Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am very glad that my brother lives in LA and loves it because I can visit whenever, but I absolutely 100% could never live there and that's pretty much the entirety of my opinion on CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In a similar vein, I was very self-conscious about my Powershell abilities because when I need to do reporting I generally just filter left as much as I can and dump poo poo into a CSV so I can manipulate it in Excel but you know what? gently caress it, it's way faster for me so if people don't like it they can gently caress off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well it took nearly a whole year (although to be fair I wasn't really looking for a good chunk of 2020 while I did freelance baseball writing) but :yotj: and my title is actually SysAdmin now!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lets Get Patchy posted:

It'll probably never get to the 150k+ range of pay enforcing cyber/infosec regulatory compliance in the community banking sector, but I'm totally digging the benefits and work/life balance.

I was pretty solidly underpaid at my old job but I had no on-call responsibilities and most importantly liked the people in the office with me. As long as you're making enough to live, there are worse ways to spend your time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't necessarily wanna use the P-word because it's only like week 4 at my new job but it's absolutely wonderful to work somewhere with a good tech foundation where the expectation is that I can/will resolve issues via stuff like SSH and PSSessions instead of RDP/Zoom calls.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I had an Indian roommate a few years back who was a very cool dude but one time he told me that somebody had contacted him about receiving checks, cashing them, keeping X% and sending the rest on to some address in Yemen and I had to inform him that this was an incredibly efficient way to end up at Gitmo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Am I loving up if I don't have a LinkedIn?

Yeah. You don't have to be active on LinkedIn at all (I think people who post there are psychotic) but you should make a profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

To be fair, this is how to approach things *AFTER* you get to the point in your career where you're comfortable. Many many many people, even in this industry, are not paid well enough to have that buffer, and a lot end up having to settle for scraps while climbing the ladder because they don't think they have any leverage in salary negotiations.

I mean the thing is that it's a barometer in its own right. If you lowball yourself and they take it and run to save a few bucks you don't wanna work there anyway, but I guess the problem is you probably won't know that's the case for a while.

My recent new job experience was all around a pretty great process and the salary/comp discussion actually helped me really feel good about accepting the offer when it did come in.

In my experience, trying to be really hardline about not giving a number or past salary has probably been harmful in my job hunts. At this point, I am fine with the latter part of that because I truly think companies would only want prior salary numbers in order to gently caress you, but giving a number really doesn't seem like it should be such a taboo.