Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
love to be owned by a 160 billion dollar oil company and have ppl scraping over trying to reclaim pcs since IT doesn’t own any and every department has to buy their own.

ppl stay at this company for like 10-30 years too 🤷🏻‍♀️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, right now I'm the only Onsite IT tech for branch and I have to be in office 5 days a week and after doing like almost 1.5 years either completely WFH or mostly WFH, it really drags!!

Especially some days like, I accomplish everything remotely anyway. At least the Systems Admin doesn't think I'm an idiot. And my bosses aren't even on site and don't give a poo poo at all, mixed bag?

I should get some certs or something probably. I'm still new to the field and only have like 1.5 years of experience anyway.

(and TBH a year of that was bullshit email support for a VPN but everyone "counts" it for some reason so who am I to be like "no actually...")

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
How do you even work several side gigs at once that are all full time? Just on clock for all two or three at the same time bouncing between tasks? Somehow this seems like the biggest mystery to me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

They aren't jobs where there's a concept of 'clocking on'

right, i understand that. poor word choice.

Sickening posted:

May days are busier than they were. But lets not kid ourselves, SR engineer gigs and up aren't exactly digging ditches. Outside of meetings, if you are constantly swamped with work its because you are the only person trying to swamp themselves with work.

fair enough. do all your jobs know you’re working multiple jobs? I’m sure there have been times you’ve had to reschedule meetings due to conflicts.

Mostly just curious. It sounds wicked.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Internet Explorer posted:

I had like a 5 minute walk to the office and I still switched jobs to a remote-only. Having to fight about it definitely factored into my thinking.

tbh this is me rn. My commute is 3m by car but it’s the waking up to get ready that loving sucks. It kills like 1.5-2 hours every morning cause my sleep issues are terrible. WFH for 1.5 years sucked at first but by month 3 or 4 i was ON BOARD with the autonomy and comfort.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Inner Light posted:

Yeah what is going on with Twitter? It's acting weird too. Probably just the extra traffic, but lol today's a funny one.

It's probably difficult to predict a surge of traffic quite like this, but you'd think they'd have real substantial extra load capacity for things like world altering news events, etc.

Like power companies have peakers for hot days in summer.

or we could just NOT have that and save money all the time :)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I would take a 10k pay cut to stay remote in a heartbeat.

I've been saying this since I started my current job (In July). On-Site 5 days a week blows chunks after doing WFH for nearly 2 years. What am I 5 years old?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i'm on month 3 of doing helpdesk and is it supposed to feel like feast or famine sometimes? (super busy or super dead)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If youre working help desk just starting your career, use your free time to learn new skills and tech and move up.

I worked with a lot of good, smart people, who are still stuck in helpdesk or poo poo jobs because they never bothered getting certs or learning new tech. Some of them are happy with the low stress and just want to clock in and out, which is fine, but a lot want to move up and have found themselves left behind.

If your at work study for something if you can! You're getting paid to further your career that way.

i definitely am learning a bunch when stuff does happen, like some networking specifics that have been kind of arcane to me for a while. i should be looking at studying for certs or something during my downtime at work rather than dicking off which is what i'm mostly doing though. good suggestion. not sure how i can go about learning more tech or systems when i don't have access to much stuff through my job, but i haven't also looked very hard for learning or educational courses related to IT stuff since i just fell into the job last year.

it'd have to almost entirely be self-motivated or trained as i'm the only onsite tech at this location so i can't exactly learn any 'ropes' from the other IT people. it's hard to tell whats normal or not. i replaced a guy who was here for 4 years and a month or so in they transferred all his open tickets to me and he had unresolved stuff from like up to 2 years ago. that users just somehow dealt with not having ever gotten fixed? (I followed up and in some cases the user would confirm X was never fixed)

i was doing, idk, something more involved(?) than 'helpdesk' before this role for a couple months, whereas a lot of tasks i did at my last one are delegated out to my other colleagues here. specifically, my last job was more focused on asset management and maintenance, ordering, shipping, retrieval, than troubleshooting. whereas now I have more troubleshooting going on, but also a smattering of what I feel are *even more* important large tasks, like upgrading all the firmware for every switch here based off our poor documentation (I got like 5 or 6 switches on the list of two dozen that don't have IPs??? plus our office is connected to a plan that's running 24/7 so updating firmware is kinda tricky at times.)

I will look more into certs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got a 2nd interview for a new place that'd be fully remote, I honestly don't think I'm going to try and push too hard for a raise from my current place because the benefit of being fully remote permanently is worth XX$ to me at this point. If this one falls through during this process I should probably re-evaluate my resume since I am not getting a ton of bites in general despite the marketing appearing super hot right now.

But then again, maybe I should push for a slight raise. I guess I don't' ultimately have much to lose. I really don't like the place I'm at now though. It's vaguely acceptable, but the processes are too chaotic and messy and the documentation is basically non existent. Plus they keep making me work on the weekends, which isn't any good at all for me, a big baby.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nice things about WFH part 1,000,000: being able to go straight from bed to an interview and killing it. I just had an interview for a position that I applied for like a month and a half ago and I didn't feel very prepared but then once I got talking it went great. There were only a few technical questions but I got the feeling that my answers were more in-depth than they were expecting for this position and when it came to me asking questions the hiring manager said that my questions were the best she had heard so far.

what kinda questions did you ask?

I have a 2nd interview with a WFH job later today and I'd love to crush it... I don't wanna work onsite anymore with these people.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

You get enough ADD meds in your system and caffeine doesn't do anything anymore

this reminded me i hadn't re-upped for 9 hours

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

LochNessMonster posted:

What does that warning sign mean?

“Watch out for small children trying to open your fermentation vessel and steal/drink/drown in your beer”?

standard warning sign on any bucket for drowning if even small amount of liquid present

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
considering decisions made by upper mgmt, our branch gets computers with like half as much ram, half as much disk space (which doesn't matter that much tbf) and a shittier dock and shittier power supply than other branches because why not? gently caress it!! gotta save that money!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

I've committed IT haram by giving up my cushy WFH job and accepting a new one that has me back in the office. I'm sure I'll come to regret it 2 weeks after I start but the benefits were too good to pass up.

I think keeping my commute time to < 15 minutes will be a major key to happiness at the new place.

I give it 3 weeks.

My commute is 5 minutes on a bad day but I resent having to gently caress off in an office for 40 hours a week when I could easily do 90% of my job from home.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

jaegerx posted:

omegle for forums. Can't go wrong there.

they don't call it homegroan for nothing

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Internet Explorer posted:

I know that cats and dogs teeth need cleaning, but every night seems like something no one but a vet tech would do! I feel like humans don't have the same issues with teeth resorption, which seems to be the cause for any teeth problems our cats have ever run into. Owned cats my entire life and never once have I cleaned their teeth.

Probably helps they don't eat a gently caress ton of sugar like we do where every thing is laced with the stuff.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

A Teams message came in

"Hey can I ask you a question about something"
"Yes"
[30 minutes pass]

Come on man

this poo poo drives me crazy. people always messaging "hello" THEN start typing their request/question. so now I'm waiting for them to finish and it's like, just loving open with your problem, please.

and you better believe they're all super slow typists.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm not sure why folks sit and wait with bated breath for others to continue and/or finish their question.

Like Slack has a cmd-k keyboard shortcut that lets you switch conversations. You can go back to what you're doing, you don't have to sit waiting.

Also you don't have to instantly respond to people either.

I mean i know that, I just am now waiting for a followup when I wouldn't have to "wait" if they'd have just opened with it. Or at least, have it ready after you send hello!

They can type all they want before they message me. After they message me I just want them out of my hair.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Agrikk posted:

There’s no book because this question encompasses pretty much the sun total of all non-application-specific computer knowledge to date.

Frankly I’ve always been curious to know how a mechanical action (a key press) results in an electronic reaction (a character appears on my screen). I’ve poked at it a few times but in the end :effort: and I left thinking “magic” was as good enough answer as any.

isn’t it essentially pushing the key is completing a circuit that sends the electrical energy to the computer to interpret based on its specific energy?? idk.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
extremely slow. I should be working on certs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

regulargonzalez posted:

Update!

So, long story short. The coworker I mentioned before was a work friend. She is transgender (but not open about it), which didn't matter at all to me. No one in the office ever brought it up, I don't know who knew, who didn't know, but definitely no one who knew thought anything negative because of it. Anyway, I accidentally let slip that I knew she was transgender, basically because I'm on hormone therapy and I stupidly mentioned that we had similar experiences regarding taking hormones (albeit for very different reasons, so trying to be relatable was ignorant on my part).

We had a really good conversation that day but when she got home she obsessed over how I knew, who else knew, she felt too self conscious to return to the office. So she quit and deleted all her stuff, deleted her share, deleted things she had been working on in the group share, deleted her scripts.

I like her very much as a person and coworker, though I'm also mad about how she handled it. And of course I feel guilty for my role in this. Her resignation isn't official until a week from Friday so we're hoping that some outreach might change her mind. Situation is unfortunate because there were half a dozen projects she was the lead or sole person on, which is a lesson for us.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's just a very sad situation. I don't want to dwell on my feelings because it's not about me, but like I said I considered her a work friend and had some hopes of establishing the friendship outside of work. I had invited her and her partner to Thanksgiving, she'd come to my office and show me some tips on guitar.

I was very stressed about starting on hormones and was in my head. I approached the situation entirely wrong -- I asked her before if I could ask a sensitive question, she said yes, and that at any time she should let me know if she was uncomfortable. But then asked about hormones, assuming (without asking) her gender status.

I desperately want to make things right but I recognize that it is not my decision to make. I certainly never did or will discuss her gender with anyone else, but the fact that I knew was extremely upsetting to her I now realize. I do wish she would have mentioned her discomfort at the time; we had a really long and interesting conversation that ranged from hormones to gender to religion to quantum mechanics. She was engaged and seemed well disposed at the time, reminding me of a time I had supported her when she was going through teasing / hazing from coworkers.

I'm just a dumb motherfucker for interpersonal stuff.

I don't think you're super to blame here. Yeah, I'd say you should have waited for her to possibly broach the subject before you started talking about it -- I'd feel weirder if someone i hadn't told I was trans started talking to me like that, but you considered her a decent work-friend. At least, you weren't outing her to people, you just made it known you assumed/had clocked her. Which isn't great, but it isn't as sinful as going around the office telling people about the weird trans degenerate.

I don't know if this will be helpful but here's my perspective on it at least, as a trans person in a office where I don't talk about that fact:

I know personally, I really appreciate no one at work misgenders me or mentions that I'm trans, and my overall feeling about it is "as long as I don't explicitly tell anyone, no one knows for sure. They can guess, or assume, but who cares?" and that comforted me a lot when I started working at this company. It's very stuffy and full of old people, but I've only been misgendered once by a new hire and I have decided at this point (based on future interactions with her) that it was closer to a slip of the tongue that can happen to people referencing cis people sometimes.

If someone came to me privately and started asking me about it, I'd probably react visibly fine. But I'm also someone who tries to be an open-book about this sorta stuff. Years ago, I wanted to be some kind of resource for people to ask questions to, but as I've gotten further and further into the transition, it has become less of an interest or focus for me to be that. With close friends, sure, that's fine, but I'm less, uh... open in general about it. I tell people I want to become friends with because it's a great filter, but other than that, I don't mention it.

It's just way, way, way easier to navigate a lotta situations if I don't disclose. I know at previous companies, interacting with new people, they'd ask me my pronouns cause I was so visibly trans it was impossible to ride any sort of plausible deniability. And those people weren't malicious or anything even. I think getting my voice sorted made a big difference, though.

She probably personally doesn't harbor ill-will toward you and might not have even been uncomfortable in the moment (and just wasn't telling you) but after she stewed in that thought afterwards that everyone knew and was secretly judging her for it or even talking about it behind her back. That'd stress me out too, but probably not enough to quit. As long as people aren't being lovely to me, whatever. But it really depends how people interacted with me. I think if the office KNEW for SURE I was trans, a lot of people wouldn't treat me exactly the same, due to whatever unconscious biases would be at play.

I hope you can work it out with her and bring her back. It sounds hard.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

regulargonzalez posted:

A sincere thank you for this post. It mirrors a lot of my thoughts. The biggest difference between your situation and here is that this is a pretty liberal area and a liberal environment even within the area and whoever does know, if any, absolutely doesn't care. But I'm approaching it with my cis mindset and I can't project into her experience.

Do you have PMs and can I message you later?

I do have PMs. you can message me whenever.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can empty quote, you don't have to say you're not doing it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sickening posted:

In my weekly IT security meeting at my main job and my CISO is currently complaining that she sees snacks at people desks. We are a 100% work from home team in a 100% work from home division.

This bizarre concern, among many of other incredibly weird takes, is now starting something I can't stop. One of my team members is so angry and he is ready to die on this hill. Send me hopes and prayers goons, HR is going to have to swoop in like the eagles of middle earth.

The gently caress? God forbid people have food at their desks in their own home? What is her justification for it??

ngl I would probably die on that hill too if someone was complaining about me having a SNACK at my DESK AT HOME.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 12, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
final hour of my last day at this company, I was only here for 6 months but everyone is like, "please don't leave" sorry suckers. Gotta run. I heard the guy who I replaced, who retired, might come back temporarily? Wild.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hosed up.

new msp gig doesn't have paid breaks and expects 40 hours avg of logged work a week. Didn't anticipate I should confirm "does your job offer even 1 measly paid break a day or does it expect 8 hours of balls-to-the-wall work every single day during the week?" Or is this something I should have expected? I got off easy last job I guess: it was a dead easy environment and probably only required 10-15 hours of actual work a week (honestly, if that, some weeks), but it was on-site every day. And I wasn't learning a ton of hands-on to be honest, just kind of coasting. Maybe it'll be good to stick it out for a little bit, or something. Idk. I'm kinda new still.

It's not even that I really REQUIRE breaks, but it's the principle of it? Gonna be stressful feeling like I gotta "make up" for bathroom breaks or something.

I should keep looking.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sickening posted:

If this is the US, I would suspect that states laws would cover the requirements for stuff like this. But even outside of requirements, a company that wouldn't offer reasonable breaks and lunches is bottom of the barrel trash.

I guess only 8 states have rest break required laws, which is hilarious. I love this country. Agreed though. I gotta figure something out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

i am a moron posted:

Not sure if I’m missing something here, but unless someone is up your rear end eight hours a day you do the following on your timesheet:

- always round up to the nearest hour (or two hours)
- hide all your hours on fixed price stuff when you need to do it
- do whatever the gently caress you want with the extra time you have from rounding up

OR

- just lie completely

Source: been billable for seven years, always have 100% utilization. I bill companies hundreds of dollars an hour to poop or jack off or play video games every week.

It's all like, every touch is timed to the second. I'm new to this whole logging time thing, but it seems like I'd have to bill a ton of tickets an extra 1-2m each to get a reasonable break out of it? Unless I'm working on like a project or something, but it seems like they want 8 hours logged per day over dozens and dozens of touches not like, 2-3 hour chunks. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

i am a moron posted:

Oof are they using some kind of work tracking system? I think Connectwise could do something like that, never worked at an MSP but I heard about it somewhere. All my timecards are and have been eyeballed. If they’re really expecting you to literally work every second like a robot you need to find a new job for sure, that’s extremely gross

Yeah I guess so. People must game it somehow, cause I only realized there weren't breaks when I was talking with the HD manager and he was like "Oh no one takes breaks" and I was like "what"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

I would just carry on working like you did before and wait and see if anybody brings it up.

I just started this week.

i am a moron posted:

Was the manager joking by chance? I really can’t even understand that. Who doesn’t take breaks at work

No joking. i confirmed with the CEO that they do not offer paid breaks at the moment and he said they don’t and if they figure out they aren’t legally obligated to they’ll continue to not do so

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

i am a moron posted:

Are you salaried? Do you have set hours?

I’m salaried but expected to log 40 hours of work a week on average. So I was advised if I want to take breaks i can come in early or leave later or what ever

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i use synergy on the pc and work mac, keep on pc on first monitor, swap inputs on the other two, use usb switch to swap audio and webcam back and forth

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cage-free egghead posted:

I just saw a video yesterday of someone who set up a PC and Mac on an ultrawide and used a piece of software called Synergy. The monitor had a input mode to use both computers and the software would let you "hop" between the two screens using one set of equipment.

Could something like that work for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tFcdIz7-fs

I use synergy between my work mac and my personal pc. It's seamless, really sick. Totally worth 30 bucks (I got it reimbursed tho lol)

As for monitor switchers, you could get a full fledged KVM if you wanted like one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Extended-CKL-Microphone-Keyboard-CKL-922HUA/dp/B07KN4J2XD

At the moment though, I use this USB 3.0 switch for my audio routing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6GD9JO

It works really well and has 4 USB ports if you wanted to also slam your MKB in there.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 15, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
call comes into HD. answer. guy requests I remote into his computer. i ask him what’s going on, he says: “I need help converting a Google Sheet to Excel.”

“okey!”

File>Download

he was really grateful. told me he’d give me 5 stars.

i want to find his boss and get him fired. edit: this sounds super mean and I don't actually mean it, i just can't understand how these people dress themselves and then go on to work for fortune 100 companies.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 8, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Seriously, that's a reasonable question. Unless you think the same way as the developer of that UI, "Download" easily seems like a very backwards way of doing a format conversion. Someone coming from Excel on desktop would be looking for "Save As". Or in the user's own words, a "Convert" function. That the converted data ends up as a file in their Downloads folder is a secondary effect.

Helping with little weird one-offs like this is the point of a support hotline. You can start getting annoyed if the same user keeps calling with the same question.

Ok. this guy has spent 6 hours of his company’s money on inane questions like this within 3 weeks of starting. I’m not annoyed. I’m baffled. It also didn't even need to be 'converted,' as it was already an *.xlsx document that had been uploaded to Gsheets.

I just expect him to “try” if “googling” is too much.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 8, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skeezy posted:

Don’t mind these types of tickets every now and again. Easy to do and if it makes the person happy that usually makes me happy.

Me neither. I’m happy to help! I was just surprised.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mostly just being glib when I said I wanted to get him fired

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

Eh, who cares? It's not your money, and if you log everything accurately then someone else can decide if the support costs he's accruing are an issue or not. Just enjoy the easy cases that have people leaving very positive reviews.

It isn't that I care I'm just saying it isn't a one-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

KFJ posted:

I'm in Iceland.

I mean, that's the usual advice I see here and in other places - But it took me a long while to get this job after I got my IT Diploma. I have a grand total of ~8 months IT experience and I'm not really certain how far that'll get me.

you’re in the door now. it’s different.

don’t quit immediately, but you’re gonna probably be surprised when you’re looking compared to being ultra fresh.

edit: christ i can’t type

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2022