Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

psydude posted:

I'm thinking longer term I'd like to eventually move into the strategic planning/decisionmaking side of things (CIO or VP level type stuff). Working in a technical role is really fun, but there's obviously a certain level of fine skills maintenance (especially learning the ins and outs of new technologies) that I'm sure would get difficult to balance with a family.

I'll be 40 before too much longer and I have really no desire to go into CIO or VP level stuff. I think I will be alright, but it still feels weird to put an artificial cap on things because I don't want to have to dress far better and spend 7/8 working hours in meetings with other execs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

three posted:

People live in Missouri?

t:cheers:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jaegerx posted:

It's obvious, you roll like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Pu_JuPILw

Dilbert as gently caress style.

It's pretty shameful how much better Baldwin did that scene. Affleck doesn't have the voice for it. Close your eyes and he sounds 14.

http://vimeo.com/64121060

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Maneki Neko posted:

https://isleaked.com/en.php seems to have a password that was never my password for my gmail account :confused:

Is there a way to show the passwords they're talking about? This just gives me a straight count...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BigPaddy posted:

We have a Box corporate account and the security guy pitches a fit about it whenever possible.

Wait, what's their beef with Box?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

psydude posted:

I'm required to put my cell phone in my email despite not being reimbursed, so I'm writing off 100% of it on taxes because.

"I don't have a cell phone."

"This? No, this isn't mine. I'm carrying it for a friend."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BigPaddy posted:

The guy is a bit paranoid and is convinced that the C level guys will upload stuff that should never leave our own machines like say drafts of annual profit reports which did end up on Box in an open to all employees folder.

This sounds a lot more like a training issue with the C-levels and their inability to maintain data security more than an issue with Box, it would exist with any file sharing service.

Box does a pretty good job with their at-rest encryption of what you upload. The procedure to actually decrypt your files is well documented and structured. If your stuff gets out, it's because you did something wrong or took an explicit action that allowed it to happen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

NippleFloss posted:

Security conscious companies generally have a problem with any cloud based file sharing service, not just Box. They want to keep company data on company owned equipment and limiting the ability to automatically push that data out to a cloud sharing service is one easy restriction that helps meet that goal. Internally hosted Box/Dropbox alternatives are gaining popularity for that reason.

I just don't think that's reasonable. First, what would an internally hosted platform even look like? loving Sharepoint? No thank you. Can you reach feature parity with something like Box without spending a shitload on internal development? (No.) And what about the ongoing management and administration costs? You're going to need people to run this.
And bringing a service inside doesn't magically mitigate all sources of risk, it just internalizes them, and can your internal IT staff claim that they are as security conscious and capable as a company whose entire business model is based around exactly that? (Except Dropbox, because haha, Dropbox)

Tab8715 posted:

That's always one thing I've been curious about, if you're storing data on a cloud service how would you really know that nobody has ever peeked at what you have?

Because they have processes and procedures in place that are separately audited by third parties. How do you know no one has peeked at it while it's stored on your company's servers? At least with most external hosts, you know it's always encrypted when it's sitting there, and that there are a lot more hoops to jump through to get to the raw data, since no one there should ever be accessing it in that form. Typically, keys to actually decrypt data are stored in an entirely separate and secure area that is accessible only by literally one hand's worth or less of highly trusted individuals, usually requiring more than one of them to access anything.

Really, I've never seen an argument against externalizing some amount of file storage that wasn't firmly rooted in a completely misguided assumption that "internal ALWAYS means more secure!"

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 5, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think so, I'm pretty sure I've locked myself out doing this incorrectly.

Me too. It would be a pretty giant security hole if it didn't, since you could then just sit and dictionary or brute force it all day.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jaegerx posted:

I still stand by encrypting your data before you upload it.

I think this is grossly over-paranoid, but hey, that's pretty subjective.

I think that if P&G and GE are willing to sign on for tens of thousands of licenses for a product, their security procedures are probably fine.
Additionally, if you're concerned, you can have a clause in your contract that allows for uncapped damages should you actually suffer from any sort of data breach. Not something useful for an individual, but for a business, that should pretty much soothe most objections about "what happens if..."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

adorai posted:

Just because a big boy is doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea. See the below version of your quote (from 2008):
In the past two months, there have been two large cloud storage breaches: Dropbox and iCloud. Dropbox was always shady, but to be honest iCloud was very trusted.
I think they probably are in general, but am not going to risk my career on it. Every cloud based service we have increases the surface area for attack against my company.

My stance on cloud based services and that's really all I need in order to tell my end users no.

Well, big boys are doing it, and there's an audit trail and verified compliance with various industry standard targets.

iCloud has never been billed as "super secure file storage" and I don't know anyone who seriously thinks Dropbox is, even if you give them credit for the huge strides they've taken.

My career is not at risk because I can demonstrate that good decisions were made and the proper research was performed. And legal will ensure that we're covered in case of a breach, so there's that.

I guess that's the important thing, your execs aren't into it, and that's fine.

NippleFloss posted:

Cloud services were blocked at the last DOD site where I worked.

The DOD is a whole different level. A very, very small sliver of business need or use that level of crazy paranoid data security.

adorai posted:

Beyond that, it's easier to just check "No" next to "Do you store confidential data in the cloud?" when your examiners come on-site. Which is the same reason we don't have wifi connected to our production network.

I assure you, auditors do not care as long as the service you're using is audited properly to at least the same level of as your own company. I mean if your cloud storage provider isn't PCI compliant and you have to be to do business, well then there's an issue. Otherwise, it's absolutely not a problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

I knew a few of you have but I'd like to get a little more detailed. How many of you have used Resume2Interviews? Is it worth ~$300?

I used them, got the first job I interviewed for. I am terrible at resumes, so I basically just let them drive it.

I don't send cover letters.

Spend the extra scratch for the fast turnaround. It's all a negligible amount of money against what you're hoping to earn.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gyshall posted:

"gently caress the job, gently caress this gay earth" - me on the eve of payday

"scroogemcduckjumpingintoapileofmoney.jpg" - me on payday

"The pain goes away on payday." -Larry Fine

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
My company was VERY PROUD of increasing their standard merit raise from 2% to 3% this year.

We are rated from 1-5 by our managers, 5 being highest. It's pretty bell-curved as far as distribution, so 5's are very rare. Your percent raise = your rating. So even as a 5, which I would bet is less than 5% of the company, you get 5%.

I was a 4. So I got 4%, except they somehow thing that prorating raises for people who have been present less than a year is acceptable, which is incorrect. So I was here a little more than half a year at year's end, had my raise and bonus both chopped in half.

It's kind of ridiculous.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I like my job. I like this company, mostly. I like the people I work with, for, and who work for me.

Got a random Linkedin recruiter e-mail yesterday looking for someone to do a job for ~2x what I currently make. I think that there's no way I can possibly apply for this, I won't be qualified. So I scroll down and basically read a description of what I do every day.

Dammit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I am in kind of a weird spot. The real question is:

How do I get into higher level IT management? My technical ability is fine, but I don't really have any deep specializations. And I am not qualified today to CIO any decent sized company. What comes in between?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenNight posted:

Project management? There are certs for that too.

Yeah, except I kind if hate project management. I can do it if that's what's needed, but ugh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dark Helmut posted:

I was saying this BEFORE Capital One laid off ~400 IT managers/sr managers/directors in my town last week, but I'm saying it even more so now: if you enjoy working with the tech hands-on, don't stray too far from that if you can help it. That middle management layer always seems to be the first cut.

What do you do now? How many direct reports do you have and in what size company? Or are you still hands-on and looking for your first management position?

I run part of an IT department now for a ~700 person company and have 4 direct reports.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you hate project management, why are you looking to move into management?

Well, I see proper and official "project management" as a job that basically just involves meetings and calling people and doing reports, but not having any actual authority. That's what I would say most of the people who work for us in PM role do, their only leverage comes from their reports going up to someone important who will then come down and as hard questions.
I am perfectly fine managing projects from a position of direct responsibility.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Bought a new company. Guy from the bought company joins my team, but works at a site where I have no one else. Doing a fairly good sized migration of email from their stuff to our stuff, send one of my guys up there to assist for two days for prep. Dude leaves early each day.
I am not sure there's every a justification for knocking off early when I send a guy up there to assist you catching up.
Not impressed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

Back in the '90s I worked for a place called "Computer City" for about a week. Can't get much more '90s than that name. Oh, it wasn't a regular Computer City: it was a SUPERCENTER!

Due to my familiarity with computers and retail experience they unleashed me immediately but I quickly got in trouble for not selling enough extended warranties. My supervisor was a dour guy named Klaus whose sole contribution to my development as an employee was to bark "TAKE YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS" when he saw me patrolling the aisles.

I saw him years later stuck behind the upgrade counter at a CompUSA, not long before they started closing their stores.

gently caress you, Klaus.

EDIT: The only way it could've been more '90s is if I'd worked for Tandy's other retail tech disaster, Incredible Universe.

Whoa. Was it the one in Overland Park? I worked there. Crazy easy work doing upgrades and warranty repair. Never worked the sales floor. Then they got bought by CompUSSR and we were put under the management of a guy whose only experience was managing Taco Bells. I didn't last a month, that place definitely felt like the money laundering front it was purported to be.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, I really don't think I want to work for a company that uses those loving stupid personality surveys.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vulture Culture posted:

With all the attention that's been paid to the autism spectrum lately, I can't believe these things haven't fallen under more ADA scrutiny.

Yeah, I am not autistic, but definitely.

While the shallow logic of the whole thing makes sense if you don't think too hard, it's really a terrible way to hire people and screen candidates.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

What scrutiny? That employers aren't hiring those that are Autistic?

Stuart Ishimaru, Acting Chairman of the EEOC posted:

We believe the anecdotal experience of many of our members and those of us on the autism spectrum show that these tests do tend to screen out adults on the autism spectrum. Particularly, because they’re being applied in contexts that do not necessarily have those particular skill sets within the essential functions of that job. It’s one thing if these tests are being applied in the context of sales force determination. It’s another thing to be applied in an engineering context or in a data entry job or in another type of job. So we know that these are relatively widespread and we do know that they tend to, because they are generally focused on the nature of the employee’s social interaction, the nature of the employee’s private life, the nature of the prospective employee, to screen out many individuals on the autism spectrum and with other social communication disabilities or with other invisible disabilities.

http://autisticadvocacy.org/2009/12/testimony-on-adaaa-proposed-regulations/

I just object to it more as a lovely example of using a "process" to make a decision instead of a person. Too much of business is done by bullshit abdication to process and avoidance of responsibility. The lowest example being, "Well, that's just our policy."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

psydude posted:

I agree that way too much attention is paid to processes over results, but it's wrong to think that engineering doesn't require the same level of interpersonal reaction that sales does, as he states in your quote. Actually, I'd argue that it requires more.

Yeah I agree, but there are infinite other variables that define the requirements for a particular role. Using this sort of test to screen candidates is a Bad Way of doing that. If someone's a socially stunted goon, it will come through clearly in an interview.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vulture Culture posted:

At my last job, we ostensibly had an on-call rotation, but I took it from my team 100% of the time because I think I only got paged twice in two years with anything important.

Yeah, I do this. In 18 months, I have received about 3 after hours calls. One was literally mid-move as I was carrying a mattress upstairs, that sucked, but otherwise it's been pretty easy and it's just not worth bothering with an official rotation. Yet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Colonial Air Force posted:

I got a new NAS to replace the USB-only one my predecessor set up as our primary file share. Started a robocopy yesterday morning, I figured it'd finish overnight.

I forgot about the marketing department.

loving Marketing department. FFS, throw some of this crap AWAY, you don't need every e-mail you've ever been involved in for the past 10 years. Worst data hoarders by far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp. I think today is the day. Today I am going to ask for:

1> A promotion to work for the VP right next door instead of my manager who's across the country and I talk to maybe 4 times a month. He's a great dude, but proximity means I basically work for the VP anyway.
2> A title upgrade that will basically change the word Supervisor to Manager.
3> A five figure raise of about 25%.

My number of reports has increased by two thirds, my responsibilities have grown substantially beyond the initial scope of this job, and I have it on good authority I will still be lowest paid person working for this VP. I have the full support and endorsement from my current boss for all of this.

We'll see how it goes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

supersteve posted:

Are any goons a fan of the newer Lenovo Thinkpads (T line specifically) and can comment on their build quality/longevity?

My workplace is Windows (hyper-V especially) heavy but most of what I do is from remote management servers. I'll still have my desktop in the office but want something for home/travel.

We pass out Lenovos at work. I had a T550. I did not like it. Chintzy plastic construction, a garbage touchpad, heavy, overpriced, etc. F- Would Not Buy Again.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell would you recommend?

Right now I am leaning heavily toward switching to HP Elitebook 1020/1040s. Lighter, faster, cheaper, and better designed than their Lenovo counterparts we've been using. I don't think their dock is as nice, it requires you to slide the switch over to engage, but it costs a lot less. I'll probably wait for WiGig models to become a thing.

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Probably having an interview in the next week or two. Kinda stumped, what's the current answer for the WHY ARE YOU LOOKING TO LEAVE question if the actual answer is, "I am way under the pay/responsibility curve and they boned me on raise/bonus even though my review was stellar."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

Never talk negatively about your previous employer. Just say something generic.

Inspector_666 posted:

"The advancement opportunities are limited at my current position."

I get that, not a total doof. Is the "advancement opportunities" part a complete enough answer to satisfy most interviewers?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK. Thanks, people. I was clearly overthinking it. It's not an FBI interrogation.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DigitalMocking posted:

Say exactly that, but in a professional way.

"There is no clear path for upward growth in my current position and my compensation changes haven't been in line with my stellar review(s)"

Should I wait for a few seconds of awkward pause after that before I add, "I'm telling you. loving stellar." And then awkward unbroken eye contact.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, wait, wait. THIRTY ONE THOUSAND WAS THE ENTIRE SALARY?!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ratbert90 posted:

In loving SoCal.

Hahaha, holy poo poo. Dude, go down to your local <FAST FOOD CHAIN> and look at what they pay for entry level workers with zero experience. Then weep. GTFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldmh9BPRIPM

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know, I enjoy the technical part of my job, but getting into management seems like a much faster/more reliable way to get on the MORE $$$ train.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Agreed. Although I've had multiple consultants and recruiters tell me that extra management types are usually the first to get laid off in tough times. I dont see whats wrong with just chasing the money in IT. I like IT and I enjoy it as a career but it's not my passion in life. That's why I'm grasping at straws here trying to figure out my next career move. I want to make as much as I can so I can retire early and do whats important to me.

SAN management is a huge gap for me as well. You can lab a lot of things, but you cant lab a SAN. Without getting in someplace that will give you a chance to learn about them you're stuck with just learning what you can out of books and videos. EMC does have a certification train but I can't say how good or bad those are.

Yeah, if you want to be in management and can actually communicate somewhat clearly and don't lock up and start with the flopsweat around HIGH POWERED HURF DURF EXECUTIVES, you're in pretty good shape.
I think the real secret sauce though is to have a really broad but not necessarily deep knowledge of drat near everything. That way the technical people working for/near you have some respect that you know what they do all day and the executives trust that you're not likely to get snowed our too far outside of your depth.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Opinions on distributing wifi keys? I am thinking of just sticking it up on the internal Sharepoint, but some people get anxious about that. I am not sure how/why, given that the key can be extracted from any machine that already has it. I can't distribute the actual key via GPO, but am I missing anything obvious?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

H110Hawk posted:

Why can't you distribute it via GPO? And how do they get to sharepoint without wifi?

Because you can't put a WPA2 key into a GPO, as far as I can tell.

Everyone's got laptops and docks and spend most of their time on wired. I figure we'll still have to do a lot of them manually, since a lot of people won't ever bother to go in and update the key until its too late, hence the desire for some kind of automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

Have you done, like, any research

Yes, dick, but perhaps I was not specific enough? You cannot specify the key via the WIRELESS SETTINGS option in a GPO. You can do some scripted netsh fuckery if you like, is that what you're referring to? Just trying to make sure there's no actual baked-in way to do this before I have to do something more creative like that.

H110Hawk posted:

I would just paste it on the wall and rarely rotate it. It really doesn't matter. Consider switching to 802.1x / WPA2 Enterprise. Windows NPS service makes it fairly painless if your wifi system supports it.

This is kind of where I am at on it. I don't see this being an actual security risk, just kind of unimpressive. We're working on some stuff with our APs that support more direct authentication, but it's a ways out.