Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
This is probably better answered here than in the Windows thread, but tell me if I'm wrong about that.

As a remote user using Win7 Pro connects to our VPN (PPTP), and needs to access stuff on the domain, with his credentials. How does this remote user change his domain password from his non-domain Win7 PC? I can't seem to find a straight answer, so I'm thinking I'll have him RDP into something that belongs to the domain, and there change the user's domain password... but that seems cumbersome to change a user password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

lampey posted:

Do you have exchange? They can change passwords in owa.

We do, but this user doesn't have a mailbox :(

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Working with doctors :rolleyes:
I've got to find an ISP in a brand new neighborhood in FL (I'm in NV!), which is so new that neither FiOS or Comcast are available, and only options left are AT&T or HughesNet (Satellite).
- HughesNet is $120 for 15/2
- U-Verse is $80 for 18/? (and bundles in TV, too)
Since those are severely different, I think the easiest way to explain it to a Dr is to put it in dollars. I figured that a mbps/$ ratio explanation would paint the picture, so considering just the downstream speeds:
- HughesNet is $8 mbps/$
- U-Verse is $4.44 mbps/$

I did a bit of googling around to see if there's some sort of nation-wide comparison of ISPs by this mbps/$ ratio, but I couldn't find any. Is there one? I bet it'd be interesting to look at.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

adorai posted:

Think about this: we have one application written by a company that closed shop in the 90s. It uses a proprietary database of some kind, and was originally installed on NT4.0. The data has to remain accessible until 2027. We have three options: run the NT4.0 machine as a VM until then, print every record and rescan them into our current document imaging system, or find a vendor to perform an expensive data conversion. The choice is easy, we just firewall the machine off with a windows 7 VM and RDP into the windows 7 machine. It works well, is perfectly secure, and satisfies our regulators.

Are you still using the application, or just using it for historical purposes/reference? I think that makes a big difference...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

adorai posted:

Historical data. However, read the post I quoted. "To have ... information on a legacy O/S"

No worries, I wasn't fishing for a fight :) I work in HealthIT and we do have a few older systems that we have floating around because they're used for reference. If they were used to conduct business, I would flat out refuse to keep them alive.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Long shot time:
Anyone familiar with Symantec's Veritas Cluster? aka VCS?
Trying to figure out how to set all outbound traffic to use the virtual IP of the cluster as the "source" IP, instead of each host sending through their own... and failing :(

This link appears that would help if Symantec's KB wasn't down http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO58872 , and google's cached version is a failing with CSS... but apparently the trick involves some "ip route" commands, but I don't want to just experiment without really understanding. My servers are both Win 2008 R2, if that makes a difference.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Dark Helmut posted:

Combofix, that's the one I couldn't remember. The one I was scared to use on people's PCs at first til I realized it was the poo poo... Thanks!

Some dudes on Reddit have been putting together a little utility, I haven't tried it yet myself though: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2eecl7/tron_v300_20140823_auto_update_check_metro_debloat/

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

meanieface posted:

Edited to add content:
What do you goons do to stay in shape while you're sitting all day? Smash the gym before work? Get up and walk every so often? I'm exhausted when I get home now so my after work plan isn't working. I'd like some advice.

For the last couple of months, on Tuesdays and Fridays, I've been playing pick-up indoor soccer during the lunch hour (usually more like 90 minutes total). It's been pretty awesome, and I even got invited into a team to play the Tue night league from contacts made :c00l:
If I bring lunch from home, I still want to get out of the office every day, so I go for a walk for at least 15 minutes, most times around 50 minutes. I listen to podcasts, music, or just walk for walking's sake. I've explored each direction from the office this way, one bit at at time... was something I even looked forward to sometimes!

Thanks Ants posted:

A bike workstation where you increased the bandwidth available to your machine the more you pedalled. Turning work into a game of Prop Cycle.

http://www.ergoquest.com/treadmill-desks.html

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

With the response I received to my request, you would have thought I asked for keys to the kingdom. I was essentially blown off, the vibe I got was that it was way outside of my scope.

Who did you make the request to? What does your manager/supervisor say about your request, and the response received?

Also: Is your hospital part of a bigger network of systems? If so, that's just politics and the nature of the beast. You'll learn what battles to fight, and this is not one of them :(

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

More realistic: ask him to send you an email with such praise, save it in a folder with all your other "atta boy" messages you get as you deliver awesome service. Print them all out for your review time, and use them as leverage then.

On the flip-side, I have to write my junior admin today for still not getting it. I'm starting the paper trail because it's looking like it's just not gonna work out on the long run :smith:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

skipdogg posted:

You've mentioned 'fastest resolution' several times. People in general are very patient as long as they know whats going on. For example imagine you're at a busy restaurant eating dinner. Generally it takes 15 to 18 minutes to cook and serve an entree. It's now been 40 minutes since you've placed your order and you still don't have your food. You're probably a little pissed off right now... no one has said anything, no one has kept you in the loop, and 5 minutes later your food finally arrives. 45 minutes after ordering, and 25 minutes after you would have expected the food to arrive. You complain to your waiter, and they apologize after the fact and offer you free desert.

Now imagine that at the 20 minute mark, when you're expecting your food to be delivered your waiter comes up and says "I'm really sorry but the kitchen is short staffed tonight and we're super busy, you're food is not ready yet but I'm going to go see how much longer it's going to be".... then the server comes back 5 minutes later and says "I talked to the chef and he says its going to be another 10 to 15 minutes on your entrees.... I'm really sorry about this I'd like to offer you a free desert after your meal to make it up to you".

At this point you know whats going on, you feel kept in the loop... you're not really pissed off that your food is late. You can understand kitchens get short staffed. Your experience in this scenario while not perfect is definitely less lovely than 45 minutes of no information and no contact.

This is a great analogy. I think I'll borrow it. Thanks!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Pretty much.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

My boss wants me to look into replacing our desktop virus protection, from TrendMicro OfficeScan to "PC Matic". I'd never heard of it before, so I did my research: they're sponsors of some shows on Fox... which is pretty much his news source.
I fear of the can of worms this will open.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Today, a vendor asked me to test logging into their site and the site wouldn't even load. After a little troubleshooting, I realized that the GPO we rolled out to address POODLE a few weeks ago was blocking the site, because the site only supports SSL3.

I reported back to the vendor the explanation on why I couldn't test, and raised questions on why they were behind the curve on this, specially when they are holding sensitive medical information. I said "I'll be happy to test once your server supports TLS 1.0 or greater". They typically respond within an hour, and it's been 3 hours without a response :ohdear:

I'm far from godly when it comes to security, but I saw coverage on this pretty much everywhere without even trying. I'm not sure whether to accept that they have neglected this until now. Blargh :argh:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

You can't say that without posting a link!

As for me, pretty tired but also pretty stoked: cut-over to different RIS (Radiology specific EMR) has gone incredibly well, and while I worked all weekend, tomorrow is going to be full of high-fives: the few people that worked yesterday and today raved about how much better this system is, and how well prepared they were for the changes.
It's been a huge project, taking on lots of risk and 7 figure contracts, so it's great to not only deliver, but to knock it the gently caress out of the park. :toot:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm lining up everything I need to lay off our junior sys-admin on Monday, first thing :smith:
Was told 10 days ago, I opted to do it after Thanksgiving. Guy is not going to see it coming, and while I don't expect him to go apeshit, he's got all the keys to the kingdom... as such, Monday will involve updating passwords everywhere.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

psydude posted:

e: Datacenter IT is so loving different from normal IT that you really have to work in one or be intimately involved in one to understand what the hell is going on.

Yeah, I'm pretty vanilla IT, and the little I know about how big datacenters function -conceptually alone- makes me go :aaa:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Today's pretty quiet at work, so I've got time to tackle things I've been wanting to do for a while. First on the list: report on who's got what kind of access to everything on the file server, which I imagine is way more open than it should be. Any suggestions on how to do this so that the output is readable by non-IT folk? I basically want to go to the manager of each department so they can review without loosing their minds in the process.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Doctors, amirite? :rolleyes:
This guy was the biggest manchild about a problem, would refuse to give any more examples, would yell "I've already shown you the problem, it's been a month, just fix itttttt".

It was a bitch, but issue was fixed after a week of digging through the haystack. No word from the doctor. I ask if he's noticed an improvement... he replies via email with "fixed. thx"

I guess I won't expect anything positive from him... the future owner as the current one is set to retire in a year or two. I think I'll start updating my resume.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ya'll are just as jaded as I am. :cheers:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

You can also subscribe to all sorts of newsletters, but that opens the game up for all sorts of opt-out spam from vendors... which is not necessarily bad, but you've got to be able to tell from news vs cleverly disguised ads. For example, theitbrief.com

I also enjoy the Techsnap podcast, it gives me a pretty good snapshot of current IT events, and their show notes usually provide plenty of links to follow up on stuff that interested me.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm trying to figure out 2 minor issues with a Window application (RIS client) that the vendor's developers can't/won't help with (probably because they're so minor in comparison to what they're working on). Anyway:

- Some of the text displayed in the App is too small for 75% of our userbase. No controls for font size in the application.
- When integrated with another application (PACS client), a particular function resets the mouse location to the center of the screen after clicking on one button.

I'm dicking around with Sysinternals to try to get some hints, but so far nothing useful (but sure is fun/interesting to see application calls, registry read/writes, etc). What other tools are out there that would let me see what's going on at the Windows level? I've played with stuff like Fiddler to troubleshoot app/server issues, but these problems are at the desktop level.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I just had my 8th anniversary at work, and while I can see myself staying here for another 2~4 years, I'm going to start looking around. Not sure if I should hit up a recruiter, or just apply to stuff I find posted... I guess I should start with updating my resume first, which is a task in itself since I've been a generalist and all my "feathers" are all over the place.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Today: 5th iteration of Helpdesk ticketing system. It's gone like so in 8 years: Sharepoint -> RT-> OTRS -> Mojo Helpdesk -> TrackIT.

Each time, the change has been justified by changes in roles, "agents" and their actual roles, and budget... a bit of a a roller coaster of functionality, agent and end-user friendliness and configurations. TrackIT seems nice, but probably overkill for the size of our IT department of 2, with about 80 new tickets weekly. Oh well, stuck with it for at least another year.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Resume updated, Meeting a local recruiter for coffee on Wednesday. Goal: :toot: yotj 2016. Since I'm not willing to relocate (Reno, NV), I'm thinking the local recruiter will be a good move.

I've been at my current workplace for almost 9 years, I think it's about time to go elsewhere and get challenged to learn stuff again :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

3. Encrypt all server drives.
Why? Are they not in a server room, behind locked doors already?

And on technical questions: does encryption work OK with all servers? What about RAIDs? What about VM servers, that have a virtual hard drive? Are you encrypting a SAN?? I had enough vendors tell me that this was a bad idea because of reasons, and have yet to encrypt a server.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

How many of you keep your email with very few unread emails?
During work hours, it's rare that I'll have more than 10 unread emails. When I get in the office, first thing I do is go through all email, even if most of it is logs and automated notices.

After taking a peek at some of my coworker's inboxes, with hundreds of unread items, I wonder if I'm a strange bird, or if I'm part of a strange breed.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Very interesting, thanks all for chiming in. This could almost be an interview question at this rate!
I often look at non-IT/management, and they have unread emails in the thousands... I bite my tongue, and shall continue to do so.

flosofl posted:

I was out last week due to an unexpected death (not mine)
:haw:

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 3, 2015

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

This Amazon "leak"... how is it not a bigger deal?
Is it one of those "evidence of no problem" would be impossible, so better play safe if "no evidence of problem" and reset passwords, even if perhaps unnecessary?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone know if Sonicwalls have something like a "Fail 2 Ban"? Using a NSA2600 with all the Intrusion Prevention features turned on: I get 800 emails about IPS preventing attacks from one IP address. It'd be nice if after 50 prevented attacks, I could configure it to just block the IP address.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Teleworking question: if there are a dozen of remote workers, and no actual office or central servers/network, what's the best way to create a distributed "private" network? Does Merkai (or similar) have a teleworking product that creates a private network through VPNs, without there being a central point?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks, that's kinda why I'm stuck too, don't know the why. I"ll probe some more in depth.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

So true, so true. Printed, and posted next to all my subversive posters in my office.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

After a few months of complaining that we're too overburdened, the Director of IT finally got board approval to open a req, and start looking to bring 1 more IT resource on board.
Today's meeting about requirements for the posting, he said "let's get someone with an ITT tech degree, those guys know all the stuff we need them to know".

My :yotj: can't come fast enough.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I need some quotes on pallets of things. Does anyone have any good recommended reps at SHI, CDW, etc., preferably on the West Coast?
I can get you in touch with our ex-rep at Zones.com. We switched to SHI for this year, and I'm already regretting it. Our guy at Zones was on top of most things, and our new guy is reactive at best when it comes to updates.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

If the display is cracked but the phone still works then I assume they just want to make sure the data is backed up so they buy a new phone and can pick up where they left off.

Kinda agreeing here. On top of that, suggest the new phone has accidental damage warranty for extra points.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

New sysadmin started on Monday, and somehow the week was super chill and all the training I wanted to conduct, happened. Even better: new guy is fitting in superbly, and very technically adept.
Now, I'm not sure if I'll be trying to :yotj: or not.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

^ that's pretty awesome.

Anyone attending Interop (Vegas) next week? I'll be there Tuesday to Friday, and looking for beer drinking buddies.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

yeah... but you could end up having to do all that at around 2am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

In Windows 7/10, is there a way to block access to USB ports, but make it so that it could be "authorized" UAC-style by an Administrator, on a case-by-case basis?
I know that I can block the USB ports through GPO, but it'd be a lot of fuckery to address if someone with a legitimate need actually needed to use the USB ports.