Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Middle management to me has always seemed like the quickest way to get fired. Especially if you come from a technical background where you expect some productive thing to occur. I've done team lead. Never again. I don't want people working for me or having to deal with career managers that are only there to ensure they keep their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Tailored Sauce posted:

gently caress management. Techie4lyfe :c00l:

Amen. I'm gonna be that 60 year old guy in the corner that smells of whiskey with an eye patch, old grey beard, and a nasa hat. Everyone is scared of me because I've seen poo poo. One day the poo poo will hit the fan and the CEO will say "call in old salty jaegerx" and god knows I will walk into that room with the stare of a 40 year veteran of the poo poo we have seen in IT and finally say "yeah I quit"

Or I'll just solve the issue and go back home to my whiskey. I dunno. I will let you know which in 30 years.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

adorai posted:

That's not what a manager does, that's what a douche does. A manager develops business and people, and good ones do it with coaching and imagination rather than discipline.

That's the unicorn manager. Most are there for the bump in salary and bonus. If you find the unicorn you work your rear end off for them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well sorry, every interview I have gone to I've been asked "So what car do you drive"

Is this some weird off the wall Hampton Roads thing?

Ever since I ditched the Lancer Evo, bids went up.

My apologizes, I am not trying to derail the thread(I might have a history of that).

I tend to drive my bugatti to interviews and throw my keys on the table during the interview to show them that yes, I am a badass.

e: also delivery driver for pizza is not an IT interview, that's why they ask if you have a car.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 9, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It's obvious, you roll like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Pu_JuPILw

Dilbert as gently caress style.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You realize daf got us on this derail and it's been kept going.

On topic. If you're inviting me to a meeting room to explain in detail how something works it better have a whiteboard that I can draw on. Just hooking your laptop up to a projector and throwing mspaint at me isn't gonna work.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

To continue my on topic talk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1591842697?pc_redir=1407453581&robot_redir=1

This is built for sales engineers but works for techs too. I find drawing out the ideas and plans I have in front of the guys with the money gets me the most results.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Thank you guys. I've decided in the future to go to a four year college. In terms of Bachelors should I go for computer science or computer information systems? I heard Georgia State University is one of the best in the country for Bachelors based on Tech

Don't waste your time on CS or CIS. Get a business degree. Best programmer I know has a history degree and one of the better sysadmins is in English. It's certs and experience for IT. Business degree shows you understand how the overall company works and it's appreciated upstairs.

E: and don't listen to dilbert as gently caress. Ever. Especially not on the weekends when he's drinking.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I have a GED, I left highschool early to start a career in ISP tech support. Moved on to sysadmin for a wireless ISP and now I'm a Systems Architect for a fortune 1000 company.

I have an RHCA, CCNP, and working on my CCIE in security.

Please ignore everything dilbert as gently caress says, he's a complete idiot and should stay on his meds.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

12 years same place. I have 5 weeks of PTO and a 3 month paid sabatical after being here for at least 7 years.

Also floating holiday time since we are 24/7/365 so if I work a holiday I get a day off whenever I want.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you salaried people not bank your OT hours or something? Why would you work for nothing?

As an American employee its expected we work to finish whatever we have. My team has a designated on call week for each person and they get the next Friday off.

If I get called during my on call week and it disturbs my sleep schedule enough I'm allowed to come in late the next day to compensate.

E: this working to finish is maintenance or downed systems. I can't just bolt if something goes bad at 5. Gotta fix it.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 9, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

What?? Are you saying that as a salaried employee, who is paid for 8h/day and 40h/week, you do not get paid for work beyond that? Like, even into a PTO bank?

Yes

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

America. gently caress yeah. Coming around to save another loving day yeah!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I know a guy that does elevator repair. He makes $500 an hour on weekends. I gotta get into that racket.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Is that what the company bills at, or is that what he earns? We had an Avaya person come out and bill us 400/hr for some poo poo, he wasn't making anywhere near that.. maybe 10% of that.

Company but I'm sure since his usual call is like $100 an hour he probably gets a decent amount. Elevator repair everyone. It's our future.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

http://freedomhacker.net/five-million-gmail-usernames-passwords-leaked/

Bad day for some people.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

So does anyone here play active parts in User Group meets(VMUG, LUG's, etc)? Like leading discussions, planning their events, and what not?

I am interested in what people feel a pull to or what their user group wants.

You should just get drunk and tell everyone how you're here to help the IT world before your short life is taken from you. You can do that anywhere. I recommend a greyhound bus station downtown.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

The worst part is, he doesn't think he's remotely wrong :v:

I love my career and job and what I do, but the very last thing I want to do, after leaving the office, is more IT. I guess that makes me a lazy idiot alcoholic or something!

I'd just like to say I called this.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

Make sure you leave your current job on a good note. Spend your last few weeks documenting everything you can. Just brain dump as much as you can so the next guy doesn't start posting in here bitching about you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

It's going pretty ok I haven't gotten any offers or interviews yet but I've updated my resume to reflect some more technical responsibilities of my job. I also added volunteerish kind of stuff like helping friends/family/my neighborhood with PC repair and home networking. I'm hoping this will help me catch a contract and get some experience under my belt at least.

Any temp companies in your area? It's crappy backup this laptop and move outlook to new laptop but it's a start and they're usually done in a few days. Knock a few out and the contract companies will love you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Don't condition your family to thinking you'll fix any electronic problems they have for free the way I did. It's nothing but an annoying headache

God help you if you add friends into it. I am not your personal tech support. I'm just gonna google it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Like staffing agencies? I've applied through some job sites to short term contracts, like 3 months or less. I don't mind grunt work at all really, any chance to get some experience is what's important.

Go in and talk to one of them. These people make money off placing people into jobs. Email them directly and say you are willing to do anything. They will find you something cause they'll make a few bucks off of you.

E: but once you're established be a total dick to these assholes. They are seriously the scum of the industry and will place idiots like dilbert as gently caress into a job just to get their money.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

My hospital has two environments, the live production environment with actual patients that all of the clinical staff works from. Then we have a testing/training database where we create patients and perform various testing. The test/train database is a mirror copy of the production environment, except its loaded with dummy patients. Feels like the perfect ground to learn how to write queries and reports that can be used in the production environment and be beneficial to the team.

Yeah, I'm understanding that there is a logical reason to not wanting someone inexperienced touching things. Its just a little frustrating. Oh well, I'll get over it.

I'm not a SQL server expert but I'm MySQL ok and a read user still has access to create tmp tables which exist in memory. Also a select * from blah can kill a database. Since they have a slave though I don't see what the issue is. Test against the slave. Run queries on master. Seems fine to me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

adorai posted:

What's the purpose of selecting an entire LARGE table? Personally, I put a limit statement at the end of every query, just in case.

This. Limit 1. Determine the data you want and throw a where clause in.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

You raise some great points. I guess I'll put SQL goals on the back burner for a while and focus my energies on other things.

Don't go that far. SQL is great to know. Too many devs rely on sqlalchemy and it's ruby equivalent(active record?). Seriously. Learn SQL. It's amazing and will save you massive amounts of dev time.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Sequel is the equivalent (AR is nice, but a monster that's hard to use without the rest of rails).

LINQ does some really dumb things, but ORMs (broadly) write better queries than devs. Sad but true. Learning SQL to beat the orm is like learning assembly to beat the compiler: sometimes it happens, but most of the time it's better than you unless you're secretly a DBA

I started in perl and the php with dev work which was my first attempt at SQL. Luckily my company actually had MySQL come in and do training for the
MySQL certs so I got to actually learn how to use SQL.

Now I prefer my own syntax rather than sqlalchemy because I know what I want and can use SQL to get the data. It's really just what you want to learn.

If you've worked in IT for a few years you're going to be needing something out of an SQL database eventually.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

dos2unix, dos2unix

Never again, NEVER AGAIN.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

rget it. No worth argument.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 29, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

What does this even mean?

Forget it. No worth argument.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 29, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Docjowles posted:

That cat's already pretty well out of the bag. There's multiple articles in Information Week and The Register about it. Anyone who's paying attention at all to security news is aware that a patch and disclosure are coming. And I don't even run that product.

Ignore me. I need to feel important

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 29, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

[quote="evol262" post="435575321"]
There's an embargoed vulnerability, yes, but your vendor isn't going to tell you anything about what it is (if they were going to, they already would have).

I guess I prefer that any indication of severity ("something very bad") or any real details stay under the hood. I don't run or maintain that product either, and it's been pretty much an open secret for a couple of days, but a general "don't talk about vulnerabilities if there's any possibility you may have private knowledge" is generally fair advice.
[/]

Guess we can forget about security when you left my post quoted for 5 hours.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 30, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Anyone have any experience with on ramp?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

psydude posted:

I'm looking for a generic Powershell script to SSH into multiple *nix devices with multiple passwords and execute multiple bash commands. Anyone got one?

Python an option?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm more confused now than I am during a DaF meltdown night.

I think I figured out why he's getting an f

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

You can try asking, but web design (and/or computer science) may just not be cut out for you. What exactly is the problem?

Dilbert as gently caress isn't cut out for it either but bless his little heart he keeps trying.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Well this is a strange thread. Now who's Dilbert? (It can't be that comic guy)

@PCjr what do you have against maine? Nevermind that, what are you trying to say?

@Evol262: I don't know half of what I'm exactly doing, I can never catch up to the rapid lecture material, and I could care less about making websites. I'm just trying to learn programming skills to get into things like CIA analysis, and I've been slaving over this since Thursday after I flunked a test for getting one part of image link-coding wrong!

To be more specific, I'm currently trying to get up an example thumbnail and background image before figuring out how to add a footer and two sides. And then dread the next big, confusing assignment that will be due in three weeks in an endless cycle of torture.

Take your current html and paste it into pastebin then link us that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CloFan posted:

That's a local link to your computer. Unless you share the contents of your C: with us, that paste is useless. Is this your first semester of CS?

Hey now. He is trying for the cia. By the time he makes it in the NSA might as well have google searching everyone's harddrive.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Thank god he solved it. I was getting flash backs to tech support/help desk days and it was triggering me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Grouchio
Whatchu gonna do
Whatchu gonna do
Make your C: internet accessible

For science someone should setup a honeypot and do this. See how fast it gets destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I honestly don't know. I just (kind of) chose this course back in august as a test-run in IT. Which has apparently become a terrible mistake.

I cannot make this poo poo up if I tried.

Ian you are the reason we drink.