Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We have a Teamviewer license that is good for 3 concurrent users, which is enough for us. It's bought out of the UK, I think it runs 1700 pounds a year. I like it, but we rarely use it tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You need buy in from someone higher up the org. A project we did last year got some departmental push back, but when they found out it was coming from the C-Level folks, it died down completely. That way if folks push back, you direct them to super important scary person and they leave you alone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What kind of problems are you running into? A lot of what you'll learn you just learn on the job as you do it. I've been doing this a long time, and have all sorts of training and certs and my job still boils down to <google issue>, <fix issue>.

You can always ask in the Windows thread, most of us would be happy to point you in the right direction, but really I've just learned by doing mostly. The books and courses can teach you about the systems and make you aware of features, but won't be that helpful when troubleshooting problems.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're having issues with basic web design, something tells me your not cut out for the world of CIA Analysis.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This has to be a troll at his point.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've loving had it today. I'm running lead on a project that will involve at least a 6 figure annual spend with whomever we choose and I can't get a loving straight answer to some simple questions that I have. I'm going to write a plugin that changes the word enterprise to 'bullshit' just like the old cloud -> butt

These aren't small companies either... I don't get how someone can try to sell a service or a product and then know jack poo poo about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I always oversize the poo poo out of my UPS'... I don't like to run them at more than 80% load max, and you have to size for peak power usage. You might be drawing 47% right now, but that could fluctuate at powerup to 70% or more.

It's cheaper to spend a little more now and oversize, than to waste money replacing equipment in 12 or 18 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

3 quotes for the same laptop or 3 different brands of laptops?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm comfortable with basic Linux system administration (configuring common services (apache, squid,bind), troubleshooting, basic shell scripts, restarting services and googling stuff), but I generally leave it off my resume unless the job posting specifically mentions it. I'm a Microsoft guy by trade though and target senior MS jobs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

There's not really a one-size fits all answer here. No matter how good you are at your job, sometimes you will just have a really bad interview. It happens, and it doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. Maybe that interviewer is just really bad at his job, or maybe you just weren't the right fit for that position. The only real rule I have is to never put anything on your resume if you aren't prepared to say SOMETHING about it if asked. It doesn't have to be brilliant, but have at least something moderately intelligent to say about everything on there. I

f you've got kickstart on your resume and you get asked about it and you have to say something like "oh, it was a long time ago, I don't remember any of that anymore, sorry" that is bad. If you get asked about it and you can describe, broadly, how it functions, but not the exact commands required to set it up, then that will be fine for most interviewers. Most people in IT understand that knowledge doesn't stay fresh without fairly constant use, so expecting someone to know the complex details of something that they admit they haven't worked with very recently is dumb. But if they learned it once that's a good sign that they can learn it again, so being able to give an answer that indicates previous knowledge is generally good enough. Just don't claim to be an expert on anything unless you're prepared to talk like one.

We do team interviews at my job, and I want to share an anecdotal story about a situation like this. I don't do canned questions, or behavioral questions. I ask people questions about stuff on their resume. We were filling a Sr. Sys Admin position about a year ago and interviewing folks for it. 2 candidates. A and B. During the interview process I'm going over A's resume and it says 'Scripting experience'. I'm interested in scripting and use a lot of them to make my life easier. I ask candidate A "So I see here it says you have scripting experience, tell me about a script you wrote, what it did, and how it saved you time or made your life easier". I'm really looking for anything but a bullshit answer. He could have written a 2 line script that copied a log file somewhere on a daily basis, or pretty much anything and I would have been cool with it. A just mutters a little and says "well I haven't really done much scripting". I immediately disqualified A as a potential hire for bullshitting me.

B's resume did not mention scripting, but I asked him about it anyway. "B, have you ever done any scripting? Bash, Perl, Powershell, whatever?" B says "Not really, I've done a little bash scripting in the past I really just google the script and then adapt it to what I need it to do".

B got the job, and has done well for us.

TL;DR, if it's on your resume be prepared to answer a question about it. If someone listed SCCM experience on their resume, I'm not going to ask them to create a WQL query on a whiteboard, but I would expect them to know what a device collection and a boundary group was.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what kind of educational backgrounds do recruiters have?

History Degrees.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

I was wondering, is there any way in Office365 to restrict how people in the office can email-blast everyone? My last job didn't have a published All Users group but this place does, and with the turnover we have it's only a matter of time before someone sends an office wide nastygram and everyone is distracted for the rest of the day.

I know that recalling messages with Exchange hasn't really functioned for the past several decades, but maybe there's something else like a way to pre-screen emails if they are blasted to groups of people from non-management?

There's a couple of ways to do it. You can moderate the list, or restrict it to certain people.

We have a poo poo ton of 'everyone <function/location/business unit>' that we restrict heavily to basically corporate communications, HR, IT, and facilities. All the options are in the Exchange admin center under recipients/groups and of course via Powershell

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been sitting through a presentation today and learned a new buzzword *~Hybridity~*

I'm glad I'm remote so I can bang my head against the desk without anyone seeing me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo... our people got pissed off when we went to Buy Your Own Device... It's all about saving money though, we drop like 40K a month on company cell phones.

Misogynist posted:

That sure sounds like a best-of-breed hybrid solution you've got there, Bob.

Uh huh

quote:

HYBRIDITY
hy·brid·i·ty
[hahy-brid-i-tee]
The seamless extension of on-premises infrastructure to the cloud that enables
application and data mobility while retaining control via existing people,processes, tooling, and automation

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The majority of corporate Linux environments are going to be RedHat based (RedHat/CentOS/Oracle). Ubuntu is the other one I've seen. We use RedHat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're looking for a job and your LinkedIn isn't filled out you're doing yourself a disservice. The last recruiter that worked out of the office I support literally spent all day on LinkedIn premium or whatever searching for people with <skillset> <location> and calling and emailing them.

I really want to update mine, but I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for a new job. I'm stupid happy where I'm at right now, but if something more awesome came along.... well ya know.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

That's a interesting work environment, in other news I noticed that my employer is now watching my HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

Can the software decyrpt those streams?

Check your local certificate store, see if there is anything in there from a monitoring/proxy company.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

internet jerk posted:

You dudes patching your DC's yet or what.

Patched them yesterday as soon as the fix came out. No way in hell I'm rebuilding a domain our size.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Today is so dead. I work at a college and it's Fall break, so no students are here, which means no faculty, which means almost no staff.

Patching my images and studying for certs at work, woo.

We go into a change freeze after next week until the first of the year. Last year I watched 9 seasons of Supernatural during the downtime.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wait a second. It's not Friday night!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just got the email equivalent of a guy trying to sell me a watch from his trench coat. The company is legit, the email just made me laugh so I thought I'd share it

*psss* hey, you wanna buy some storage? (opens trench coat) I got that good V7000 stuff cheap.

quote:

Hi Skipdogg,
Please let me know if you have any interest in any of the *FACTORY SEALED IBM V7000 Storage Arrays below at up to 70% off list price from ******.
*All equipment comes with 3 year Factory Warranty and 1-year of Software maintenance included.
*Custom Configurations Available.

IBM V7000 Storage Array with 48 x 4TB SAS Disk Drives
$182,152 IBM List Price
$65,995 Our Price (66% below list price) *Factory Sealed
IBM V7000 Storage Array with 72 x 300GB SAS Disk Drives
$196,768 IBM List Price
$59,995 Our Price (70% below list price) *Factory Sealed
IBM V7000 Storage Array with 48 x 600GB SAS Disk Drives
$137,512 IBM List Price
$54,995 Our Price (61% below list price) *Factory Sealed
IBM V7000 Storage Array with 72 x 900GB SAS Disk Drives AND 24 x 4TB SAS Drives
$309,304 IBM List Price
$99,995 Our Price (68% below list price) *Factory Sealed
IBM V7000 Storage Array with 144 x 1.2TB SAS Disk Drives
$479,656 IBM List Price
$145,300 Our Price (70% below list price) *Factory Sealed
IBM V7000 Storage Array with 72 x 600GB SAS Disk Drives AND 24 x 2TB SATA Drives
$250,544 IBM List Price
$84,995 Our Price (67% below list price) *Factory Sealed

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The sad thing, like a previous poster mentioned, is it's often cheaper to deal with the fines and the fallout than it is to do it the right way. It becomes a 'business decision'.

Option A: Do poo poo the right way. Cost 10MM dollars

Option B: Hope we don't get caught for not doing option A, total cost 0, with possibility of 2MM in exposure

A business person will take B almost all of the time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What is it with everyone wanting to be an IT Security penetration tester?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

psydude posted:

They think it means being a badass white-hat hacker instead of mostly running scripts to check for vulnerabilities every day.

Don't forget the reports. So many reports, and PowerPoint, yes lots of PowerPoint.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IT Security and specifically pen-testing just kind of set me off when I see someone new to IT mention them. The TV has glamorized them so much and reality is nothing like what the tv and movies show. Many people seriously think it's some glamorous job where they're hacking the gibson or doing some poo poo they saw in Swordfish.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Che Delilas posted:

The actual professionals get tired of explaining to our families what we do in a way they can understand (car analogies, always car analogies) and it gets a little annoying.

I don't even bother anymore unless someone asks something specific. I tell people "I do computer stuff for big companies", no one ever presses for more details and the big companies part makes it easy to avoid fixing their busted rear end laptop.

My own wife couldn't tell you what I actually do all day or what part of IT I work in. She knows I deal with Microsoft stuff, that's about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bhodi posted:

Where did CF go, by the way? I missed it.

All his posts in this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=123883&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I stopped reading his posts after he posted that his boss expressed worry that he worked something like 13 days straight

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Regarding on-call, I have to say working for a global company has it's benefits. We have IT staff in India, France, the UK, and all 3 timezones in the US. I think there's a couple of hours a day where there is no IT staff working during normal business hours.

I still go on call once every 6 weeks for an entire week, but I just have to respond to any alerts, phone calls and check the backup jobs. It's not difficult at all and we get some extra compensation for it. There are rarely any alerts, and never any calls.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yes, but, as someone who lives in Texas, the drawback is that you live in Texas.

I mean, grass is greener, etc., and there's no state income tax here, but were it not for family and friends keeping me here I'd have left a long time ago.

I've lived all over the place and moved TO Texas. I like it here for some strange reason.

I want to move to Baton Rouge or NOLA to be closer to family, but the IT job market doesn't seem so hot. Texas isn't too far away and we get to visit often.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

flosofl posted:

I've never gone wrong with Rockports when I had a hefty walking commute from the train station to the building when I worked in Chicago. Whatever you do, don't get a pair of "budget" shoes no matter how much you like their looks. Shoes are one of the few things where quality costs and is very much worth it.

In addition to paying for good quality shoes, make sure the drat things fit. Every shoemaker has different lasts and every shoe fits your foot differently. If you're in a pair of dress shoes and they are too tight, or too loose you're going to be in pain. If you need a wide shoe, buy a wide shoe. I *thought* I wore a size 11 for the longest time when I was younger, turns out a 10W works best for me. If your getting blisters, your shoes don't fit properly.

This is a decent article about mens dress shoes. http://dealnews.com/features/How-to-Find-Mens-Dress-Shoes-That-Will-Last-for-Decades/1128295.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo, my default OS drive is 60GB for my server builds. 2008R2 will drat near use 35 after install and patching.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I never login to LinkedIn, but I did the other day, and I found a ton of jobs on there that indeed and other search engines weren't picking up in my area. Might have to check it out more often

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

My entire call center uses some Jabra and/or Plantronics wireless headsets that for the most part are fine, but I have users with serious interference issues, or headsets magically unpairing from the base station, and giving them new models out of the box doesn't fix anything.

We're 2400sqft with 200 users who are all mostly on the phone, so pretty high density.

Like 90% of people are on DECT 1.9 with 5% on DECT 6 (both of these standards are around the 1900mhz band) and 5% on 900mhz.

Anyone have any hints to unfuck this place? Worst part is we're looking to hire another 200 people and put them on the floor directly below us.

Move to wired headsets. You can't throw that much radio traffic in a small band in that small of a space and expect everything to work properly.

edit: How packed in there are you? We have 450 seats in our call center and the building is drat near 38,000 sf. We have multiple training and conference rooms, bathrooms and breakrooms but still, our cubes are 5ft x 5ft

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 16, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Oh dear: "We think of Windows as a service........" Here we go.

That's been coming for a while.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-per-user-windows-licensing-available-to-enterprise-customers/

We're actually looking forward to per user windows licensing to be honest

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Contract work can suck if you have a nice cushy FTE position with a good benefit package.

On the plus side no one really expects much from contractors. You put in exactly 40 hours and thats it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alfajor posted:

I just had my 8th anniversary at work, and while I can see myself staying here for another 2~4 years, I'm going to start looking around. Not sure if I should hit up a recruiter, or just apply to stuff I find posted... I guess I should start with updating my resume first, which is a task in itself since I've been a generalist and all my "feathers" are all over the place.

Why are you looking around? I've been at my current gig over 10 years now (not in the same role), and the company takes good care of us and I'm pretty happy overall.

The hardest part about finding a new job would be finding this much vacation time again. I get 22 vacation days, not counting sick and normal company holidays.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rhymenoserous posted:

But yeah that's actually a pretty familiar story for IT dudes in their 40's. My last boss was one of those, severely atrophied and out of date skillsets are the norm.

It's sad, but serves as a reminder that you have to keep your skillset current, even if you have to do it yourself. If your work doesn't expose you to new poo poo, you have to do it on your own time. A longtime co-worker was let go in a departmental re-org last year, and for years I've been trying to get him to learn new stuff. VMware, Powershell, Server 2008R2+, MDT any kind of new technology. He really didn't give a crap, and didn't take the time to learn new stuff. He stuck with his Norton Ghost boot CD, and Server 2003 knowledge, and never missed a chance to tell us how awesome Netware was back in the day. He was comfortable with his knowledge and didn't want to learn new poo poo. Last I heard he's been unemployed over 8 months in a fairly decent job market. I guess no one cares about his Netware certifications, or his advanced knowledge of Exchange 2003 these days.

This is also another reason I will never go into middle management, they're the FIRST to go during any kind of acquisition or restructure.

jim truds posted:

What info do you use to figure out where your salary is at? I'm changing job markets and I'm also currently underpaid right now. I made the mistake of mentioning my current salary which is low for my current market so I'm trying to get some info so I can argue for a pretty large increase.

Glassdoor, Indeed, salary.com, payscale.com, local job postings with ranges listed. That should get you in an approximate ballpark.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Methanar posted:

I got a tour through a reasonably small data center/server room today, was about 4 rows of racks that were maybe 12ft long each. Listening to the IT lead wave it off as being only $1.6m while giving a speech about MPLS, PCI compliance, and BGP was pretty overwhelming. I dunno if I'm actually going to be able to work in this industry.

Meh. You get used to things. I remember my first 6 figure purchase and how insane it seemed. Now they're routine. Or the coolness of racking my first few servers. Another example, my wife works at a bank. She doesn't even blink at a half a million dollars in cash anymore. Well maybe.... she gets pissed if she has to double count it but she's around it so much it's no big deal to her

You just get used to things and they're not that special after a while.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whoooo it's loving Monday alright... 2 sites down, directly affecting revenue, and a company wide cloud app is offline. Haven't had one of these in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

After you have professional working experience I don't give a poo poo where you went to school or what you majored in. You could have majored in Multicultural Womens Studies for all I care.