Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus Cisco is slow to kick off projects. I took a part-time job as a technical writer for a niche product and it has been 2 months since "starting". We had one kick-off meeting at the beginning where half of cisco didn't show up so we postponed it, and since then it has been a bunch of waiting. Supposedly gonna try for another kick-off meeting this week but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Simon Numbers posted:

Thanks for sharing, it's difficult to find someone that has any experience in the field as like you said; it's a niche field. You've quelled my fears a little bit.

I've given myself two years to finish my tertiary qualifications and get as many certs as I can related to networking and Sys admin. And then I'll try and get a transfer to an international role which will give me the opportunity to move around to different countries(which I like the idea of). Not being limited to just networking is probably the best idea as it'll enable me to dodge downsizing a little better.

Another large concern for me as well is getting experience in some of the more niche applications that are similar in function to what I'm using or ones that I've never used before. An example is that the entry level job I'm looking at uses TACACS but my current experience is Radius. I'm confident I can figure the applications out with ease but it still doesn't beat hands on experience. Is it something I could virtualize?

NZAmoeba sent me a message that you were looking for someone with a similar career path. I did all of this starting in 2006 so it may be different now - but I worked helpdesk at an ISP for two years, then switched jobs to work a helpdesk at a MSP. While in there I was like a sponge, just tackling any problem that came into our NOC and absorbing all the knowledge that came with it, talking with a lot of the admins about how to fix these problems, etc. Once a networking guy quit, I was the only logical person for promotion. If you stay at a large ISP your career path will probably be different since you'll end up being a small cog in a much bigger machine, whereas I was just one of 8 guys who could potentially be promoted - but one of my coworkers who is like my equal did come from the same ISP helpdesk as me and he still got here without leaving the ISP, albeit with a bit less money due to lovely pay raises in corporate land.

Two years to get basic qualifications is too long, you need to kick yourself in the rear end and get on that. The ICND1 can be done in a month or two, same for ICND2. In this day and age there's no reason not to virtualize 10 or so routers/switches using GNS3 and finding router/switch bin files on the internet and figure out how to get around the CLI and configure ports/routing protocols/authentication. Most guys we interview who have a CCNA can't even answer basic questions you would learn by building a virtual lab and breaking parts of it then learning how to fix it. You can tie GNS3 into TACACS to learn that if you want but honestly TACACS is easy to manage, the route/switch stuff is the hard part.

Also, just keep in mind it's quite easy to become complacant, nothing wrong it but it can hurt your career long term - you shouldn't really ever stop learning or become comfortable, if you want to be at the next level and it's not happening at your current job, shop around.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Has anyone ever had a technical interview with a 3rd party screening company? I have a Corp2Corp job contract that is outsourcing the screening, not sure what to expect in terms of level of technical grilling

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea I find it a bit dumb too and think it could potentially scrape a good candidate even if it's not me. There is still another interview process if I pass this one, direct with the client. This technical screening is done by the recruitment company to decide if they ship off the resume to the client..

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you not Networking Jesus?

I suppose - this positions not even that network technical, I work with wayyyyyy more advanced poo poo at my current contract - but this government job wants a Networking + LAMP developer which I kind of am and can be hard to find so they are paying ridiculous for it.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Dark Helmut posted:

Some of our clients make us roll candidates through tech screens. It's a pain in the rear end (because I generally have only basic knowledge of the topic) but ultimately as a recruiter I don't want you to fail unless you come across as a real dummy.

Maybe ask the recruiter if he will give you the questions ahead of time so you can prep?

I ended up not asking and just plowed through the technical screening. The guy was actually pretty cool, we chatted about how spoiled I am working with all new hardware and having a product life cycle of like 6 months. Gonna miss it when it's eventually gone :smith:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Docjowles posted:

What's prompting you to leave? Sorry if it's already posted in one of the 10 other IT threads.

A few things all related to my contract. The company I am contracted to is considering converting all contractors to full time employees, and I have no interest in being a FTE for this company. FTE's require a bachelor degree that I don't have, and oh yea, if they don't do the conversion then they plan to release all contractors without a degree.

My current role is a Senior blah blah and this new one is an Architect position with a little bit of technical management thrown in, so it would be a nice bump in both a personal challenge and moving further along in my career.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea these kind of corporate decisions are one of my reasons for avoiding being a FTE there. If I'm going to go back to that kind of employment I would most likely want to work at a startup or just a small company.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I just had an interview with 3 different people where 2 of them would be working under me and I would be reporting directly to executive management, and all 3 are already management. I think 2 of those 3 people didn't really appreciate that my job there will exist. I've never had an interview for such a position, should I expect going in that i may be hated just for existing in the company? I'm also younger than the 2 that would be working under me

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
They are going through a restructuring after realizing their rapid growth requires a high level engineer to rearchitect or they could possibly not have the capacity to meet demand, and this is apparently part of their reorganization. A lot of it was abnormal, and some part downright scary (like no one being able to tell me what hardware they use in the core) but I was referred by a friend at the company who said the risk is worth the scare. It wasn't too awkward, maybe more for them than me, but I am an easy going guy and made it very clear I am less interesting in managing people and more interested in helping solve their problems

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Goons, I could use some outside perspective.

I'm considering accepting an offer at a new company but I can't decide if it's the right move.

New company was a family office hedge fund that recently started taking external money so they are growing from 8 billion to 16 billion capital. My job would be a new position but I have worked in finance in the past and the work would be boring. The network seems a little...unstable so fixing it could be fun, but playing cleanup would be the only interesting part of the job.

Existing company I consult for is a service provider. Since I'm a contractor there's no upword progression on my career and that kind of bothers me which is why I'm looking to leave. I do get to work on all emerging technology and everyone on the team looks at me for leadership so that is nice. I'm not really challenged here anymore though.

Pay is about equal right now, hedge fund offers more in the end due to the wall street bonus at the end of the year. When I told my current employer I'm quitting they offered me an extra 25k to stay (which would put it above the hedge fund total compensation) and said maybe they can put me into an FTE position, but that doesn't change a whole lot other than time off and cheaper insurance.

I'm not really sure what is the right move here. Hedge fund seems like it would be more opportunistic because it's smaller so climbing the ladder could be quicker, but the service provider is guaranteed work, although there is a ton of a red tape I would always be dealing with.

I also should have my CCIE at the end of the year which itself opens many new doors. I would have more study time if I just stayed put.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Tough call, there's nothing about my current job that makes me want to kill myself, and my last finance experience was actually pretty peachy as well. I would call it a wash.

Edit: Actually I guess the boredom in finance would get to me, at least with the current job if I'm bored I can start using my webdev skills to build tools or some poo poo to keep me busy.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 16, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'd bet the hedge fund, if it's 8 billion it uses a crappy IT consulting company. They are planning on dropping the consulting company and moving to all in house guys. You'll probably be hired on to first manage the consulting company and then work towards transitioning away. It's not a bad deal, since you get to own a lot of the processes and bring a lot of utility to your company.

Nah they're already in house. The IT Staff is actually in a whole different building/location compared to the rest of the company, as they recently built this datacenter and placed the support staff there. I'm going to sleep on it but I am leaning towards staying where I am, finishing the CCIE then making another decision about the future. Thanks goons.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
There is a strong rumor going around that the company buying our company is going to let go of half the staff and send their positions overseas but give everyone a years salary severance (they did this with another recent acquisition), I soooo hope this happens. :unsmigghh:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't be silly, the backups are on a 32GB pen drive in the previous employees top shelf

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Woo a recruiting company has asked me to moonlight for them in pre-screening their candidates for networking jobs, can't wait to crush this guy later today :unsmigghh:

Also which one of you goons works for Service Central and was in a webex the other day with your reddit/SA bookmarks proudly on display?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know how much HackerRank charges per pre-screen coding exam, or generally how much that kind of service generally is to the employer?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
That site's awesome, gonna be a loving baller in retirement if we don't lose SS by then

I just turned 30 on Monday, I guess I need to start asking myself the important questions like if I should wait util I'm 70 to retire for that extra cash

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
buzzkill :mad:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

devmd01 posted:

I must be in a pod then, because unless it's something I plan myself to do after hours, when I leave work at 4PM it stays there until I return at 7AM. There is on-call but I've been called maaaybe 5 times in the past year, and always for stupid poo poo that I could tell them to wait until the next day or just put in a drat ticket.

Eh I am the same way - I have been called once in 3 years and that was because an executive report got screwed up on a friday afternoon by one of our inept programmers and I was the only "programmer" who answers his phone (I'm not a programmer)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My boss is incredibly lenient about time off / punctuality, too much to a fault. We had a contractor go on a 2 week nocallnoshow bender because his tenant died and he still was willing to let the guy come back to work. He called in another time saying he was in the hospital and sent my boss a picture of a room in a house and his fathers oxygen mask put on backwards as a way to "show proof", still didn't can him.

I show up every day a half hour early and a guy who lives 60 miles away shows up before me, yet the rest of our 9 person team is CONSTANTLY 10 - 30 minutes late and my boss doesn't say anything. Mildly annoying but I'm not the boss and it doesn't really mess with our department so :dealwithit:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Wow, you guys thought recruiters were bad? Look at this posting on upwork - https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~01d6b075b3ec0bda60/

Senior Engineer, Remote, $7 - $9 /hr - I'm guessing they're strictly looking to outsource it with such a low hourly rate

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah, that posting is so less interesting now

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread has made me very self conscious about my 2 1/2 page resume, had to cut it down to 2 pages to be able to sleep last night

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Is seasonal lows an uncommon occurrence in your company? If so, yea probably should dust off the resume..

We laid off a guy last year citing no project money, but then my boss spend 3.5 million on unnecessary upgrades to 100G in the same project scope. Not that this is a similar issue, but "project cash flow" seems like an easy way to let go of people where I'm at.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a mish mash of monitors. A 27inch ultra wide from home, my laptop, a 22 inch wide and a generic square dell flat screen. Contractors never get the cool stuff :(

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
It's actually really awesome. It comes with a "screen split" software that allows you to split the screen in a multitude of ways so when you drag and drop a window it automatically resizes to fit perfectly. If you maximize a window manually it will expand to full screen size which has been very useful when troubleshooting long database queries in some of the tools I code.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Well I guess there will be one less hosting provider in the business. I accidentally rm -rf 'd a new shell script and it's directory once due to empty variables, I get it..but I only did damage to myself at least

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Worst installation situation I've been in - we racked a 43RU ASR9922 but installed the brackets they sit on 1/3RU too low because we we're trying to compensate for clearance issues at the top, so when we pushed the device in, it sank into the cage. We tried to pry it out with a piece of steel but the steel kept bending. We had to find a 2x4 and somehow jimmy it out (I don't even know how we did this). Fortunately we only made that mistake once and the other 9 we've installed have gone in seemlessly

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
300 pounds unloaded, so I guess about 330 with what we left in it

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I make all of my errors tell the end user to email the guy I like the least in the company for any issues

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Come on man I'm not that evil

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
In no particular order of favorites:

Applied over-zealous CoPP policy to all switches in the metro area, caused about 3 million people to connect but not browse our metro-wifi for 8 hours

Applied router config to an ASA due to accidentally right clicking in putty for biggest oil company in america, crashed their intranet

Thought I was network jesus and solved some issue with a load balancer for a big fragrance company, ended up causing a spanning-tree loop and crashed their network during peak hours

Applied a NAT exemption on an ASA which somehow corrupted the flash then synced the corruption to the standby ASA, both crashed and needed remote hands to resolve. Screwed up payroll for some companies I think, not the coolest outage.

Most of those were done at a MSP that didn't have change control or maintenance windows for their clients, after having both of those things for the past 4 years I can't imagine not having it.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't mind the CLI for the ASA. CLI on the FIC sitting in front of a UCS is definitely where you don't want to use CLI though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
A trinity knot just looks like you knotted your tie together trying to figure out a real knot

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Posted a few times ITT. Due to ACA, we merged some time ago with several other hospitals. Most of my coworkers have left - for salaries that are, no exaggeration, double or nearly double and into the 6 figure range.

We also can't fill vacancies that we have at the existing salaries, so they're now starting to have to post at salaries 50-75% more than what we make, supposedly they are working on a market adjustment, but no way we'll be stepped up that much.

Well, whatever. I have a weird attitude in that I'm sticking around not for the money, but because the place is flexible with what you take on. Or, maybe they aren't flexible - I'm on a systems engineering team. I avoid trying to take on more operational or support loads, already got enough, I need to leave a bit of room for infrastructure work and maintenance. Projects are fine, because in theory once we complete the project the support load is supposed to fall on the support teams. Anyway, I digress. Long story short, I usually say yes, but have no problem being confrontational and saying no. A lot of people don't have that mindset, for better or worse. I judge what I take on based on engineering time, and how much additional operational\support time it's going to take. If the latter is too great, I'll point it out. I don't think I'll have that clout elsewhere, since I'll be the new guy having to reprove myself again.

It's just kind of sad, or maybe funny, they were looking for cost savings by merging health systems. Nope. Maybe in 10 years. Thanks Obama. :lol:

(Posting while signed into work at night remotely, publishing an App-V package of Crystal 2013 on a Citrix farm because the thick install of CR service packs completely blows)

I didn't realize this was due to ACA. The nearby big hospital was hiring for a sr net eng position last year at 110k, they just reached out to me again at 180k, I thought it was just because they were expanding or something. I might have to make a switch to the medical field..

Maybe you should leave then come back at that hospital or another one if you're unhappy with the salary situation. I know a guy who's left Citibank 3 times and come back for more money each time. As long as you leave on good terms. There's no way they align existing positions with new hire salaries, they just don't do it that way.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 20, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Accepted a job offer working at a VAR 5 minutes from my house :toot: Gonna be fun going from working on service provider equipment and just telling Cisco AS to fix all our poo poo to a pure enterprise project engineer, no support whatsoever and only working with fortune 500 clients. Should be exciting!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

Be prepared to be amazed at the sheer level of incompetence of both the technical and managerial personnel in many organizations. Although at least you won't be working with the government.

E: Also never trust that your customers will know what they're doing. For example, be prepared to explain to the network architect why a /30 subnet won't work for an outside interface on an ASA configured to run as a layer 3 HA pair. Then be prepared for him to be angry that this wasn't explicitly called out in the design document even though it clearly lists 2 IP addresses in a /29 subnet and also you've been asking for the addresses for 6 months but he waited until the day of the cutover to actually give them to you.

I've worked at a VAR in the past so I'm used to it, but I was in a network support role and this is a mix of pre and post sales role. Hopefully I can save myself some of those common frustrations by being so involved in the process.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

Yeah, plus if you end up working with the same group of customers, you'll become familiar with their various strengths and weaknesses so you can be prepared for it.

On a similar thread, I've got two interviews coming up - one with another VAR who's basically already offered me a ~30% raise (they just want me to meet with a member of their executive team for some reason), and the other with a fortune 500 in one of their tiny, semi-independent research teams. TBH, although the new VAR's compensation structure is much better than my current company, I'm not sure the extra money is worth jumping ship just to do the same thing with a different company in the same sector. The second job is one that I'd take almost no pay increase to work in, so here's hoping that one works out.

What's the research team job doing that's so cool? 30% seems like a lot to give up to work for one enterprise.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah, security is so hot right now I'm surprised there isn't a pay bump in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I would never accept one as a Full Time employee, but I've accepted one as a contractor. It's easier for a boss to throw more money at something that comes out of capex here so it wasn't a big deal. I definitely burned a bridge with my contracting company though by accepting a counter offer, having it retro'd, then finding a new job 2 months later.