Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In my experience they always try and push for me to talk about Salary first. I just say "more" and laugh until they give me a range. I hope they get that i'm being jokey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I stand by my last recruiter. She called up, said she had a job, outlined exactly what it was and gave me the salary that they're hiring for. I turned up fairly casually dressed (shirt and jeans as I was kinda poor at the time) and she just told me straight up I need some proper trousers and made me buy some. She also actually drove me to the interview, which was really nice of her. She didn't have to.

I got that job. Granted, i'm now trying desperately to get out of it, but how was she to know that the company would treat its employees way worse down the line?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not one of those people who farts because ha ha farting is funny - I'm 32, come on bro.

That said, losing track of mute-unmute-mute-unmute-mute-unmute on a conference call and letting one fly, only to then realize that you're unmuted, oh thank god IT is a man's world, otherwise I might have to feel shame.

If you can't appreciate a good loud fart once in a while, you're dead inside.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spiny posted:

apropos of nothing, but making me smile:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity

Definitely showing my friends this, this is great.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

orange sky posted:

Ask him if he is well versed in ICMP.

There goes my drink all over my desk you glorious bastard.

---------------------------------------------

So i've been raised up to a new team at work, its for new software and we have assigned clients that we take care of, rather than just picking up whoever calls. We work in teams of two and everyone in the team is in the same room i'm in. Its pretty awesome and I get to use some of my residue database/coding knowledge to decipher the dev speak, as we work pretty closely with the dev team.

Its a godsend compared to first line and because the clients that I work with are my clients rather just a client, I definitely feel way more motivated.

Best part? The teams meant to have a meeting each week and I threw out the idea of just having that meeting at the pub at the end of the day as its just across the road. They love the idea :getin:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 8, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Rent a U-haul van and get some moving pads. Wrap the servers with the pads and shrink-wrap the whole mess. Get a cart and two bodies and load each server on the cart, take it to the van and unload it, then rinse and repeat. If your workplace balks at paying a couple hundred bucks for the cost then those servers ain't getting moved.

Pretty much this. If I move a server or a big UPS (some of those fuckers are so heavy and unwieldy) then I am getting someone to help me, i'm getting some form of trolley for it to go on and the person who's helping me lift has to at least have some muscke. Back injuries aren't worth it. The truck is self explanatory and I don't think its worth ruining a civics suspension for your company.

Can't you just draft a random dude who has a small workload to give you a hand for the day?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 12, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Inspector_666 posted:

Hahaha I was commuting a good 1-1.5 hours each way to my previous job.

I still do. I wouldn't mind it so much, but its 20 minutes of walking, 10 minutes on a train so crowded you can't sit down, 20 minutes of waiting at a station, 10 minutes on a train where I can sit down before another 15 minutes of walking.

If it was straight "get on train, relax for an hour" I wouldn't mind the commute nearly as much.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

adorai posted:

I expect my staff to handle around 20-25 tickets a day, give or take depending on volume and difficulty.

I wouldn't take this as a for every company though, Jim Trud. The company i'm at usually has a 8 tickets closed a day average because there's just so much red tape to cut through (and x amounts of tickets not counting due to reasons). Best thing to do is look at your competent workers. Not the best, because they're statistical anomaly's, same as the worst guys (there is a guy in my workplace who manages to blaze through double the tickets everyone else does in a day, I have no idea how he does it).

Once you look at them, just see how many tickets they do per day for a week and you have your answer for you company. Our experiences might be different depending on what you support, what your users are like, what the companies policy's are and how they track tickets.

E: For example, the company I work for pulls around 80-100 tickets a day with 10 first line engineers, with 3 more in training. We average around 8 a day as previously mentioned on first line.

In my team, we actually tend to manage maybe one ticket per day per engineer, due to the tickets we get having 12 points on them, which end up being a mix of development requests, environment changes and fiddling with the software. A lot of our time is currently spent arguing with development on what is and isn't a feature too.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 27, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually got to see mine. My managers thought it'd be motivating for us all. What actually happened is that we saw how many of the tickets that we fixed being credited to other teams due to the system and everyone just got pissy at it instead.

It's probably better that you don't see your metrics sometimes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That bank reminds me of Wolf of Wall Street where every call they made out was made by a "senior vice president".

Are you sure the bank wasn't run by that guy?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MF_James posted:

Driving home from a 16 hour day to an angry girlfriend, can't win at work or at home. Also have to be back in the office in 8 hours and it takes an hour to commute in the morning. serenity now, insanity later.

Also construction taking a highway down to one lane :(

Why are you going in that early after 16 hours of work?

Bonus chat: Don't take it into account. I argued with my boss over this about half a year ago when he wanted to give me my entire raise as a monthly "bonus" instead of base salary. He tried to tell me that they always give out the bonuses and that that never take it away. He just wanted an "incentive" for people to come in rather than stay off if they have a "headache".

I argued that he might as well stick it as base salary if he was going to pay it every month and put a bonus on top as that's how an incentive works. He agreed. First time I took a sick day, he took the bonus away.

Don't believe what they say, get it as base salary or don't count it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 4, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Being a good salesman is pretty well paid work. I've got a friend who sells carpets, gets a 2% commission.

A company representative went in to see him last week and he sold them an entire 6 floor buildings worth of carpets. He was only chatting to them for three hours, got himself around £1400.

e: Granted, he told me he gets a ridiculous commission percentage and this is the first time he's made so much in one sale, but :drat:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 4, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Accretionist posted:

What's cost of living like in the UK? Like, single adult, bare minimum, in the US is like $14k to $25k depending on whether you're in Walla Walla, Washington or Washington D.C.

Absolute bare minimum for me, if I assume I eat £80 of food a week and pay £700 on a single flat, that comes to £9360 or so. Then add bills (travel, emergency stuff) and you're probably looking at wanting to earn around £14000 - £16000 to be comfortable. That's renting though, I want a house. Or I at least want to own my own home.

But I don't actually live by myself, never have. Take my numbers (and maths, red text and all) with a pinch of salt.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sales blows and I will never again do it.

You know that bonus that was said not to count on? Replace that with commission.

Just give me a flat paycheck that I can depend on, thanks.

Eh, he's just putting it down towards a deposit for a flat. Like a bonus, if you treat it as an unexpected windfall rather than what you plan on living on month to month its not that much of an issue. I get a little bit as a bonus each month and I just have an extra couple of drinks at the pub or treat myself to a nice meal.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 4, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did £80 per week suddenly become a lot? Because that seems like a shockingly low amount to spend on food.

I don't know, I wasn't counting my funds, I literally googled "cost of food per week in x" and copied the cost across. It doesn't seem that unreasonable. I could probably cut it down lower if I was really strapped for cash but then again eating a can of beans a day isn't that appealing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A good thing I'm British then! :downs:

My post was of course hyperbole. But considering Dogstile's post concerning the bare minimum, £80 a week is far from it. Foreign supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl have caused the bigger, more established shops such as Tesco, Asda etc to engage in a massive price cut war. It's entirely possible to live on £20 a week. You won't enjoy it though.

Well I mentioned I could live far cheaper. But £80 covers eating out once a week, which everyone my age seems to want to do. It's definitely possible to live a hell of a lot cheaper, but you'd be miserable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, its official. My company has been bought out. This has never happened to me before. I got the whole speech of "we want to expand, we want to be a great company to work for" etc etc.

I'm fairly sure i'm safe, i've recently been moved the the team that is pushing our new product, which is the product the company that bought us wants to expand. They want to open up US offices and spread our product over there too. I'm just wondering if any of the UK guys have noticed any massive culture changes with foreign buyouts, anything I should be worried about?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I honestly feel bad for most of the salaried people here. I'm salaried, but if I do overtime I get paid at an hourly rate. Good thing too, I would not work 32 hour weekends without it.

(site installations are awful when they go wrong, by the way. Thanks for asking)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tab8715 posted:

And take showers on a regular basis with soap...

I have never met someone like this who gets past the interview process. How anyone would do it at a hospital is beyond me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's almost as if most people want to unwind after working. Saying most good engineers are alcoholics or socially stunted is pretty funny too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dark Helmut posted:

Change the location from their office to a bar over happy hour/a nice dinner and tossing them a few suggestions becomes more palatable.

This is a good idea. My brother's boss wanted a few people to come back and discuss what they're doing wrong. I suggested the bar and people actually popping by went from 0% to around 20%.

Hey, it wasn't much better, but they got somewhere.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty impressive stuff there. Nice work

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A meeting came in. They're thinking of moving people to America to train a new support team.

I really need to convince my girlfriend that this is a viable thing for us. If nothing else, no import prices for some of the materials I buy. Plus, I get to move away from my current town, which i'd love to do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evobatman posted:

Why do you hate having health insurance and statutory workers rights?

It wouldn't be a permanent thing, i'm young enough to want to do this sort of thing while I don't have to much tying me down to one place and it'd be cool to live out there for a little bit. I would also get health cover.

So nothing would really change except location and the chance to train up a brand new team. It would also look good on any application forms.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

Where in the states?

Not got a location decided yet, either California somewhere or Boise in Idaho I think. This wouldn't be happening for around a year mind, but its exciting stuff. Especially as i'm one of five people who can do it. Right now i'm just getting buddy buddy with the VP, which is really cool. Spent a good three hours chatting to him today.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 15, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its two weeks man, just let it go. It can't be that much extra money and a good reference is important.

(Probably)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Trauma posted:

What's up early bird? I get up around 0420 a few times a week to get to the gym before it opens. Cardio some days, lifting others. Also I walk a mile to work, about half is uphill. After three years of that I must be in better shape.

I kind of missed this but how do you manage to function after you go to the gym? I've just got back from mine and i'm wiped out. I just want to sleep.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Starting strength, wipes me out. I feel really good for around half an hour after I shower and get home, after that I crash.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Docjowles posted:

What about the drinking problem you develop trying to write Expect scripts? The real sad part is that I agree, it's probably the best option.

It's simple, he just asks his boss for a raise to cover the cost of alcohol.

(I kind of hope someone has tried that)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A manager just told me that he's seen how well i've been working recently and told me to keep up the good work.

I don't even care that the rest of this place is awful most of the time, today has been nice and nothing will change that :unsmith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RadicalR posted:

Did this praise come with a payraise? If not... time for pot.

Of course not, i'm just happy. I've not been told i've done well once since i've been here, i'm usually invisible unless something has gone wrong that needs fixing. Having someone acknowledge i've made progress with how I work is just nice.

Got a pay review in a week anyway, by the way. Unrelated to today.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Windblows? I'd expect to hear that from like, the guy with the sweetest gaming rig on the helpdesk, but farther than that I'd expect a little decorum.

We had a guy like that on the helpdesk, he didn't last to long because he was in a room full of people who were fine with windows supporting windows for people who liked windows and therefore most of us would just rip into him every time he mentioned his linux superiority.

I also currently have the sweetest gaming rig on the team. Not that I ever get the chance to use it anymore, being an adult is hard :smith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

go3 posted:

People enjoy the illusion of being kept 'in the loop' and managers are more than happy to play that stupid game so uh get used to wasting time keeping people up to date on trivial things

Honestly, since I started physically walking between development, the other IT room and my one regularly, my manager's opinion of me has gone up loads. He just assumes i'm doing things. Before I had to justify my time, now I don't.

Granted, i'm not doing as much work because i'm walking around, but it feels nice to walk and get out of the chair for a bit, plus my tickets only take an extra couple minutes to resolve. I'm willing to trade that for my boss not making me justify literally everything I do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

internet jerk posted:

Two months of PTO. This might be an unpopular opinion but unless it's due to health issues or something on that level then eight weeks paid time off being taken all at the same time is bullshit.

I kind of agree, there was a guy who skipped out for a month just after a new client was installed, leaving me to handle the 250 tickets or so they raised in a few days (sometimes I wonder what our trainers and field techs are doing).

Two months and i'm fairly sure I would have started etching "die" over and over again into my desk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Put it on his desk and set it on fire. (Don't actually do this)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can someone explain to me how people sit in a meeting for more than 15 minutes without feeling like they're going to fall asleep? My last one was an hour long and as usual, didn't apply to the team i'm in but because we're still "support" we get dragged in anyway.

I just want to work dammit :smith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I got referred to as a resource once. I gave the guy a dirty look and it must have been an angry one because since then he's referred to me by name.

I'm a person, I have a goddamn name.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I nabbed a job in IT as the young help desk whippersnapper. It's my first job in IT, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Though I'll probably hate help desk in 6 months or so.

It took me a week before I found a client who yelled at me for having to investigate their problem. I hated helpdesk after that, 6 months is a very, very long estimate

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Right, I figure I'll work on getting some sort of cert that can help me become maybe a junior sys admin or something like that while I'm on the desk. I certainly don't want to be stuck on help desk forever, I'm just happy I got my foot in the door and out of retail.

Aye, treat it like a stepping stone. I'm now out of main helpdesk (I still pick up a phone every now and again) and IT is wonderful now.

E: Took me 8 months to get away from it, so hopefully yours will be a shorter stint.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, this will be for a company that according to linked in is around 50 people, and the role that described to me was "help desk, remoting into people's computers, and repairing/reimaging people's computers that we bring in from the field". So basically help desk with a side of desktop support I'm guessing.

The company supposedly supports small to medium sized businesses.

Sounds kind of like how I started out, a little bit of hardware, a little bit of software, mainly remoting in and making sure backups are running, things like that.

Its not a bad gig to be honest, so long as your customers aren't awful. Way better than say, a call center where they issue you a headset, a script and some handy dandy tips for speaking in a super polite manner in exchange for your dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't know if this is a really good, clever troll or someone I should legitimately feel sorry for