Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Jack Link's is a little more... oily? Big John's is a little more dry. But otherwise Big John's is vastly superior, especially if you've only ever had grocery store stuff. I consider myself a bit of a beef jerky connoisseur and Big John's is my favorite by far.
Goons can also buy their "fatty" jerky which is tender and delicious (and not shelf-stable).

I loved it but lol I discovered my goon-guts can't tolerate garlic :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Hahaha oh my god yes. My experience:

S tier -
Not working for any particular industry and consulting instead

Good -
Banks
Insurance
Government

Maybe okay -
Non-profits
Healthcare
Airlines
Brick and mortar retail

loving terrible -
Marketing
Manufacturing
SaaS companies
Legal
Energy

Edit: verticals also get wonky depending on size. Enterprise are not the same as SMBs. I’ve only worked with small legal and SaaS companies but mega huge energy and retail and banks. I prefer mid size personally, enterprises are too slow and small companies are run by psycho tyrants sometimes
I've generally liked my SaaS companies (and love my current one), but they can get ruined by new management. Like my last one went down the toilet when they replaced the great CTO with one that got handsy with the women at work parties. You'd think they'd be bitter at paying out years of salaries in settlements/hush money, but the owners stood behind the fucker.

I think non-profits are brutal for low budgets, trying to squeeze blood from a stone, trying to make do with 10+ year old hardware. Healthcare breaks the IT adage, "we're not saving lives here" ... it can be extremely stressful and at least in Canada you can be stuck with low budgets. Also a lot of medical devices are just poo poo that still require Win95 to operate. Government can also be rough ... worked in an office stuck on Internet Explorer 6 eight years past its EOL because that's all their software would run in. Imagine trying to maintain that poo poo.

Friends have gone into banks and insurance when they got sick of SaaS. They say they're boring as hell, but low workloads, stable, decent benefits, etc. Probably a more responsible decision than me, but my ADD-addled mind just can't handle that work.

Legal sounds like hell and similar to working for "boutique" investment firms.

I walked into a SaaS company that looked like the perfect job for me. I have an actual great competent team that reports to me, and my predecessor ended up resigning because he moved waaaaaaaay too far out of the city during COVID and was struggling never being on site anymore. He left it in great shape though; my first time starting somewhere and having not everything be on fire. Thorough documentation even!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GreenNight posted:

At my job one of our programmers wasn't getting his work done so my boss asked me to take him out of all mailing lists and disable his email so he has no distractions other than working on his projects.

A programmer using email for anything other than notifications? Lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Good documentation takes way longer than people expect. Especially if you're adding diagrams. I hate the people who complain constantly about nothing being documented, but surprise surprise, have never written a single page of it themselves... and then when there is documentation they're the same people who don't even bother to search for it and just ask people instead
Amen.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have to deal with two guys that were hired as "senior" IT admins, just before I started myself, sigh. One is an easy dismissal on probation... literally always late, takes two hour lunches, disappears for hours at a time, leaves early ... everyone assumes he has a second job lol. Hates communicating with the team. When I called him out on it he said, he doesn't "like to be babysat". Dude, babysitting is having to ask where the gently caress you are all the time. It's annoying because he's clearly really smart and experienced. His skills are really what this team needed; compliments mine really well.

Other guy is a decent enough worker, has like 15 years experience but ... it's literally on AS/400s. We're a SaaS company. Shows no leadership. The junior guys are frustrated because they're each like 10x as effective as him. It's weird paying someone a senior salary to cart equipment around and do inventory.

At least when I get rid of the first one I hope I can promote the juniors. Other dude deserves a chance. Maybe he's just slow to onboard.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

This sounds like your company messed up, assuming that the guy didn't misrepresent his experience. Perhaps they had very few applicants and that guy was the best on offer at the time, in which case if they are better than an empty position they stay.
That sounds like it was the case. And they had trouble hiring a new manager until they found me, so it was probably like "we just need SOME one".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Follow up on mr. absentee that I had to fire:

HR had me schedule a meeting with him the night before which I thought was kind of goofy ... and sure enough the next morning he declared he was working from home and didn't come in :rolleyes: Also FWIW Wednesday happens to be the one day the entire team is expected to be in. On Monday he showed up late, still vanished on personal calls, took a two hour lunch, vanished some more, then left early "to beat traffic".

Went ahead with it anyway of course, enough is enough. He seemed shocked and demanded to know why, but HR cut me off.

When dealing with recovering his laptop, one of my staff noticed his business website on his personal email signature ... we clearly were his side-hustle.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 25, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sickening posted:

I love expensive cloud tools. The expensive poo poo is so neat and makes my life easier. All of their built in reporting loving sucks. Prisma, I am looking at a you, your options for reporting loving blow in ways I can't quite fathom.

gently caress.
My old gig wouldn't spring for BetterCloud. My new place had it already quite thoroughly implemented and it's been a bit of a lifesaver and force-multiplier. It's not 100% perfect but so far seems to have been very good about reporting anything that didn't work as expected.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

systems administrator: knows how to use google
The other "senior system administrator" that was hired before I started apparently doesn't even know this.

I had to ask him to stop pestering the juniors today. And then I finally looked up his salary and he's earning $30K more than them. And he's constantly asking me about the promotion/raise process. :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was going crazy trying to find out why my company Google Workspace email signature keeps getting overwritten to defaults (wiping out my title making it look really dumb the way it's laid out). No one else in the org seems to have this problem, and my staff are just :shrug:

I started a month ago and they're pretty junior. My predecessor kept them in the dark about anything remotely "advanced".

I assumed it had to be an app, or BetterCloud misbehaving, but there are very few domain apps installed, and they were easy to vet. BetterCloud swears up and down (via its logs) it only ever touched my account a month ago to add it to the "defaultsignature" GSuite group... but that is a huge clue.

But then what? Searching, the only relevant article I could find was this: https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/alias_and_signature_settings#java

Oh boy, this is a bit above my skillset. Anyway, I think I hit paydirt when I was reasoning this has to be running somewhere, and then found some "projects" running in GCP, both under a service account and under my predecessor's, which was just about to be purged.

I guess it's time to learn the Gmail API and get better acquainted with GCP, sigh.

It's just funny to me that this knowledge/setup could have been wiped away in an eyeblink, and I'd have looked like a fool when the company's signatures were no longer automated. So I guess I'm lucky as gently caress it was erroring on mine. I feel like my entire IT career has been lucky, stumbling across things that are on the cusp of failing; making me look a lot brighter than I am.

edit: lollllllllllll okay, there is an "app.bettercloud.com" and a "g.bettercloud.com" which I was unaware of, and it appears to me that that is the source of my troubles. loving logs.

So uh, I'm still dumb.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 1, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

90% laying someone off who should never have been hired, this afternoon :(

But my company is willing to give him two weeks severance while he's still on probation? Nice guy, but paid a shitload when he has no experience relevant for twenty years, and only wants to do the most basic IT work, less than the juniors. He also wants stable employment; he'd be far better suited for a bank or government than SaaS. Even if this one is more stable than any other I've worked at.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't know where you live, but gently caress you you god damned gently caress, Ford

https://twitter.com/cp24/status/1569771028045524993?s=46&t=BicZL_gafEPIoU1HUiPg1w

LochNessMonster posted:

Accurate description of 90% of the people who work at a bank for more than 10 years.
Ughhhhhhhhh he didn't take the offer. I'm not going to let him down or drop him, but not looking forward to babysitting him on an "improvement plan" just delaying the inevitable.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/16/23356213/uber-hack-teen-slack-google-cloud-credentials-powershell lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Fool posted:

the best grill related thing I've ever done was get one with a side burner so I can fry fish without stinking up the house
Never ever used my side burner. Fish goes on cedar planks on the grill.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So was anyone else using Spoke as their ticket system?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I disagree. I've been in tech for 20 years. I have never felt like a lack of a degree has hindered me.

By all means, get a degree if you can. It will be good for you. But there's no "suddenly degrees no longer matter" going on here. It's not exactly a new discussion topic in our field, and I have personally been saying the same thing since this thread has existed.
If someone is 99% there, for gently caress's sake that person should finish it.

I doubt I'd ever go back there, but I did have to have the piece of paper to get a lovely government job (Government of Canada).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm still dealing with team turmoil, but by sheer coincidence the very best team member at my last job applied here. Everyone loves him so far.

The last guy I let go had awful written communication skills and was awful at ... well everything. But I couldn't believe he couldn't google solutions to random helpdesk queries.

So to combat this I thought I was being really clever and came up with a few questions (essentially real life examples) where with the interviewee we'd roleplay them solving a ticket via Zoom chat (our usual ticket system operates out of Slack). I wanted to see their customer service & written skills, but also being able to Google solutions.

Holy poo poo the most basic one most people fail so thoroughly. ("I need to extract an animated GIF from a Google Doc"). The best answer came from someone in a customer service background, she was clever and immediately assumed there had to be a trick to something that sounds so painfully obvious. And she managed to google a solution that involved transferring the doc to Google Keep which would finally let you save the image. Another answer is to either save the whole Google Doc page as HTML, or download the doc as HTML ... either one would give you the GIF in its original form. I would have also accepted just googling and downloading the GIF from elsewhere lol. Or asking for advice from your team, for a nudge at least.

But it's been tortuous watching most people not be able to manage but I feel like it's been a really effective filter.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Do you manage support? I cannot imagine anyone caring about documents outside of support and google docs specifically is real odd. As soon as I was able, I got a job that never had to gently caress around with zipping a docx and all that bullshit. Took about 2 years.
I manage "IT Service Delivery" ... it's basically everything that helps employees work gooder. Unlike other places where I've been the one effing IT guy for up to 350 people, there are actually other complimentary staffed departments here, like Security. Also we have Facilities and Employee Experience people ... this is all poo poo that used to fall on me at past jobs.

Anyway, the point is to have people in the department that can actually answer these questions. It's not really my problem until either they're out of bandwidth, or the issue is extremely esoteric. Like running Java software that hasn't been updated since 2005 to electronically submit records of employment to the federal government :rolleyes:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

We ended up writing up a small PowerShell script that does a couple basic example tasks, and asking the interviewee walk is through what it does. Since my team is primarily Windows/Active Directory, it's a great way to at least guage where they are in terms of skillsets.
I'm mainly interviewing a junior role so I'm not asking for much here. Also not being a douche insisting on N years of experience for essentially entry-level. (Though we pay IT people pretty well.) But I do try to tailor the interview to what they're claiming they can do. So someone puts "Python" on their skillset, and I had to ask them about it because they had almost nothing else remotely relevant and the answer was, "uh, I have surface level knowledge."

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 19, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jaegerx posted:

Im not gonna lie, I'm gonna have to google how to save a gif from a doc unless you can't just right click it
Yeah exactly, that's why I chose that question. I WANT people to show they can actually research a solution. It's truly not difficult to google and there are probably even more ways to get it done I haven't seen or thought of. But somehow people blow it over and over. (But two candidates had no trouble.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Dreamer posted:

We went through three of those fuckers before we finally got a guy that could actually troubleshoot worth a drat. Problem was the rest of his team sucked so bad that he got burned out in the first couple of months.
On my side we've gone through two of these fuckers... but they were the "senior admins", making the competent service desk people wonder WHAT THE gently caress.

I've promised them promotions.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

New job's CEO likes Google Workspaces and everyone desperately wants him to approve to have us switch to O365 but he wont!
Why is O365 so much better?

----

I was kinda down on Workspace, after initially being a fan like ten years ago, but they finally seem to have been making some pretty huge strides in improving the product.

Finally their "Groups" paradigm is less poo poo, like you're not creating a loving Usenet group by default when you just need a distribution list. I need to learn more but apparently they're shifting permissions to groups too, over the OU model.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry, I forget I'm in the SaaS world and a 99% Mac shop lol.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Our stack fwiw is Mac, Okta, GWorkspace, Mosyle, Slack, Zoom. 400+ users. Everyone here seems happy with it, to the point where people would get pissed and leave if our newish corporate overlords, a pure Microsoft shop, ever try to force us to adopt their systems.

Maybe one thing that would make GWorkspace less poo poo for people is that most of our use of it is automated through BetterCloud. I didn't mind plain Workspace though at previous gigs.

I don't have anything against O365, but I truly don't think it's overall superior to Workspace.

Thanks Ants posted:

Does Google Workspace have the totally alien concept of "a shared mailbox" yet?
I agree it's not the same, but their paradigm has been to use Groups for that and it's always existed.

It's also always been extremely lovely both to admin and use as a user until pretty recently. But would it kill them to integrate it into Gmail? (Apparently?)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jaegerx posted:

I can deal with a SSO, I can handle a MDM on my laptop. What I can't handle is you telling me I can't install opensource software on my laptop that I need to do my job, or telling us we have to buy a commercial option cause it meets the needs of the CISO.
Our corporate overlord appears to be itching to try this on us. Got a weird memo from a side-channel asking for the number of endpoints we have ... because they need to know how much work is involved in blocking local admin for everyone :rolleyes:

It feels like some chud is just trying to feel important. Part of the sale agreement was that we're operated independently.

They abruptly postponed the meeting I asked for for them to explain themselves, so I still have no details.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol. It's a very strange relationship.

The overlord isn't a tech company. We just have a complimentary product adjacent to their business.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

Gender changearoo or babies b gone cut?

Even IT wouldn't be back at work immediately after a gender changearoo.

Wait, who am I kidding.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sickening posted:

:aloom: this will never stop being funny to me. This doesn’t mean what you think it means.

In case you still have some illusions, the company that acquired you has all the power (in the United States). There are always a few people like you who operate under the misconception that you have any authority left. It rarely goes well. If you care to keep your job at all I would advise to stop working under those illusions.
I'm speaking in generalizations. It's not really my problem. The C-levels do push back and have so far been successful. The people involved seem to have good relationships.

I'm under no illusions and understand it could change at the drop of a hat. I report directly to C for what it's worth.

It's not unique to this situation. Virtually all my jobs were good/great until executive upheaval.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

do everything by hand using a USB stick. As in plugging it in and running installer.exe like it's the 80s
Oh sweet summer child

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://nypost.com/2022/10/20/floppy-disks-get-second-life-out-of-california-warehouse/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm the weirdo that infinitely prefers going to the office. I get a nice bike ride out of it. My gym is near it. Can grab groceries or shop on the way home. Etc. Also works for delineating work and personal life for me.

I love having the option, but I'm a terrible failure of a human being with full-time WFH.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Feels like the fact that they can't handle such basic bullshit is a red flag to begin with...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jaegerx posted:

I remember 1 place trying to recruit me by saying, we're hired over 100 engineers this year. Like uh why?
My last gig was like this. For a 350 person company it was like 275 engineers, and they never shipped anything :rolleyes:

Current job has a similar headcount except it ... actually has staffed and defined departments (and a successful mature product). I can't get over people having actual specific jobs and not just random admin staff doing five different things each.

My first week at my new job I was like, "wait, there's a whole separate Security department ... and it has FIVE STAFF!?" We actually have a guy whose entire job is actually facilities!

At my last place I was the only IT person for far too many people for far too long (I eventually got to hire three more), networking, security, facilities including an entire office move almost completely by myself, half of "employee experience" with someone else whose job it shouldn't have been, and so much regular office admin because they kept trying to make HR hires do it and they always got fed up and quit.

One of my previous hires coincidentally starting at my new place tomorrow. I didn't bring him over, but put his name at the top of the list when I saw the applicants. He was awesome and I'm really glad he's coming over.

Why didn't I quit sooner? I just couldn't find the right job/pay anywhere within a reasonable commute. If I wanted to spend ~3 hours driving every day I could have managed it. Eventually I did find a decent place with great (for Toronto IT) comp that's a 15 minute bike ride from home.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bonzo posted:

Looking for laptop backpack suggestions. What does everyone like?
+1 for Timbuk2. The bags of theirs I've had have been very well designed and they have lots of options to suit exactly what you need.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No jerks seems obvious.

But lol just before I started, this company apparently found the one senior admin that couldn't be taught anything. Six figures and he wanted to coast with just ASA/400 experience at a SaaS company. (Why the gently caress he was hired is anyone's guess.)

edit: to be clear, my predecessor clearly assumed his experience would be transferable but ... nope.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My company is trying to set up electronic submission of records of employment to the Canadian government.

It involves ULTRA SECURE FILE TRANSFER software written in Java, last updated ~2005. It's taken them two months to set up an account. We had to have an exec sign documents, and I'm the official keeper of the keys. I had to sign more paperwork, have a Zoom call showing two pieces of ID. Finally today I had a SUPER SECRET private call ten minutes before the official kickoff meeting, where they verbally gave me a 12-character password in the phonetic alphabet.

Then during the meeting they tell us that the software can't be transferred to any other computer without having the credentials all regenerated by them and we should just install it to a shared laptop. :rolleyes:

------

Sidenote they claim it absolutely will not run on a Mac but ... it's just Java and seems to run fine? :iiam:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bonzo posted:

One job took us and our spouses to some restaurant where they were putting on a Christmas murderer mystery. I wish I was joking. The waitstaff were also the actors for some reason. My wife still tells everyone about how bad it was.
My first job took all the company to ... Mediaeval Times for Christmas. Including people flown in from offices around the world. It was incredibly cringe to most, but especially the people not from NA.

Years later I took half a dozen pre-teen nieces and nephews and it was a riot.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

It is quite funny to fly people in to sit in a plywood castle when they probably live within 20 miles of a real castle
This was exactly it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Teleport is hot too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lolll... my staff get so bent out of shape about stickers. I don't know why they have so much trouble removing them. I do it while I'm bored on a call.

And that said, some do leave behind permanent stains which mean we can lose hundreds of dollars from our 40% buyback programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

I put stickers on a plastic cover instead of directly on a laptop.
Been considering trying to just make this a thing with our laptops. Seems the added cost would save us what we lose on our buybacks due to damage. And then no need to whine about stickers.