Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If he installs a switch that just splits the main internet connection (for lack of better terms) then it would still mean the individual offices have to handle their own configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Recruiters. I'm a jack-of-all-trades guy and they want me to come in and discuss a job at a local bank, 300 locations, they want 5 years of Cisco experience blah blah. I could probably do the CCNA in a month or two but the biggest place I've even setup was only 6 sites. Thanks for wasting my time!

I had an interview setup by a recruitment firm, and the owner of the firm called me pre-interview (like, 35-40 minutes before) and then made it very clear that nobody had actually matched up any of my skills with the posting.

I should have told them to go gently caress themselves, which I kind of did end up doing later.

b0nes posted:

For those of you who said A+ was bullshit gently caress you! This is the hardest i've worked in school in a long time.

A+ is bullshit because you have to memorize all sorts of pointless information that you will never, ever use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I hate references. I have only worked 3 full-time jobs, and one of them has 0 people still there while I was (student employment,) the other one is still open but my boss was a lunatic and I have no idea what type of poo poo he would say to people these days, and I'm still at my current jobs so I would prefer if you didn't call my boss and ask him about my job search.

Why am I being punished for not job hopping more?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hell yes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I wouldn't ask about promotions and stuff in the first interview, but if/when they bring you back in to talk specifics of employment then it's fair game. In the initial interview I usually ask about the technical environment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

myron cope posted:

I do know I'm getting screwed money-wise, I guess I don't have confidence enough yet is why I've just accepted it so far.

Generally, having a job is better than not having a job. You should never feel bad about getting paid, you should feel bad about not getting paid more when you know you deserve it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, the definition of "working knowledge" will change with the position you're applying for. I feel like that's kind of inherent in the phrase.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
SH/SC confuses me sometimes. Certs are worthless, degrees are worthless, you need to get a new job to get a promotion, but don't put anything on your resume you aren't an expert at.

How the hell are you supposed to move up in the world if you can only get jobs doing what you've already done?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 30, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You all understand that "Be totally honest on your resume" and "Bullshit everybody in the hiring process" are not compatible with each other, right?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've never given out my cell number, but I have called clients who I know have caller ID without blocking it. Nobody has ever called my cell, but I would just tell them the same thing I tell anybody asking for it to begin with:

I don't do side work, and I don't control my own scheduling, so you need to call the office anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Umm,

That's not going to change your IP Address. Infact, IP Address verification is an awful way to verify anything.

Going to Starbucks will change your IP address, or at least give you anonymity.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I'm not sure if I should put this in here or the Ticket thread, but whatever.

I handled my first CryptoWall 2.0 infection today (we actually got two today, but one was on another AM's team) and while everybody says it deletes all of the VSS versions, it doesn't. The guy who got infected had mapped network drives, so we had to restore them, and I was able to just grab the VSS image from the previous day of each folder. All of the files had nothing, but all of the directories were fine.

That made life pretty easy, and maybe something to keep in mind if anybody else runs into it and doesn't want to have to go to their off-site backups.

Also today I whipped up my first PowerShell thing to accomplish a specific goal, and even though that goal was just "Make a txt file will all of the infected directories" I was able to make it happen in one try :shobon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

adorai posted:

I don't doubt that the majority of cloud based file services are safe and secure. The problem is that not all of them are, and when they aren't, it's bad loving news. In the past two months, there have been two large cloud storage breaches: Dropbox and iCloud. Dropbox was always shady, but to be honest iCloud was very trusted.

Dropbox had one breach 2 years ago and rolled out 2FA after it happened. Also what the hell makes Dropbox "shady" compared to iCloud?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 6, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

There was also that one really neat breach where an employee's Dropbox was hacked using their password and customer information was stolen from it:

http://www.information-age.com/technology/security/2114488/dropbox-confirms-security-breach

That's the 2 year old one I was talking about. The latest "breach" was just a bunch of account info that didn't actually come from Dropbox.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Man I thought Private IT didn't travel, I love flying all around the country fixing poo poo for this job.

What the hell is "Private IT"?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Where you work for a sole company as internal support and are privatized to that company, where as a VAR or MSP would be external or customer facing.

So internal IT, got it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bpower posted:

He's tring to do the following

double moneyIn = 0;
double moneyOut = 0;

if tmpRec.Value < 0
moneyOut = tmpRec.Value * -1;
else
moneyIn = tmpRec.Value;

Instead he converts to a string, checks if string contains "-", if it does he strips it off and converts it back into a double. If it doesn't contain a "-" he trys to strip it out anyway and then converts back to a double.

He's basically rejected arithmetic as a method.

Isn't there a way to use absolute value in most languages anyway?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That sounds like the descriptions of Gitmo I've heard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There's no line item for "Money saved on service/support" thus people will do whatever they can to lower their initial outlay. This is a mathematical constant even if the cost of equipment failure is the loss of their entire business.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Is this the year we make "gently caress printers"?

Do this except instead of USB thumbdrives they're thermite grenades!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

In this case I want the revolver.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

none of those benefits matter if you can't afford to live off of what you make

401k is nice and all, but for the foreseeable all I'm gonna care about is how much rent I'll be able to pay each month.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

vibur posted:

What's the conventional wisdom on this for something like local gov't or a school system where the salary range is public and the other compensation is usually a hard rule?

Then you know what you're in for and neither side should really care.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Had to drive out of town, but it was a simple "Confirm this is busted" job, and I enjoy driving in the snow. :3:

Tab8715 posted:

Is it just me or are all USB Flash Drives not created equally?

Well, no, not any more than all hard drives are created equally.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In I get a lot of "day afters" off for these upcoming holidays (plus the holiday themselves) but I'm also on call on New Years Eve, which might suck.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Honestly, I don't get tests that aren't impossible or nearly impossible to finish in the time allotted. If everyone has enough time to finish it at whatever pace, no one is rewarded for better time management or a having a more intuitive understanding of the material.

Isn't the point of a test to check your knowledge of the material, not your time management or "intuitive understanding" of something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KennyTheFish posted:

If you want to asses if someone knows a given set of material, then yes. give them enough time and make it so every question should be answered. If you want to know where the knowledge runs out, to rank candidates or to identify areas for furture learning, then a test that is not completable with a difficulty curve is the tool to use.

I would guess HR grabbed a tool designed for the second case, and used it for the first, because all HR departments are evil.

Well if you're trying to test for those abilities then obviously it makes sense, but that's different from saying you "don't get tests that aren't impossible or nearly impossible to finish in the time allotted."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That seems like a pretty narrow scope for a test. If you are interviewing two candidates, and one of them completes half of a test because they spent most of their time on a couple of questions they didn't know while the other recognizes that some problems are going to take more time and reprioritizes their work (time management), which one do you want on your team? Or how about a candidate that has to reinvent the wheel every time they are faced with a new problem, or one that can recognize its similarities to previous problems and use that to their advantage (intuitive understanding, so to speak)?

More to the point, someone who is able to read, process, and respond to a given set of problems faster than someone else frankly just has a better understanding of the material most of the time (with the exception of people with learning disabilities - thanks Misogynist).

e: Not defending any specific test which may very well be poorly designed, just not getting the hate for time limits that are more than formalities on tests.

I think a time limit that shows you somebody meets those standard still wouldn't make a test "nearly impossible" to finish in the allotted time.

And I don't understand the point of a test that is impossible to finish in the allotted time at all, really.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Griffon posted:

A systems administrator/DevOps/Deployment/support + Java and C++ Development in one person? Are they loving high?

And it probably pays whatever the lowest salary for a single one of those positions would be.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I get a 3% match from my employer, but the 5% I contribute is a pittance given my overall salary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

That flowchart from xkcd is magical. I don't know how I've never seen it, so thanks!

I hate xkcd, I think it's an unfunny comic for elitists.

That said, I printed out that flowchart, pinned it up next to my mother's computer and said I wasn't going to help her with any issues unless she had exhausted each step.

She hasn't had to call me since.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zero VGS posted:

Yes but http://goatkcd.com/sfw (still kinda :nws:) is the best webcomic ever

A decent chunk of goatkcd has better comedic timing than the originals.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Do you just need to configure failover? Sonicwalls can do multi-WAN with failover and also be setup for HA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
you can also fire up Process Explorer to see exactly what the runaway ones are doing. They'll probably be making a bunch of TCP/UDP connections to random IPs if it's malware.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Seconding Combofix, that's a good one. I used to almost always use Malwarebytes but times have changed.

I use both.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Race Realists posted:

Potentially dumb question: Is Server 2012 worth learning? It literally just looks like Windows 8 with more options to me....

You just described every version of Windows Server vs non-Server.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Just learn it, it's useful and you'll look like a tool in 5 years if you've still only got MCSA: Server 2008 (or whatever) on your resume.

Plus, the actual tools are pretty much the same. The big difference is how you get to them, but if you can't figure out the UI differences between Windows 7 and 8, you have bigger problems.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zaepho posted:

Also, learn powershell. No longer must you be laughed at by Unix SYSAdmins who script their entire jobs. You may now laugh at them for having to parse text constantly while you pass objects around between scripts/functions!

I love how the Learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches book pretty much says "Learning how to regex means you're great at regexing and nothing else."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roargasm posted:

"If nothing else, Linux users are smart, and their greatest challenge is to find smart ways to prove it to you"

-Powershell In A Month of Lunches

That book teaches so much more than just PowerShell :allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

Yo I really enjoyed DHCP chat but what does it say about us as a thread that we've talked about it for over two pages now. That's probably longer than the actual RFC.

Are you really shocked that this thread is full of pedantic nerds with a preferred style or adminning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would probably be more excited about that if there weren't still apps that required IE6, so it's not going to actually make a difference.