Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

A lot of people's hobbies and activities that filled their entire lives were things that aren't allowed/are cancelled/shut down/etc right now. So while I recognize "just find a hobby" sounds easy on the surface, it can be a lot more difficult than that and this is taking a serious mental toll on a lot of people including yours truly.

I definitely think there's a balance to be had, I had to deal with a breakup and a 300 mile move about a month before it started getting really bad in the US, and for the last couple weeks of me being alone before the move back to family, my life consisted of "go to work, interact on the surface level with my coworkers, go home, drive through fast food, play tarkov, go to bed", and by the end of it I was absolutely losing it. It doesn't help that I'm an introvert that craves human contact (pretty sure i have some as of yet undiagnosed mental condition which doesn't help).

There would be days where from 5:01pm on I didn't physically interact with another human being until I went to bed, and on the rare occasion there were days when I could count the number of words in the afternoon I spoke on less than two hands, and if I removed the words I spoke to my cat from that number, it could very possibly be less than 1 hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

High five, breakup pal. I went through that at the beginning of March as well as the sudden death of a cat before this virus poo poo exploded. It's been a rough time to say the least.

I'm just happy the breakup happened before everything went south, otherwise we would either have been living together while the breakup was happened, or we would have been trying our best and failing at keeping it together and ending up breaking up and still being stuck together.

It sucks but given that we probably weren't gonna be able to make it, having her end things prior to virus going (unknowingly) made it at amicable.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

Bluejeans was so loving bad back then it almost cost my my job. Company meetings would just gently caress up when I did absolutely everything correctly. For example there was a bug where a user would share their screen and it would just share up a black screen that would block other people from sharing and you couldn't ever unshare without taking down the whole meeting. Bluejeans was founded by some Indian dudes so of course their tech support was the most meme level useless script-readers possible.

I switched to Zoom in 2016 and put in Zoom Rooms and I instantly become a superstar. They have personally implemented feature requests for me within a week, multiple times (did you see that new feature about being able to see your own password complexity requirements? I was the first person to suggest that to them a couple weeks back and wrote up the feature request with them) and lastly their tech support is all stateside folks who give me an answer without transferring me, first time every time. Holds are pretty long right now for obvious reasons but it's worth it.

I don't normally stan for SaaS but I'll never forget how miraculous Zoom has been for me, and their philosophy of idiot-proofing the ever-living gently caress out of their stuff. All these Zoombombing things were just people not setting passwords on meetings, which anyone in IT could have forseen (I certainly did and already forced passwords). Anyway, I hope they crush WebEx and BlueJeans into dust because they deserve it.

Edit: also just to brag, I locked us into a hell of a deal with Zoom back in 2016. $6.20 per user for 500 users, can't raise the price and have to honor it whenever I add more. Let's say I learned a thing or two listening to the high pressure sales nerds surrounding me.

Holy crap dude.

their sales team must hate you for getting that deal locked in.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Before I left my old job, we were trialing some of the Kensington thunderbolt docks and they were pretty good.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Advanced Network Devices kit hooked up to Informacast is not that bad.

Looks like their speakers are around 400 each on CDW, but use PoE.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Gabriel S. posted:

Healthcare and Lawyers I get but why schools?

kid: repeatedly smashes Chromebook to the point of breaking it and discipline isn't doing anything to make him stop

"It's educational equipment so keep giving him Chromebooks"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm in post interview limbo with a school district and it's the worst.

"We'll reach out to you by Monday". The Monday they were referring to was last Monday.

Not stressing about it now though, busy studying for Sec+ to get it on my next batch of applications.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

In non boat money related topics:

How normal is imposter syndrome at new job. I just got the offer for k-12 school district IT Systems Administrator with my last gig being k-12 district but only IT Services Tech I (so like 1.5 steps lower than sysadmin). I feel confident enough that I can do it because they think I can do it but man it still feels a little like "am i supposed to know all this"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DelphiAegis posted:

Given the history in this thread, I hope that job offer isn't for a school district in Georgia. Or was it Mississippi? :ohdear: I know it was the south.

California so it's okay (annoyingly they're in a county that was permitted to open), but overall they're taking it relatively seriously it seems like

More than anything the even more terrifying part is the fact that I'm now considered management I was not expecting to have management tied to my title anytime soon

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

I have seen "senior" level IT people who don't know crap besides how to cram for certs and sell themselves and they clear north of six figgies. So if someone is gonna have a job and not be good at it, it might as well be a goon in this very thread!

now thats the spirit.

Sadly they're not offering 6 figgies (mid 60s) which overall I don't mind too much, there was another district offering 77k for a relatively similar specced position, but they've also had the position open since April and they haven't done anything with it

I figure it'll let me get my feet under me as far as infosec/actually being sysadmin then pivot up to big figgie positions either in private sector or public sector

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Security rules but please actually be interested in it, and don't just go into it for the money.

My cybersecurity instructor at a state college was also in charge of multiple overall area commands of a branch of the armed forces when it came to information security so I am very interested in it.

(the figgies are just a bonus)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

It definitely sounds more prestigious than it is, that is for drat sure. Our armed forces security is... not good.

I mean I definitely wouldn't tell him that in person because he can kick my rear end six days from Sunday :ssh:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Seconded, I'm not saying all ex-mil cybersec guys are bad at cybersec, but it sure seems like it from my relatively small sample size. It really does seem all the military has in cybersec is dudes who can read STIGs and tell people who know what they're doing to do them, without knowing what, why, and how of the STIGs implementation. If you had a STIG that said "All network cabinet fluid coolant must remain topped off" you'd have some idiot with a sec+ and five years in arguing with me about how we need to get coolant for our small rear end local compute.

The sat-comms/networking guys tend to know their poo poo though.

I'm trying to be reasonably vague about him to avoid doxxing either him or myself, but I'm pretty sure he's the real McCoy due to certain things he offhandedly has mentioned as well as his job history on LinkedIn.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Their glassdoor reviews look sketchy. Everyone is super positive.

16 people aren't all going to like a company that much.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That's basically my plan. I'm shooting to get working on either Net+ or Sec+ around the time I'd be starting there. The other "good" option in this region is the veteran job program MSSA (I think it's basically a Azure devops course?), which I've heard worse things about, cloud computing isn't really my thing except as it applies to other domains, and I'd to pay tuition to take.

Worse case scenario I'm back to being a nurse if it turns out to be garbage but I'm tired of working 12 hours shifts and being elbow deep in human poo poo and blood.

Can confirm Sec+ opens a shitton of doors.

Scroll back a page or two, but my job offer can be summarized as "apply on Friday, the day after I get Sec+, get a call the next Monday asking to schedule an interview for Friday, interview Friday, get a call on Tuesday with job offer"

I have also found out by comparing to the salary schedule that I am definitely considered classified management, and I only work 225 days a year (which seems like less than I was previously working as a IT Systems Tech I).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Should I ask for a different laptop from work (currently got some Dell stuff) since my new boss said "if you want a different laptop let me know"?

I'm leaning Thinkpad, but I'm not sure if I should go with T480s or X1 Carbon.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

cheque_some posted:

Both are good, the X1 is lighter, but at the expense of some useful ports. The T480s is already pretty light, though.

That's kinda my big concern with the X1 losing a native Ethernet port. I've heard the keyboard on the T480s is not great though.

eta: the T480s is also cheaper which i figure is an easier sell

etata: well looks like cdw only has a T480s with spinning rust at the moment, I can't abide by that

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 22, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Darchangel posted:

The T480s is now two generations old. New model is the T14. And the X1 8th gen just came out as well. We just finished testing to make sure they played well with our imaging system, etc.

CDW is still selling 2-year-old machines?
Also, the T490s and presumably the new T14 don't have ethernet ports, either, though both them and the X1 come with a dedicated (i.e.: not USB-C) adapter.
FWIW, the Dell 7400 and new 7410 also don't have Ethernet ports, and Dell *doesn't* include an adapter.

Looks like the SKUs CDW sells of the X1 gen 8 don't have the ethernet adapter included.

Thanks CDW.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zotix posted:

How much do you negotiate when offered a position? I've heard you should always negotiate even if it's just a little bit.

Of course it always depends, my current job and my former job have both been public employment.

In other words: "here's exactly how much you'll make don't bother trying to counter"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Biowarfare posted:

I was under the impression that with some luxury car brands this is actually the case, and being out of LTE service area or extremely underground renders your car unstartable or unbootable

I'm sorry, this isn't in our budget this year. We'll just directly make AJAX calls to execute-api.aws.dev and ignore users that ask wtf that is showing up at the bottom bar of their browser

Kinda true. In some cases, the kill-switch is looking for a constant signal, and LoS results in the car locking itself down to prevent faraday cage style attacks or being shoved in a shipping container and shipped overseas and sold under the table.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

skipdogg posted:

Nope gently caress all that. Find a new job. Plenty of them out there. No one is even going to hold a 6 month job on your resume against you. If anyone asks, just say "It wasn't a good fit", and leave it at that.

I find the skilled experienced IT market to be pretty hot right now. I barely have a linkedin page (job titles and dates thats it) and get 2 or 3 contacts a week for AD/Windows stuff. If you have any sort of hot tech on your linkedin you should be beating recruiters away with a stick.

There is no point in sticking around, you made the right choice.

edit:

I checked you're post history, you're a devops dude in Denver, you could probably have a new job by next Tuesday if you wanted one.

Apparently my LinkedIn sucks because I'm not beating recruiters away with a stick? How do I sign up for this situation please

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm not 100% sure if my LinkedIn is just not good, or I'm not entirely desirable enough (in terms of work history etc) to be getting recruiter cold calls out the butt like some of you here.

I've had exactly 1 since getting resignation/fired back in February, and it was for a company with absolutely atrocious Glassdoor reviews ("expect 80 hour workweeks for salary exempt employees"), and a resume that mentioned zero technical things and was basically all managing/paper-pushing type stuff.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

All I know is that if I get this job I’m hoping I’m a very qualified candidate for, even though it’s a step down in pay from my last job and roughly equivalent to my job before that, and a worse title than either of them, it’s a company that I’m really passionate about and seems to support their employees so fingers crossed.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

jaegerx posted:

You’re so cute

yes but also a 4.8 on glassdoor

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

LochNessMonster posted:

I hope it’s not the same company I worked for, where the HR Director ordered multiple people to leave a 5 * review whenever a negative one popped up (which was frequently).

Their rating is awesome too. their culture not so much

edit: also, don’t take a pay cut. It’s going to hirt your direct compensation and likely also all your future compensation. It is a really bad idea(tm) unless you’re already making mid six figgies and take a 5k cut. And even then you should just get them to match.

Remember: “Every great role/company is only 1 bad manager away from getting you fired”. Now think about the ratio great:awful managers you’ve come across during your life.

I’m more than half a decade away from even touching thirty so I’m not too stressed about the figgies right now anyway.

and in any case, this position isn’t even IT, it’s CS, but is the springboard to other teams at this company like dev or security

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

LionYeti posted:

Trying to figure out why my new Apple business thing isn't letting me ya know do business with Apple

Apple Business/School Manager is a sick joke inflicted on all of us

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Isn't the general rule for doubling up: expect that one will never be on your resume and can't be used for references or anything, and be prepared for the situation where you have to leave both off because they're both real mad at you?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xarph posted:

They've been trying to kill off local vaults and wifi syncing via neglect for years. Taking 100MM on the grounds that you're worth 2B from the VC company that brought you Crashplan's enterprise refocus is a whole new level of welp.

wifi syncing and local vaults are gone in 1Password 8 (which is the currently available Linux version, and the early access Windows version)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GreenNight posted:

Before interview.

Then yes, you need way more than just 4. I think all of mine (at least the more covid-adjacent ones) have been in a bundle of 30-40 to get a handful of interviews, and only one recently has gotten me a job

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ataxerxes posted:

Where can I buy this?

Go buy at least 25 of them: https://www.aviatorgear.com/p-29301-33-oss-dumpster-fire-ocp-patch.aspx

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

NotNut posted:

What's something I could say I was doing during a gap on my resume? Freelance app development?

"During covid I was very grateful to my spouse/parent/pet pig for them to be able to support us while i was taking care of a parent/kid/pet horse"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Unless it caches admin status locally, combining Macs and domain accounts still sucks for me IMO

issue: "teacher can't add their printer at home to their new Mac due to it not considering them an admin"
resolution: disconnect from school wifi, switch to local admin account, toggle the checkbox on their account to make them an admin for real (instead of it being enforced by checking with the domain), log back out of local admin account, reconnect to school wifi

After a few weeks of that, we said screw it and went with local accounts

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Look it may have been technically a downgrade from my previous job (as well as a pay cut) (but I was also only there for a few months and admittedly wasn’t a good fit) but I too am :toot: starting in September as customer facing support about a SaaS company I’m super passionate about.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

skipdogg posted:

Some of the salary numbers in this thread that get tossed around seem pretty high to me. Higher than average.

edit: the majority of us are well into our mid/late 30's/early 40's and that may be skewing the #'s high since we all are pushing 15 to 20+ years of experience

I am in the San Antonio area though, so COL isn't really that high. Moving 70 miles north to Austin will generally get you 15 to 20K more pretty easily.

A mid level not super specialized IT admin job around here paying 80 to 90K a year is really solid money. Sr level jobs can break 100K but not by much. There are exceptions for gov contracting gigs though, if you can hold an TS/SCI the sky is the limit with all the DoD/NSA/.GOV contract work around here.

I'm very fortunate to have found a job that pays well above average for the area for a really good company, but I hold no delusion that I can find something that pays more with my skill set. Going to hold onto this job as long as possible.

That's the other thing to keep in mind. I sit and look at my 47k doing customer support at a company you've definitely heard of and I go "oh man that sucks"

then I remember that I can't even rent a car without paying a young renters fee for another year

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 24, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

skipdogg posted:

I was making 14 bucks an hour when I was 24 years old doing tier 2 DSL tech support for a SWBell contractor. You're doing great.

It was a little disheartening because this is a downgrade from my last position (sysadmin for a school district), but also I was way overwhelmed by the amount of work for how little support I got when it came to onboarding (here's the keys, knock yourself out) and it wasn't the right position at the right headspace, and new company is a company that I'm super super passionate about and they were passionate about me (took a year, had someone on the inside recommend I apply, multiple different positions to get to this point)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Iron Rose posted:

I see this a lot too, and I hate it for me, personally. I want to go back to the office! Please pay me money to do so!

Obviously very good for a lot of other people but if I’m not allowed my moments of naked self interest on a dead gay comedy forum, posting about IT on my day off from IT that’s communism and it’s illegal

This is why I'm very thankful that for the entire existence of new-company, they've only existed as a remote institution, and basically don't really have an office space (they do, but only one, and not even in the country I live in)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure why you would expect me to have a problem with someone offering me a job while I'm job hunting. I'll anonymize my resume either tonight or tomorrow and send it to you and anyone else who is willing to take a look.

I've been looking at openings on Linkedin for the past hour and a half or so and now I suddenly have 29 jobs to apply to, may of which are offering north of 100k. I'm trying to temper my expectations but goddamn if I had that kind of money I could pay off all my student loans and various debts within a year and a half. I've also got a call with a recruiter tomorrow for a hybrid cloud/Windows admin position which isn't exactly what I'm looking for at this point but I'll entertain the possibility.

I know the thing that I’ve seen mentioned in the BFC resume thread for this kind of thing is don’t over anonymize your resume, it makes reviewing pretty much impossibly apparently (which makes sense, hard to get a sense of where you’re at if it’s just Acme Corp.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not sure I agree. People should do things that make them feel safe, and getting doxxed sucks. I am not going to care what the names of companies you worked at are. If you really think it adds context, just ad the industry and the size.

Right yes I completely agree, but replacing all your company names with Acme is going a bit too far.

luminalflux posted:

Eh dunno how much of a drawback it is, since you'll still need to learn all about the internal stuff that makes up AWS but is never surfaced to the user.

Per someone in a Discord I'm in, lots of memes making fun of bezos and Amazon warehouse working standards, and awful awful tampermonkey scripts because the product owners refuse to improve it, so other teams have to use tampermonkey scripts to do what they need to do

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

wargames posted:

so "top 50" schools and screw all other college people.

without crossing into stuff that doesn't really belong in SH/SC, pretty much.

my state school had a large-ish company you've heard of pipeline, so a lot of software engineering focused classmates ended up either interning or heading straight there. that gets you the connects to pivot to FAANG longer term if that was something you wanted

whether or not it's right, if you've got 0 experience and 0 connections, you're going to be judged on who printed out your diploma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm kinda eager for this IT focused resume session and seeing all of the resumes in The One True Format™ from the old goon resume service. Of all the resumes I've helped improve for friends, it's always copying it over to that format and boy what an improve that alone is.

Do you have a sanitized example of this? I've been using this one for a while (with less colors) and I've been pretty happy with it, but it's probably not an efficient use of space