Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

edit: wrong thread

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is a CCNA overkill for entry level jobs, if I dont have much hands on experience?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats reassuring, thank you!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yeah second round sounds like it offset it at least!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

port 3389 is mighty fine, but if you're lookin for me? I'll be on 23 :smug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Applying for IT job at college for $12 an hour. Watch out, packets! :smug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

......this is fake, right?

Its literally just "odds and ends at IT department" and other for "help in computer lab". I figure its at least SOME experience, and will be a nice start for tech experience on resume. Pay is def bad tho.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I got that exact scenario wrong on the Net+. Whatever you do, do NOT blame interferrence on the office windows next door.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

wargames posted:

something that seems to have helped recently is i took a few weeks off and wasn't in a self hating state and redid my resume with everything i remotely interact with. Then just copy pasted that onto linkedin. I now get offers for senior admin roles, and one to lead IT/be sole IT for a newer company. These higher tier job offers also don't completely try and scam me like some of the jr roles i kept applying to. So throw your resume well above your pay grade after you redo it you will get alot more respect from the other side.

Thats awesome news! Glad your luck turned around :)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You guys hear about this new "ipv6" thing? Apparently some lunatic is snatching up the ipv4's. Its a global crisis. Why is nobody in the media talking about this??

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

So a day after my second interview they called and offered me the position today! $80k, benefits on day 1, 6 weeks of parental leave, 3 weeks of PTO, and a Macbook Pro (is this a common machine for cloud work?)

gently caress, this is surreal to me.

God drat, congrats! Thats excellent!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So if Im looking at helpdesk/helldesk/smelldesk, what tools should I familiarize myself with? Active Directory I know Id probably be using alot for tasks, are there other common software suites I should familiarize with? I assume Powershell and Linux CLI stuff is more sysadmin-level stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

As a rural PA dweller Id like to say "Hello" and "Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I hope you are well!"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No fiber optic option here in Southern PA. F-type connectors as far as the eye can see! Even saw a really weird splitter/converter at the local place while getting a haircut.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Unwanted PM's? This calls for an Implicit Deny imo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Happiness Commando posted:

I dont know what your reference point is, but traversing the beltway during rush hour (6A-10A, 2P-7P) is painful and rage inducing, unless you are totally ok with moving 5 feet per minute at the traffic snarl-y parts (most of it)

My only experience has been a few times down that way, but its been exactly this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Generic "IT Job" at college acquired. I figure after a few months it should help resume alot if I use every single thing I accomplish there to flesh it out

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks all! Oh dont worry, this thread and subforum I think gave me alot of insight on actual everyday problems I could potentially one day face and Im hoping to take those solutions to heart. Definitely excited to start next week.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Two hours in at job: I plugged in a printer. Awaiting new work order.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Apparently the IT department was flooded somehow, so has relocated to the dental clinic, bizarrely. Monday is Asset Tagging day, but thankfully someone whipped up some barcodes to allow for quick entry. Also got to wipe a bunch of Force10 switch configs and replace hard drives on little Lenovo monitor/terminal combos. Most of today was spent replacing old laptop SSD's with more reasonably-sized ones. Presumably to keep them usable.

I figure I will start adding stuff about asset management and hardware storage upgrades to the resume now.

Gonna workshop AWS-East jokes too

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 8, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Today I learned Juniper and Force10 switches have different CLI's vs Cisco ones. My knowledge is useless!!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SIP is for saps, imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

looking at fulltime positions for T1 helpdesk. So many want a bachelors degree. Its amazing how out of touch they are :psyduck:

or is it me who is out of touch?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hello, can anyone here let me into the IT department? HR still hasnt updated my staff ID card and I clocked in 30 minutes ago!!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Easy money!

How is your first IT gig going?

Good, but lots of downtime :( Not alot of technical stuff yet, just some basic stuff like printer installation and configuration at best.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Outlooks acting weird for us today. Im unable to receive on my client but if I log in via browser I can receive. Emails I send are from my address but with a .onmicrosoft.com added to the normal end.

Im new to this, but does Outlook use imap4? And if so should we be able to check the server to see if the ghost sent emails are being dispatched properly? I assume the email server would be local at least, probably on site even.

This is all above my pay grade but trying to learn whats going on if the scenario ever comes up again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh ok, hadnt even heard of MAPI. Thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed irt Gentoo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TWO MONTHS AT IT JOB: I dont think anyone likes the IT director. He keeps putting his feet on the table and leaning back in his chair during department briefings!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How long should a resume for a pretty entry-level analyst position be? Im told a single page is good but that feels awfully light.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id say its well beyond slightly lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive received valuable experience week: working with an incompetent fellow employee.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had an interview through a Goon friend at a Cloud security company. Set up for 11:30, a screening interview after scheduling via HR on Monday. I cleaned up the resumé with peers help and was super hyped to have an opportunity to ~triple my current pay in an entry level analyst position. Then time comes around, no call. At 11:45, I call up HR, and the lady apologizes, saying it was very much unlike the interviewer to not call. She then says she'll call me back, and that was half an hour ago. A few friends have said this is very unusual/unprofessional, but as someone just getting my feet wet in the tech industry, is this normal or are they rightfully annoyed at the lack of a call by either party?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Argh, yeah sorry. The scheduling call was Monday for the screening today, Wednesday

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blargh, had interview on that position today and rejected due to lack of AWS cert/hands-on experience. Oh well. Think I will check out the AWS Sysops track and may shoot for that as next goal now that Net+ is done, and HOPEFULLY get hands on experience somehow as well in the process.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We have a program this week for some "Kids in College" thing where we pretty much just reimage the Lenovo laptops for Minecraft and some other basic stuff, and then run Windows updates. There was some software on there that we figured no kid would know how to use, so I proposed we "Make the kids earn their access; image all these laptops with Gentoo!"

And only one of my coworkers thought it was funny. None of the others knew what Gentoo is, it ruled.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had a simple task to walk down to the campus athletic center to collect some unneeded Wireless Access Points. The van for use on campus wasnt running so it was just a matter of rolling a cart down behind me. A student worker asked to come with; hes a weird dude, but Im always happy to have an extra set of hands.

Its 89F out with a nice breeze. Its about a quarter mile walk down to the athletic center, and the student worker is a heavy-set guy. Before we leave, I recommend to him to fill his water bottle and bring it but he says its fine.

Halfway to the other building, he stops and loudly asks "CAN WE GO BACK?", obviously tired. I tell him he can, I dont mind finishing up. He says he will come still.

I am at the doors of the athletic center and hes nowhere to be seen. I assume he turned back but thats ok.

So I find my contact down there and have both wireless points in the cart with their mounting poles. I am heading out the door and student worker comes in and says "Sorry about that, I passed out from the heat."

So I immediately ask him if he was hurt or hit his head, and stress that thats a serious incident. He says no and offers to pull the cart back, I tell him absolutely not and to hydrate over at the vending machine and I will contact the director ASAP.

I hustle down to IT to let the boss know and he calls up to the athletic department to have someone check on him, etc. Ten minutes later, Im back doing stuff and department director comes by and thanks me for watching out for the guy. He tells me he reviewed security footage and that he saw me enter the athletic center etc, and then went to the camera watching the path up, and he saw the other guy. After about the "CAN WE GO BACK?" point, he stopped for a few seconds, then after Id proceeded he walked over to a tree in the shade, sat down, and just messed around on his phone He never passed out, nor was he at risk as claimed. It was amazing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think Im 37 but tbh I might be 38

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turns out I dont have enough experience for the IT Tech position I wanted at campus. I was recommended for a position as a tech at the Learning Center though which my only concern regarding is its not really network-stuff aside from like "Why isnt Zoom working?" and I dont want that skillset to stagnate. Its a 40% paybump though, and I get my own office + benefits which is super tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I didnt get the position with a 40% raise graaagh!!!!

Oh well.