Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

What would be good titles to be searching for if intune+AAD is fine? I need to find something decently paying and remote to facilitate a move next year.

Just keyword search for Intune, Entra, but job titles usually fall in the lines of having the word "endpoint" or "workstation" in the name, workstation engineer, endpoint administrator, some may just be "intune".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well official layoff announcements hit, good news is my team and I are fine. Seems to be mostly positions made redundant by the acquisition (legal, marketing, etc). None of IT seems to have been impacted, at least for now.
Still, sucks poo poo to see ~200 people let go in a day.

What was the timeline on the acquisition? In my personal experience, having been through 3 acquisitions (company was acquired each time), there are generally 3 distinct rounds of layoffs after an event like this.

Round 1: 0-30 days - redundant departments where the workload is easily absorbed (Marketing, HR executives, other executive level positions that don't need any sort of knowledge transfer). Generally the worker bees are somewhat safe. Like site specific HR staff were usually spared, but HR management was let loose. Marketing was almost always 100% let go.

Round 2: around the 6 month mark (depending on org could be as soon as 4 months, could take 12 months) This is when the new executives have had time to figure out the new org charts and middle management gets shaken up a bit. Teams officially combine, lower level VP's, Exec Directors, Directors, etc depending on the size of the org and have finished their power struggle and have either won or lost. Usually not a lot of worker bees affected in this round, unless entire teams are nuked, but it's the roughest time for middle management

Round 3: Generally 12 months post acquisition (could be 18 or longer, it depends). Most integration and migration activities should be done, knowledge transfer, integrations, whatever, and you'll start to see targeted cuts across the workforce. This depends really. We never had geographical overlap with the companies that bought us, so site support and local IT were never touched. Many times enough folks have left over the last year this isn't too bad.

Now the above observations were during relatively normal economic times. No major stress to cut a ton of money or anything like that. These were also acquisitions where we folded into the new parent company. Sometimes you get bought and just get left alone to do your own thing for a while. That happened to some folks I worked with when Google bought Motorola.

jaegerx posted:

What loving archaic system still only allows 8 character user names and never deletes old accounts.

Ugh gently caress you

OOOH I KNOW I KNOW

Peoplesoft or some other ancient HR system. A couple environments ago we could never delete an AD account because it would gently caress everything up between the HR system and AD.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 4, 2024

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dust settled from the layoff announcements. My team/division is untouched, but our former corporate overlords lost about 80% of their IT people. Including most of the sysadmins, desktop support, and network people. Welp.

We're hanging onto everyone until the end of March with an option to keep them longer if need be to assist with the migration. Though lol at thinking people are gonna hang around a minute longer than they need to at this point.

Silver lining is my boss explicitly said today that now he has a case for getting more sysadmins and network people now and has every reason to help believe he'll get them one way or the other. It just sucks poo poo they axed so many people.

Also the office where the majority of layoffs hit is in San Diego. They offered a sysadmin and a network admin role to those let go, but the position is in person in like Memphis or Tulsa or some poo poo. Which lol, because apparently everyone quickly turned that offer down when it was presented .

They doing any sort of retention/transition bonus? 3 to 6 months pay if they finished the transition work was my experience in the past. What's the severance look like?

I don't have a feel for the job market so far this year yet. Things weren't so great towards the end of the year, so if things are still rough out there more folks might be sticking around than you think.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My former boss was offered 6 months lump sum if he stuck around 9 months to assist with the transition. Dude walked in at 10:30am, and was gone by 2 every day for at least 9 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

Well, it finally happened. :yotj:

Congrats!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

johnny park posted:

Yeah I mean I'm following the directions on their official guide pages to the letter. I'm using the newest version of the ODT and a freshly made configuration.xml using https://config.office.com/deploymentsettings and it still just tells me "We're sorry, we had a problem installing your Office program(s). Is your internet connection working? Do you have enough free space on your main hard drive? Please try installing again after you've checked the above." I've tried three different PCs as well so I know it's not a local issue, and our antivirus isn't blocking it, and it's not blocked in Windows Defender Firewall. I'm pretty much out of ideas :shrug:

You have any sort of proxy, or connectivity issues to the Microsoft CDN?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

unironically everyone's username should be an id

everything else is vanity (let display names and aliases be whatever is appropriate)

This.

firstname.lastname or firstinitial.lastname was fine in my experience until we hit about 10K users. Then duplicates started getting out of hand. msmith14 and so on. We have like 70K human user accounts right now, and we use a unique ID that is driven by Workday for logon/username.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im close enough to Madison that I've known a few people that have gone to work for Epic.

They seem to pay decent and have good benefits for the region, and having any Epic experience can open up a lot of doors for you in hospitals if thats your jam. The friends I've had that worked there seemed to like it well enough. The only negative I've heard about them is that they are 100% dedicated to butts in seats. Like even if you work there 10+ years in office and show what a star IT employee you are they'll never let you work remote.

My SiL pivoted from being a rad tech to doing IT support for Epic's radiology software and spent a couple weeks up at Epic HQ for training. She loved it, and thought it was so neat. Whimsical themed rooms everywhere, nap pods, campus bicycles, poo poo like that. Folks eat that poo poo up but most of us see through it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

klosterdev posted:

Never lived in Madison but I've visited countless times and it's great. Only ever visited in the summer tho, (and once in November) I hear the winters are brutal.

$1200 for a one bedroom sounds like a steal tho coming from the Bay Area.

1200 for a nice one bedroom isn't out of line here in San Antonio either. When I moved here in 2006 I was paying 750 for a reasonably nice 1 bedroom apt in a gated complex. That same apartment rents for 1200 a month right now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Umbreon posted:

Several days in at my new job at <Major bank>. I have not been able to do any training or work or even log in from home on my work from home days because I still don't have access to anything. I don't even have an assigned cubicle yet, and no one from my team even works in the same state as me. Basically just being paid to sit in random unused conference rooms and shitpost on my phone.

Yeah, sounds about right. poo poo moves slow at banks. Don't expect to do anything productive for at least 60 days. When you do get access I'm going to assume you have 2 or 3 days worth of compliance trainings to take before they even let you touch anything.

Don't worry, it's normal. We don't expect anything out of anyone the first 90 days and figure it takes about a year to get fully up to speed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LochNessMonster posted:

Having to deal with all the regulations and red tape is probably is probably part of the reason thry pay above average.

This. I often tell my wife I get paid a premium to deal with all the red tape and BS.

Umbreon posted:

I appreciate the input on banks, it's nice to know I'm not going through anything out of the ordinary. Still though, I really hope I don't have to wait 2-3 months before I can do any actual work but if that's how it is then whatever, at least I'm getting paid for it lol.

The way I see it, employers are paying you for 40(ish) hours of your time a week. How they use that time is up to them. If they want to bog me down with processes that take hours so 5 minutes of actual work can be done, that's their prerogative. If I have to take 8 hours of training every quarter about money laundering and other compliance stuff, they decided that's what they want to use my time for. It's also not my job to make sure they use my time in an efficient manner.

Both of my major projects last year ended up getting canceled for various reasons, none of which had anything to do with me. Old me would have took it personally and looked at the year as a failure. I did exactly what was asked of me, in the end the projects didn't work out, everyone is happy with my performance and work output, and live moves on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They announced bonus and the Chick fil A at HQ is opening back up in a couple months. Most folks are pretty happy today.

I’m still remote for now but if they told me tomorrow I need to be in the office, I’d go in. The market isn’t great right now, especially for remote openings.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Do you still have snipers on the roof?

I’ve never really looked. No shortage of armed guards around though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

89 new posts... oh man whats going on?

I bought my first house when I was 28 for 159K. My kids will never get the opportunity I did.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I keep my bill millers job on my resume from when I was 16 because they paid more than any other place at the time. It's my flex.

Ever work at HEB? I thought that was everyone’s first job

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, natural disasters are one of the key reasons you develop and test disaster recovery plans. I think we're talking past each other, I'm not upset or anything they shut down the servers, just surprised that a large company releasing a major product didn't plan for that. If a major earthquake hits San Francisco it would be the last thing that matters, but YouTube and Netflix will probably keep on chugging.

When planning for DR, there's a certain risk appetite that gets decided on by the company. Things start getting really expensive the more you chase redundancy. You can overbuild the poo poo out of anything if you have the money to pay for it. Business folks are notoriously hesitant to increase costs.

We overbuild our environment by 400%. We can lose 75% of our infrastructure with minimal impact to the business, and believe it or not we stress test it weekly and do full failovers monthly, any deficiencies noticed are remediated as soon as possible. It's expensive, but we don't have much of a choice as a financial institution.

My last org made the business decision to only make certain systems redundant due to cost. The business accepted the risk of certain other data and systems being unavailable in certain situations.

Currently we're adding a datacenter location outside of Texas because after the winter storm a couple years ago we can't trust the Texas power grid. Our backup generators worked, never ran out of fuel, but the business has decided the additional costs is worth it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just had my SAFE 6.0 refresher last week. Can't get away from this stuff.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

guppy posted:

I always thought Agile was a software development thing. And that like everything else, specific implementations were frequently screwed up, but that the basic concepts were liked. If they are shoehorning a software dev thing into IT I would expect that to go poorly.

Yes.

We try to use Agile for IT Infrastructure work that should be more standard project management/waterfall, and it's hilariously bad.

We moved to Kanban and it's tolerable but still annoying.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm going to have to talk to our virtual hosting folks, because there is no way in hell we're going to pay that sort of ransom to stay on vmware.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Back to openstack and rackspace for you

I heard a rumor they've been looking at Nutanix

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Buddy they have far more important things to get done, where's my real MFA and longer than 12 character passwords at, tell them a guy on the internet keeps yelling at you and you just want to make it stop.

Yubikey support when

I can't say much of course, but you would be surprised how many folks do not have smart phones. It's a significant enough number

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

I posted a part time helpdesk position over the summer with a very clear "THIS IS NOT A PROGRAMMING JOB, MUST BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER" header and I still got a ton of applicants from people who had master's degrees in CS. I was looking more for somebody who had an associates degree or something like that.

If you have a local community college, reach out to the teachers or the career office there and you'll probably have your pick of candidates.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Umbreon posted:

It's been two months since I've started this job at <BANK>. I still haven't worked a single ticket, my training still isn't even *defined* anywhere, much less complete, and I only actually receive any training from someone for an hour or two around once a week, twice if I'm lucky. The rest of the time I'm just being paid to sit there.

I get that they're too understaffed to spare anyone to train me, but this still feels so incredibly wrong and I've been desperately looking for any training material I have access to. I found a 40 page document labeled "Basic ticket handling steps" which I've been using to keep myself busy, but it's outdated as hell and missing a ton.

Dumb question:

Is it possible for a company to hire someone for an understaffed team but have to let that person go because they literally can't spare anyone to train the new guy?

LOL. Not surprised at all.

I wouldn't worry about being let go. Headcount is hard to come by and managers are always reluctant to give it up. Check the banks severance policy, we pay out a year salary if we let you go.

The only thing I would advise is to take advantage of any sort of internal training or learning systems you may find yourself with access to. Like Udemy or something. If someone happens to ask you what you did that week, just pad what you actually did with some training course in the system or whatever.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Accipiter posted:

As someone who travels A LOT (not for work), I will tell you that often times the vacations where you do very little can be some of the best.

The nickname given to me at work is "jet set" because of how much I travel, but with as much plane hopping as I do I still enjoy the hell out of a week of just not working.

A guy I used to work with travels like every other weekend. Just picks a random place that has a cheap flight, flies out Friday night, checks out some local breweries, and flies home Sunday. He's a single dude with no other responsibilities and thats what he likes to do. Super jealous and think it would be really cool.

When the kids are grown, I'd love to just go to google flights, pick a cheap flight somewhere and spend a weekend somewhere I've never been.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gucci Loafers posted:

That's fair but my question is as to what depth exactly? What would expect if you where hiring for someone on your team?

I'm trying to think of an example but if it's an AD Expert do you really want to memorize certain commands as task? I know there some situations where you've got to use tools like DSQuery over PowerShell or ADUC but gently caress if I know the exact circumstances or the commands off the top of my head but give a minute and I'm sure I'd figure it pretty quick.

AD SME with a large corporation here

What we look for is deep understanding of how AD works. It's not hard to use AD, manage users, groups, GPO's, things like that. We have a team of 11 Senior level "engineers" managing our extremely busy and heavily used AD environment most of us have north of 15 years experience. We run into things at our scale that most folks don't have to worry about.

Interview questions usually revolve around explaining the various FSMO roles and their importance. How things like RID pools work, troubleshooting replication issues, what happens if a domain controller dies and can't be demoted properly. Some of the guys on my team do some trivia style questions. I prefer open ended questions about any sort of odd issues with AD they ever ran into. Things like Kerberos double hop, Kerberos token size limitation, troubleshooting high load, powershell automation, etc.

Our interviews are actually pretty short. 30 to 45 minutes for the technical part, just want to get a feel for someone that knows what they're talking about and has a deeper level of understanding about AD than most. That's plenty of time for us to sus out if someone knows their poo poo or not. No one is going to walk in the door and hit the ground running, so we worry about foundational knowledge more than anything. They're going to have to learn the way we do things here anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gucci Loafers posted:

Good post, I almost completely forgot about AuthN issues but I haven't touched that in years.

Personally, I'm angling for a standard or Senior IAM Engineer position with Entra ID. Not sure you if you are anyone works in that world but I think I'm pretty well versed with the platform but goddamn sometimes senior engineers blow my head off with their knowledge of SAML or OIDC but I don't get how they know these things without extensive experience.

So it's like that Farmers' Insurance commercial. "We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two". You just run into weird poo poo over the years, or crazy edge cases, stuff like that you pick up along your career.

This is going to sound crazy, but I don't actually manage the data inside our AD environment. Our IAM Teams handle that. We just make sure the domain controllers are healthy, maintained and running properly. It kinda sucks because I'm 3 years removed from dealing with Entra ID, and other Modern Auth stuff that I used to do at my last company. I try to stay up to speed on my own, but being pigeonholed supporting a legacy service like Active Directory probably isn't the best career move and I need to start looking at moving to a full time role in a modern IAM or Auth stack. They keep talking about wanting to move away from AD, but haven't come up with a solution for the thousands of apps we support that use LDAP or Kerberos. Any given minute of the day the pool of LDAP dc's are servicing 8,000 + queries a second. I'll retire in 22 years before we ever get rid of AD.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 13, 2024

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Prescription Combs posted:

What IPAM are your orgs using? Mega corp I work for is a mix of Excel and Solarwinds. :lol:

Infoblox. I’ve used bluecat in the past but infoblox seems to be the choice for big rear end corps

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DrBrezo posted:

A ticket came in

and Security want us to refresh every 2016 & 2019 server because Qualys says it's EOL/EOS. Thats nearly everything we have. What the gently caress can I do to bat this away? MS say themselves that the security updates will continue with extended support but that doesnt seem to be enough for these guys

One of the (few) nice things about working at a big rear end organization, is poo poo like this is a non starter. If I fielded a request like this (which I wouldn't generally to begin with), I'd redirect them to project management, program management, and our product owner. Make them jump through all our intake requests, go through planning exercises, costs analysis, add it to the backlog, eventually plan it in 6 to 9 months and so many other layers of bureaucratic BS they tend to just give up. It's like when Mila Kunis' character in Jupiter Ascending tries to claim her title and is bounced around from dept to dept.

It can work the other way around on us though. Disabling RC4 was a multi year project where we had to track down app owners and go through the process to force them to stop using it. We're trying to get TLS 1.0 and 1.1 (internally) disabled by this time next year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

:yotj: Offer came in. 65% $ increase and more hybrid flexibility. Starts just after memorial day.

Hell yeah :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you still like technology, it means you haven't worked in IT long enough.

Dear god I feel this in my bones.