Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cenodoxus posted:

Back when I didn't care about my utility bills I had an O2, an Octane, and a Fuel, and fantasized about owning an Origin rack. They were loud and power-hungry by today's standards, but holy hell indeed. The hardware was gorgeous. :swoon:

Up until 6 months ago we had a production Origin 3000 in our server room. Then one of the I-bricks died and I told the last two grizzled programmers we had they got use an Origin 200 from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

penga86 posted:

Were you guys ever able to get the remote support or inventory parts working? We used that same program but for some reason could never get it to pull info from machines or let us do the screen sharing support. This was almost 6 years ago so it might have gotten better or our install was just done improperly.

I also used that several years ago- pretty good for local LAN, but our WAN admins had a hell of a time working with it.

I had a phone interview with a nice internal hiring lady today for an IT Manager position who was super pleasant when I told her I wanted to see if we were a fit before talking salary.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

NippleFloss posted:

There's no training required to get a clearance.

This is not necessarily true anymore- http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

Depending on the job requirements/category, you may be required to obtain some sort of certification.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

GOOCHY posted:

For all you guys who are going through merger growing pains - bail out, please, for your own sanity. Update your resume and move on. You'll be so much happier, I promise. I went through what you're all describing back in '06 and stuck around for far, far too long. It's not worth the frustration and pains of mixing company cultures. It really isn't. Start fresh.

I'm at a company that was purchased nearly ten years ago and it's still stuck between two ecosystems and ways of thinking, and it's not a great environment to be in. The uncertainty alone sucks. It can be a balancing act- I have a good salary and pretty excellent benefits right now (nearly 5 weeks of PTO), so looking can be difficult, especially if you've been at the same place a while. Still, if you can get out at the beginning, you can save yourself some pain.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell do you guys get let alone find gigs that offer 5-weeks of PTO? Or even get it approved to be able to use?

Started with 3 weeks, added a week at 5 and 10 years. Yes, I've been here forever.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HatfulOfHollow posted:

What do you consider to be a reasonable number of interviews for a position?

I had four interviews for one job, two of which were technical interviews, the second of which was not communicated to me. I made a mistake by not putting my foot down there, but YMMV, depending on your willingness to put up with nonsense. If you feel that the interview process is taking too long, I'd suggest mentioning to the hiring manager to see if they can cut down on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The people talking about eating at their desk remind me of this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo,37912/

Our building lease is up this year and the corporate office wants to either move my server room to the other side of the building or move us to a new location. On one hand, valuable experience. On the other hand, Costco Hot Dog server is starting to look like a good career choice.