Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I look after probably 800 mailboxes spread across a bunch of different O365 tenants (I work at an MSP), some are tiny 5-person companies, some have 150 people across the world. I haven't got a bad word to say about the availability of the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My podcast library is Doug Stanhope, Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo talking about films, and John B's weekly DJ mix.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do struggle to see the point of it when rackmount workstations with remote keyboard/mouse/display exist if you really don't want to have a computer on show. You'll need a server room for the storage anyway, and a pricey 10Gb Thunderbolt adaptor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pushing poo poo through without planning is how the big Sidekick Data Outage happened.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

I just read that and I don't even want to think about was said on that outage conference call...

Roz Ho :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sometimes the soft skills associated with a degree could be something as simple as a decent grasp of the English language. The amount of people I have met, emailed and exchanged documents with that have no idea how words are supposed to work is depressing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

psydude posted:

YOTJ. Just accepted an offer to become a Sr. Security Engineer. $12k salary increase, $52/mo PPO, 3 weeks of paid vacation each year, and $6250/yr in tuition reimbursement.

:toot:

Also MC Fruit Stripe's posts seem to detail a slow descent into anarchy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Misogynist posted:

Does anyone in here have Verizon FiOS? Can you do me a favor and ping rabb.it a few hundred times and let me know the packet loss, and what city you're in? It looks like they have issues to us-east-1 on EC2, we're launching a product from us-east-1 in a couple of hours, and we need to know how bad the situation is.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter the thread.
If you were in any doubt then any issues you're seeing don't appear to be with AWS.

code:
--- rabb.it ping statistics ---
301 packets transmitted, 301 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 97.171/98.677/152.638/4.221 ms
That's from London.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Er Jimmy why are people getting these virus emails that's what we pay you to stop!!!!!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You do the work of two people for the price of one without complaint, and could be replaced by a corporate credit card. Why do you think you're in a position of leverage?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah don't consider it part of the salary.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

I told him about the bluff

Why would you do this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's also a good opportunity to set out the actual product capabilities before sales-sales gets involved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A bike workstation where you increased the bandwidth available to your machine the more you pedalled. Turning work into a game of Prop Cycle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Take that opportunity if you can, it sounds great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my head the entirety of Idaho is like Napoleon Dynamite.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as far as headsets?

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

Does it need to work with a phone as well as a PC, or just a PC?

I've never had any issues with Sennheiser headsets. Sometimes a little pricier than Plantronics but the build and sound quality are superior.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Casull posted:

I think I've seen the blue USB-Serial adapters you were talking about, though I can't remember the brand anymore. I've never messed with the Belkin adapters, but I've always thought there were better options for the price points they were asking, anyway. And yeah, Windows 7 is pretty good with auto-installing USB-Serial drivers.

If it's one of these then they are the best USB serial adapters put on this earth:

http://www.brainboxes.com/product/us-101/1-port-rs232-usb-to-serial-adapter

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the DrayTek's are working for you but some of your customers find the price hard to handle then I can't see how that customer is worth having around to be honest. DrayTek routers aren't expensive by any stretch.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My department name was apparently changed from <place> Technology Services to <place> Technology and Facilities Services. :eng99:

Department head just sent an email asking that our signatures be changed accordingly. Pretty sure I'm just dropping the department out of my signature entirely instead and just leaving my job title which should be fine with everyone.

I'm definitely not expected to do any facilities work, so I'm not worried about that, but I can just see the Re:'s - "Hey, since you're in facilities..." coming in on a regular basis if I leave that in there...

Proof that the Computer Janitor is a lot closer to reality than people think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at the new Ubiquiti UniFi USG. You'll probably want to buy one and heavily test it before you start to deploy them, but you can spin up the UniFi management thing in Azure/AWS and then manage all your clients centrally. It's a poor-man's Meraki.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TeamViewer with its per-concurrent-helper licensing seems to be what you want here. We use it and have very little to complain about.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Dreamer posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys. One last question. For a resume targeted at entry level IT is it a good idea to list customer service experience under professional experience? It seems like something that would be important for Help Desk and Tier 1 support type jobs.

Help desk is 90% people skills and communication and 10% knowing how to solve the issues. It's definitely relevant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What if you make them an alias and send email to that address? Is it still getting flagged?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ProofPoint is loving with it somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think there is one, but I'm just about to start trying out different systems so would find a thread pretty useful.

Shoretel seem to do reasonably well whenever the subject has come up in other posts though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

vibur posted:

What's the conventional wisdom on this for something like local gov't or a school system where the salary range is public and the other compensation is usually a hard rule?

Presumably you wouldn't be playing the "see who blinks first" salary negotiation game, because it would have been published in the listing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People tend to recommend what they are comfortable with using. I mainly deal with Sonicwalls so wouldn't be able to recommend anything else. I'd like to get hold of a Fortigate and a Sophos box at some point though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mayodreams posted:

We are using a vendor to deploy Dynamics AX to replace one of our mainframes (YAY!), and we have been through a number of planning meetings where we were clear that we are a VMware shop.

The CIO gets a hard drive from the vendor with an all in one VM that does a demo with fake data, but it is a Hyper-V VHD. I start trying to convert it, and its taking forever. The following exchange happened:

Me: You know, this VM is for Hyper-V, and we told you we have a vSphere environment. Can you help us out?
Vendor PM: "I have not seen such as that would be complicated from a licensing perspective as non MS software."
Me: That should have no bearing on a non-licensed 2012 R2 guest. Can you please provide an OVA or VMDK version of the demo?
Vendor Engineer: "The one provided in USB through MS is applicable with Hyper-V if you use as it is. You can also put this on VMware and there are good you tube videos that can be refer too"
Me: :stare: :stare: :stare:

The instructions for the drive were literally "unzip and here is the login/pass". I had to change the networking and DNS service config so that the mapped drives would work right from the internal IIS sites. Thanks guys!

Do you have the option of using a vendor that has engineers who can string sentences together? Jesus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Nope. Begged for a raise, got a paycut. Begged for more vacation time, got a furlough. Put in my two weeks notice and suddenly got a 30% pay bump and extra week of vacation put on the table.

Yeah, "it's a tough economy", my rear end. Turned it down and was immediately berated by the CEO for being a "mercenary".

Dude sounds like a prick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also it definitely doesn't sound like your job to find out what someone you don't manage does all day. Stay far away from that surveillance poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much notice did your contract specify?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like hosed wiring. The PCs connected directly may have worked fine because they negotiated at 100Mbps and only used two pairs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's the other possibility - you might have gone over budget for power on the switch and these phones happened to be patched into a port that is turned off first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the spyder posted:

If you had to re-staff IT for a 480+ FTE company, what would it look like?

Depends on what services you have to run in-house, and what the workforce is like in terms of needing helpdesk support constantly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The SG500s have a 'fake' IOS CLI as well, so you can at least get comfortable with it.

Edit: I have no problem with Sonicwalls, but the Sonicpoints have caused me nothing but hassle.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 23, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been given a phone that links back to the office so I can work from home if required without having to mess around with a cell, and it also means I get internal extensions etc. Plugged it in a couple days ago, haven't been able to make a call on it yet without it crashing and rebooting. A large part of our business is selling people phone stuff.

Really not sure how much longer I can put up with this level of incompetence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

L3 switches DHCP relaying to Server 2012R2 :frogc00l:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure a totally hosed switch also does a pretty bad job at DHCP, I don't get your point.

Running DHCP on Windows allows you to have redundancy, it's all included in your existing backups, anyone who can use Windows Server can reserve addresses, and it all ties in nicely with DNS so people don't have to gently caress around with IP addresses, which is important if we ever go to IPv6.

I've never seen a reason not to let Windows handle DHCP duties, even less so since Server 2012.

Obviously this assumes you're running a Windows network (AD etc.) before someone gets all :smuggo: about that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some things only let you pick one IP helper / DHCP relay target :argh:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also it's probably your fault for asking someone who only deals with networks to run up a DHCP service. Why would you expect them to do it any other way than the one they are comfortable with?