Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
apropos of nothing, but making me smile:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

re: gymchat:

it's not convenient for me to cycle to work at my current job, but I playe Ingress (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557872&pagenumber=1) so I cycle about in the evenings playing the game, which hasn't helped me get any thinner, but I do feel fitter, so it's a start :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

nice one :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

not sure if this is the right thread, but what routers do you guys recommend for small busineses that need remote worker VPN ?

We currently sell on Draytek Vigors - 29xx or 28xx depending on whats on offer at our supplier, but although these appear to be good quality, they are still pricey.

We set them up so that I can VPN to their network from any PC and thus get to the UI of their phone system / call logger / server etc. without having to do complex port forwards / redirects.

do TP-Link etc do routers that support PPTP VPN ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

psydude posted:

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

they look interesting, cheers :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If the DrayTek's are working for you but some of your customers find the price hard to handle then I can't see how that customer is worth having around to be honest. DrayTek routers aren't expensive by any stretch.

A lot of our customers are small companies (10-15 people) and are used to getting a free router from their ISP, or buying a £50 one from PC World/Dixons, so they baulk at a £200+ quote for a Draytek, and it's sometimes difficult to explain why they are 'better' as the 'better' bit helps me rather than them (though they are getting a good product)
So an alternative that has similar features but is cheaper would encourage customers to switch their internet to us, meaning I wouldn't have to drive to their site to admin stuff :) (some have routers locked down by their outsourced IT companies, who can be less than helpful ...)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Look at the new Ubiquiti UniFi USG. You'll probably want to buy one and heavily test it before you start to deploy them, but you can spin up the UniFi management thing in Azure/AWS and then manage all your clients centrally. It's a poor-man's Meraki.

cool, I'll take a look. cheers :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

is there a 'Corporate networking megathread' for wired stuff, I can't seem to find one.
I need to ask some possibly stupid questions about rate limiting / throttling an office that has multiple tennants.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Here could work, or try the Cisco short questions thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375

it's not neccesarily Cisco, so I'll ask here :)

Basically, I help look after a business center - the type that leases rooms to startups / small businesses. At the moment, each room has its own ADSL connection, but for -reasons- the connections are slow and drop a lot.
The plan is to stick in a 50Meg leased line and pipe it to each occupied room.
So, in my head, this should work:

Each customer router would have its own IP and be separated out from each other network.

However, we want to rate limit each connection, as a cost thing, so customers can pay for 5meg, 10 meg etc, so I think I need a switch that can do per port throttling / rate limiting. Am I on the right track, and if so, what switches would you guys recommend ?

Or other suggestions on the best way to do this. What we don't want is for one person to saturate the connection with torrents/windows updates/iTunes syncing etc.

spiny
May 20, 2004

adorai posted:

you want your own router in the middle.

genuine question: how would that help ?

At the moment, in our own office we have the setup shown in the picture, a 'main' network, and two 'demo' networks. It works fine, but there is no QoS / throttling in place, so lots of use on one network impacts on the others, which I wouldn't want happening at the business center.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

Stick your own router between the internet and your distribution switch and you can run QoS on that.

How many rooms do you have? How many hosts in each room? Does each tenant need a public-facing IP? Do they need to provide and manage their own router? (Gaping security hole if tenants are all on the same layer 2 network)

There are about 50 rooms, not all in use at the moment, but could be at some point in the future.
One host/company per room
They don't neccesarily need a public IP, but many of them have asked about port forwarding so they can RDP into their work PCs while away, and we get statics for ADSL servives for free, so have advised customers that they get an IP of their own.
They need some sort of router as each office is, well, an office, with printers, laptops NAS boxes etc that need to talk to each other, but not be seen by the office next door, or down the hall.

I don't know enough about layer2/3 stuff to know why this is a bad thing ?

if each router has a firewall and a separate IP, then surely they won't be able to see devices on other networks ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Jumping in quickly - One thing that's ringing alarm bells in my head is scope creep. What I haven't seen mentioned already is that you're moving from just letting customers sort out their own hardware, to supporting the entire infrastructure. Have you accounted for that? What happens when the user needs you to make 10 million config changes for a lovely piece of software they want? Etc. etc. it doesn't answer your direct questions but it's something to consider.

we'd be charging for our time to do stuff like that, but it's a good point, i'm not based at this site, but i do have remote access, but if it ends up clogging up my time all week, it'll be a waste of everyones time.

Cenodoxus posted:

You should hire a consultant or a full-time network engineer to head up this project. Plugging everyone into a shared switch and telling them to set things up on their own is a terrible idea.

Long story short, having multiple clients on one layer 2 domain each with their own router allows them to interfere with the connection of another client. This could be something as innocent as accidentally configuring the wrong IP address on their router, or something malicious like ARP spoofing where they purposefully impersonate someone else to try to steal their data.

The answer to the layer 2 security issue is to set up a Private VLAN so that client A in room 12 can talk to your router, but can't talk to other clients in any other rooms.

cheers :) this is the sort of thing I can explain to my boss, and hopefully get some informed help :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

:D I like the 'capital up' one - back in my helpdesk days I got asked more than once whether a number was uppercase or lowercase when advising customers of new passwords

"your new password is internet5, i, n, t, e, r, n, e, t, 5"

"IS THAT A CAPITAL 5 !!!!???!!"

"err..."

spiny
May 20, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got one more test for you:

A user calls saying that a certain piece of software is giving them errors when they try to run it.
Another person on helpdesk looks over your shoulder and says "Oh, to fix that error, just give them local admin rights. That'll fix it"

No need to be specific, but how would you approach this problem?

[ackbar]

spiny
May 20, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I'm either showing my age or unimpressed but that looks like a regular ol' fax modem. Its an old one but nothing too out of the ordinary.

yeah, looks like a normal V92bis USR, I still have most of the command set burnt into my brain after doing years of tech support in the mid 1990s.

AT0
ATDT08450801000
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz BONG! BONG!

etc
etc

spiny
May 20, 2004

The ISP I worked at years back had five or six songs on rotation as the hold music, which got played for internal calls too, so if I was trying to pass a call to another dept / supervisor / etc or call someone for a bit of advice, I got to hear the music too. I did tech support for about two years, and must of heard the songs thousands of times. It was an old Aspect phone system and they were in some real low bitrate so sounded like a 500th generation casette copy.
Anytime I hear one of the songs on the radio, I am instantly transported to the late 1990s and loving dial up. Not to mention that they were in the same order all the time, so anytime I hear 'set adrift on memory bliss' by PM Dawn, I expect it to segue into 'Brown eyed girl' after an audible click where the track changed. Still, the job was great :)

spiny
May 20, 2004

spiny
May 20, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know how to make a full screen program in general or Windows remote desktop in particular start on a secondary monitor? As it is now, I usually have to drag my ticket window to the secondary, or put the remote session in windowed mode and drag it to the secondary screen.

I use DisplayFusion, it;'s not free, but it is an excellent app. Quite often on offer in Steam.

spiny
May 20, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm betting it's on wheels, so it basically belongs on the floor anyway.

looks like a 4600. I have one here (at home :D ) that I liberated from an office closure. Really loving heavy, but seems to be made on the tail end of 'When HP made sturdy printers'

spiny
May 20, 2004

Does anyone have any experience of adopting Meraki APs that are already 'owned' buy another company?

We are taking over IT support for a pub chain and one of the pubs has 8 Merakis (it's a big pub....) that are currently owned bythe IT company they have recently ditched.

The IT company are prepared to 'release' them, and looking into it, we will need a Meraki Portal account and a licence for each device, but thats all I know.

Has anyone done this, and out of interest how long did it take and are there any things I should be aware of ?

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Create a Meraki dashboard account, buy some AP licenses, add those licenses to the account.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_Between_Organizations

You might have some luck getting the licensing migrated as well if you open a support case and explain that the APs aren't being resold or physically moved, they are just changing ownership.

NippleFloss posted:

You need to contact support to transfer the licenses to the new organization. You will also need to re-configure them in the new org since the configuration is linked to the organization.

cheers guys. The config is less of an issue as they'll be re-setup with a landing page by a third party company (once we 'own' them)

spiny
May 20, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My financial institution loves the word "showstopper". Everything is a potential showstopper. If something in scope might not come through, meetings are held to determine if that feature or function is a showstopper. Somebody can't make a deadline, is this a showstopper? Is our use of showstopper a showstopper?

When I worked in QA we used that term quite a lot, as it had actual meaning, as if we found a big enough bug, it would prevent the device being shipped, so a 'showstopper'

However, the term 'sunsetted' was also used a lot - to mean retiring/no longer supporting an older device / software release. Used to make my ears itch.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I wonder if working over Christmas is an age thing ?

years ago when I was in my 20s, I took as much time off as I could and generally went to the pub every day or visited friends and went to pubs with them.

now I'm slightly over 40 I don't mind working over Christmas, as it's usually quiet and I get to do all the housekeeping jobs that I usually don't have time for, or just dick about playing games.
I still go to the pub to see friends, but it's the people I meet up with most weeks anyway, so it's not as 'special' as everyone coming 'home' for Christmas used top be.

However, this year, for the first time, we are closing between xmas eve and jan 2nd, which comes out of our holiday. It's a potential double edged sword as I'll get time off (yay!) but potentially will have to do on call for no money(non-yay :/). Nearer the time I'll be getting clarification about this, as I don't like working for free.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I once sat in an interview that I was warned "would include extensive technical questions". No problem.

About halfway through I realized they were going step-by-step through some of their projects and were looking for free consultancy work via interview.

"Walk me through upgrading to Exchange 2013 from 2010..." *scribbles furiously* "... uh-huh.. and after you click Migration, you click the... plus... siiign..." *scribbles furiously*

That's brilliant :D :D

Boss: we need to save money on the upgrade
Staff A: but we need help and training!
Staff B: what if ...

spiny
May 20, 2004

re: editor chat

I grew up with pico, and never got round to learning vi. nano all day for me these days.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Quote the customer for a PoE switch for obviously reasons. Pocket the difference in price as a bonus, take the sales guy's bonus and one of his kidneys as compensation.

But it won't work like that, what will happen is the customer will go "Why are you scamming us with these add-on extras we didn't order, now you're too expensive, we're going somewhere else" and mysteriously, IT will get the blame because we should be able to "make it work" without PoE somehow in order to keep the customer happy.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Specifically, here's a quiz assignment:
"Calculate the amount of time it will take a user to download a 70-KB home page if he or she is still using an older 56-Kbps modem. Do you think this time requirement is acceptable to a waiting user?"
Answer: I don't give a gently caress about what a 56k user thinks is acceptable.

humour me, but is the answer 10s ?

spiny
May 20, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

It's easy to turn that into an excuse to stay in a bad situation though. "My boss rewrites policies every 2 days by screaming into a conference call until his face is red, our infrastructure is held together with scotch tape and fervent prayer, and yesterday the CEO told us we're not getting raises this year right before telling us to buy new MBPs for the entire marketing team... but the coffee's good and it's close to my house"

:cry: thats me, that is.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I am taking poo poo for the level of technical detail I put in my proposals, as people are having issues understanding it and just want a high-level overview. Apparently I should tailor what I say to my audience. Every time this has come up as an issue has been because somebody forwarded an email of mine outside our group to someone in sales, and then sales forwarded it straight to the customer.

Nobody can understand how there is no way that I can tailor an email to any possible recipient that a message might be forwarded to. Should I start writing choose-your-own-adventure style messages?

I do mine in three parts:

1: super simple, your mother could understand it

2: more detail - 'normal' people should be able to grasp the concept

3: all the detail - what I'd email to a fellow IT worker.

that way, Directors can read part1, managers part2 and people that matter, part3.

spiny
May 20, 2004

ok, i've just been asked to setup an ADSL router as follows:

MASK: 255.255.255.224 /27
Network: 200.170.0.0
First Host: 200.170.0.1
Last Host: 200.170.0.30
Gateway:200.170.0.30

this is a router that will be in a kiosk, the ADSL service will have it's own static anyway. I'm guessing setting the router to be a public IP is not a good thing? The kiosk owners do not own that IP range.

I need to somehow tell them this is a bad thing, but with enough info to tell them why.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Just set it up how they want and tell them it's done. Saves yourself all the hassle of having an argument, and when poo poo breaks you just pull out the email where it was configured how they wanted it.

yeah, I guess a round of CYA and just do it.

there are gonna be about 300 kiosks that need doing, got some more info just now for the first few:

Site 1:
Network: 200.170.0.0
First Host: 200.170.0.1
Last Host: 200.170.0.30
Gateway:200.170.0.30
Membership IP: 200.170.0.1
DHCP Lease Pool - 2>29

Site 2:
Network: 200.170.0.32
First Host: 200.170.0.33
Last Host: 200.170.0.62
Gateway: 200.170.0.62
Membership IP: 200.170.0.33
DHCP Lease Pool: 34>61

Site 3:
Network: 200.170.0.64
First Host: 200.170.0.65
Last Host: 200.170.0.94
Gateway: 200.170.0.94
Membership IP: 200.170.0.65
DHCP Lease Pool: 66>93

I can see kind of what they are doing, but each site is a separate ADSL service, so the local IP range is irrelevant.

spiny fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 5, 2017

spiny
May 20, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

According to whois the network belongs to a mobile operator in Sao Paulo.

Technically it will work, but we have internal-reserved networks for a reason.

yeah, neither me nor this customer are in Brazil.
I will suggest a concurrent 192.168.x.x range and see if that meets their approval.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Kashuno posted:

This is going to be a pretty bizarre question, but does anyone know if it's possible with O365 to have an email redirect to another email address, but also to send yourself a copy? We are trying to set up an email to ticketing system, but want to make sure for now we have a copy of the email as well.

If I'm reading that right, yes, you can do that.

You just need to edit the forwarding on the ticketingsystem@email.com to forward mail to another address and select the slider to 'Keep a copy of forwarded email in this mailbox'

I believe you can only forward to one email address, so if it need to go to more than one person, use a group etc.

spiny
May 20, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This post inspired me and now I want to do the same thing. Who's the cheapest slash best institution to purchase this awful domain from?

I was about to point out that if the OP already registered it, then it would be taken. Then it twigged :D

I registered http://tortil.la years ago when Laos sold their TLD to some guys in Los Angeles, still don't really know what to do with it :D

spiny
May 20, 2004

Talking of network issues, one of my customers has some weird stuff happening that they either don't want to fix or don't know how. Occasionally calls jump straight to VM rather than ring handsets, as if the phone system couldn't talk to the phone.
As far as I'm aware, the system is happy, and we even semi proved this by moving it to a temp network with our own switches and router.

The evidence I have that it's something weird is that when I do a network scan with something like Softperfect scanner, all the devices show up with the right MAC for the ip, but the network name is wrong, eg the phone system itself, which is on a static will show up as 'sales-pc.domain'. same with other devices, everything seems jumbled up.

Any ideas ? just a normal flat network with a new sonicwall.

We are in one of those pointless blame loops at the moment. every few weeks they call in complaining that some calls for some users are being directed to VM rather than ring a phone. I go to site and scan the network, show them the result and say that I suspect the two situations are linked.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I have a similar one on my office wall:

the customers it guys claim 'everything is fine their end' as you'd expect ...

spiny
May 20, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

It does sound like DNS, but it could be a licensing issue depending on your phone system. You might only be allowed to handle a certain number of concurrent calls, and all the others would be rejected or sent to voicemail instead. Maybe not, but something to think about if you can pinpoint high traffic volume at the time of the problem.

It's not licencing on the system, all stations are licenced for all calls. For my sins, I build and deploy phone systems. The limiting factor is the amount of trunks, but if the trunks are at capacity, incoming calls never reach the phone system.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Government sites are awesome

The different fonts on the buttons is making me itch.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Kashuno posted:

how do y'all quantify stuff for your resume that is more technical in nature? I am updating my resume and I have some great projects that I can be like "Implemented and deployed mobile weight tracking for pallets, saving the company over 250k/yr in freight costs" but also stuff like "Oversaw migration of 30 servers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2016" which doesn't have quite as quantifiable a value. I know having numbers on my resume is great but I am struggling how to tie numbers into things like that. Is it useful to even tie numbers to that?

The last 'So, you've been made redundant' course I went on was a few years back now, but in the CV info they went through they said it was better to show what happened and why, eg:

I helped/did/oversaw:
- a thing
Which included:
- stuff getting changed
The result being:
- positive points

so, something like:

I oversaw:
- the migration of 30 servers from x to y
which included:
- working closley with my team / hands on troublshooting / testing / QA / sign off etc
The result:
- keeping th company up to date, ensuring compliant security patches, better user experience, money saved in less downtime / support contracts

and so on.

This advice could be woefully out of date now, but it's what I've still got on my CV and while i'm not currently job searching, I get a steady stream of recruitment emails daily.

cheers :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

STAR-oriented resumes are great, but "oversaw" is an absolutely useless word and you should never put it on a resume FWIW

'project managed' better ?