Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My last 3 titles at my current employment have never been used at the company before and they made them up because they don't give raises higher than cost of living unless you get "promoted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do any of you have tips for working at a startup? Gf got interviewed at a local tech startup (they make custom search algorithms and just got a contract with TI) to be their mobile app designer, and neither of us are sure what questions to ask. The last thing she wants is for the company to be purchase by Google or something and then she is out of a job. She's already interviewed with the CEO, the lead engineer and next week talks to their one HR person, who will detail their offer sheet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I'll preface this by saying I've worked at a couple startups, and I enjoy it. I don't mean to be bagging on them. That said, a couple things to keep in mind:

Startups are inherently unstable. How is her financial situation? Can she afford to be abruptly laid off at any time? Because the startup completely folding is honestly a much, much likelier outcome than Google buying them for billions of dollars. Obviously you can be laid off from any job, but a sudden cashflow problem or change of direction that makes her irrelevant are much more common in a startup.

Do not get suckered in by stock options in lieu of actual salary. Unless you're a founder or coming in as an executive you are probably being granted a trivial amount of stock. Then you're gambling on the extremely small chance that the company is bought or IPO's for a gigantic multiplier that makes your small amount of stock worth the years of lost salary. Sure, they might get "purchased by Google or something" but it's literally a million times more likely that the company either goes bankrupt or just continues chugging along, privately owned. Stock options are fine, but the offer should be "competitive salary, and also stock options". Not "half of a competitive salary, but wow, just look at all these <worthless> options!" For every Instragram or WhatsApp that wins the lottery, there's thousands that just fail and fade away. Most that do get bought are deals that won't make anyone but the primary investors a noticeable profit.

Getting bought by Google probably shouldn't even enter into her decision making process; it's not the likely outcome. She should weigh the job on whether the work sounds exciting, she likes her coworkers, and the company seems at least a little financially stable. In other words, the same reason you'd take any job.

I appreciate this. The company is 2 years old, so not exactly brand new and they sound decently stable, financial wise. Her current job is extremely stable (doing Java for a billion dollar insurance company) and she already told them she needs to be blown away to consider leaving. Thanks for the advice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Awesome, thanks for the info. A lot is going to come down to what they offer. She is still young (graduated college a year ago), where as I'm 33, so now's the time to do the start ups and so forth, if it makes sense, salary and benefit wise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

If it involved re-racking everything I would totally do it. I like racking stuff.

As long as it's an actual rack and not just two rails in a closet.

Want to come "rack" a few Cisco switches on a "cabinet" towards the ceiling of one of our manufacturing plants? Only about 105F up there and extremely dusty with tons of spiders. It's considered an actual rack!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sitting in the doctors office. I like how all their computers are windows xp.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I'm not sure if either of us will fully understand equity compensation if there happens to be any. And it's not like she can afford a lawyer to explain it to her.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah Epic here in Madison, WI only accepts applicants with four year degrees.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just answer interviews like this, ok?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

600 person company. 100 or so in the office, all whites. Rest in the manufacturing plant. All minorities.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not necessarily. About 4 or 5 years ago we moved from GroupWise to Exchange and I can count on one hand how many times I had to use Powershell, and that was only to get a report of mailbox sizes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right but I was more talking every day management. One offs like that are for sure better in Powershell. We're not big enough to ever see those type of projects.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mayodreams posted:

I literally just did this for ~800 users. I am finally on the tail end of the implementation, but Jesus Christ I am glad it is almost over. I haven't had a work free weekend in 2 months.

We had it easy - no public folders, no archiving and no pst files. Suck it, users.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Na, they didn't have any of that stuff with GroupWise so they didn't know what they were missing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I spend less than $50/week and I don't just eat ramen and hot pockets. That's groceries and not going out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm salary but I can't remember the last time I worked late or weekends. The worst it gets is if I spend an hour at home updating servers at 10pm while drinking a few beers and watching Netflix. Not too bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Cisco rep took me out to an expensive meal, which was a wonderful gesture until I remembered that it's coming out of their margin. "Here, have a little bit of what you overpaid us back."

Well the dinner goes directly to your stomach, the amount your company paid doesn't come out of your paycheck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

I'd guess that'd cost about fifteen million merits.

Black Mirror, yay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm the same as dogstile. Working out just drains me and I want to sleep immediately after.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cardio mainly. But I've stopped for a while until I move into my new house.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gf got offered a job at a 5 year old company for 10 grand more than she is making now. Absolutely no benefits except for some stock and vacation. She could get Obamacare for around $230/mo for a very good plan. She currently is really disliking her job at the insurance company, but she does get a good 401k matching and benefit package. She is only 24, so maybe that stuff doesn't matter right now. She has no clue what to do.

The big catch of the company for her is that she would be working on a whole bunch of stuff instead of staring at Java code all day bored out of skull.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The new job has zero 401k, her current is 50cents of every dollar up to 6%. She sent back a counter offer with an extra 5k salary and 3 weeks of vacation but they said sure, we can increase your wage, but we're halving your stock options.

She wants to take it less for the money, but believes it's a better career move.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, so it's more like a 3% match and now it's halved how much is required to vest?

4 years. The stock she would be getting would be worth $30,000 at current rates.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I want a big list of computers just like we have where I can get on any of them in one click.

Teamviewer does that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

adorai posted:

Ever tried dameware? I have found it to be between sccm and vnc in terms of usefulness.

I think Dameware is internal only, so basically worthless for outside workers unless they are connected to VPN.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Depends what the size of the office is. I do tons of Desktop Support, but my official title is Network Administrator and I get paid like one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

psydude posted:

DAF's new "gently caress you, got mine" attitude runs pretty contrary to this, which is a shame

I know a few IT folks with this attitude. It blows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah the company I work for, they match half up to 6%. So I have to give 6% and they will match 3%. Also the 5 years before you get it. It used to be 12% but they used the 2008 economic downturn to take quite a few things away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zenworks has a pretty sweet imaging tool, but you could also use the free Microsoft tools. Both zen and MS can PXE boot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cheap, easy, useful. Pick two.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I was discussing intranet software, obviously.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can be like my boss and implement Sharepoint without any training and expect people to just use it because "it's made by Microsoft, how hard can it be".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We got rid of Novell 3-4 years ago. Hard to find support anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I liked GW a lot when we ran it. We had an ActiveSync server for mobile phones, but it was nice that Exchange has that built in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We're doing network maintenance this Saturday, which means we're taking down the entire network for about 4 hours. We sent out emails detailing this over the past month. Today the CFO came in and said all the auditors are coming in Saturday, and does this mean they can't get email and network access???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have a poo poo ton of twinax still in the walls. That stuff is no fun when you need to snake new cables.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our IT dept fridge is in the server room heh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

evol262 posted:

You'd be surprised how effective keeping things under the tiles is

No doubt. Our server room is carpet on top of concrete. The carpet isn't even the fancy no static electricity carpet. The building is from the 1920s so go figure.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The heat is out in the office, so it's 46F in here. I might as well go hang in the server room which is a nice balmy 75F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes, you can setup a private cloud that connects your datacenter to AWS. You specify which ports you want to communicate on and it's all firewalled traffic. It's as secure as you make it. It's also expensive depending on the amount of traffic.