Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

jim truds posted:

I have been training 2 new HelpDesk hires this month and have never been more motivated to quit. Both are over 50 with years and years of experience. They also seem to have no idea how a ticketing system works, one of them refuses to wear glasses even though it is obvious that he can not see the screen. I have to explain everything at least 4 times. One if them spent his first week making fun of women in IT and threw a fit about how he needs a laptop and Iphone. I keep explaining to my bosses how we need to just restart the intern program we had and staff the HelpDesk from that. Neither wants to because it involves paperwork.

e: also we are still on XP. This does not help my mood/suicidal tendencies.

Holy poo poo dude, :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Use MDT, or if you're already licensed for it, SCCM. It's more of a transferable skill than a third party solution.

You'd still need to boot off of a USB with MDT unless you're pushing commands via PsExec, right? http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/JohanArwidmark/tabid/78/EntryID/121/Default.aspx

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I get 3 weeks sick, 3 weeks vacation, and 15 paid holidays, 10 of which start next week. :hellyeah:

I also get paid significantly less than most of you. :sigh:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Che Delilas posted:

I hate these discussions because the Europeans always drop in to brag and make everyone in the U.S. feel lovely about our bullshit libertarian erosion of worker protections as if living it wasn't lovely enough already (Would gladly be taxed more if it meant I got guaranteed healthcare and any loving law that made employers have to think twice before just shitcanning someone they didn't like).
Not European, just work in academia. You did remind me though that my healthcare is fully paid by my employer.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

dox posted:

No, MDT doesn't require using a USB drive. The ideal method is PXE (network) booting to the MDT image using WDS.

WDS isn't a deployment solution- MDT is the deployment solution that you use with WDS. You're only able to use static images with WDS- MDT gives you so many more options that you should definitely look into.
Ah ok. I was thinking MDT without WDS, like, just the DeploymentShare and the bootable LiteTouch .iso file. That's how I use it right now, which is fine for our environment. I would love to throw WDS into the mix but it ain't gonna happen here.

But yes, MDT is awesome as far as model-based driver injection and such.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So this is pretty interesting, in case you guys didn't see it - Microsoft's Browser for Windows 10 Won't Be Internet Explorer

Looks like there's a bit more to it than a renaming, which was probably overdue. Even though IE11's pretty decent, the IE name has been poo poo for a long time.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm just confirming with you guys that I'm actually getting hosed over and I should be looking for another place asap.
Yup.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

He toxxed himself? I don't remember that bit, but afaik he's still on probation.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post438286089

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Is it? It seems most openings in the Pacific Northwest are more senior.

The job market in Texas appears to have a ton of demand for nearly everything no matter what level.

Yes, but, as someone who lives in Texas, the drawback is that you live in Texas.

I mean, grass is greener, etc., and there's no state income tax here, but were it not for family and friends keeping me here I'd have left a long time ago.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
That feeling when you successfully automate <basically anything>. Finally took the time to script out the last manual process in our new desktop deployment. Given how simple it was I'm kinda kicking myself for not doing it sooner, but nonetheless, feels good man.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly had no idea that some people actually used any OEM machines as configured out-of-the-box. :confused:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have what I'm pretty sure is a really dumb question and I'll just throw it out there - there's no way to get around needing a pair of human eyes to look at MAC addresses on new machines for whitelisting purposes, right? I can't think of how you'd get around that but I'm still newish to IT so :shrug:.

Edit:

dox posted:

I created an MDT Post-OS task sequence system with scripts to remove HP/Dell bloatware after getting sick of setting up Windows OEM desktops... it works really well. I work for an MSP supporting loads of small businesses so "just make an image" wasn't really an option for a variety of reasons.
That makes a lot of sense, I wasn't thinking about MSPs.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

adorai posted:

I'm curious, what are you whitelisting mac addresses on? What's going on here?

I work in a university that uses Infoblox. Devices have to have their MAC addresses registered to receive an IP address from DHCP, so part of the process for a new machine is that we look up the MAC address and add them in prior to imaging them.

Is this unusual? I kinda thought most places had a whitelist structure, but again, pretty new.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, I think FERPA's almost (is?) as big of a deal as HIPAA, and physical access control is almost nonexistent there, so I don't know if I can disagree with them.

Then again I fully admit to being way under-qualified to make a logical judgment one way or the other.

In any case, I learned something new. Just kinda assumed white-listing would be done at most medium/large businesses/environments.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ahdinko posted:

If you have none of this, then yes, you're gonna have to go up to each machine and go an ipconfig /all
Well, if nothing else I'm actually just booting into the BIOS and grabbing the MAC address from there, which saves me from going through the initial OOBE junk.

Thanks for the responses all, confirmed my suspicion if nothing else!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I haven't read much on it, I assume they are trying to make a prettier windows 7 this time right?

It's more like they took the architecture of Windows 8.1 and crammed the metro interface into the start menu. This is a gross simplification (much like that headline :lol: ) and I wish I had more time to play around with it because it seems like it'll be pretty good.

Snip of the start menu, left-clicking brings that up and keeps you on the desktop.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

Apparently I'm getting too old for this poo poo. That start menu pic looks like a Jackson Pollock painting. Someone just rook randomly colored/sized objects and flung them across the screen.

For what it's worth, you can resize them, or just remove every one of them altogether.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Getting certified in Win 10 is going to be a bitch.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Working in IT 3.0: Echo goonlord

(Not as good as the current title, but still making me laugh)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kerpal posted:

Wait if you can now copy and paste in powershell/cmd prompt, how do you cancel running commands? Ctrl + C usually works. Haven't tried in Windows 10.

Yeah, it's the same, I just tested. Ctrl+C still breaks any commands if you don't have anything highlighted.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

It hopefully also does implicit copy on highlight

Just tested that as well, and yep. If you highlight EDIT: and hit enter, it copies.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm always happy to look at resumes and give an opinion. I'm not a resume writer per se, but I see dozens per day and I have the advantage of seeing what drives interviews and what doesn't.

I feel like you might regret this given that I'm also interested in this, even though I'm happy where I am and think I will be for some time.
Alternatively, this is a clever plan for you to get a bunch of resumes and be like "Your resume looks great! Also, I have a position you might be interested in..." :getin:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

As far as placing you goes, I only really work on roles in Richmond/DC so unless you're in those areas I probably can't help.
Sure, I was not being completely serious in case that didn't come across. In all seriousness it's very cool of you to take a look for people.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sacred Cow posted:

Have a quick ethics(?) questions when it comes to accepting jobs offers.

I have a standing job offer I accepted back in November but I am still in the middle of a very convoluted background check and have received very little feedback on its status. I found another job that is closer to home (1 hour vs 10 mins) with similar pay in the same field. I have an interview scheduled with this second job. How bad would it be if the second job made me an offer and I retracted my acceptance from the first job?

This is all my personal opinion, but -

In a normal offer-to-hire window (about a month), I'd say that no, doing something like this isn't really kosher and should only be done in extreme circumstances.

Given that it's been almost 3 months, I don't think it's at all outside of the realm of decency for you to try again to get some concrete feedback - you could include something like that you are "attempting to make some financial decisions that will be impacted by my employment status." If they don't respond to that, then I'd say it's pretty reasonable to accept another job. At the very least it's certainly not unethical.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

I need to say something that is mostly truthful to get people to leave me the gently caress alone and stop asking me about this every 30 minutes.

"I am a network admin, you need to talk to someone who works with audiovisual equipment."

(Sorry, no idea about that sort of stuff.)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

As the parent of a 1 year old, this sounds remarkably like my last year! At least I have a cute babby to show for it I guess.
As the parent of a five month-old, :shepicide:. Carving out 30 minutes a day at home to work on my VM lab and study for certs is asking a lot.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Dell sent us a pre-imaged 240GB SSD for some troubleshooting on a very expensive Precision I've been dealing with for a while.

I popped it in, booted it up, and everything's going great, but then I notice it only has 26GB free. I start cursing Dell's bloatware but then I'm looking and there's basically nothing on here.

Long story short, this system has 192GB of RAM, and Windows was set to handle the page file, which meant it was devoting 192GB of space to it. Oops.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
For all the independent contractor tape librarians living in Oklahoma.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Looks like my boss wants to promote my desktop guy and now I need to be looking for a new entry level guy to do the chill desktop stuff. Haven't had to hire anybody all on my own in a while, so this should be pretty fun.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post441048218 Guess I could crosspost this from the jobs thread. I haven't posted the job to indeed yet so if you are somehow someone who wants to do this job hit me up.

Hey, didn't know you're in the DFW area. I definitely would've jumped at that about a year ago.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I will never not first interpret "POS" as "piece of poo poo."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Super Slash posted:

It's all well and good to bullshit with colleagues anyway, but it's kind of isolating to not be able to talk shop with anyone; I had a play with PDQ Deploy today and had no one to geek out with :(

Geeking out over the Internet with you after looking at PDQ Deploy (and testing it myself). That is some seriously slick software... might have to see if I can get the boss to spring for it (license is pretty cheap too).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GiveUpNed posted:

Career advice

I'm not really sure I understand what it is you're currently doing (the service department of what? the school you flunked out of?) versus what you're wanting to do in the near future.

My immediate reactions to your post and questions are that A) that interview question is dumb - if he's going to ask a generic, cliche interview question, he should probably expect cliche responses, and B) as far as "what else can you be doing" - look elsewhere? If the upward mobility in this company is so stagnant it doesn't sound like the right sort of place to plan a career in.

Aside from that, generic advice like studying for relevant certs, setting up a home lab and playing around and breaking/fixing things, etc.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I closed out a bunch of tickets and now I have nothing to do for 2 hours. Normally I'd be studying for something now but :effort:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

What part of the world are you in? Is the IT market depressed there?

IIRC, he's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, which is doing alright. I remember because his job posting was definitely something I'd have applied to about a year ago.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

VMware [...] They're rapidly becoming irrelevant

Wait, what? Really? And yeah, I did read all of the rest of your post; I've just never picked up any hint of that at my position (which just occasionally requires tinkering with our vSphere). That's kind of a bummer to hear.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes reading this thread makes me feel so overwhelmed. I'm at the point in my career where I'm just starting to fiddle with scripting/Powershell etc. and wondering how I'll ever get to a level where I can understand most of this. :/

Then again, all of you people have to retire some day and it's not like anyone's jumping into IT behind me with their CCIEs/MCSE's ready to go. At least it should be interesting...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'd used it before, but since you recommended it I went ahead and started using the Cloud-to-Butt add-on and it made reading the OP joyous. :allears:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

moonsour posted:

"The posting said 40-45k but I definitely don't think I warrant THAT much so maybe mid 30s?"

Dude.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

moonsour posted:

I am literally my own personal Hitler right now. I mean it would still be twice what I've EVER made but goddamn. Shoving my head into the oven over here...

There's probably no undoing that salary damage for this position. And unfortunately this is the kind of thing that can stick with you (since future raises are almost always based on a percentage of your current salary).

I wouldn't necessarily advise you to turn them down if they come back with an offer at the salary you negotiated yourself down to, but at least consider A) how long you've been looking before you got this interview and B) how lively the IT market is where you are, and weigh that before you accept.

That said, if they do come back with the low end of their posted range, I wouldn't worry about it. 40k's a perfectly fair starting help desk salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Also, depending on what you're looking for, I've gotten interviews (and jobs) because I went to the company's site directly and found positions that I hadn't seen otherwise. You can google stuff like "managed service provider <your city>" and look for sites that way.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 27, 2015