Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Particularly as they've waited until a few hours before the event to line this up. Planning, what's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

I like "The No rear end in a top hat Rule"

I read this book and I was really disappointed by it. It's a few pieces of advice that I can almost guarantee you already know, wrapped in 200 pages of "I'm saying 'rear end in a top hat' in a business book! Look how transgressive and funny I am." Here, let me help you skip reading it by dispensing the advice myself:

1. You're probably a dick at work sometimes, and you should stop. Monitor your own behavior to make sure you're not the one being a dick.

2. When someone else is a dick at work, try to tune it out until you leave for a new job.

There! I saved you $15, which is the price that Amazon has the nerve to charge for this piece of poo poo. This and Throwing The Elephant by Stanley Bing come up as recommendations now and again, and they are both garbage containing virtually no actionable advice, I wish I hadn't bought them and you shouldn't either.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Vulture Culture posted:

Hey, let's cement all our career cynicism in eponymous laws! Examples:

Goodhart's Law: When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.

Parkinson's Law: Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.

Here's Vulture Culture's Law:

As storage becomes cheaper, and the cost of preserving and retaining worthless data approaches 0, the business value of a hard disk remains fixed even as capacity increases.

My big one, which I guess is Guppy's Law: All temporary fixes become permanent installations.

I refuse to do horrible temporary Band-Aids unless my boss insists, because they never, ever get corrected to the un-horrible thing they should have been in the first place.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DropsySufferer posted:

I'll assume there must be a few experts here on microwave relays. My company has them in use in one of our sites. Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

Anyway we hired a contractor for about $400 an hour (not my choice). I was out with this asshat at the site and our entire network went down as soon as he left of course. He lied to me about the troubleshooting and I caught it fully I only wish I could have recorded him.

I know the fucker did it. I can't go out there out and prove it until it Monday. I am highly considering taking a ladder now and going out going out there. gently caress it, just to prove that he is defrauding us.

Would it be worth it? That's what I ask myself? should I just let it go to my superiors while I'm blamed? I want him to to be blamed. I feel like I need to protect myself. I'm unsure what to do at this point.

My implied orders are to wait until Monday and then head on site. I simply worry about my future if I'm not proactive. A win here would secure this position for me.

I'm unsure what I should do at this point. The simple solution is to let it go until Monday but chances are waiting that long is a loss for me.

Nothing about this post suggests your company will blame you or give you a hard time about this. Do you have some other reason that you think you will be blamed, or is this simple paranoia?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone able to explain outsourcing? And explain it well?

Since I’ve started consulting with hundred of companies about three years (yes it’s still a small sample size but I have some experience) it’s incredibly common but I have yet to see a - single - instance where it was actually beneficial. The quality is just poor.

The added bureaucracy just due to the fact they’re not actual employees slows everything down, the contractors aren’t really that engaged beyond just meeting their SLA. True, everyone needs to hit their numbers but there’s more to just doing the basics but actually learn the environment and automating systems do there are less tickets in the first place.

Knowledge transfers are awful for everyone including the business and to this day all the fancy teleconferencing in the world hasn’t replaced basic physical face-to-face communication. This isn’t a criticism of the person however at least in the United States you’ve got to be able to speak English and speak it well. If you can’t communicate it doesn’t matter how smart you are at all.

Personally, all I see outsourcing for IT at the least is overwhelmingly just a way for unimaginative leaders to shave of a few points that don’t understand technology not actual business value.

But I guess making shareholders happy is the cool thing to do so...

With the caveat that I'm not a management expert, I see three main reasons to do it:

1. The thing you're outsourcing is simple and it's cheaper to hire someone else to do it. This is the one organizations usually screw up: the task isn't that simple, or they cheap out so much that they don't have competent people doing that work. Outsourced phone support is the classic example. I've also seen absolutely terrible outsourced internal helpdesks, where end user support is handled by an outside firm even though everything else is in-house.

2. The organization is too small to have full-time staff doing the thing you're outsourcing. An old friend works for a small family accounting firm. They outsource any IT more complicated than "install a printer" or "add a user," which is just done by one specific employee who also has other duties, because they don't need much and they can't really afford dedicated IT staff.

3. You need subject matter expertise in a specific thing, quickly, and no one in-house has it, and you don't expect to need the expertise going forward. We brought in a consulting engineer to design our VoIP system from the ground up, because no one on staff had the expertise to do it. The engineer is fantastic, but after roll-out completion, they're off to their next project.

I agree that usually it's a terrible decision done as a cost-savings measure. The outsourced staff don't have any investment in the mission of the organization, their management will make them do the bare minimum to satisfy the contract because it means more money in their pocket personally, and because you don't control them directly, making changes or fixing problems becomes a pain in the rear end. Outsourcing also often winds up being more expensive overall, not less.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Already holding a clearance is really valuable, getting someone cleared is extremely expensive and takes forever. I don't work in that sector but IIRC Sec+ is mandatory for DoD stuff so hopefully you shouldn't have too much difficulty. Good luck

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dogstile posted:

"I can't send anything out! It must be the network" - App guy

"Network isn't down and has had no changes in the last two weeks, check your application" - Network guy

*cc's director* "We're down, we need you to get network guy to fix it" - App guy who is now on "the list".

I'm a network guy and this kind of interaction drives me insane. Nobody else understands networks at even the most rudimentary level but rushes to blame the network for anything and everything. No we didn't try replacing the patch cable ugh why are you network guys always trying to avoid doing any work??

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

adorai posted:

I am no longer "a network guy" but I am still pretty adept at the art of proving it's not the network. Just accept you gotta do it every time there is a problem, life becomes less frustrating.

We do our best. But it's hard to prove that to people who don't understand the proof.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LochNessMonster posted:

It also leads to people dodging difficult tickets, or closing them quickly and tell users it’s solved and if it occurs again to open a new ticket.

We once had a KPI for incident reduction. A reduction of 80% would mean 5/5 rating. We stopped creating tickets from our monitoring and hit a 99% reduction. Yay bonus.

Edit: Another one. When they started measuring sprint velocity for our performance review I just started pokering the same stuff for more points. Hooray bonus, My team closed 20% more points than previous year.

Yeah I think tickets as performance metric are way too easy to game. I get that ticketing is necessary for issue tracking, but it's a poor metric for performance. There is really no substitute for a manager who is actually close enough to the work to know what's going on. It's even more fun when they want to use tickets as a metric to compare groups that work very differently. This happened to me once because the helpdesk insisted, and we absolutely buried them because we had a ton of tiny little things we did all the time and, since they insisted, we started making tickets for all of them. When ticket count is the only metric it doesn't matter if the ticket takes 15 seconds to complete, it gets counted just like any other. It's not that we were better or more hardworking, it's that it's much too crude a method to measure what people always try to use it for.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanatosian posted:

Now that I'm in a job that uses a ticketing system, I never want to go back. I can't count the number of times I've saved my own rear end because I had an issue six months ago that I didn't remember, but went back and looked through my own tickets, discovered I'd already fixed it, and written down exactly what I needed to do to do so. It's also really good for keeping me from letting things fall through the cracks.

It's a fantastic tool if it's used correctly, but as with most software, GIGO.

I have never really had any kind of knowledge base or ticket database that had a useful way to search for old solutions. Maybe if you happen to remember who the contact was you could locate it. No one ever maintains actual knowledge base products. To be honest the most effective knowledge base I've ever used is the the ol' "bunch of .txt or .doc files with descriptive names in well-organized folders."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Krispy Wafer posted:

No. You assume it's the network and then require them to prove a negative.

At least that's how it's done here. So we spend the better part of a morning checking every possible network possibility and then they go, 'oopsi it was a CPU process'.

We have this problem too. It's even worse when wireless enters the picture. Just try convincing other groups that the wireless network itself isn't the cause of their wireless connectivity problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LionYeti posted:

Anyone here work in an HP shop specifically one where its mostly laptops and docks? I'm looking to try to convince people to switch because Dells been really lovely besides the overcharge monitor thing.

I've worked with both and I preferred Dell's build quality and serviceability.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Hey has anyone said DON'T DATE ROBOTS yet? Oops, I mean DON'T USE UNIFI!

Because don't use Unifi for real business. I refuse to rewrite the giant posts I've made about it in the past, but suffice it to say that while their products have improved and generally function (my house WiFi is Unifi), they don't hold up under real usage. Maybe the new generation is different. But having been burned twice, I wouldn't do it again until someone showed me hard proof of a Unifi AP gracefully handling 40+ heavy-use clients for hours on end. And even then....

I have never used Ubiquiti anything -- and I don't plan to as we have heavy-duty wireless needs -- but I have seen a ton of people talking about how great they are and then, like, three people who say their products are garbage and the company is a house of cards on the verge of collapse. None of the latter ever really get into why. What is it about their kit that people have problems with?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rexxed posted:

All of these practical solutions are terrible. That developer needs a Tesla power wall.

The real solution is probably automatic generator failover and a small UPS to make sure it doesn't lose power when the generator trips. I don't think that's happening but off the top of my head that's my first thought.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sepist posted:

Lmbo

Its unfortunately not that simple. I am consulting at a fortune 100 as a wifi SME. I had Cisco advanced services do a site survey for a high density initiative and overshared the results without an executive summary, so now high level people believe all the wireless is hosed and wants answers. Despite our best efforts we havent been able to get through to them that the current coverage is adequate for non-critical use but needs improvement for voice class coverage.

We have lots of wireless complaints as well. It's a software issue on specific devices, not the wireless network, but it is very hard to convince people of that because it's hard to get meaningful numbers for wifi that people understand. How's the signal strength? Well, it depends. I can give you the RSSI but it's not going to tell you the whole story. I can show you that this laptop has a full signal meter but that's definitely not going to tell you the whole story.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's also infuriating because even though you know the vendor is lying, calling them liars to their faces is unprofessional. They know this and rely on it. We have similar issues with some internal departments.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SamDabbers posted:

vi is worth learning because it's part of every single *nix implementation out there. My day job is to support a unix app running on mainframes, and the z/OS unix subsystem only implements XPG4 UNIX 95, so vi is the best unix-native editor on the platform without installing a 3rd party port of something newer. I'm sure other commercial unixes are similar.

Yeah, this is why Van Vugt teaches it as well. It's the only thing you're absolutely guaranteed to have so you'd better know the basics at least, in case you have to use it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Am I about to get fired for not working on my day off?

And in the dentist today I found out I need a root canal.

Oh yeah, and this is after what happened yesterday afternoon, where he always forgets I work an early shift in a different time zone, and I told him I couldn't do something because I was cooking dinner.

Do you report to this guy?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So what do you guys do if a customer wants a fax ITYOOL 2018?

Sometimes we just tell them to get a POTS line if they want that poo poo.

But most of the time our sales people want that sweet extra dollar a month or whatever, and it's a crapshoot whether the faxes will work over VoIP.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something but would an ATA not solve your problem, assuming I'm understanding correctly that you are in a VoIP environment? Cisco makes them and I assume others do.

EDIT: On a reread it sounds like you're aware but they don't work reliably? That sounds like it might be a cabling issue, I know ours (Cisco) do not like Cat5 and do not like lines that don't meet spec even if they function on less sensitive devices. If the lines are 5e or better and pass certification you shouldn't have a problem.

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 21, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Pass certification? How does one do that.

I'm tellin ya this place is podunk.

Yeah I get it there's no way that company has a cable certifier. (Although maybe yours should.) But our ATAs work reliably enough that I would almost be comfortable enough just based on their failure to tell the customer that the issue is the physical plant for their network. Anyway my point isn't so much that you should test their cabling as that ATAs are reliable devices.

guppy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 22, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can anyone recommend some resources for learning more about wireless troubleshooting? I don't actually have a wireless issue, I have a helpdesk and helpdesk management issue where the helpdesk refuses to admit that the wireless network is fine and they have a software problem. My approach so far has been "Look, I put six devices on the wifi network and they've been streaming video for an hour without a hiccup," but I really need something more concrete and RSSI/SNR isn't a full enough picture. I think the best approach would be to demonstrate the specific reason why a user station loses connectivity; I'm open to books on the subject, software tools, hardware tools, whatever. I looked at Wireshark, but I will mostly be able to use Windows machines for this and the documentation suggests that I probably won't be able to put the wireless adapter on my laptop into promiscuous mode, and I don't know if packet analysis is even the way to go. The wireless vendor control panel does include a client monitor but its results are in what I would describe as broken English and I find it very hard to interpret; for example, does "(user station) is de-authenticated because of notification of driver" actually point to a client driver issue, or is it just written poorly?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Definitely enterprise level, and we do not share space with anyone. All devices experiencing issues are laptops -- desktops are wired -- and are mostly the same model, and they do not need to be moving to experience this issue. I have full access to the infrastructure so that's not a problem. The specific issue is that these devices will associate with the AP, everything will work for a while, and then the client will stop sending and receiving data. Visually it doesn't appear to dissociate from the AP, just goes to "limited connectivity." I'm usually not there when it happens so it's hard for me to get additional data from the client machine. I'll take a look at that link and follow up on the other suggestions, thanks. There's no on-site controller, it's an Aerohive solution and they report back to a central server that's not on site. (They don't actually need to be able to communicate with the server to work, although they should always be able to if there's not a network problem preventing it, it's just how you monitor them and apply configurations and updates.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I am Communist posted:

This isn't all inclusive but depending on what tools you have you can provide multiple data points to prove "its not my poo poo". In my environment I have office space, stores, warehouses, and manufacturing as well as hospitality with both indoor and outdoor wireless. So you know I have to hammer poo poo down. I always look at the weakest device as well as their capabilities. A hand scanner might not have as much TX power as say a laptop or other device. 2.4Ghz vs 5GHz capability and what devices prefer also has hosed me in the past. In any case I have to treat all issues equally as wireless is treated like a god-given right. In any case, I've seen odd things and its not all true in all cases.

I assume you have all the relevant info. MAC addresses, Device Hostnames, IP addresses, and a way to examine your organization's user authentication/authorization and access to all switches, routers, WLCs and APs.
  • First thing I log into my Network monitoring tool of choice(If you have one and get those logs and graphs and pie charts open). [I'll be checking this in a minute]
  • I also log into my WLC and check to see if the APs in the area are joined to the controller. If I have a disconnected AP do i have a coverage hole?
    • Even if my monitoring software shows on a heatmap that I do have coverage, the height at which my APs sit may look good to each other without obstructions an idiot employee may have put there.
      • Ok so I determine my APs are online and joined the controller. Which means I at least have a physical connection and my layer 2 is doing ok.
      • Does my joined online AP(s) have an IP? Its funny that I say this but I have APs that join a controller and sometimes don't get an IP. (0.0.0.0) This can be a host of reasons, like someone plugging my AP into a different port or a helpful lad re-configuring the VLAN on the port. Wrong DHCP relay info etc. Let's say I get one and move on.
    • Cool, do I have AP groups? Lets make sure my AP is in the correct group and or broadcasting the right SSIDs. They are.
  • Now I check logs on the WLC and any Network or syslogging tools as well as any place I can see client authentication.
    • Why is this important? Because bad passwords or joining the wrong SSID is common.
    • Or maybe the device doesn't have a cert and doesn't belong here.
  • Do I see any rejection or error messages?
    • I should see that the client is authenticated and what AP it is connected to as well as the mac-address and potentially a hostname and or username. (Depending on how your setup tracts such things.)
      • So I've kind of gotten layer 1/2 locked down. And we can test some things on layer 3.
  • This is where I would look at negotiated speeds vs actual throughput to/from the client.
    • This is where I see what it is negotiating at. 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and any enabled or supported rates.
    • I've got old poo poo and new poo poo. We had new laptops only capable of 2.4GHz (I poo poo you not) purchased last year.
    • Are my AP power levels too high? [People can see 5 bars from outside the building but cannot connect to the AP in the basement that it is coming from...]
    • Sometimes the devices (and there is variation between chipsets and antenna strengths, cannot reach back to the AP. So they connect inside then walk away, the client somehow is tricked and remains "connected".
      • Anyhoo, lets say my App is a bandwidth hog and my signal strength is low, my distance from the AP is high, my throughput is low etc. But in your case its not. So we can skip this.
      • Am I dropping packets?
      • Are my clients randomly dropping? Is it a roaming issue? Does my coverage of the area barely make it? (If you have Ekahau or Fluke Air Magnet software you can rule this out usually)
  • Lets say there are no physical issues and everything is great throughput wise and the clients are still having issues.
    • Check DNS - Really. If its good move on.
    • Next break out network monitoring tools have a packet capture like Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Aruba & ac os x wireless diagnostic tool to troubleshoot wireless/network issues in combination with the Controller like show datapath session. etc
      • Filter your captures and check to see if the server sends an error message when using the App.
      • Check the affect client power saving settings on all network hardware. If the device hibernates or goes to sleep and the user comes out of it are they trying to click click click before things wake up properly?
    • Docking and undocking laptops? Windows or local firewall rules?
    • Did the idiots users keep putting their laptops under metal desk hutches because it looks pretty? In a metal cabinet? Perhaps a chicken-wire mesh containment box or under/beside a trash can.
  • Ok so we've exhausted all of that now comes the fun part. Digging into the software.
    • Are there any heartbeat or keepalive packets that the software needs to maintain a connection?
    • If it misses one of these packets does it give a "network disconnected error" helpfully coded into the software, forcing the user to re-logon to the software as a "feature" even though the windows machine is still connected and online because the loss of one packet shouldn't derail everything?
    • Is the application not modern or was possibly coded on a desktop for hardwired connections and the users want to use it wirelessly where 100% full floor coverage is a myth, and or roaming and or losing a packet breaks the session requiring the above point?
    • Is the server overwhelmed? Too many user connections, not enough licenses or seats to use the software?
    • Mis-configured or patched server software
    • Mis-configured or patched client software or OS (windows 10 is great for patching breaks into things that work)

Basically once you clear that clients are authenticated, authorized, and remain connected you can quit. But I like proving its really not me. I probably missed some poo poo to check and someone will add to it.

Thanks, this is very thorough. I think I have already done most of this (and some of it doesn't apply, like there's no WLC) but I'll dig in and make sure I haven't missed anything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know what the job market is like there but to me that looks like a job that should pay at least double what you were being paid.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't really have a problem with normal coarse-thread rack screws, but -- and I'm surprised this hasn't come up already this go-round -- for those quick racks with cage nuts, take a look at RackStuds instead: https://rackstuds.com/ Besides not hurting your thumbs when installing, it makes it way easier to install when it's just you installing by yourself because you can put them in and then just hang the gear on it before putting the caps on.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Matt Zerella posted:

Being unemployed does not make you a bad person. I understand taking a bad fit for yourself if you need the money but don't guilt yourself into a bad situation because of ridiculous capitalist talking points meant to shame you into selling your labor at a reduced price.

I agree that being unemployed doesn't make you a bad person, but at some point I do think a sufficiently long stretch of unemployment can affect your hireability.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of CCNAs i've interviewed who don't know how to make a serial connection in Putty

Are these people who claim to have experience? Not being able to make a serial connection in PuTTY is a bit odd, since it consists entirely of clicking "Serial." CCNA students are often using something like Packet Tracer though, where they don't use a "real" terminal emulator at all, they just double-click on the device they want to access. If you put them in front of a PuTTY window I'd hope they could figure it out.

The lack of real-world stuff in the CCNA is its biggest problem. If you put someone with perfect knowledge of the CCNA curriculum and zero experience in a room with boxes of gear and told them to build the site's network they'd be completely lost at even the physical side of things, like racking gear or stacking switches. I don't know if any networking vendor offers a certification that covers that stuff, it's all stuff I was taught on the job.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

Serious question: what would you use instead?

There are plenty of options. I don't really care for PuTTY but I've still used it plenty. For quick one-off stuff I've used PuTTY, TeraTerm, and built-in Windows telnet/ssh clients on Windows, and screen on OS X and Linux. I used minicom once on Linux too. On Windows I actually prefer TeraTerm.

For heavier-weight stuff it's nice to have something that lets you store all your hosts and manage credentials. I've used Royal for that, it's nice in a lot of ways and lets you store connections besides plain terminals, like RDP. I hate its PuTTY plugin, because it doesn't give the certificate warning window focus, which is infuriating because I have to click it with a mouse, taking my hands off the keyboard. Royal is janky in other ways too but overall it's a nice thing to have. It supports tabs etc. as well.

I've seen people here rave about SecureCRT but it seems awfully expensive for what it is. I haven't tried it myself. Friends of mine speak highly of terminator and cmder.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dox posted:

even the netengs can push everything through ansible :smug:

This is absolute nonsense. I like automation as much as the next guy but sometimes you need to dig into a switch and find out why something is happening. You can't automate troubleshooting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Assuming you don't want to do side work, the best way to handle coworkers hitting you up for free tech support for personal stuff is to have someone else specific to refer them to. "Oh, I don't really do side work, but there's this guy Mike who works at XYZ Computers in (nearby neighborhood), he's who I refer people to." Often it's less about not wanting to pay for it and more about not knowing a trustworthy repair shop; in all my desktop support time I don't think I ever had anyone come back to me after that because they wanted me to do it for free instead.

I generally didn't do side work then and I don't know, but there were a few people who were super nice and I didn't mind helping them now and then.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Taking something down by accident is going to happen once in a while. People will rib you about it but everyone knows people make mistakes. We would much rather you just immediately own up to it than waste everyone's time trying to figure out what happened. Nothing to be ashamed of in a healthy work culture as long as you're not breaking stuff all the time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Certainly you can dig through forum posts or whatever and probably find your solution but often you have other things to do that require attention, and that time would be better spent doing those things while the support you pay for figures out what caused the weird thing you ran into. It's not a substitute for someone who knows what they're doing but it's not without value.

You could try to pull this "you don't need support!" crap with literally any vendor but sometimes it's nice to be able to just ask the people who eat, sleep, and breathe the product.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GreenNight posted:

There are books that can help with that. It's tough not to be condescending sometimes and it's a skill that can be harder to learn for some. I find it easier to just keep my mouth shut.

I have never seen a book on this that was any help whatsoever because to implement any advice from the book the necessary "took a deep breath, thought about what to do" must be done already, and if you did that you've already calmed yourself down.

I don't scream at people or anything but I also find it exasperating when someone else in IT who doesn't feel like doing their job creates work for me, which is happening a lot right now. I am handling it by:

- Doing everything about a sensitive subject in writing, so there is a paper trail
- Never writing anything in an email that I would be uncomfortable with getting out
- CC'ing management (this is only helpful if your management is good)
- Forcing myself to consider the political ramifications of these emails and re-reading them a few times before sending them
- When I think "maybe I shouldn't send this," always, ALWAYS choosing not to send it
- Accepting that sometimes my time is going to be wasted and that's just life in IT

I am going to be making a site visit this morning for a very stupid issue where the person escalating it to me did zero thinking and should have been able to solve it on their own. I drafted a couple of emails to him asking for information that he should have provided upfront (pro tip: draft your emails without anything in the To: field so that you can't accidentally hit Send on something you shouldn't), but couldn't get the tone right and ultimately decided that this ticket is for a VIP user and it will be better if I just go deal with it rather than taking the time for a Teachable Moment. I should not have to make this visit and frankly don't really have the time this morning, but it's the smart move. I will talk to his supervisor later so that he can be taught how to handle this properly.

In general, satisfying as it is to go the other way on this stuff, as you said, it does you zero favors. Being nice to people generally pays better dividends and you can trade on your reputation as a level-headed person later.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know we had a similar talk not too long ago, either in this thread or one of the other ones, but I have some slight differences in what I'm looking for. I mostly work in Windows, but I'm also occasionally working out of an Ubuntu environment (18.04, Gnome) and don't know the available tools as well. I deal mostly with switches and am looking for suggestions for a decent ssh/telnet client. I am fully aware of the standard CLI ones and I can use them fine and they'll do in a pinch, but I am after something at least a little more feature-rich. The biggest thing I want is host history that persists past the end of a Terminal session or a reboot. It would also be nice to have color customization independent of Terminal. I would like it to be free and I don't care for PuTTY.

I've asked a few people for recommendations and they mostly recommended just using stock ssh with some shell modifications, like bash-completion, which I don't think is going to work for me. For one thing, I am very mobile and am generally on a laptop and not in the same place all day. If exiting terminal or shutting down my computer kills my host history then a lot of the utility is gone. For another, I don't want my host history mixed in with my other terminal commands.

Even better would be something like Royal TS, where I could maintain a list of hosts permanently and just organize them by folder and choose them from a list. But that's probably too much to ask for something free. (There is no Linux port of Royal, and Royal itself is not free past a few hosts.)

I have been pointed to terminator, and that may well be the answer, but I would be interested to know if anyone has anything else to recommend.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We are having some truly insane connectivity issues and they are almost certainly not the same but I am very interested to know what the cause of his were.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If I remember correctly Cisco's Call Manager (VoIP) runs on CentOS.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tetramin posted:

Do Cisco cordless phones usually need local DHCP to connect properly to wireless? Spent like 6 hours with TAC wondering why DHCP requests were stuck sending requests over and over until I changed it to local instead of our centralized server. The centralized configuration works at a bunch of other sites so I’m at a complete loss.

It’s been a week and a half of whack a mole with wireless issues since TAC made me patch our controller for an issue where that wasn’t the problem. Thinking of reverting over the weekend and seeing if it helps so I can actually get some stuff done next week. the director decided we’re just going to stop messing around with wireless issues if only cell phones are affected lol

I am very tired just now and maybe this is a stupid question but do you have the DHCP options (Option 150, e.g.) for this subnet properly set on the central scope? I'm assuming the scope was actually created there.

guppy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm having a little trouble parsing that, but am I understanding correctly that you're worried about hitting underground utilities while burying fiber? Yeah, uh, you should be. You really want to get a private locate service to mark them out. I think one might be legally required, not sure if that's jurisdictional, but it would also just be insane not to. You do not want to hit a gas main. Your facilities people may also have maps showing existing services but you should still have it checked and marked out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

angry armadillo posted:

The real question is:

If you had a fibre damaged in a collapsed duct, would you arrange for it to be repaired or would you get your facilities guys to resolve this for you?
I'm surprised facilities are pushing back on this - kinda assuming they are just being their usual lazy selves but it might be me who is wrong

Maybe it's because I'm American but I am having a ton of trouble parsing these posts. What exactly is going on and what do you mean by duct? Did you bury some kind of non-rigid conduit? What caused it to collapse?

Typically we would pay a contractor for new fiber to be run and we would pay for (metal) conduit to be buried. We would manage the contractor and make sure that everything is up to code and done properly. If your facilities people have the expertise to bury conduit and run and terminate fiber, great, they can do it, but my experience has been that a specialized contractor is better suited to that kind of work. And if I'm paying for it I want to be the one handling the contract, because I don't think people in other fields are likely to have the expertise required to know best practices. This is of course assuming that you do have that expertise, otherwise it doesn't much matter.

If I had some kind of failure with that conduit or that fiber, I would expect to pay for it to be replaced, unless the facilities people caused it to fail, either by performing the original work poorly or by doing something unrelated that caused the failure, in which case I would expect them to pay for it. The cost of a private locate is part of the cost of installation and I would expect to pay for that too. Your organization may be different from mine but we generally manage structured data cabling from end to end. If data cabling is the province of facilities in your organization then of course they'd be responsible for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone have any advice any sort of experience or training outside of college? I've tried some classes but they're not very hands on and I feel like I haven't learned much at all from them. Any sort of program, class or internship where I could anything even slightly better than these classes. I go to the local community college and it just seems overall pretty low quality, but I'm not sure there's much else nearby that I can afford and get in to.

Can you elaborate on what sort of experience or training you're looking for? Desktop support, networking, security, etc.? What don't you like about the classes that you're taking? What classes are you taking?

Volunteering (at a school, at a nonprofit, etc.) can be a helpful way to get some experience. Unfortunately being able to afford to work for free is a pretty sharp class divide.

There are non-matriculated certification classes, like for A+, Network+, CCNA, etc. They aren't all 5-day bootcamps or whatever, sometimes they're once or twice a week or whatever. They are, however, often expensive.

Getting more detailed will depend on some more information on what exactly you're trying to accomplish.