Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
i started reading this thread in elementary school and i still want an IT job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
100% sincere

give me a job

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wonder what people born 1 Jan 1970 think of unix time

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm too young for SA but I've been on the internet to a goonish degree since I was three so it kinda just worked out.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Why is powershells background blue?

It subconsciously causes computers users to feel fear and caution while using it after years of seeing bsods

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i know this one, you use straight through cable to dock computers

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

there's a really good job opening that pays $28 an hour and only really needed an A+ at a nonprofit (pretty much my entire resume is working poo poo jobs at nonprofits)

It's been 3 weeks and nothing back :(

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The first OS I used was windows 95

It came out the same year I was born. I'd say that there's been no great die off of technological know how, but rather that 1) kids learned and cut their teeth on new technology (apps still take space, and the eternal expansion of application sizes has continued apace into the app era) and 2) all of you are nerds. Take a random 35 year old and I doubt they'd be better than a random 15 year old. The difference is that we are nerds, we care about computers, and we care about what goes on under the hood. Being a goon transcends age, and even website.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GreenNight posted:

He’s not bad, yea? I’ve heard good things.

Read Pratchett immediately. I'm escalating this to tier III ASAP

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Internet Explorer posted:

That's a beautiful yard. Happy solstice and cheers to you.

I'd really love to share some pictures, but I feel like some fucker will triangulate off mountain peaks or something and dox me.

Whatever you say, Christopher

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Pretty sure it is illegal for me to be in Texas now

An admirable attempt, but it targets the not-me transes as well

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

So I've got a couple of interviews coming up (nearly doubling my old pay rate) and I was wondering if anyone itt has good questions to ask the interviewers so I don't end up getting a hell job. Any good ways to suss out red flags?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks both!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

I see your cloud resume and raise you https://learntocloud.guide/#/

thank you for this, hopefully i can use this to avoid the eternal helpdesk before even starting on helpdesk

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

that's a serious issue, make sure to overclock your PSU so the login script doesn't override the SaaS

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

hey don't kinkshame

omegaverse-compliant coding standard

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss and manager are currently LOUDLY arguing over "what to do about Tiworker.exe using the most CPU" on our file share server, and citing websites like electronicshub.com and whatsabyte.com

I have the utmost confidence in their ability to gently caress this up royally.

tiworker.exe is part of the Windows Module Installer Service. TrustedInstaller.exe is its parent process and both work together to provide Windows Updates for your PC. Without tiworker.exe Windows Update cannot work properly, and you will no longer reliably get updates for your PC.

it's a process that's used in the windows update process. it'll be high CPU any time it's installing an update. trying to stop it or remove it is a) a really loving bad idea because then windows update breaks b) something anyone who knows windows at all would know not to do

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

getting real annoyed at entry level helpdesk jobs paying minimum wage demanding at least three years IT experience and five trillion certs -_-

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

just got the good news - i am now officially an it professional

can't wait to hate my job

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

have they tried using chrome???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

it's 79 here... seattle is dying

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

any advice for my first day on the it helpdesk? it's a smaller org (<50 people) and it's 100% windows, but I don't know too much beyond that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Boba Pearl posted:

God, 4 years of school and like 8 cert tests were worth being able to draw for quite a few hours a day on the clock, and people expect basically nothing of me because I'm new. This rules.

my goal is to have a job where people don't scream death threats at me because i asked them to turn down their radio at 3am so here's hoping i get a similar set up

ps. thanks for the advice goons

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks posted:

50 people seems like a pretty small organization to have a dedicated help desk. Is it purely internal or are you helping external customers like an MSP?

Anyways of the issue is affecting only a single person the problem has a high chance of being human error. Especially in places where people like to move around/reorganize their desk and unplug poo poo/plug it back in incorrectly. Don’t be afraid to ask questions that make the user feel like an idiot because chances are they are when it comes to technology.

it's a four person team and no, in house. i don't get it either, but from what I understand their systems are a bit weird as they're quote unquote halfway moved to the cloud. it's probably a shitshow but gently caress it, it's a line on a resume and rent.

jaegerx posted:

You are a detective. You need to ask the right questions. Always remember the 3rs of windows troubleshooting

are these different from "reset rollback retry" ?

Docjowles posted:

Buffalo Trace is a pretty solid bourbon that won’t break the bank. You may eventually need to drop down to Evan Williams if your budget can’t keep up with increasing volume.

just kidding, I’m sure you will have a lovely time :v:

not much of a drinker but it's a 10 minute bus ride to the weed shop and I intend to make use of that convenience

---

many thanks to all who replied, i fully intend to trade up via certification as soon as it looks good on my resume to do so

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wait I can do nothing for two years, get that on my resume and get paid? Lol gently caress all the other advice

/jk

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vargatron posted:

Zoom interview today, wish me luck thread. Feeling pretty good about my prep and resume. Hoping this will lead to an in person interview next week.

Good luck! :)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks posted:

The one interview that I felt like I completely bombed was the job I started today. Idgi but not complaining.

Same and same.

First day went well, my brain hurts but in a good way. I even got a company lunch which was nice. Biggest hurdle is that we're supporting (for at least a few months until we get a new system) software from the 95/98 era that's critical for half of the company.

Now for edibles

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know! I'm talking to a therapist, don't worry. Everyone should do that btw

First thing I'm doing when my new benefits kick in (HR owes me like 20 things and I'm still waiting on her) is getting a therapist. Probably going to be a pain since there's a shortage of em everywhere but if I'm going to be working I need to keep my brain from breaking further.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Internet Explorer posted:

that's a cool dog

but did you take that photo with a fax machine?

Sickening posted:

What brand of flip phone you got?

i'm not posting cat pics when i get one in a few months because of youse two

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ok

game boy camera it is. gently caress you old man

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

also it's kind of flattering to be the youngest person in the IT department by at least a decade, i already feel old as i sneak up on my 30s

tomorrow i'm doing inventory, it'll be nice to be doing things other than being taught or reading the KB

e:

KillHour posted:

Anyone who knows what that is is also old.

I had an original game boy in 2006 because it was the only thing my family could afford

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm in the office today (first week stuff) and it's sized for <100 people but pretty much everyone is WFH 100% so it's literally just me and my predecessor/trainer. Feels like I'm in a post apocalyptic movie or something

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

All I want is a remote self sufficient cabin, free money from the government, same day delivery and gigabit fiber is that too much to ask??

Oh, and a weed garden

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

it doesn't have to be legal, it just has to be too hard for you to fight back

best of luck in your interview, hope you GTFO

if you really want to be a shitter without paying $$$ for a lawyer and trust your coworkers try to coordinate quitting antagonistically. be a real shame if the entire it department disappears right before a big project or something

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Day 4 of new job, I finally feel like I knew what I was doing for a majority of the day

I've also earned more in 4 days what I used to earn biweekly so gotta say it rules

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Good luck!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm getting paid to copy and paste information into an excel spreadsheet

Why did I get a cert again? 7 year old me could do this

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

currently looking at a few ways to script away my work but sadly our systems have 20+ years of technical debt. so far my big contribution lies in putting in a shortcut from the software installer folder to the license key folder which has already saved me a solid chunk of time

gotta say, I'm lucky I have the right kind of brain where I can be connected to and using 4 computers at once and enjoy that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1548863166301450242

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

that's silly, they should decide candidates by where they post on the internet