Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Tab8715 posted:

Midrange talk aside, I got a quick resume question. I've almost been in IT almost a decade, should I put every IT job I've ever had or just the last three? I can't fit everything on one-page anymore :ohdear:

Pretty sure the 1 page rule only applies when you're just starting out looking for work or have only been in the industry for a few years. I've been explicitly told by recruiters / hiring managers to start using 2-3 pages now after being in the industry for 8 years. At this stage of your career it's probably worth removing the Call Centre / Helpdesk roles if you've had any, otherwise maybe start joining multiple jobs you've had in the one company into the same section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

dox posted:

All of our Tier 1, 2, and 3 levels are "Engineers" at an MSP. It seems titles are worthless in IT.

Haha yeah, my titles have pretty much gone backwards in the past few years, even though I'm getting more specialized. Went from Senior Network Engineer, to Technical Consultant to Systems Engineer (even though I purely deal with routing/switching/wireless/firewalls now). Job titles are weird :shrug:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone have any recent data on Internet Background Noise? The only data I can find is from ~2010 and is largely influenced by Conflicker and I'm curious to see what the traffic volumes are like now and how new vulnerabilities like Heartbleed have affected it.

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/imc/2010/papers/p62.pdf

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
More Anecdotal evidence here:

Did College/Uni for 2 years to get a degree (Network Security specifically, CCNA/CCNP level stuff with some Coding/Databases/Linux units) but quit half way though when I got a NOC job as I was learning heaps more and getting paid for it. I think certs / experience are worth more than degrees for technical stuff, as what you learn in a degree gets outdated pretty quickly by new tech, but you need to refresh your cert(s) every 2 years (although these days it's so easy to braindump it, so I place little value on certs now as well).

I've found it's easiest to tell someone's tech knowledge in an Interview, no matter what certs / experience / degrees they have. Even better if you get a lab setup with a 30-60 minute exercise and see how they perform configuring things from scratch (we had a 3 router 1 switch setup and asked them to configure VLANs, EIGRP, a GRE tunnel and some access-lists, etc.). If you know your poo poo and can get in the door, it should be easy enough to convince them you're the man for the job.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 15, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

Do you have any examples of a cheap esxi compatible computer? Most everything I've seen so far has been a basic i5 CPU with some other stuff going for 800+ (with the RAM upgrades).

Endorsing this for your home ESXi lab, can go with the Celeron CPU version and an 8Gb stick of ram for pretty cheap if you're on a budget:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5379860#!tab=features

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Reiz posted:

Anyone have any experience in automating SSH to talk to Cisco equipment?

I've been using Net::ssh::Perl, Net::Open-SSH, and a little bit of Powershell-SSHSessions but they're all kind of crap. Well, Net::Open-SSH is pretty decent but unfortunately none of the RSA keys on our networking devices are 768 bit so OpenSSH refuses to connect to them. Recompiling OpenSSH or re-generating RSA keys are not available to me at the moment (I'm the junior).

RANCID works for basic commands if you're just doing a simple script. The proper way to do this these days is by using Netconf:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/12_2sx/nm_12_2sx_book/nm_cns_netconf.html

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Reiz posted:

I should have mentioned I'm querying DHCP for an array of ip and mac addresses and then doing a layer 2 traceroute for all of them, approx 800 IP addresses across 6ish subnets, and then probably another 200-300 or so in production. It was requested that I update the switchport documentation because it's all kinds of hosed.

Can't you just pull out the ARP/MAC/DHCP tables from the device using SNMP instead of having a system which logs in and runs commands and an expect script? From there you can put all the results in a database or a file and do whatever you want with it. A quick google around shows that a lot of people have done this in a bunch of languages already or know of an open source application you can probably tweak to your use:

http://netdisco.org/
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/53546

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 24, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

adorai posted:

software defined networking still requires networking knowledge.

This, just because you're "service chaining" a firewall infront of a server as a VM doesn't mean that you can forget everything you know about firewalls. It will be interesting seeing the "VMware guys" and the "Network guys" try to merge though, as most people I run into who are VMWare experts know very little about networking, but most Network engineers at least know how to build a VMWare server and create VM's. Anecdotal, of course.

You just can't create a few VNICs and get the network guy to plug them into a switch in the future. A decent knowledge of MPLS, BGP, NAT, Filter based forwarding, etc. is going to be mandatory to get any SDN setup working.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Anyone who has experience doing contract work please help me out. Does this raise any red flags to you guys? Does this all seem pretty standard? Any advice on what I should expect working in the world of IT contacting vs. being an employee of a normal company? Any general advice? Is this even the right place to ask this?

I'm currently employed by a contracting company who is contracting me out to another company who have sent me as a representative of their company to a 3rd company (pretty much the same as you). All my timesheeting and pay is handled by the parent company though, so I don't need to create any invoices or anything which is good. It was a hassle to get all the access cards I needed and I provided my own laptop as the one they gave me was utter crap.

Aside from that, I really haven't had any issues so far, they made me fill out OSHA forms/surveys for all the places I'm working to cover their asses but it's pretty much a normal job otherwise.

vvvvv

That does remind me, I took my contract purely to pad my resume and there is no travel involved. I was told that my contract would be 3 months, and then another 3 months at less days per week. 3 months the second company had some "budget" issues so I almost didn't get my extension, so be wary that your contract could abrubtly end at any time. I also don't get any sick/personal/annual leave.

vvvvv

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Didn't Cisco lose some enormous networking deal to Amazon because of SDN? And research showed the company would lose billions if they switch over to SDN?

I thought it would be the opposite? AWS/Rackspace/Azure would certainly be cheaper for a small/medium sized business, but as you grow there would be a tipping point where it is way cheaper to rent/build your own datacenter(s), buy the hardware, hire the staff and do it yourself.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

For organizations that don't deploy windows updates to desktops immediately after release, how do you keep the latest security threat out?

If you have a IDP/IPS system facing the Internet and a reasonable network engineer they can simply block the attacks on that (e.g. the Signatures for shellshock came out pretty much straight after they announced it, and you could have written your own worst case). and they will never reach your "vulnerable" server. Obviously doesn't stop attacks internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Probably overkill, but smokeping will do the job