Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Swink posted:

I'm getting a new teammember. His title is sysadmin, his role is the same as mine, sysadmin and desktop support.

I've never onboarded a new IT guy, I don't really know what to do with him when he arrives. I thought about giving him a list of projects that I haven't gotten around to starting, for him to have a whack at to help him learn our systems, give him something meaningful straight up, and tell me if he's any good.

I figure this would be a better start than what I got when I started, which was nothing at all.

Since he's an unknown quantity, I wouldn't just hand him a project list and let go. Onboarding other IT folk usually causes a spike in the amount of work you have to do at the start, because you want to verify that you're dealing with somebody competent before you let them go off wandering. Otherwise, they blow up all sorts of poo poo and your workload quintuples as you run around putting out all the fires he started.

I'd ask my boss to have him do the desktop tickets for a couple of weeks so you can get an objective view of whether or not he knows his rear end from a hole in the ground, then start passing off the projects as he proves himself competent to handle them.

Edit: also make sure you're available for questions from him. It's always easier to spare 20 minutes out of your day to make sure poo poo's up to par instead of being unapproachable and then having to fix a mess later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU