Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

whaam posted:

Do most of you guys have a plan to move into management or project management as you get closer to 40? You don't see many systems engineers, administrators, etc in the 40-55 age range. Is that just due to our industry being so new, or is the usual path into management the only way to avoid being aged out of the industry?

gently caress management. Techie4lyfe :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
My first job out of college was at a small start-up with 5 people, and we weren't paid overtime, but rather compensated with 5% commission on every job we did for a client. This was a regular, full-time job for me. We billed about $110 an hour, so I was see like an extra $5/hr. However, that was for jobs at clients were we had to bill them, this did not count for internal work (say for example, building a new ticketing system or setting up a network printer in our office). I was easily working 60 hours a week and honestly was too young/stupid to investigate if any of this was wrong and if I was not receiving a fair wage. Now that I think back...it sounds sketchy to me.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
The largest ever IPO occurred in the US last week, and working on Wall Street there was a pretty positive buzz on Thursday and Friday. Went to the stock exchange with my co-workers to take pictures at about 7am (some of us had worked 60 hours last week to ensure this deal went smoothly from a technology perspective). I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly. Deal went through without a problem.

Had champagne in the morning, when the stock started trading, with my CEO. People went around just acknowledging everyone with the hard work they put in to get this done. Pretty great I found a place where that type of thing happens at a grand scale, you put in a lot of late-night hours and get rewarded properly.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Inspector_666 posted:

Also one of our clients has a spot on the floor and every time I've dealt with the in-house NYSE IT folks it's been a pleasure, are you there or at one of the big banks?

I actually work for a vendor that provides software to the big banks. We don't work in the secondary market, so not sure about IT at the NYSE, we're more focused on the roadshows, allocations, etc. that happen before the company goes public. I wasn't around for the Facebook IPO, but have heard it doesn't compare to the scale at which Ali Baba happened.

Also want to point out that IIS owns.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Oh drat, it's time for job appraisal season. Now I have to figure how to quantify my Agile skillset and "Connectedness" to justify a bonus!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

ElGroucho posted:

Do any of you belong to a professional organization that you would recommend to other IT people?

AA

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Alder posted:

hi

I want to work for IT but I hate college is it hopeless? I'm already 23 :sigh:

I have zero education in IT, zero certifications, and I manage servers for banks on Wall Street. (I did go to college though as a MechE).

My first job out of college, a co-worker of mine who was about 50 RECENTLY got into the IT field, after spending 20 or so years doing sales for auto parts. Seriously, anybody can get into IT. I've worked with other IT professionals who majored in Communications, English, you name it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I know how you feel insidius but drat just grow a backbone and get the gently caress out of there. You are going down a slope pretty drat quick and about to crash.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Yo just quit your job and take your girlfriend out to a nice steak dinner.

This goes for everybody.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

siggy2021 posted:

Unfortunately going out and getting another job at this point isn't an option. I somehow managed to stumble into an IT job at the mid-sized company I work for with no college education, no certs, and no background.

So far I'm doing well and the CIO loves me. I'm on track to get free certs, basically have the go-ahead to learn anything I want that we can use, and it's all really good and I feel really lucky.

So I have to learn SharePoint. Although after talks with the number 2 guy about it that might be getting shut down so we'll see.

Out of curiosity, what version of SharePoint do you have to support?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Any suggestions on how to handle career growth in a flat organization? I had to quit my last job because of doing too much generalist-type stuff, and not having a focus for a career path. Switched jobs, ended up being a lot better. However, management has started to flatten our department and merging some of the roles together. This also gave other departments the idea to dump some of their work onto us, permanently, and our department is gladly accepting these new responsibilities. Problem is, my team and I are at 100% utilization, and there is no talk of hiring new people to handle the additional work. I've voiced all these concerns to my manager, but he's new here and doesn't have the knowledge to say No to any of these requests. End of the day, we're getting additional work and taking on responsibilities out of our comfort zone (handling more long-term project work, and account management type things).

I, hired into an escalated support role, have started to cover some of the Tier 1 stuff on a rotating basis which is not at all why I took this job in the first place. My VP is calling this an "upskilling" effort but from my perspective it looks like "let's just dump all this work onto the Support department and let them figure it out."

There is a position above me, a much more highly technical position that doesn't really fit into the realm of Support that will still take me a year or two to reach. I've made my career path clear to get into this role, but now I don't even see myself having time to study or earn that position. I'm just hoping this job doesn't turn out to be like the last one. Aside from these recent changes, otherwise I like the work and can't really complain.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Anyone care to elaborate on this point?

Seniority doesn't necessarily mean you're the best or most knowledgeable employee in the department. The department I work in for example, I have been year for almost 2 years, and am working with people that have been here for 5-8 years. I'd have to say at this point I'm already at their level if not higher, in terms of troubleshooting and just general knowledge of the products. I've had to take over work from my co-workers because they just didn't have the skillset to do it. But now, do they deserve a "senior" position just because they've been here for a longer period of time? I think it all depends on expectations. I've noticed many departments will have their rockstars and their button-pushers. If my co-worker just comes into work and does the bare minimum, does he deserve equal pay as someone who goes above and beyond and does a lot more to help the department grow? If somebody wants to go up the ladder and get promoted, that should be encouraged. If someone just wants to come in and take care of the grunt work, that should be fine too. I have plenty of co-workers who do have no desire to get promoted and are just happy being settled down doing what they do, and I have no problem assigning grunt work to them so I can focus more on big projects/other things I'm interested in.

It's really up to management to get a holistic view of their departments, seeing what their employees want in the long-term, and designing a career path that fits. Otherwise you'll end up with a revolving door and the top talent will be the first to go.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2015

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

crunk dork posted:

What is the point of these types of questions? Is it just to see how the person digests a complex problem?

Yeah it's to see how you problem-solve, how you can creatively make assumptions and do the math. Also about knowing how to ask the right questions.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Oh man, that time of the year again. Need to fill out my self-appraisal. How do I say "gently caress management" in the nicest way possible?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

im on call this week and there are no planned upgrades or installs to our software or hardware :toot:

I feel different actually about being the on-call weekend guy. I can't really "go out" or take a day trip somewhere, so I'm sort of tied to home. I do it once a quarter, and I actually don't mind having work to do over the weekend and I try to schedule an upgrade or two to get done. Otherwise when I'm not on-call, I love my weekends and absolutely stay away from doing weekend work.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Just when I thought I was out, they git pull me back in.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Walked posted:

Hey everyone.

Define what devops means to you in two sentences or less

:munch:

"If you want a picture of DevOps, imagine a sysadmin's boot stamping on a developer's face - forever."

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Gave my notice last week. :toot:

Was working for a few years for a very toxic and systemically mismanaged fintech company. Glad to be getting out of finance. Just some of the dumb poo poo I experienced throughout the years:

• Layoffs every 6 to 9 months, entire departments are being cleaned out and jobs are shipped overseas. They just completed the 4th round of layoffs.
  • Client support is being transitioned to the business-side. All technical issues will now be handled by people with no technical skills and those who do not have a troubleshooting mindset. I feel sorry for the actual second and third tier support techs who are going to have to waste their time now with this bullshit.
  • No communication between the various IT departments. It's all politics, especially when you reach the managerial level. There are a lot of cases of verbal sparring. Not to mention a lot of managers desparately clinging on to their old ways of doing things while simultaneously inflating our technical debt.
  • An extremely poor executive team that has no vision and just shrug their shoulders at every problem that comes their way.

Pretty sure this company is slowly transforming into losing significant market share, and they'll use this as an excuse to shrink the # of products we have and thereby shrink the size of the company. They're constantly screwing over their employees, and people are quitting more and more frequently. gently caress 'em, glad I'm out.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2017

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Take your God drat PTO you fucks.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Here's a fun little question for you all: Of all the software you've ever supported in your life, what has been the worst? For me looking back, it has to be Documentum. So glad I never got into document management at my last job, it was absolute hell working with an outdated version and having to deal with lifecycles.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Groat sounds like a word Steve Brule would use, ya dingus

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I'm in the process of house hunting and I made the mistake of telling one of my coworkers during a conference call. "Oh you're going to buy a house?! Are you married? No? Well make sure you get at least 4 bedrooms for when you're married with kids!"

I uh...I think a 2 bedroom is enough for my cat and I thank you very much!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

redeyes posted:

Big trashcans are standard IT issue for catching plumbing leaks in the server room right?

They don't teach this at the academy just gotta learn it on the streets.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They custom built their own CRM database. They built their own front-end file explorer because they didn't know how to properly use active directory security groups. They just bought new servers that are self-designed whiteboxes, and they can't use them because nobody knows how to upgrade vsphere from 4 to 6.

What?

I find the ribbon bar annoying, LETS WRITE OUR OWN OPERATING SYSTEM! Budget please!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody used Azure’s managed MSSQL service? Very early days on moving a fairly lightly used LOB app database and front end servers into Azure, could do with knowing if it’s a poo poo show.

I like it and recommend PaaS on Azure whenever possible at work. I'm moving about half of our infrastructure into Azure and I'm hoping we get a lot of our sites up there first.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

cheque_some posted:

I have some experience with AWS, but I've just started looking at Azure, and took a training class. My initial impression is that Azure has a lot of really cool PaaS stuff that AWS doesn't have, but their IaaS is just kind of "eh".

What do you all think?

My co-workers are very against Azure because "Microsoft".

IaaS is fine. We've had ADFS, a DC, and some applications running in classic mode for years now without much issue. Azure works well for us because we're a Microsoft shop anyway, and with ASR it does a good enough job of moving physical servers and ESXi VMs into the cloud (Hyper-V being the easiest to move). If you can go the PaaS route (be wary of cost), definitely do it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
i don't wear jeans on Fridays, but I've compromised by wearing jorts twice a week

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Best quote:

quote:

We asked Eric Bailey, the creator of “Millennials to Snake People,” if he had anything to say about his work making it into the Grey Lady. “Computers were a mistake,” he replied.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Going through training and met a database admin fresh out of college. He didn't really know what an odba admin does. He very sure he's got one of the best jobs in the company though, and he's super excited to do database adminstration.

Sweet, sweet summer child. I'm not gonna tell him.

"Welcome to the wonderful world of Sybase."

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I've had to deal with Azure classic for a while and getting it to migrate to ARM has been a pain, but once all that's done Azure is pretty great (insanely easier if you know PowerShell). Migrating a classic VNet to a new ARM ExpressRoute was only a 4-line script.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
maybe I'll quit and become a typewriter janitor.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Ayy TLS 1.0 is out of compliance at the end of the month lets not work on this at all!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Tell business you need funds to upgrade all printers to be compatible with purple. Buy ultrawides for your department instead.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
We have something similar next week, doing Escape Room (which I've never done before but sounds fun) followed by Dave & Busters.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

An escape room with coworkers may end up with some dead coworkers.

This may happen. My first "team building" game I did at my company a few years back involved the creation of a free-standing structure. You're basically put into teams and given a bunch of objects that you have to use to build the tallest tower you can. Duct tape, cardboard paper roll, string, pipe cleaners, poo poo like that. The team I was on...of course they go the obvious route that a class of small children would try. Let's build it straight up!! The solution is so obvious we can't lose!!!! Needless to say I just stood there :ughh: while literally every other team had some sort of tower build and my team couldn't even get it up over a foot in height. I suspect we'll see the same at escape room.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
:siren: Surprise layoffs today!

A few people got sacked including some veterans who had been trying to coast for the past few years by doing the bare minimum. Nice severance packages apparently. Worst time ever to let people go since we're working on a large amount of projects.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
If you Segway into your job interview, make sure to wear a helmet. This way they know you take things like riding and safety seriously. Anyway that's my interview tip hope this helps!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Can anyone recommend a good on-call system that fits our criteria? To give some context we're a small group that is currently rotating individuals every week to be on call. We have a phone number that the company knows to call after-hours, which then forwards to the on-call person's cell. This hasn't been working out well at all due to turnover, plus having to be on-call kind of sucks for work/life balance. Given that we're a small group, we end up having to do it more frequently. My boss wants me to come up with a new solution, and what I came up with sounded good to him but we just need software that will handle this. We want to have a procedure like this:

1. User calls after-hours number for emergencies and leaves a voicemail with details about the issue.
2. Voicemail is then sent to everybody who works Tier 1 + a transcription emailed to Tier 1.
3. If Tier 1 does not acknowledge the message after X hours, it gets escalated to Tier 2.
4. If Tier 2 does not acknowledge after X hours it gets escalated to management, etc.

This way, on-call no longer resides with just a single person and gives us more time to respond.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I only wear jorts. This way I can show off my killer calves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

AnnoyBot posted:

Anyone else have a vesting schedule on their 401k match? My current job has that, which I'd never heard from before. If I leave before 4 years, I lose the unvested portion of matching funds.

Yup, I've had this for the past two jobs. I think my employer-match doesn't get fully vested until 5 years in.

Just to clarify, you shouldn't be losing YOUR funds. Whatever you invest is yours to keep in your 401k. You may want to double-check with your employer. In a 401k the employer-match funds are usually kept in a separate account which will become fully vested after an X amount of time depending on your company. If you leave prior to 4 years, the money that you've invested is still there and transferable to your next employer's 401K fund, however you won't get all of the matched contributions by your employer.