Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sarcasmatron posted:

Salary negotiations is another recurring one that pops up every 2-3 pages. This is the one I've recommended in the last two Working in IT threads, the LI thread, and the Stairmasters LI group:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

I've been responding to the "What was your previous compensation?" or "Well what are you looking for?" questions with stuff from that article and it's like talking to a wall. I really want to just take a "radical honesty" approach to job interviewing and just respond with "I'm not going to answer that, because it will only serve to poison the well for both of us: I'll either price myself out of the position or you'll underpay me and I'll leave in 6 months anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I find recruiters to be much more like used car salesmen than realtors. I mean, in NYS at least realtors have to take a licensing exam.

Recruiters just call and leave voicemails of them talking really fast and breathlessly about a great job opportunity with an anonymous company doing something vague and the compensation is always magically tied to my previous salary!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

A good tip-off is that they actually WANT to meet you first hand. I typically don't submit anyone to a client without meeting them in person first.

Question for you, Dark, and sorry if this comes off as rude, but what do you think the role o a good recruiter is?

I've been dealing with a firm that has gotten me two interviews, but it seems like literally all they've done is scheduled interviews for me. When I show up at these places I still have to fill out an application as if I had just walked in off the street, and they haven't given me any insider info.

I've always thought that a good recruiter (even external) is supposed to help you get in the door, whereas the ones that have been getting in touch with me seem to simply be standing in front of the door and just adding another layer of people I have to hand my resume to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roargasm posted:

I can't be the only one who has wasted way more time than necessary troubleshooting network issues when inbound ping was just blocked on the local firewall

Not at all. Every time it happens I'm like "Dammit, if you're getting asymmetrical ping results, check Windows Firewall first!" and then next time I'm still going over NAT rules for the 8th time before I realize.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

I really can't understand how HR ever became part of the search and hiring process.

Probably because the idea went from "This department manages the resources for the humans" to "This department is in charge of the resources that are the humans."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NippleFloss posted:

Wear slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt, look clean and presentable and you'll be fine in 99.99 percent of interviews. If you've already got a nice suit feel free to wear it, but don't go spend hundreds of dollars on one for an interview.

I would say that if you're old enough that your parents aren't dressing you for "big things" you should own a suit anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

God I hate pedantic poo poo in technical interviews, especially when it's asking about some obscure IOS command.

I had a recruiter run me through "some technical questions" which were just him reading sample questions from one of the MCSE exams. I don't have any MS certs and have no idea what the nomenclature for their poo poo is. They also asked me what port HTTP traffic used.

On one of the MS questions I straight up said "I have no idea" and he had me guess, and then asked me why I guessed that answer. This wasn't a technical question at all, it was something where I had to pick between three choices for the proper name of a specific type of service running on a specific server in some type of environment. The only possible reason for my guess could have been "It sounded good."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 8, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A recruiter who had just discussed my living in Brooklyn sounded really disappointed when I said that I didn't own a car.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If it involved re-racking everything I would totally do it. I like racking stuff.

As long as it's an actual rack and not just two rails in a closet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's an insane commute. Mine is about 15km and I would start to go insane if it was further, takes 30-40 minutes already :(

Hahaha I was commuting a good 1-1.5 hours each way to my previous job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

beepsandboops posted:

This is kind of cool, mostly because I've been in no way affected by it: some routers have so many BGP routes in their routing tables that they are literally hitting their limits and crashing.

http://seclists.org/nanog/2014/Aug/162

Apparently it's been causing some major problems today for a ton of providers.

I was actually going to suggest this was the cause for some of the ISP/backbone problems some other posters were having but I didn't want to jump the gun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also, regulators often have no loving clue what is going on. When NASDAQ got compromised (to the point where the NSA was involved) the people who came in to do the forensics described their environment as "a dirty swamp." And that's a major exchange, not some hospital or even a bank.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

The cooling system is pretty innovative, but since it works with exactly zero current rack formfactors it's sort of useless outside of something to keep your art department from constantly bitching about being persecuted for their computing beliefs.

Of course, Apple monitors don't match the finish on the Pro, so they'll complain anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

Get a degree just for the sake of being able to write. Because god damned, there are so many people in IT who cannot write.

This is really true, but I will say this as a person with a BA from a very well-respected school: Do not go to college just to go. Know what you want to major in, and why, and what you're going to do with it after.

Otherwise you'll end up spending 5+ years burning money.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

I work for a Computer Science department in a major public research university, my boss doesn't send an email without at least one major typo. Our last job posting had about 10, including looking for someone with "Linus administration" experience. He has a college degree.

I don't really know what my point is saying that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

My job is web infrastructure engineering and operations, so you could say I need to know how to host a website.

Just use GoDaddy, sheesh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No it's just so obvious that it makes my head hurt

The point isn't what you said, though. The point is that even a modest increase will make a huge difference. 2 years is a long time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I get 20 days of PTO per year, although that's a pool that includes vacation and sick days. I doubt I could use it all in one shot, but taking 5 days at a time hasn't been a problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kazinsal posted:

Day one of my sysadmin degree program. Everyone is in front of a computer with no hard drive and the BIOS screaming about it.

I must show restraint. I must not grab a Linux live USB out of my bag...

But maybe it's a test...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The only reason not to do a company card is if they're barely surviving month-to-month and are worried about their ability to pay it off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

Tech question. I've been out of the game for the last few years but one of my coworkers went and got himself spyware'd and it's easier for me to fix it than ship it off to corporate. What are the go-to tools these days? "Back in my day" I used Ad-aware, Spybot, HijackThis, etc.

Feel free to PM me or refer me to a different thread so I don't jack this one up.

Malwarebytes (even though they changed the UI to look like the poo poo you're trying to get rid of), ComboFix, and then there are a bevy of specialized utilities that will kill/fix specific infections.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I spend waaaay too much money on food, and it's pretty much all because I can't really bring my own lunch to work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Drunk Orc posted:

So I was supposed to have a phone interview with the IS manager of a software company in town today for a desktop support tech position at 1:30 and it is now nearly 2:15 with no call yet. What's the proper way to handle this situation?

Call them and ask what is up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm salaried with OT, but it kicks in when work is done between certain hours, not by hours worked per week. In fact, according to the handbook I am expected to work a minimum of 40 per week.

So pretty much I can get stuck doing 11 hour days more than once per week and get no OT. I can even work more since my job is at least half "glorified courier" nowadays so I'll get back to the office at 7:30 PM to drop off some stuff after getting in at 8:30 AM!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, how are you guys so nonchalant about this?! How can you handle living/working somewhere that treats you like this, with no basic labour laws?

I am all :stare: right now.

I loving hate my job and spend my days full of barely checked rage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There's an SEIU office across the street from ours :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

But you can also leave early if it's slow. And a lot of employers are good about comping time for stuff like this.

I want to find one of these places.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NippleFloss posted:

I've never worked at a place that didn't at least offer comp time at one-to-one for overtime hours and I'm going on my fifth job.

I get paid for work outside of specific hours, but the idea that you could leave early if nothing was happening is like, the holy grail.

Of course, I guess that would require that I get out of helpdesk type stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tailored Sauce posted:

The largest ever IPO occurred in the US last week, and working on Wall Street there was a pretty positive buzz on Thursday and Friday. Went to the stock exchange with my co-workers to take pictures at about 7am (some of us had worked 60 hours last week to ensure this deal went smoothly from a technology perspective). I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly. Deal went through without a problem.

Had champagne in the morning, when the stock started trading, with my CEO. People went around just acknowledging everyone with the hard work they put in to get this done. Pretty great I found a place where that type of thing happens at a grand scale, you put in a lot of late-night hours and get rewarded properly.

It still seems weird to me to see Chinese flags flying at the NYSE, even though I was only born in 1987.

Also one of our clients has a spot on the floor and every time I've dealt with the in-house NYSE IT folks it's been a pleasure, are you there or at one of the big banks?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZetsurinPower posted:

Does anyone use SalaryFairy? I feel like the salary estimates are a bit inflated

I tried using it, but apparently I have to guess correctly 100 times in a row to see my own estimate, which seems dumb since if I knew what a title was worth I wouldn't be on the site to begin with.

Plus you can apparently go into negative points?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Have you tried explaining what Shellshock actually is?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok but Fishman specifically said he was in contact with the user via e-mail, so I don't know why people keep telling him he should do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fluppet posted:

I liked bomgar but not sure what its like pricing wise

Bomgar requires an appliance and starts at like, 5 digits, doesn't it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't think CIA Analysts do very much CSS writing.

Grouchio posted:

Does this work? EDIT: Wait no it doesn't.

file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html

...What if you put it in the search engine? I reached it from there.

If you really don't understand why this isn't working as a way to share the HTML, you're totally hosed.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 20, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grouchio posted:

Unfortunately the webpage it goes to is not only private, but happens to be on a thumb drive that I probably left on campus (the professor has it probably).

The "My Documents" folder on your C drive is not on a thumbdrive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I doubt that his college didn't give him some web space, especially if he's taking CS classes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

I really want to know how old Ian is now. I know he said college but I'd put money on a "continuing education" situation. Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like.

I have no idea how to complete that assignment and I'm 27, I guess that makes me an old man, though?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

We had to do a Geocities page for middle school computer class, it's a bit more complex than that. But for a college web design class, as homework, where the use of Google is implied? It's absolutely babby's first web page.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to do it, but "Kids these days all know basic web design from the womb, it seems like." is the same dumb "Oh this is all easy for you guys!" bullshit users like to say as if none of us worked at learning anything (and it's an excuse to not pay us more, too.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, I think the folks who grew up having to code BASIC stuff to play games or whatever are a shitload better off than people who grew up with iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grouchio posted:

Apparently this course is a pre-requisite for a massive 4-language IT class crucial for IT majors. Which is why it's so very rigorous. I have two weeks to do this next assignment on forms.

I will certainly be talking with my advisor about this. And I may withdraw.

It's really not that rigorous as far as web design goes. The mistakes you're making in your posting about it are incredibly elementary and not even related to knowing how HTML works.

Also why do they have a 4-language class?