Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

CloFan posted:

I'm being put in charge of three things soon-- Verismic (power management software), Symantec Endpoint AV Server, and the university Firewall. I don't know a single thing about our firewall setup, but has anyone here used Verismic or SAV? Any thoughts/comments?

SAV is easy if its truly just the AV component and not NTP or Intrusion Prevention. Its also easy if you don't have any concerns about WAN traversal of updates/bandwidth constraints.

NTP/Intrusion Prevention can gently caress up a lot of things, especially if someone has the "wisdom" to install those components on a DC or DNS server. Controlling updates is painful since you can't actually schedule anything out without using a dedicated LUA server/workstation. For some reason you don't get those options if you run updates directly out of the SEPM server.

TLDR: AV is easy, other components aren't, updates can be a bitch if bandwidth is a concern. Logging is horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It definitely varies place to place. The more corporate, the more there is a need for a suit. Even if its a "cooler" or more laid back place the perception of suit-need can vary from person to person.

Recently I interviewed for a software company about 40 minutes away from where I live. I walked through their building coming straight from my own job, so wearing nice Polo w/ appropriate shoes, khakis, belt, etc. Dudes were lounging around in sandals, shorts, and flying R/C helicopters. No one cared about me not wearing a suit...except 1 person out of the 7 people who individually interviewed me. It wasn't a deal breaker and I feel like I'll hear positive news soon, but this guy was not dressed casual like the others and played it strictly professional. He clearly had a problem.

Christ that day was brutal...3.5 hours of interviewing and being grilled for technical knowledge.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

psydude posted:

God I hate pedantic poo poo in technical interviews, especially when it's asking about some obscure IOS command.

The interview I was on earlier this week had a bunch of basic MS applications attached to the NoRuns registry key. Figuring out that "problem" was part of the technical assessment.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I'm looking to get an inventory/asset management system in place where I work. At the moment, if someone leaves/gets fired/whatever, I have no loving clue what they have. My only resources are what the position they held would generally have, asking their manager, and for phones praying someone actually updated the name on the line on our carrier's website.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking on best practices and software to help get this done?

SCCM can do most of this for you. It will track Primary Users for devices when configured to do so and will pull detailed inventory information, including Asset Information tagged in UEFI/BIOS.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Zaepho posted:

SCCM is great management data but really isn't Asset data. I would look at System Center Service Manager with either Provance or Cireson's ITAM plugins. It's not cheap but Provance has been doing ITAM for decades and they have put together a really excellent product. Cireson is OK and lower cost which has put some pressure on Provance to lower prices and bundle a package with some other good 3rd party pieces for SCSM.

I know there are other ITAM systems out there but with the System Center consulting I do, this is what I'm familiar with.

It requires some work, but since SCCM acts on SQL queries you can transform the data in any way you see fit.

We exposed our VOIP VLAN and take inventory of phone MAC Addresses, IPs, and model data. Admittedly SCCM isn't "geared" towards asset management (it's really a software management platform at its core) but it can be engineered for nearly any purpose. If you're looking to integrate billing, invoice, or financial data definitely look elsewhere.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Zaepho posted:

Where this doesn't work is catching that machine that never hit the network because it walked off the loading dock. or dealing with more complex assignment information relating to organizational structure or financial cost centers, etc.

The SCCM data is not asset data because asset data is what SHOULD be. SCCM is perfect for reconciling asset data because it gives us a view of what really is happening. SCCM is also pretty terrible with machines that go into storage or haven't yet been imaged, etc. Not to mention things that aren't on a network that may need to be inventoried (Monitors, Docks, etc).

The real key is the difference between what actually IS (SCCM) and what Should Be (ITAM).

Edit: OH, and both of the mentioned products link the SCCM data to the Asset data within SCSM so that you can more easily reconcile things.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned invoice, billing, etc.

I'll have to look into SCSM. We use ITSM Service Management for Asset Management and I loathe every aspect of the service.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sounds like a job for Powershell and the network adapter cmdlets available in the latest version.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Methanar posted:

I might still want to do this. Can you explain a bit?

So I'd need to push a gpo to enable remote powershell access to all the clients first. Just kidding this wouldn't work because clients don't recieve gp updates without proper dns.

For the actual script would it be something along the lines of this? I know basically nothing about powershell. How could I populate workstations.txt and only workstations running windows 7 without dealing with wmi stuff because I don't know how to use that.

Considered both of these. I don't have a datacenter key unfortunately. Once I panicked and realized what I had done I had already manually gone around and changed as many DNS settings as I could to point to new DC before thinking I could just add another vnic to my new DC and assigning it the IP of the old DNS after I was half way done and was worried I'd brick everything further.

Actually now that I'm looking at it the Powershell NetAdapter commands are 2012 R2/Win 8.1 only, so they wouldn't work with an Invoke-Command since they don't exist on Windows 7. I could've sworn they had a RemoteComputer attribute, but apparently my memory is failing me.

Adding an IP is the better idea anyway, but once you've got things fixed definitely rip out the hardcoded DNS nonsense. That poo poo is bananas.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 26, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Yeah, it's a nice thing to see.

A good thing to always remember is that there are often multiple solutions to a problem. The real skill is identifying the best one.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

You can always spot a guy way too used to working in a Windows shop with Active Directory when they don't understand why the new Linux virtual appliance isn't pingable by hostname.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

WDS/MDT is the way to go with that many workstations. You can throw the image together in an afternoon; gathering up all the necessary drivers will be the part that takes a little while depending on your machine spread.

Each of the System Center components is a beast unto itself, especially SCCM and SCOM. Don't try and do things all at once, like others have mentioned. In the Small Shop thread someone mentioned PDQ Deploy and Inventory to me, so if you only have 40 to 96 machines I'd go that route rather than System Center. They're quite good.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Chiming in on this SCCM is super powerful but probably the most "Microsoft" management tool I've ever used as in it's obtuse as gently caress and harder to use than any 3rd party solution that does similar tasks.

I'm at the point where I think Microsoft keeps tools like this entirely to sell certs and classes because uuuunnnggghhh learning it from scratch is just awful.

The sheer amount of undocumented information and details on deployment behavior is mind boggling. You'll get much more how-to knowledge out of blogs and forums than you ever will from the SCCM MCSE course.

On a sidenote, if anyone has a good online resource detailing Orchestrator that would be great. SCCM may be bullshit in its own special snowflake way but at least it gave SOME indication of how to get the ball rolling.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 11, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Withholding/not-withholding your salary is a business tool which is applicable depending on the circumstance. If you want the job then I suggest you throw your perceived scruples out the window.

I mean, be sensible about it. Would I give my salary to a headhunter? Absolutely not, for reasons that have already been mentioned. Would I give it to a direct hire employer? Depends on the circumstances and my economic position at the time. This idea of having a hard-and-fast rule is kind of silly.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

That sounds pretty painful, especially if there's something in GP you want to rollout on the quick.

Is there a reason for "no domain?" Are they saving on licensing?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm OK with powershell but thats about it. I dont even know where to start with API's or cloud native anything. As far as automating I do have a fair bit of experience with SCCM and deployments and patching. Still it's hard to not get overwhelmed. There is so much to know that I never will and you cant be an expert in everything.

You can be paid very well as the SCCM guy, especially if you throw in WDS/MDT image management, etc.

Throw in application management and package building and that's a job in and of itself. SCCM also ties into Azure in 2012 R2+ so you can get your feet wet that way too.

With your current skill set it would be pretty simple to get your MCSE and go from there.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

The cloud always ignores the "limited available WAN" scenario, which is far more pervasive than you think. Not every business can fund the pipe it takes to house all of their backend on the cloud, especially ones that have many segregated locations.

That's why Cisco UCS/ISR is taking off like wildfire and is (allegedly) a best seller; they're an on-prem unit that combines both the server and router into a single box.

Some stuff, like Fax, has no real excuse to exist physically at a location. Get that poo poo in the cloud ASAP. Other stuff is obviously going to be much more painful, especially for medium sized businesses that have to work with lovely vendors and support applications that don't work well outside of the local LAN. It sounds ridiculous, but that's still a problem in 2015. Especially in the financial sector.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Any kind of LoB apps are generally going to be very badly written and not work well outside any server that looks exactly like the dev team's local workstation. I worked with a ton of bioinformatics apps at my last job that were entirely unsupported on any non-Ubuntu Linux distro.

I always wonder how well it would work if a single vendor just decided "gently caress it, we're going to develop this Application and we're going to do it right. Hire a few dudes from Apple and get them on the UI piece. Get a couple of those IT geeks to figure out the most efficient coding standard to write this in."

Just set out to obliterate the competition with a totally superior product. Like, imagine if FiServ decided to make the ultimate bank teller software and just blow out Harland, etc.

Instead it's a war of inches where every product that competes within a given sphere is the same poo poo with a different coat of paint and minor idiosyncrasies. I mean I'd settle for these companies having a QA department larger than two people.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

i'm oversimplifying of course, but I'm mostly referring to the efficiency of the software itself moreso than the UI. You're absolutely right in that my experience is going to be different from a teller that knows the terminal interface inside out, but the way the software behaves and operates (update rollouts, failure behaviors, data synchronization, etc.) are often baffling.

Most banking software I've seen seems to understand cold exactly how a user is intended to operate within it and intentionally makes it as painful as possible to do so. I've seen things like "hitting tab while in a blank field breaks the form and you have to relaunch the application" type of stuff that I don't understand how it makes it into the wild. And it isn't unique to a single vendor.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that at least half of everyone you meet has a distinct goal of doing as minimal work as possible. The concept of "a job well done" is dying more and more each day.

Maybe that's just my cynicism talking based on who I often have to work with, though.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've talked a lot about troubleshooting fundamentals, this is the easiest step to skip and it's incredibly important.

This can't be said enough.

Years ago my A+ certification course instructor had lots of chuckles at the expense of the students when they couldn't figure out that he'd wrapped the ends of the power plug in electrical tape.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

adorai posted:

I have 3254 unread messages in my inbox.

I have 17405. Step it up.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't be an idiot, it's very difficult to get a screenshot off my work computer due to security measures.

Pretty sure it was a joke, dude.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

If your company or organization has services that require 24/7 availability then they will certainly have an on-call.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

There's always Lotus Notes. :)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It's not that any one type of exposure is bad, it's that anything that's left open will always have the chance of being exploited sometime down the road, hence the best practice of only leaving open or available what you have to.

That's really all there is to it. Unless there is a good reason to have something like that public facing, disable it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

abigserve posted:

Regardless I think client VPN's will eventually be replaced by VDI solutions except for very niche things.

That's going to be a long while considering the cost of desktop storage versus SAN storage. VDI works well for non-persistent instances and terribly for everything else unless you want to spend a fortune.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone here have any experience with mobile device management?

We're looking at MaaS 360 and AirWatch. Do any of you have any opinions or suggestions?

We use MaaS 360 and it works pretty well for BYOD. The setup can be painful, though.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

unless you were applying for a sales position i'd laugh you right out of the room with this horseshit

then again i wouldn't ask this question, i would attempt to find your deepest, most personal insecurity and bring it up

You could always ask the question I was asked when I interviewed for a Mac Genius position almost a decade ago.

"If you were tasked with designing the world's most advanced toilet, what would you focus on?"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CEO: more features, some not yet invented, at a lower cost than any competitors even if it means cutting positions from marketing because this thing will market itself!

"Make it so I can poo poo in the toilet without having to sit on it or take the time to actually use it. What? No, it can't be mobile, that's stupid. Don't tell me it's impossible, I'm sure those boys at Apple could figure it out! Put on your thinking caps and get it done, we're already selling the concept."

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone or have you ever seen Yammer used in real life?

We have it at our company. No one gives a poo poo about it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

go3 posted:

NESSUS SCAN SAY FIX

Just you wait, that SNMP read string set to public on an HP DeskJet CAN and WILL lead to your doom!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

You'd never catch me dismissing an FTP finding. SNMP Read, though...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

go3 posted:

You say false positives, I call it 'dynamically generated training content'!

It's always a great feeling when you have to login to some ancient HP laserjet and can only interact with it using IE 6 because of some incredibly dated Java API it uses.

Also you people are nuts, Not Your Father's RB flies off the shelves in the Maryland area too. Tastes great.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 6, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Uh our fax server is virtualized. We use xmedius. Works great.

Sagemcomm works well enough, but it's very much an antique platform that new feature sets get bolted onto.

Internally xMedius fully supports Active Directory/LDAP, but not for authenticating to xMedius from an administrative capacity. This means that you have the old standby of Administrator / Password whenever you need to make a configuration change. Makes no sense whatsoever and makes it that much more painful to segregate responsibilities.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Unless you are doing a ton of faxes, just use a cloud faxing service and save yourself the headache.

I wish. Our management is incredibly resistant to moving towards the cloud. XMedius even has a cloud offering, but no. We need our fax server to be on-prem.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If you're using a fax line for super secret legal documents, which is like the only legitimate reason I can think of for keeping a fax line, then I can see not wanting to move to a cloud solution.

Negative, we just "want control of the situation."

Faxing is hardly a secure form of communication anyway.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

I understand that, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to present that on a resume. Hence my original question asking about a resume service that hasn't, by many accounts, gone to poo poo.

It's pretty easy to lie about your title and get away with it, in any case.

Most companies understand that position/title are mostly bullshit anyway, it's what you do and what technologies/experience your portfolio brings to bear that they care about. Well, once you get past the retards in HR.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Reading these last couple pages about crazy network setups where 802.1x and NPS aren't being leveraged makes me really sad.

Don't get me wrong, 802.1x is a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you do PXE deployments, but that's why you have an NPS configuration that drops failed authentications to an incredibly limited VLAN. poo poo has changed.

Sickening posted:

If a POWER USER doesn't know about reservation in DHCP he/she should be drawn and quartered.

Fixed that for you. DHCP is ubiquitous, and if you're a power user of any kind that maintains a home network you should at least have a passing familiarity with it. I'm trying to imagine a world where a Junior SysAdmin somehow doesn't know about DHCP reservations and my brain hurts.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Look it worked in the 90's.

I originally typed "it isn't the 90s anymore" in the post you quoted but deleted it as I didn't want to come off as too snarky. :shrug: