Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm in the same situation at 28. I only do design and project work now, hate ops, and have priced myself out of most of the market. At this point the only move forward would be pre-sales or management. If I ended up in management, I think I would just end up being one of those technical managers who sucks at delegating work to my employees so I think I am going to have to move into pre-sales. Also the idea of chasing people down because they forgot to log their hours doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If I ever become a hiring manager I am going to ask soooo many ICMP questions, just to really get under peoples skin

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

I have a technical interview next week with a guy who is a triple CCIE.

:staredog:

Don't sweat it too much. I've had interviews with 2 different CCIEx3, just know they are way smarter than you and they know it. One of the interviews I had we spent an hour diving into how deep down the technical rabbit hole I could go (poo poo like which k factors in EIGRP are used by default) whereas another asked me what part of a packet gets rewritten when traversing a router interface, then he just asked me how I would utilize grep and awk print when parsing data (he was trying to poke holes in my resume at this point).

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

I rarely move poo poo around for work. I drive a Taurus SHO, and it has a cavernous trunk so I could put whatever back there no problem. The back seat would work as well, but I have 2 car seats back there and they're a pain in the rear end to put back in. Getting it out would be a hassle as the trunk is pretty deep. My wife has a Ford Explorer Sport and the one time I moved a bunch of servers I just took her car and put the 3rd Row down flat. I do love my Ecoboosted vehicles.

The CX-5 is supposed to be a nice little CUV.

Oooh I just went from a Focus ST to a Ford Explorer Sport (Dealer was as weirded out as everyone else when I mention this), dat twin turbo yo

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I leased the ST and tuned it, just remember to cycle it back to stock before going in for repairs or end of lease. I am on the fence about tuning the truck though, I get 12mpg with my normal "spirited" driving, can't imagine what it would be with over 400

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Our "guy who wrote a book" showed up wearing the same shirt for his first week and kept asking questions about networking that he himself wrote about. It was like he killed the original author, hid him in his walls, and stole his identity. Lasted a week.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

:iceburn:

I have had every interviewer ask why college isn't on my resume but it hasn't stopped me from getting engineering jobs. Management would be a problem but I don't really desire to go that route since I want my business to be full-time once I build up my contacts enough.

I have like 30 credits at a state school, one recruiter said that should be on my resume but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Are companies in DC area willing to help attain a security clearance for the right candidate? I am aiming for pre-sales in the DC area for my next move but I don't want to screw myself over by not having the clearance already before applying in the area.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the info guys. I am hoping the contracting company I work for now has a position down there at the time so I have the name recognition. They have a spot open now but my move would be at least 2 years out.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My coworker has been bugging me for a linkedin recommendation for a while now since endorsements are pretty much bullshit, finally caved and made this one. I think I did a pretty good job.

quote:

"Working with X has inspired me to achieve higher goals, because he encouraged me to reach out past my boundaries. When asked, X gave helpful criticisms of my work and then would volunteer his expertise to help me implement the solutions. When we had a difference of opinion on how to approach a problem, he never downplayed my view and would make sure we both end up on the same page. He is a team player who could always be counted on to put in more than his share of the work when needed.

During difficult projects, I often wondered if this is how Scottie Pippen felt when in the presense of Michael Jordan during the 91 - 93 three-peat."

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Tab8715 posted:

That's really good, mind if I barrow it? :haw:

Go nuts

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

YOTJ. Just accepted an offer to become a Sr. Security Engineer. $12k salary increase, $52/mo PPO, 3 weeks of paid vacation each year, and $6250/yr in tuition reimbursement.

D@ PPO! I'm paying $111 per week. congrats!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Must be YOTJ day, just got a linkedin recruitspam that was actually enticing enough for me to consider commuting back to NYC. Gotta love hedge fund money. We'll see how this goes..

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Misogynist posted:

Gotta love that NYC commute on top of the 13-hour hedge fund days. At least you'll be able to afford a top-of-the-line bed.

Eh I've worked in finance before, I think it gets an exaggerated bad rap. The commute had the benefit of allowing me to read a lot and now that I'm studying for my CCIE this would be a nice bonus. I am a glass is half full kind of guy obviously..

Also I already have a sweet bed :colbert:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh I must've gotten lucky in the brokerage I was at. It's not going to pan out anyway, I talked to the guy and despite my experience and knowledge, they want someone with more trading floor experience which I think just translates into they want someone who is used to being directly yelled at by brokers 8 hours a day

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
gymchat: I am 6'1 and was 200 pounds, skinnyfat basically. Started going to the gym 5 times a week and a 20 mile bike ride on the weekends, didn't see much of an improvement except for increased endurance. Started watching my calorie intake (ranging from 1400 - 1800) and took beer almost completely out of my diet and boom, 2 months later I'm down to my target of 175 and have my high school tone back. Diet is important folks.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Did you tell him you'll accept it if they come up? I have been burned by saying it that way. They may come back and say no can do (I have had this happen and later my new boss told me he would have added 30k to my salary if I had pushed it). If they come back like that and you're willing to walk away, tell him you've decided not to accept the offer if they aren't willing to work on that number.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: Whoops spoke too soon, they're only hiring 3rd party contractors, not direct employees

Sepist fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2014

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have two ex-coworkers, both were super incompetent and had titles of "wireless admin". After they left they both changed their resume so all of their previous jobs, including this one, had senior as a suffix. Only reason we know is both accidentally applied months later to positions at our company through recruitment companies

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

quote:

So true. No head count availability? Hire a contractor. You can always convert them later to employee if they are a rock star and the position is added to the count.

Unless your rockstar contractor refuses to take less money for the F/T employment and there's too much red tape to get that kind of pay grade approved in this years budget :smithicide:

Titles matter in the sense that if you put Senior on your resume, and go on an interview and don't seem like you know poo poo all about your niche, you're going to get mocked relentlessly after you leave and will disappoint a few people.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Hidden con to having a fat foodie boss: Recommending a place for lunch that he ends up hating may cost you your job, or at the least his trust. Guess he's not a fan of my sushi joint :( I just keep getting texts that say "your dead"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
HAHA oh man I may as well just pack my desk at that point

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
It doesn't sound like a very technical position from what you posted earlier which is probably why the salary is so low. If you're not comfortable with that salary then keep looking. On paper it doesn't seem like it would be much of a career move either.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Actually my boss is pretty chill as long as you work under him and not for someone else (or give him bad lunch recommendations), he busts everyone else balls and takes the heat for everyone under him when necessary. Hell I knocked out public wifi for a whole state for 9 hours and he just laughed at me for missing such an easy post-check. His boss however, is pretty crazy - Triple CCIE VP who is too smart for his own good.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Possibly YOTJ :toot: Have a call in 2 minutes with a Triple CCIE I interviewed with last year but his boss wouldn't hire a PM for me to work with, now they have a better and actually available position for me.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

Forget everything until someone asks me about it a second time, then do it in a few minutes.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I was just in a meeting about traffic engineering that was spinning wheels so bad that I whiteboarded a spinning wheel

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I love dilberts sweeping generalizations

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea I don't touch computers or anything IT related once I leave work and I would say I'm pretty drat passionate about my job. After 5pm I just sit on my couch with my girlfriend and watch vampire diaries :drac:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Umm why would you agree to do that, family or not. They are a business, it's their job to find their hiring problems using their resources, not yours (which shouldn't be free btw). HR resources have the ability to get pay baselines from companies that charge to do the exact thing you're going to do for free.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
That's how it always is. I have gone to a few vendor baseball games and Cisco buys us lunch most days. Gotta give something to get something.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
What an exciting week. Somehow cost justified installing 100gig cards into our ASR9922's that connect to the service provider's core, even though our module only does 20gig of traffic over our existing 60gig of uplinks. Never got to install or configure them so this will be cool.

I went on something resembling an interview this week. I interviewed with them over a year ago before taking my current position, now they want another stab at me for a position that does so much crap that the title of "senior network engineer" doesn't do it justice. Wasn't really an interview though, just talking about the position and what it entails. Some kind of pre-sales/post-sales/architect position in which I will have my own junior engineer doing all the grunt work but I will be customer facing again, plus I'll be working with a broad range of products instead of silo'ing myself to R&S which is what I mainly have been doing here. Sounds fun but I will have to go back to commuting to mid-town every day instead of my 5 minute commute one town over. At least I will have time to study for the CCIE, something I have a hard time doing unless I'm forced to (eg: Train commute) Benefits and career growth are much better too, gonna have to take it for the growth aspect alone. :yotj:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
SalaryFairy: You get a 100k salary, and you get a 100k salary! Everyone gets a 100k salary!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yikes, my boss asked me to make a website for ordering dunkin donuts because we go so often with such a high volume of people. 2 hours configuring the html5 app + php pages to make mysql calls. Weird.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
No I'm a network engineer but everyone knows I know how to code because I have made a few mobile games and another work relevant app for them. No one put a gun to my head to make it, we're just in a project lull and we always joke that this should be a thing so I whipped it together

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds shady and over complicated. I'd walk away. There's no promises on contracts, that 5 year contract could end tomorrow and you'd be SOL. I know guys who work full time for cisco that were suppose to be on site for "a few months" and they've been here for years now flying in every week.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a simple equation to use when charging for 1099 work in IT? I have a 1099 remote consulting opportunity dealing with a very niche piece of Service Provider equipment (maybe a handful of people outside of Cisco have the level of experience that I have with this device), I am thinking 2.5x my current hourly wage. Does that sound like too much?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Didn't matter ultimately. I came in at 2x my wage but they could only offer $80/hr. I took it because it actually isn't that much work, I am just revamping technical documentation for a boot camp.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
We had a hiring process go horribly wrong recently. We were hiring a programmer as a W2 contractor through a third party (same set up my current employment is set up as), our boss described him as "quirky". The friday before his start date, he's speaking to the third party and demanded a $1,000 sign on bonus to buy "Stuff he needs for the job" but wouldn't elaborate. He also wanted more compensation - whenever the 3rd party said that wasn't possible, he would hang up on them. He did this 3 times and the third time he said he won't take the job. He must've thought this was how you negotiate your hourly rate, because come Monday, dude shows up at the front desk thinking it's his first day. We had to have the 3rd party come in and explain to him that he doesn't actually have the job since he literally said he isn't going to work here and hung up on them, so he just says "Forget it, I don't want to work for you" and leaves off into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Morgan Stanley does that from what a friend told me