Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

chin up everything sucks posted:

government cybersecurity
oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

One gigabit socket! That's rarefied air around here. There's a building I service with Cat3 wiring in the walls and the network speed is capped to 10mbps. The building is so old that asbestos abatement would cost more than just demolishing the building and rebuilding it.
Just abandon those floors and build another identical building on top of it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

If only they built the proposed floating bridge from Shoreham to New Haven! Or the Oyster Bay-Rye bridge!

(both of them would have been expensive boondoggles, probably)
I can't even imagine the kind of wishful thinking that goes into believing the mob-affiliated old money in Mill Neck/Centre Island/Lloyd Harbor would stand for a bridge going through their waterfront property views

Still more practical than Cuomo's "let's just build the world's longest road tunnel" plan, somehow

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

Finally have been getting hits on my resume, had two interviews last week for some decent jobs and now this week I've got contacted about setting up interviews. Is the market shaping up finally again?

Anyways, one is for a start up which has me kind of nervous and it's for a junior devops role which is sort of the direction I want to go for, but the place has barely 20 people working for it and I certainly don't want to be the only devops person working for a startup, but I'm assuming if they're looking for a junior they've got a regular or senior one already.
General rule: at a 20 person startup, you're just barely past the point where everyone does every job. I'd be surprised if they have anyone full-time dedicated to release engineering work, it's probably one of the hats worn by employee #2 or so

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

where can I get a New York slice around here
anything fancier than Penn Station (the old one) is pretentious

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Cut up a cardboard box and pour some canned marinara sauce on it.
go eat a giardiniera soufflé you Chuck E. Cheese animatronic bag of poo poo

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sardonik posted:

It's kind of hilarious that they created an entire tool to assist in troubleshooting its own permissions errors.
Most lukewarm possible take: all systems should have observability, actually

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This gets thrown over the fence every once and a while, and I just tell them "Sure we can do that, and it will create a good 10-20% overhead of admin waste. It'll also foster an environment where department head X doesn't ask for Y even though they really should, because it hits his department budget and looks bad. So even if he does ask, we will start quibbling over how many hours it took for Joe Developer to do his stuff."

Just do a steering committee, let the business throw everything they want on the board, and force a decision maker to actually prioritize things. It's not hard.

The only place I like to see direct resource billing done is on capex projects, so you can bill internal resource time against that project so it's properly accounted for. ie internal resources aren't taken for granted when doing new projects. Makes it clearer that there is a cost to actually implement <dumb thing no one needs> beyond the cost to just buy it.
If the company culture is aligned around the purpose of the incentive, chargebacks are a really good way of handling the situation where you're trying to do a platform migration to kill an expensive contract or license, and some BU insists on the old platform living longer than it has to

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of database performance a pitfall I've run into a few times is that your database engine will cache tables in memory and as long as your tables are small enough to stay cached you won't notice how inefficient your queries are because it's still lightning fast as long as they're in RAM. So you load up a few gigs of test data and run your tests and everything passes with flying colors, so you sign off and put it in production.

Fast forward x months/years and your production data has grown to the point where it no longer fits entirely in RAM cache and your performance drops off a cliff and now all your users are mad about it.
Non-database systems, too! A few years ago, the team I was on had a big GitLab outage because we had a big monorepo that was sitting completely in the OS's filesystem cache. We hit some really small performance oops that caused backend git-receive-pack processes to sit around and take up slightly more memory than usual. Slowly, they started to push the monorepo contents out, and the slowdowns caused those processes to finish slightly slower, which caused slightly more of them to run concurrently. That caused slightly more memory usage, which caused slightly less memory to be available for filesystem cache. That caused slightly more of the monorepo to be read off of disk, which caused the git-receive-pack processes to run slightly slower, which caused slightly more of them to run concurrently,. The growth started too slowly to be noticeable unless you were watching the dashboard, then within a few hours we hit an exponential-growth explosion on disk I/O and memory usage and it took down all the redundant nodes of the system simultaneously

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There are people who genuinely struggle to remember things, but in my experience there's a much higher number who simply don't feel they owe you the courtesy of paying any attention to what you are telling them, so the information never got to a point where it could be forgotten
As I enter the later part of my career, I'm finding this is caused by the "ruinous empathy" quadrant of the Radical Candor grid a lot more frequently than I expected, keeping all your background threads spinning on the problems of other people around you until the point that you are no longer able to effectively process any new information at all

I work with some directors and VPs who are really dead set on the whole "don't give me extraneous information, give me what I need to help you with your situation and then get to the point" style of communication. And a lot of it isn't because they aren't interested or don't care. It's that their compartmentalization or coping mechanisms don't work, their background threads are going to go nuts chewing on miserable and irrelevant but highly engaging details of other people's problems and keep them from actually being in other moments, listening to things that matter

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I wonder how many hours and how much money is spent to make these utterly loving useless "diagrams". Agile scales fine without introducing whatever horror show this is. Just hook your teams together and line up their cadences if you're making something big...
Since these concepts really don't relate to each other, this is literally just a list of words, and I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat dying on the hill that lists of words are often useful

The subway map arrangement is just to make it look complicated. Making anything look highly complicated and scary is sometimes exactly what you want to do when you're trying to get budget for people who know what they're doing. And surprise, this is exactly the image consultancies need middle managers in tech orgs to sell upwards

e: I was gonna let the "just ... line up their cadences" thing go, but nope, now I'm caffeinated. This works if you have a pile of people working on stuff that really doesn't need to be lined up. If you have orthogonal projects using off-the-shelf dependencies, sure, go nuts. Once you get internal platform teams and shared capabilities involved it's a whole different ball game, because now everyone is calculating their own risks depending on their own private, internal confidence in upstream roadmaps. This isn't a "just" situation and even (especially?) if you're trying to avoid heavyweight waterfall planning, in any company where engineering initiatives have any real money on the line, there's at least half a dozen to a dozen people working in the background to align cadences, and if someone doesn't see it, that's because they've cut that person out of the conversation, not because that person is superhuman at bolting teams together

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 22, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

it falls short in IT because it ironically doesn't handle unplanned work well
Ehhhhh? In my experience, this aspect of agile is mismatched to IT because agile assumes you have a relatively consistent ability to add similar features of any particular complexity. (If you don't know whether this is true, think about whether you find estimates useful, or whether you think they're a tool for management to squeeze work out of you. That's where you are on the line.)

That all holds true when you write and deploy the code that's responsible for your core business processes. But where this falls apart is integration of off-the-shelf software and platforms, where you need to change the behavior of a system without actually being able to change the software, which causes things that look similar on the surface to have wildly divergent implementations with incredible variations in complexity.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Everyone knows only the best decisions get made in WAR.
All good decisions are made by unmaintained Spring and ColdFusion webapps running on Internet-facing desktops in public sector offices

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 26, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If they don't sell it, I assume they'll strip it to the bone then fold it into Broadcom's amazing security product everyone likes, Symantec.
No one ever got fired for buying [product only CISOs buy]

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

couldcareless posted:

Folks, need some career advice. Been doing your standard IT for 20 years now with network admin under my belt for the last 10 of that. Current job is fine but for reasons I'd rather not get into I'm jumping ship within the next 2 years.
Unfortunately I'm in the gulf south and job options are slim and moving is not an option. Instead, I think my best route is to broaden my skills as I feel like I'm at the ceiling here and learning opportunities are disappearing.

Current job is not quite a MSP but it's not far off from one, 100+ site WAN. Currently I do most of the network install and management (cisco/meraki, HP enterprise, ubiquiti), voip (3CX), minimal firewall work (checkpoint), some VMware, and less and less now dealing with end user support or local server/desktop stuff.

So my questions are, what would my current skillset translate best to at this point? I know that's a fairly broad question, but I'm assuming cloud compute is probably the easiest direction for me to go in, leaning towards cloud network engineer.
Also, what are some learning resources that are recommended to get me started on this path?
My answer to this question from 10 years ago still holds up. As things continue their drudge march towards SaaS or "the cloud", the competitive advantage is in making these things play nice together. Understanding the tools and technologies underneath, and having just enough programming skill to glue things together in a way that solves problems for people, is really the nuts and bolts of modern tech work. Recently, all the growth has been in Identity and Access Management, because every company, in parallel, has realized they've underinvested here by a lot over the last decade. But sure, some of it is in cloud infrastructure too.

The current ecosystem is developers having way more autonomy than they've ever had, being responsible for all kinds of poo poo, every subject matter expert around them is telling them that everything they don't know is critically important, and they don't know who to even believe, much less how to get good at the real top priorities. If you can make a dent in that problem in a big company, you're writing your own paycheck, even in this economy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

CEO is having ghost keyboard inputs when she signs in. I read thru the logs and noticed "USB app control" having errors around that time. After a quick googlin' turns out it's related to Brother's bloatware. I tell the CEO I'd like to remove the software for the Brother printer after looking at the logs, and that I'll run a few other checks (sfc and antivirus) to be on the safe side.

Ladies, enbies, and gentlemen, my boss:

"The Brother is probably the software for her printer"

Thanks boss!
I can't imagine these words happening in normal speech. I keep imagining them being something someone says as they're vomiting

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

If you actually Know How Networking Works you've got a solid gold skill set. I can count on one hand the number of junior and senior systems engineers and admin (including network admin) who can actually like plan the subnets of an enterprise network. Once you get into Azure stuff that gets way more important, as a bunch of little pieces of the network become their own objects and can totally gently caress up your deployment if you take defaults. My advice is to start doing the azure certs and working your network knowledge into understanding how it translates, you'll be infinitely employable.

For an example, my company acquired another who had reasonably robust IT infra. Like good backups, security was mostly on point, good monitoring. Their Azure tenant was a nightmare. Whoever was doing the setup had bare minimum azure knowledge and absolutely zero practical networking knowledge. When you make a new network in azure using the wizard it defaults to 10.0.0.0/8, which is fine if you're a tiny company doing a one off or a student experimenting. It causes some conflict issues when you're trying to integrate it as part of an enterprise network. Whoever setup this tenant took the defaults on everything because they didn't know what they were doing and used the wizard, so it's an entire clusterfuck that I have to iron out and fundamentally redesign before I migrate it to our tenant.
This is one of the things that has me really excited about VPC Lattice on the AWS side, it just makes all this poo poo totally irrelevant for the majority of workloads

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hey, what was the name of the hard drive clown that everyone here used 20 years ago? Pretty sure his first name was Martin but I absolutely cannot recall his last name or his forums username

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

I don't actually want to go back to the 70s and 80s, I just want big chonky keys on computers again.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these keylocks didn't turn the computer on and off, they just kept keypresses from being registered

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tehinternet posted:

When I was a tech I always felt so embarrassed for these people who could do ONE thing well but couldn’t sort out how to turn their computer on. Like I don’t expect them to be in regedit or the event log when something goes wrong, but they should have the basics down without question.
When I was growing up I went over my uncle's house one time, and he had this computer where he had never turned the monitor off, even with the computer powered down. He thought the monitor was the hard drive and it was all volatile, and if he hit the power button it would all get wiped. Like, did you notice that you had several power outages a year, and your stuff was still there afterwards?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

The purpose of service chatbots is to create as many diversions as possible. A manager receives no credit for unmeasured metrics like "tickets correctly auto-categorized"
Agreed. The main role of technology in customer service, especially under a service monopoly, is to frustrate people so deeply that they don't even try to ask for help anymore. This company isn't just indifferent to your problems, they actively hate you. Do you really want to talk to a person?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

engineers have a code of ethics

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wibla posted:

:laffo:

As I become more involved in "big picture stuff"... I do less actual work. Sigh.

I need a new job title and a (solid) raise.
I felt really bad about this aspect for a few months when I started my current role, but you actually shouldn't feel bad about being blocked by other people 80% of the time. It's someone else's problem to fix

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There's a Scrubs episode where JD means the most calm, collected, competent doctor he's ever worked with. Every time a patient has a new symptom or complication, he thinks for a second, then says, "No problem, we'll just xxxx." Everyone thinks he's amazing. Then finally he gets a patient who just keeps getting worse and worse and none of the solutions the doctor pitches stops his condition's progression. When the patient finally dies, the doctor has a breakdown and quits medicine. What you described sounds like the same guy took up working on CI/CD pipelines. "Helm isn't doing what we want? No problem, we'll use jinja templating."
This was like the second episode too, if anyone is wondering about the universality of this experience

Cimber posted:

Now, why does k8 spooling up for CI/CD cost so much money? The entire point of K8 is to be able to create and destroy infrastructure on demand to SAVE money.
Fargate allergy

The entire point of K8s is that it simplifies internal platforms, by making it so all your platform has to do is build up a declarative config instead of orchestrating changes across a pile of disparate systems. You're not injecting dozens of people's code or requirements into the deployment system anymore because everything is handled by controllers that are deployed as actual services, and you can delegate ownership of each controller to whoever is supposed to own that slice of functionality. Every control loop is something you can monitor and operationalize, and if a deployment is interrupted partway through because of an intermediate service malfunction, fixing the service will result in the deployment getting completed. Failovers and partial retries are automatically built into every single step of your release process.

Then, without fail, every single company that's new to Kubernetes tries to build an internal platform that rips all this poo poo out and tries to reinvent loving Ansible. We don't want to learn about these async control loops; let's build in a ton of waiters for everything. It's too complicated having all these little controllers around; let's build a big deployment pipeline on Jenkins that assembles everything out of fragments of our bespoke DSL. Voila! I've built loving garbage! My thing sucks! Kubernetes is too hard!

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 27, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I'm new to the IT field after spending 12 years in academia/editorial type work. It's been a huge breath of fresh air, and I love it for the most part. Definitely some downsides but not nearly as many as there were in my old field. I've been in my current/first IT role for about 11 months now. But I'm in a weird position, and not really sure what to do next. Just venting/seeking guidance at this point.

I'm currently a desktop support tech. I do a lot of everything (imaging, break/fix, AD stuff, software support, account creation, basic networking, etc) which is nice, but it's been extremely slow as of late (like 2-4 tickets a day slow). I got my CCNA late last year because I want to pivot into networking. My boss is extremely supportive of it. After I got my cert, he got me into our former corporate structures netops meetings so I could at least observe and potentially start helping with basic updates and what not. That lasted all of about 2.5 months.

Problem is, we underwent a corporate acquisition that was completed at the end of last year. My division and it's IT department went untouched (being stupidly profitable will do that for you, I guess), but my most of my original corporate overlords IT department was purged at the beginning of this month, including most of our networking and sysadmin teams. So no more netops meetings, and we have only have one network engineer now who isn't local, and pretty busy just keeping everything running all by himself. My manager has requested at least twice now that I be given access to some monitoring systems as well as the logins for some of our on prem appliances so I can, if need be, hop in and do basic updates, etc. But nothing has happened in the 3 weeks since we've repeatedly asked. We've chalked it up to the remaining sysadmins that have domain over this stuff basically being under the gun and being too busy dealing with other stuff to get around to it, but it's still pretty annoying.

Anyways, I'm not sure really what to do next. I've been keeping myself busy at work by learning Python but part of me feels bad because I already feel like the knowledge I got from studying for the CCNA has started to atrophy since I'm not using it on a regular basis. I'm debating if I should start doing some Azure certs when I finish up this Python course. Though I worry it'll just sit there unused like my CCNA, though my manager has said multiple times he wants to start giving me responsibilities handling some of our Azure assets. There's part of me that feels like I should just shut the gently caress up and count my blessings considering I make decent money for entry level IT, my work life balance is pretty solid, I have ample downtime to study/upskill, and the current state of the IT job market isn't so hot. The other part of me thinks I should wait for my one year anniversary to hit soon, and then start applying around if nothing really changes in the meantime.
IT is collaborative work. There's a limit to how much you can upskill when you're upskilling in a personal vacuum. If you have really great empathy skills, you can invent enough imaginary friends to build for that you're still constructing something that looks relatively real-world. But as you've observed, one of the principal challenges of the job is creating technology environments that are resilient to acquisitions, mergers, and reorgs. There's really only one way to do that. Weigh that against your other benefits and drawbacks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is a really good breakdown and I’m stealing and adapting this for similar mindless stupidity I see over here
I agree with the big sentiment, but disagree that auto-scaling is an inherently riskier approach. If you have even moderate swings in usage between peak and non-peak times, it's neither time-consuming nor difficult to host warm compute capacity to ensure that some but not too much capacity remains free to take new jobs. We use this approach everywhere, but especially on our heavier-weight batch environments (remote IDEs and exploratory data tools).

The typical way of implementing this is to use placeholder pod replicas with some resource requests provided, and give them a negative priority. That causes this to happen:

• A new pod is scheduled that exceeds the free contiguous resources on the cluster
  • Instead of the node autoscaler spinning up a new node, the placeholder pod is preempted and terminated
  • The new pod is scheduled immediately using the resources freed from terminating the placeholder
  • The placeholder, as part of a deployment/replica set, is recreated so the cluster runs the right number of replicas
  • The creation of the placeholder pod, not the real workload, triggers the autoscaler to add a warm node

You can scale the number of placeholder replicas according to some other workload, or as a percentage of total cluster/node group capacity, by using something like a horizontal pod autoscaler to manage the replica count.

On top of this, you can significantly reduce spinup times by
  • Using an alternative autoscaler like Karpenter that uses pod scheduling requests rather than pod scheduling failures to drive spin-up of new capacity
  • Using a lightweight VM like Bottlerocket, which can drop E2E instance requested to node ready time from 2 minutes down to 40 seconds

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Heard someone say “I don’t understand linux and don’t want to learn it either. I just want to work with docker and k8s”.

:psyduck:
If they get really good at Windows containers, send them over!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do need to chill out about this, relax, and take things as they come.

Really pleased to hear about others who knew people with albinism that lived normal lives. My biggest fear was him living an isolated abnormal life.
He'll be fine either way, but I'm also optimistic that once the assistive software catches up with VR hardware, we're also going to see leaps and bounds improvement in what can be done for partially-sighted people using just off-the-shelf tech. With Apple's developer community, my money is on them being first past the post.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

i love it when software behaves the opposite to how it's documented to behave. really keeps me on my toes. great stuff.
We no longer have developers writing plans for QA and those manual QA plans feeding technical writers anymore. Now we have test-driven development and high-quality testing tools, so everyone can move fast and write software that stably reverses behaviors to do the exact opposite of what it says

In the Kubernetes ecosystem, I so routinely find bad or wrong documentation for absolutely critical (usually third-party) cluster components that if the source of something is available, I'll almost always read it to figure out how to do something instead of reading incomplete, ambiguous, half-finished docs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

Boss is asking me if I want to go to any conferences and I need recommendations

I did hashiconf last year and have done Ignite a few times, so I'm not super excited about doing either one again right now.

We're not an AWS customer and my team doesn't work with k8s, so reInvent and kubecon are out.
QCon seems fun. I always wanted to go to Strange Loop but 2023 was its final year

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I have been working in or adjacent to infosec since 2003. My 7-year-old successfully phished the Screen Time password on her iPad from me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Not positive, but she was FaceTiming with a friend and playing Roblox, and as far as I can tell, she enabled screen sharing before handing the tablet to me for more time, and had her friend watch the on-screen keyboard

I cannot directly ask her if this is what she did, because if she never thought of doing it before, I sure don't want her starting now

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I wonder how many Biden has left in the chamber this year. I know student loan debt forgiveness is supposedly happening again.
None of this matters if the Supreme Court sides with Starbucks and kills the NLRB

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

Nope, the only point I was trying to make is that winters in Chicago aren't anywhere near as harsh as they used to be. That's generally a good thing (though I do love snow).

As for having nothing to do, there's very limited natural areas. Lots of bike paths sure but you gotta drive 4+ hours to get to a proper campground in a dense forest. Most of the recreation is indoors.
This is accurate, in the sense that nearly everywhere in the United States is not a dense forest

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

I don’t get the hate for regexes. It’s such a useful tool and supported broadly.

It’s not that hard if you get past the initial hurdle of understanding the at first glance seemingly unreadable syntax.
The problem is gargantuan regexes that evolve to solve a problem when people really want a context-free parser grammar, because not every programming language is lucky enough to have a library like Lark

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

In every large company on earth, there's an invisible magic line on the org chart that acts as an impenetrable barrier to any form of consequences. Most decision-making authority resides well above it.
Yeah, so, consumer debt exists so that they can lord power over us

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

IPAM is so useful that every product gets away with being ludicrously priced relative to the actual complexity of the product

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Antioch posted:

We just use the one that comes with Windows Server. It's fine I guess? Angry IP Scanner does everything I need to do when it comes to finding IPs.
Yeah, this doesn't sound like a use case that you need IPAM for

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Oh its not adversarial, of course, but Security also needs to understand the onus of ownership of risk, and its not opening some ticket for support, its meeting with the infrastructure team with a list of affected systems and determining the stomach the business has to resolving the risks and how those risks can either be mitigated or resolved, especially when you are talking something like essentially an OS refresh on multiple boxes. If they determine that tickets needs to be opened, its at that point, because otherwise you are just opening tickets that cannot be fulfilled or even acted upon by support.
Yeah, Hanlon's razor—it's usually not malice, just someone not knowing any better. Most people working in infosec are new to the processes around risk management in businesses. The way most companies are structured, especially in tech, you're expected to work directly with your cross-functional peers instead of making everything turn into some kind of management conversation. So, people are going to bias that way, and do as much of the work as they're personally capable of before handing something off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Coworkers job listed the day after he puts in his two weeks notice - seems kind of rude imo. Is that normal?
No, most companies are not backfilling open headcount