Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I feel like I should buy something from this guy, he tries pretty hard. I've only bought one switch from him and it worked, so I guess for a typical reseller he's alright. He always sends quirkly sales emails with memes and stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Sent off an email to management last Friday, attached with my e-mail outsourcing proposal to Google Apps (we were choosing between office 365 and google apps for nonprofits). The guy who manages the trust behind our organization wanted Office365, literally everyone else wanted Google Apps, so he had us go through a huge selection process. Needless to say, after I had the director come in and straight-up tell me "we're doing google, this is just to shut him up", I felt a whole lot better about everything. All things considered I still did a fair process of evaluating both solutions, and the bottom line is a huge portion of our users are already using google's collaboration tools on personal accounts so it makes sense to make the switch. Also I hate managing e-mail, and we had an outage (ISP's fault) last week and people still got mad at IT for e-mails being rejected.

One thing though, I'm going through the standard google how to migrate, and I am thinking that it may be a good time to switch our AD domain name. We are currently org.local in Active Directory (a holdover that never got re-done). What are the implications of changing the domain to org.edu? My google apps account is set for org.edu, and they have tools in the directory sync tool to handle mapping different domain names around, but I've never changed domain names before, always just set it up as the actual domain. From what I'm reading, Exchange 2007 and up (our current email server) does NOT support domain rename process, but I was thinking if we are on google apps that it will work properly? Will it be easier to change my AD domain TLD to .edu before or after our e-mail migration?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably best suited to the enterprise Windows thread, but Google Apps Directory Sync doesn't care about .local domains, it goes by whatever the email address is set to on the user object.

After reading a bit, I think I'm just going to let sleeping dragons lie and not tackle renaming the domain. I'll just keep adding on to it and probably ending up leaving a giant mess. :banjo:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

In other news I just finished all my labs for the VCP5 class 2 weeks ahead of time :woop:

Now I guess I have to wait for the class to complete so I can take the exam, get the cert, and make millions

I'm in cram mode - 2 weeks until my 7 day bootcamp for CCNENT/CCNA: R&S, CCNA: Security and CCDA. I'm supposed to have read all the books prior to the class, but I'm doing the practice exams and study guides too so I actually have some sort of understanding. Currently need to do 150 pages/day every day to make it. Did 250 pages and labs and poo poo yesterday/last night.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just asked my boss for a 20% raise. He's been my boss for about 3 months, before that IT was in the business office - now we're working for the technology & engineering dept.

He was super cool, I basically said "Look, in the 2 years since me and <coworker> started here and replaced the existing team we've cut over 60k/yr of unnecessary poo poo, eliminated relying on consultants and documented everything that was a mess before. I make 65k, someone with my certs and experience averages around 80. We live in <expensiveplace> and I need 80k, or else soon enough it is not going to make sense to stay here"

He said "Thanks for telling me. A lot of people are woefully underpaid, and it shouldn't be that way. It's smart to do this now rather than making demands later. You guys do a great job and everyone loves you. I'll go to fight for your raise this year but it may be over the course of two years."

That's about as awesome of a conversation as I could have wanted. I saw it going a lot of ways but I'm really glad he was cool and reasonable.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

flosofl posted:

Nope.

They're trying to see how far they can lowball you on what you want. If you offered up $75K number first when they asked what you are expecting, you've already potentially left money on the table. Don't leave any more.

This. 2 years ago when I applied to this job I asked for a 50% raise (I was making ~40k asked for 60) They immediately offered me the position at what I asked letting me know that I should have asked for more. Probably an expensive lesson.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Inspector_666 posted:

They're loving assholes if they actually told you you should have asked for more.

Sorry that was unclear. The fact that they readily agreed to my asking price was what told me that I should have asked for more. I feel like if I had asked for the correct amount they would have countered at a lower amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Karthe posted:

What's a good way of determining how much I should be making given the work I currently do and my work experience? I'm currently being underpaid for Angular + Django app dev for a Japanese IT consulting company in LA county (this includes daily use of Japanese for communicating with my boss). Before this I worked as a sysadmin/network admin/helpdesk monkey for a small company for three years, and before that back in college I worked for one of the administrative IT departments for four years.

I know I'm worth a lot more than I'm making now, but I'm curious by how much. I've tried Glassdoor but salaries were all over the board so I wasn't sure how to parse all that info. And it doesn't help that I'm totally a jack-of-all-trades: I've been able to quickly pick up things as I go but I haven't yet found my niche. As a result I've found myself adapting to whatever IT-oriented opportunities I've found thus far. That said I think I've finally admitted to myself that app development is more my forte so I'll probably continue down that path for the foreseeable future.

Ask your current job for a raise. Cherry pick a salary you'd be happy with, and take it to your supervisor and say "Industry average pay for the job I am performing is X, which is Y less then what I'm making. I'm not threatening to quit, but eventually it won't make much sense for me to stay here".

I used that exact line back in July/August and my new boss gave me a 12.5% raise, and my coworker a 10% raise. It happened yesterday, and he (coworker) was blown away. He said that since our last boss had given us 8% last year and then quit that that was the end of the gravy train and would never have asked. I was confused, as in my opinion you absolutely have to ask to be given what you want.