Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Someone said this to me on IM for the first time today and thanks to this thread being so loving topical I actually figured it out. What a ridiculous abbreviation.

Since starting at [large financial institution] a few weeks ago, my least favorite corporate slang is now "from a xxxx perspective". That word gets said 237678 times per meeting. STOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Someone on LinkedIn just used the term "duedil".

As in "the person hasn't done their duedil".

:bang:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Duedil: it's a thing.

http://www.netimperative.com/2016/03/new-linkedin-duedil-helps-uncover-contacts-within-companies/

Die.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A recruiter asked yesterday to talk to me this morning. This morning, he postponed until this afternoon. This afternoon he postponed to tomorrow morning. Am I right in thinking he's got another candidate the client is waiting to decide on, so he's stringing me along in case that candidate doesn't work out?

If I'm an agency recruiter and I have a candidate who is a strong fit there is no way I'm postponing even once by accident. And if I did I'd meet you or talk to you after hours at your convenience.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe my impressions are wrong, but to me, contract-to-hire is an organizational smell that suggests the company is unable to terminate underperformers once they hire them.

It's been a while since I've done anything but lurk in this thread, but CtH is a pretty common practice. In agency recruiting I did at least as many CtH as direct hires. Sometimes the agency pushes it, as recurring monthly revenue (contract) beats a one time lump sum in most cases. Sometimes the hiring manager can't get the direct hire fee approved but can get a consulting budget approved, allowing the conversion to take place after the fee is worked off (usually 6 months but I've seen as short as 3).

For what it's worth, I've put my money where my mouth is. My current job as a corporate recruiter started as a 6 month contract to hire. I did my part and they did theirs. Sure, it doesn't always work out and there are horror stories out there but in 7 years I've only seen one company not hire a CtH person due to budget issues. Underperformance is another issue...

I'm not saying it's a fit for everyone but it isn't necessarily bad. That said, I now only recruit direct hire IT candidates for this company...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

H110Hawk posted:

It being common place doesn't make it correct. Did those candidates receive full benefits during their contract period? If not, compensation for the reduced pay?

It also doesn't necessarily make it wrong. In my experience, and certainly YMMV, I've always paid candidates MORE during the contract period to offset the fact that their benefits were limited and there was no official PTO.

In the contracting/consulting world, it's pretty normal to get paid higher than similarly skilled FTEs with benefits. That doesn't mean it happens all the time. Like people, sometimes companies are douchebags and one needs to watch out for douchebags.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
My old company would sometimes encourage us to cold call people or to call the main office line and ask for someone, but luckily they never followed up and really pushed us to do it, probably because they know it's a dick move. Places like RH or IG? Those places are filled with kids right out of school and that's what they are taught from day one.

If someone doesn't respond to email or InMail, I'm content to leave well enough alone.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I don't really get the logic behind cold calling someone's current employer. Because either their personal contact info is out there, or you're just contacting them based on their current job title, right?

Agency recruiting is in large part a sales function, so cold calling someone at work is roughly equivalent to knocking on someone's door to sell vacuums or tree trimming in my opinion. It's a desperate move.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sickening posted:

Its too big a jump to ignore on its own. The rest just makes the decision easier.

If you don't look into it you would probably regret it.

At worst you put the start and end dates wrong on your resume and feign ignorance if someone digs up the details. "Oh yeah, I took a two week break in there between switching jobs, sorry." Nobody will know about the company you only stayed a month at.

What he said. As a recruiter I couldn't care less about a gap shorter than a month or two. Even after a few months you could still explain it away as a good career move. As it stands now just omit from you resume/LinkedIn.

Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

jaegerx posted:

Have y'all seen this guys posts? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&perpage=40

It's awesome. I hope our recruiting gets this kind of email.

"Big nipples, big life" really would be a solid thread title choice nearly anywhere.