Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

The Iron Rose posted:

Nobody ever wants to hire entry level, or even worse, *train* people, so the standard approach of “lying” combined with “studying independently” is the way to go here.

This is what I've been doing while looking for (ideally) entry level enterprise work. Working on projects for myself is at least kind of fun while I'm trying to earn my trifecta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

crossposting from infosec thread, happy friday #CISOLife

https://twitter.com/dakacki/status/1651614307950501888

Giving my employees the 1000 Mile LinkedIn stare as I reassure them that defense in depth is in fact "pejoratively gay" and telling them that I configured deny on all secure traffic on our firewalls this morning.

Susat
May 31, 2011

App13 posted:

gently caress yeah, work is sending me to defcon this year

Looks like ya boy is going to need a burner phone

It is the stupidest idea but if I was going to defcon with a burner phone I'd try to get on the wall of sheep with a funny username/partial passphrase and a honeypot email address.

Susat
May 31, 2011

This is probably a really dumb question, but I've been trying to get my first entry level IT job- Do employers expect to have keywords that seem generic, like "Communication" or "Teamwork" on there to get past the filter too?

If so, I've been doing this a little wrong :psyduck:

Susat
May 31, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Maybe. But I think you’d get your rear end kicked if you put that on your resume. Working as a team or communicated with leadership on best processes in polite post or chatgpt that to make it nicer.

Cyks posted:

I would rather you mention projects that you utilized teamwork and communication on rather than just saying “you’re a team player.”

I’d be more forgiving to somebody who wrote down either of those as a skill only if they are fresh out of high school.

Ok, yeah, that makes more sense. I don't have any enterprise/business direct experience with IT, just some freelancing stuff I did during/after college. My current job does fit the teamwork/communication stuff at least.

Thanks for the answers.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I love being a dev because of people like this, it's amazing how many people know how to write code and literally nothing else. Rise of the bootcamp I guess

Becoming like that one reddit devops guy who talked poo poo in the user info except I'm writing can/can't read so I have plausible deniability on who I'm poking fun at.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I finally have a promising interview at a place that was very adamant to send me up to a higher level position when I told them my history + certs. It's IT for a tech warehouse company in a nearby town. It's only about 40k a year doing server tech work but that's a significant pay bump for me right now especially when you factor in the teacher retirement account stuff right now.

Wish me luck, it's not quite YOTJ stuff but I'm so exhausted with being an underpaid janitor.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I got my first job.

I'm gonna be doing repairs on commercial pre-configured servers and some low-voltage equipment.

Susat
May 31, 2011

i am a moron posted:

Goongratulations! That’s a pretty good get for the first job, you’re gonna learn some stuff that is getting abstracted out for a lot of people. Always good to have an edge like that

Dandywalken posted:

that rules. congrats!

Thank you all!

I'm excited, so I'm gonna be antsy in the following weeks while I wait to start.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I guess trip report from my new job, they haven't made me sign an NDA (or apparently completed my background check lol) or anything

So I'm mostly doing diagnostics, stress testing and repair on defective server intake from AWS and Microsoft.
The one I've spent the most time loving around with specifically has a single diode in two spots on the main board that explodes, cracks and I've seen the tiny gashes it makes in the silicon. This board comes with about 120k worth of FPGA processors and GPUs on board. So it involves scrapping and sending those units back to Nvidia and soldering in replacement diodes for those that haven't explored yet.

I'm handling and repairing like 2.5 million in server equipment each day. :psyduck:
Its kinda nuts to think about.

Susat
May 31, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Hardware owns. There’s something about having something physical right in front of you that you can actually fix with your hands (with tools) that seems so much more… satisfying than successfully troubleshooting software issues.

I will say that the time goes by incredibly fast while I'm doing teardowns of the servers running dual epyc CPUs, it's a process that requires a specially machined board to take out the switchboard inside.

tehinternet posted:

“Cloud Hardware Repair”

I envision it as throwing computer parts from high altitude

I think a lot about dropping stuff right now. Our setup isn't ideal for my clumsy rear end. We have rubber mats that have a small profile to them but they're still taller than they need to be.

It doesn't help that I have an esd ankle bracelet that I keep stumbling over when sidestepping.

New job is a little challenging right now just because there's so much information to take in (also serviceme is bad) but there's definitely some bliss in just doing teardowns and rebuilds for most of the day.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyways, watch Nimona. It's very good. Preferably while high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fuHRyQbOc

I need to watch it. I've been following Nimona's creator for a long time, back when he made a comic called Lumberjanes which also was p. Good.

I believe he was working on showrunning stuff like the new she-ra for the last while. I'm glad to see he's getting a crack at his own creations.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Maybe a weird question but does anyone have any good pocketbook recommendations for networking, cloud, or Linux stuff? There are some days where we're getting close to two hours with nothing to do except stare at server heads running tests and I'm getting my itch to study again.

Technically we have laptops with Internet access but I'm at will and there's no AUP I could find so I'm not ready to risk it yet.

Susat
May 31, 2011

One of the guys I work with is a greybeard who really knows his poo poo around linux OS stuff and I respect what he has to say because I want to learn as much as I can from him while on this job, but today I had to face into the server outtake in a desperate attempt to hide my laughter because he kept calling Kali Linux "Kayla" repeatedly and I couldn't take it.

He and the Venezuelan Engineer guy I work with really seem to have a grudge against each other.

Susat
May 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

Don't laugh at pronunciation, it just means they read it and have never talked out loud about it. :colbert:

me, who once called the web server "engeenix" and was made to feel like poo poo about it.

That's fair, I definitely didn't mean any harm by it, it genuinely just caught me off guard.

NGINX is one of those things I was mentally pronouncing like "N-Gihn-icks" until I was watching some youtuber talk about it and felt very silly.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I might have broken a benchmarking server today, it's kind of hard to tell. Oops

The config we're using has two m.2s on a pci bus with backup copies of the Linux OS we're using but naturally the servers are supposed to download the OS using a PXE. I spent most of my day staring at server heads because we ran out of motherboards, running new tests on the GPU-integrated models that had an outdated FPGA firmware so we could update them and benchmark them normally. Greybeard and Engineer guy are teaching the new guy how to do his job, so he's mostly working on the few dual CPU servers we have that we can service.

I'm going through our backlog of servers from oldest, we have one from a few days ago that failed a test and had a new chassis installed by greybeard, someone apparently managed to chip one of the thumbscrews so the whole thing needed to be replaced. I just logged another server for QC that had been there for a week and it was next on the list, so I grabbed it and tossed it in. It takes like 5 minutes just to get past BIOS, PXE can't get data to execute and manually booting the OS off the m.2 gives us networking errors and boots to GRUB. So I pull it out and the C baseboard connector has few pins that look absolutely destroyed.

I don't *think* i managed to mishandle the server that badly, especially given the rest of the pins look fine, and the rack baseboard connectors also look fine after some investigation, but Greybeard is pissed and there's a lack of documentation about who handled what so we have no idea where the server broke between investigation and testing, but given it failed an SSD test early on and had its motherboard replaced *again* I suspect it was kind of early on. Stressful end to an otherwise peaceful day.

Susat
May 31, 2011

SyNack Sassimov posted:

<blinks> I had no idea we had traveled back to 2002 already.

Hey listen, so, while we're here - you guys may think Bush is an rear end in a top hat, and you're not wrong, but let me tell you, it can and will get worse.

What's a cloud? And can you send me back with some demotivational posters to help explain this?

FISHMANPET posted:

I know Susat's post sounds like it comes from the past, but if you check their history, you see that they're doing hardware repair for cloud vendors. Another reminder that the cloud is just someone else's compo.

Yeah I think somewhere on a manifest I saw that these servers are specifically being run by AWS and Microsoft, they're between 1-3 years old which is how we get the weird FPGA Firmware mismatch stuff that nVidia provided us with testing scripts for.

One day I'll touch a cloud server from the other side that isn't my own linode server

Susat
May 31, 2011

Hey this is a huge stupid newbie question, but if I want to improve a system we have in operation and have the knowledge to do so, would it be strange to bring that to my Boss' attention even if that's not really a role I fill?

We've been vacillating between work and no work and the no-work is so mind numbing ((no phones beyond our security gates *at all* unless you're a special case like a manager or engineer)) I've started learning powershell to make little GUI tools so we can automate some things *just* to make the time tick a little faster. Because otherwise it's just reading documents that aren't really useful for my ADHD rear end to memorize without having the process there to perform.

Today I realized: Our IAM is a gigantic mess, I don't think we *have* an actual IT department, just Techs, and System Engineers? and I think one or two of the system engineers actually handles our domain access, and uh, There's basically zero accountability for who has access to whose identity. It's pure chaos. People put their passwords on their laptops clamshell and bring them to other sections of the building, and everyone's password is some variant of "XXXXX1234" (same 5 letters)

I haven't even told you the worst part about this, The nVidia division right now across *All* employees is about 8 people. We're supposed to get more this month as we move into our new section of the building. They don't issue a new laptop for like a month at my job, so I've been using someone else's while I perform repairs, and logging everything under their engineering code.

I think I might have hosed up but I want to learn as much as I can before I try to move on.

Susat
May 31, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Finished my PowerShell script and somehow it works. Gonna send it to the greybeard to see if he has any tips and look into error catching. Legit sad I didn't have time to finish it today but I've already got like two hours of time to flex off next week.

I feel the "Somehow it works" with powershell big time. I spent most of my time learning a fair amount of it throughout the week because we had nothing better to do.

My goal is pretty simple, I'm just making a GUI so people can input data, it'll check for if a folder is made and if not it'll make it using the serial code + today's date.

Also as an update, I spoke to my boss yesterday about what I mentioned in my last post regarding the problems with our IAM/really slow rollout of necessary equipment to do our job. We don't seem to know *who* our IT department is and he's never even met any of them in the three years he's been at this place.

Turns out all of our requests get sent to an e-mail address remote that's just <company_name_IT@domain.com>. Not even as a support ticket, just an e-mail. So.. yeah, it's hard to tell if there's even a road to hoe here, let alone if we can change anything.

Susat
May 31, 2011

thewizardofshoe posted:

Are you sure there IS an IT department?

Not even a little bit sure.

My source on that is we have neighboring division that does intake on cisco products for configuration and deployment and when the network went down they all left because it turns out they're our first responders for network issues. So we're both a combination of our own IT department but we also don't do our own domain configuration?

The more pieces I put together the worse this all seems. That said it's pretty easy for a first job right now, but I'm already kind of planning to look onward after some more time. Our management is questionably incapable as well, I like my co-workers and boss a lot at least.

Susat
May 31, 2011

The Fool posted:

powershell is a bad tool for making a gui

jaegerx posted:

https://flutter.dev

For real, if you're gonna write a gui for anything, USE THIS.

Thanks, I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.

I know so little about scripting and programming in general, these little projects are good excuses to learn as much as I can. :)

Susat
May 31, 2011

Well,

So today we crammed 8 techs across 4 workbenches and two of our decoupling benches (basically big metal slabs designed to yank a switchboard off the server motherboards) because the new division office was supposed to be ready today, but staging went wrong.

They brought two of our decoupling benches and a 200lb (I'm not a strong lady, so my actual estimate could be way off) server across the building so an nVidia project guy could tell them how to set it up, turns out the contractor electricians bungled it and when they ran the server, the moment current draw picked up it tripped overvolt protection on the server and it shut down. So they got to cart that fuckin' thing all the way back across the building so we could investigate it and run tests on it. Thankfully it seems like it's fine.

Now the contractors are back to apparently rewire the entire thing. So we won't be moving into it for another week at least.

What a mess though.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Today was neat, sat down with two nVidia engineers (in the AC, thank gently caress) and learned a bunch about the direct architecture on these new servers we're going to be repairing soon.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Nvidia engineers are back today. And we're going over the testing process for their GPU servers. Got a quiet, fearful "oh poo poo" when he dropped a 10,000 dollar known-good GPU in the ground.

Susat
May 31, 2011

jaegerx posted:

In the box?

It fell straight off the board on to the floor and rolled because he was grabbing the motherboard to flip it over

e: this was from our "Golden Unit" as well which means it's the kind of thing that eventually gets shipped to other companies for testing comparisons and benchmarking, I think.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Today I mysteriously found my serviceme production on the wrong production group.

Also our AV has been configured to block USB devices access which is critical to my job.

Man idk what our IAM guys are doing but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Susat
May 31, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Out of curiosity, how big is your org? It’s hard for my to imagine having a dedicated IAM team that handles nothing else.

Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing with my terminology, I just meant whoever is doing our Identity and Access as a task on our internal IT side.
Our org is pretty big though, we have like 15 different sites around the world.

It seems like they have different criteria of which policies should be applied, because the issues aren't universal. For example only the engineer I work with an I have had issues with the AV blocking USB devices. Two of the other techs haven't yet.

I did, despite having kind of a downer day (Bad drive to work and access issues, boo), manage to troubleshoot a data mismatch issue nobody else was able to do while our senior linux guy was on lunch and also get a good amount of scripting in python done.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I'm so tired, we've been getting new division stuff ready, and it seems like we're finally moving offices next week. Done with labor stuff for now, got a bunch of OT and DT that I'm going to waste on booze and homosexuality treating my wife to a nice birthday.

So I've been developing another app in python to hook into our ServiceMe forms and hopefully automate more stuff meanwhile since we have zero systems to work on this week.
I actually kind of like automation? It was just to have something to do before, but I've been slowly learning python to make this other application and it's kind of like solving a big useful puzzle to me. It feels good.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I'm actually considering getting the networking and security degree from WGU since I apparently have it mostly completed and I'm already considering going for my CCNA which is part of it.

Also we're at week 9 and finally settled in with our division. I've now the main document person for my shift, right now I'm combing through issue docs to make a troubleshooting guide for the heavy duty FPGA servers.

Last week some engineers dropped off a handful of servers that are apparently not in production for sale and they're twice the size of the Deltas. We have to use a small lift to get them into the rack.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I've been having nothing but "run-in" (systems going through stress testing) problems all week. Granted it's been a shorter week. I got a system from Google that I can't actually test without asking my engineer for help because of data mismatch.

Then another system had it's main board swapped, passed the first round of testing, got pulled so we could fix a broken tester failing to BMC reset properly (needed to update MAC and TPM data for each new unit) and mysteriously poo poo the bed and died overnight. Ran it in and it only error codes power up issues recorded previously after reboot failures. nVidia has not been helpful with deciphering this and it's their proprietary board. :iiam:

Last system I touched today is.. fine except when I try to grab the vBios data for my log. No issues with the 10,000 dollar GPUs or anything. I can use some scripting similar to "touch" to figure out what the actual bios information is but the moment I try to pull that data for my log it causes a kernel panic. Have some more legwork I gotta do but gonna guess that's corrupted.

Susat
May 31, 2011

I think I'm about to make my first enemy at work whether I want to or not.

I'm starting to get pretty knowledgeable about our testing and clerical process to the point where co-workers and my supervisor are relying on me.. a lot. Our supervisor started last week and I've more or less been training her on some of the clerical aspects of the job. She's actually pretty nice and I like her but right now I'm expected to get lab data and document at least two systems a day but it's been getting in the way of me managing things in a timely manner. I stayed about 20 minutes late just trying to enter my lab data into nVidia's side of things- Which I normally wouldn't have had to do except I had to do a big hunt for some service issues all thanks to one co-worker.

He.. claims? To have worked at an MSP for 8 years from L1 to L3 and got fired for attendance (I believe this part, at least) He spent his first four weeks here basically avoiding hands-on experience with our systems. He seems to either just do things sort of arbitrarily or without forethought, planning or determining certainty. I think he's deluded himself into believing he has a photographic memory (It's what he keeps saying) but he's proven he doesn't understand our process even.. a little bit.

So having supposedly observed our process and been told we're not allowed to handle our materials several times, he just goes and grabs one of these boards that were delivered for other techs to use in swaps- nothing to document but then still ordered some through our warehouse process for delivery so he gets.. extra mainboards and then uses them on other systems without actually doing the documentation on the parts, so we have a mystery shortage and I have to comb through material orders to figure out who still needs boards and actually had their ticket fulfilled. Then.. same day he goes in to our server room and sees a test has in GIGANTIC GREEN LETTERS "Press enter to Reboot" written on it, and he pushes enter and then yanks the plugs out of the PDU. :sbahj:

And then puts his own system in.

I had to pull my supervisor aside after this and just be like "lookit this fuggin guy" for a moment and she agreed he needs more training. Then today my manager swooped in and paired him with the guy who's system he pulled after looking at the material ticket order I helped fix because he ordered several mainboards for *one* system.

Susat
May 31, 2011

If I'm being honest I think "more training" is the last resort (or close enough to it) before we call this an attitude problem and delete him. The guy who got saddled with him after our manager showed up was like "it looks like he knows how to do his job as long as someone is watching him"

This morning on the walk in he was bragging about how he clocked in, got back in his car, and parked so he wouldn't be "late"

I think he's a dipshit and the clock is ticking

Susat
May 31, 2011

johnny park posted:

Thank you. This makes me feel so much better about my own mistakes/impostor syndrome

I honestly also feel dumb as hell at my job all the time but this guy makes me feel like a god queen of touching computers.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I've always regretted not quitting on the spot right there.

That's just incredible boss brain right there. "It doesn't look nice so I will fix it" it reminds me at my old job as a janitor working for the state of texas we had a notorious member of the Administrative leadership who would throw an actual fit if we left a wet floor sign on a floor that had finished drying. Keep in mind we were taking care of a 315,000 square foot building where college students spill their blue drink all the time and had other duties to attend to.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Well, chump lumpkin got his rear end fired. On friday he turned up almost 30 minutes late which apparently highlighted the dastardly he was doing with his weird clock-in scam and they checked the camera pointing right at the timeclock.

In other news the most frustrating thing of late is that I'm either waiting for engineer feedback or waiting for sleds to drop servers into. I lowkey wish I could take a photo of our lab because it looks really disorganized and awful, we have so many systems that are either waiting for parts or waiting for an engineer from nVidia to tell us what we already know. No personal phones allowed anywhere we work at though, sadly. I have 5 of them that are just kind of hanging out around my desk in various stages of per-testing.

The sleds we have are apparently custom machined at nVidia's request so we have to hope that they'll send us more for the ones that are broken.

Susat
May 31, 2011

So uh, your girl got a promotion.

I came back late from my break yesterday, got pulled aside and my manager yells "Meeting!" At me, I go huh? Meeting? Yeah meeting, bring notes. Day shift and mid shift supervisor and L2 are also coming. He said my name got thrown out there for being the acting team lead for my shift
I got pulled into a meeting with the Nvidia engineers while they go over some feedback for our tech team.
Meeting ends, I'm full panic, manager tells me I got picked over everyone else for my shift because of my technical knowledge and willingness to help my team learn stuff.
So I'm now the team lead and L2 for my shift.

I'm low key terrified but also kinda excited. I spent most of today following our engineer around while we were testing potential DOA boards to isolate issues.

Susat
May 31, 2011

thewizardofshoe posted:

Congrats!! Kinda terrifying to be put on the spot like that but it sounds well deserved.

I applied for a promotion at my job today, hopefully the HR process is mostly a formality, but I’m still going to be sweating internally until I get the final word.

I'm wishing you luck, this job has changed a lot for me, and this promotion will hopefully give me more stability.

My first job as midshift lead was to follow the engineer around and test DOA motherboards, and my second job was to come in on saturday and fix our documentation. Luckily I got some fat OT hours for that so I'm not complaining as much as I am exhausted.

We got audited by an nVidia guy and nobody (me included) was doing the on paper documentation because you could always check both of our websites to figure out where a unit was, and then we failed again because not only did people not fix what they were supposed to, they also weren't writing down which station they were at.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Promotions are all fake in the tech industry. They find someone to just dump more work on, append a title, and give a 5% raise.

Take the title, update Linkedin, and go some where do to just that one job, and get a 20% raise. :getin:

Deffo going to be a part of the plan.

I have roughly a year-ish max before I move out of the job guaranateed, My wife and I want to go back to minnesota because texas is not really a hospitable state to be in. So part of the goals in this is learning as much as I can before I move.

Susat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 24, 2023

Susat
May 31, 2011

Hoo god I'm tired from the last few days so I'm sorry if this meanders a lot.

Has anyone ever just had a guy who's job it is to come in and look at you? And like not do much else?

So as team lead I now have to pay close attention to our process and how we're doing it, including talking to nvidia people. I don't deal with the day shift people, but man they're making life difficult for all of us. Each system has a piece of paper that goes with it, that shows basically what processes its been to, which station it should be in, what labwork has been done on it, etc.

So today gearing up for the audit sometime later this week, we've got a guy from our contract who's job it seems like is to just kinda come in and look for stuff that's "wrong" like a piece of paper on a baseboard (NOT ESD SAFE :byodame:) or a bench missing drills that person doesn't need (I accidentally caught the photos peeking over my supervisor's shoulder to ask a question) and other stuff like that.

We have one specific engineer who makes the excel file for the piece of paper that has all the distinguishing information for that unit, it's not *super* hard to replicate but it has some database stuff in the excel file to automatically convert certain numbers to what they'll be when that unit goes for packout.

There's this guy on day shift who is also a spreadsheet genie except he has no way to access the referential database stuff to get the automatically converted number so it turns out that a lot of the extra work I've been doing chasing units down to make sure their information is right is caused by this.

In the last few days he's been making more of these and apparently yesterday he shared a version that looks radically different from the expected version, so the guy coming in and staring at stuff noticed this and told our manager so now I've been hunting these down.
I don't know if I really care that he's doing his own thing but he's making more pointless work for me which is annoying.

This was all just to lead up to the experience I got today while I was doing some work, where the Guy Who's Job It Is To Stare just kinda walked in while I was alone, slowly walked around my sextuplet of benches several times and then left and I had to stop myself from laughing every few steps. And then I cracked open a ten thousand dollar GPU right as he walks out the door and found someone managed the impressive feat of crushing a gnat in the pins, so we have to send it back lmfao. Amazing.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Oof. I had a day. :smith:

I guess I stepped into the crosshairs of some Project Manager because I responded to an e-mail and he was on the CC- I was told to reply to everyone in the list and now I guess he's pressuring my boss about some stuff related to the project.

All I did was thank the engineer for answering my question, we've been shoring up open cases over the last few days and I've been busy trying to get the techs and engineers both what they need to solve open problems.

So I walked in this morning and morning shift supervisor (not my boss or my supervisor) yelled (Actually yelled) at me for this mistake.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know the details about what you're talking about, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to yell at anyone at work. I don't know what your options are here, but you should find a way to make sure that never happens again.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on what I can do just yet. I'm not really required to interact with this person much so I think I'm just going to avoid him whenever I can.

Thankfully our audit seems to have gone well. And things will probably slow down for me a lot now. But man that sure soured me on a day I was already anxious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Sepist posted:

Yea, being yelled at in a professional environment is a no-bueno. Happened to me once consulting at a law firm (sysadmin with a chip on their shoulder) and I was gone within a month. Completely unacceptable.

Justin Credible posted:

That situation really sucks, and I'm sorry to say your direct supes are also poo poo if they allowed that to happen and didn't stand up for you when it happened. There is absolutely no reason for it.

And keep in mind with how fast you've moved up (I hope you got a new title), you could parlay that into something else possibly - depending on your locale and what's available.

My one direct supervisor is nice and knowledgeable but she's also incredibly meek.

I did also get a new title, I'm now an L2 Lead Technician. I plan to hopefully leverage that asap but I've also only been here for three months. I'm working on my network engineering BA with the hope that + my experience and certs will help propel me into another position soon-ish.

Also I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread for the support, I genuinely felt pretty down and lovely after what happened. I feel considerably less insane knowing that this is not necessarily a feature I should put up with.