Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

This is probably a false association. You're seeing "big bucks" and associating it with Linux because Linux people are (broadly) harder to find, and the "big bucks/high responsibility" jobs in other specialties don't show up on your searches or are filled by direct recruitment.

Not sure if I am following you here, you're saying it's untrue but at the same time it's more difficult to find Linux people?

evol262 posted:

It's a totally different operating system, though. Forget about the stuff you asked about until you get a handle on using the shell, basic scripting, wrangling packages, configuring services/networking, etc. You've probably spent your whole life using Windows and knowing how to do this just came with the territory when you started using Windows Server. Linux is gonna be a very different experience.

Would RHCE/RHCSA training material cover this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

At my last gig I was responsible for a few enterprise applications that ran on SUN-SPARC and Intel Itanium. If you ever work at any big corporation there's gigantic amount of legacy applications that just can't be migrated to something more modern. I have no idea how much it would cost but management essentially poo poo bricks when they saw a quote and our revenue is over 100+ billion.

Now, at my current position half of my duties are IBM Power / IBMi focused. There are literally thousand of applications for tons of industries written in COBOL/RPG that just are more economic to maintain rather than migrate to Linux/x86. Maybe in the future IBMi will become depreciated but it's going to be around for a while...

I know that IBM is aggressively positioning Power to take on the Linux market. All the major vendors are on-board Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, etc but software developers are still hesitant. While many big corporations refuse to leave HP-UX/Intel Itanium eventually they're going to have too and there only options are migrate to Linux/x86, x86/Windows(lol) SUN-SPARC or IBM Power. Guess which two are cheaper?

I can't say if IBM's plan will work out but supposedly Power offers higher VM density vs x86 and a plethora things like hot-swappable PCI-Express Slot, RAM Memory Compression and I can't remember the term off-hand but there's feature where if a bank of memory or processor fails it'll immediately switch over to another bank or proc... Does this even exist in x86 land? Lastly, the only thing I hate about IBM is if you need to learn mainframe you're paying some education partner several thousand dollars for training, you can't go to a bookstore and study in your free time like you can for your MCSA/VCP/RHCSA...

Midrange talk aside, I got a quick resume question. I've almost been in IT almost a decade, should I put every IT job I've ever had or just the last three? I can't fit everything on one-page anymore :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

IBM's a strategic partner and all that, and I really like what they do, but we're gunning for ARM harder than POWER.

Can you even purchase ARM hardware or even let alone download a ARM Distribution? I'm hoping you'll link me to something :)

evol262 posted:

Unless I'm really mistaken, PCIe is hot pluggable everywhere. Higher VM density really depends (*PARs on AIX can get higher density, but the underpinnings of KVM are basically the same across platforms). It's higher density in the sense that newer POWER stuff is beefy as hell and has a ton of memory, and their virt extensions are a bit better. Dynamic bus repair is pretty hot, though I'm less sold on the memory expansion. I'd love to see it take off, but price, price, price is always POWER's problem.

The only circumstance where memory compression is worthwhile is when you've got more than a terabyte but it's not really useful for anyone else but I'd agree POWER isn't cheap but IBM is investing...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

The Olinuxino and Cubietruck are probably your best bets to play (<$100, SATA and KVM supported, Cubietruck also has eMMC and comes with serial and everything else you'd need). Fedora runs natively on both, along with probably Arch, Debian, and others. No aarch64 stuff I can point you at, but it's coming.

How come all the hardware comes in physical boards and not a complete unit? Or is that much in it's infancy?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Next question, when they ask about expected salary should I give a number? My first thought is to say something along the lines of "negotiable but my target is X."

Note, this is pre-interview.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut, how much weight do you put into references?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I haven't had a job that's lasted for more than a year in three years and the one before that was only two.

All of my jumps, not sure if I'm picking the right words - were career advancing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

One thing that's really stuck out to me about hiring practices is when you're interviewed with HR, upper-management but not your actual supervisor or any co-workers.

For some lower-level positions it's okay but otherwise it's a bad idea.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A t-shirt and jeans.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Totally bringing my parents Basset Hound to my next interview.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm in complete agreement with Dark Helmut and screw the stupid startup guy who said you should never wear a suit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm driving a '97 Nissan Maxima, it works but I'm thinking I'm going to wait until all my student loans are paid off.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

You're a smart person, definitely do that. I love my cars but they're a stupid as gently caress financial decision.

Heh, thank although a while back I put some tools in the side of my trunk. As I walking away from my car I noticed it was on the ground, which was weird did it just fly out of my trunk? I go back, look and there's a fist-sized hole from rust in my trunk :suicide:

I've been eyeing most entry-level German Cars and maybe the Acura ILX. I'm surprised so many high-end luxury cars have terrible crash test ratings, especially small-front overlap.

Question, when it comes to interviews how detailed should I be when discussing other companies? I've had a lot of experiences that have had a positive outcome for myself but don't necessarily reflect well on the companies or clients I've worked with - thoughts?

I obliviously don't want to be sued and I don't want to "badmouth" my previous employers, clients no matter how terrible their decisions, practices may have been...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 11, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd honestly prefer walking, biking, mass-transit over a car. Granted, I love driving, the autonomy of the automobile is appealing but leaving the stress of driving is even better.

Of course, that's only available in a handful of cities. I don't care for New York but maybe Portland/San Fran?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SaltLick posted:

If you have anything bad to say, say it first and have a "but" in the middle that contradicts what you just said and makes you look awesome.

"lovely manager fired three people before the dead line, but that allowed me to step up to the plate and really take charge with a smaller group which due to my leadership we were able to complete the task at hand"

Ah hah, that's the choice of words I am looking for...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Isn't it borderline illegal to have patient information on a legacy O/S? I know it is for banks, unless you have an extended-extended support contract with Microsoft like JPMorgan has...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well, yea if a client doesn't upgrade then that's there deal but if they get audited... :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Tonight is the first production code deployment in over two years that I am not a part of.

Until you get paged :devil:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Apple's high-end desktops have always been extraordinarily expensive. I think - a decade ago - there was a lot of graphic design software that was only available or simply worked better on OS X but I don't think that's the case any longer.

The rest of Apple's hardware line is pretty solid otherwise...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mayodreams posted:

I'd love nothing more than for Apple to relax their stance on running OS X on a hypervisors, and allow it to run on ESXi on non-Apple hardware. It is not like they are selling poo poo loads of Mac Mini Servers, and the benefits would be much greater to running OS X and iOS in the enterprise.

I think it's weird how OS X is presented as an OS option in vSphere/Esxi... Does it even work?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone without a degree hit any stumbling blocks? Or actually have been denied a position because they didn't have a degree?

I haven't had any problems... So far...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The past conversation is excellent and but I do not want have to go back to college :ohdear:

Not sure how the rest of the thread feels but an Associate's from a reputable Community College (not some random online one) will put you a good position without mountains of debt.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the difference between internal IT and Ops?

Sounds the same to me...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Anecdotally, I've heard that Google actually looks at incomplete degrees in a more negative light than no degree for this reason - they want you to demonstrate that you can finish what you start.

I personally know two people who I would consider solid candidates who were told to finish their degree and then apply again, but I also know people with no degree who hold similar roles to the jobs being interviewed for.

A lot a major companies will flat-out refuse to hire anyone with "water-downed" degrees - DeVry,University of Phoenix, etc

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Is this a regional thing or did you mean "watered-down?"

It's an iPhone/doing 30 things at once/ADD thing :P

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's weird how some companies require degrees and others do not. My cities local hospital requires a one for nearly every IT-Position yet browsing both Google's and Apple's positions there are quite a few that specify bachelors or equivalent experience.

EDIT - I largely agree with evol's posts, a degree while isn't absolutely needed it only makes your career easier. If I could go back in-time I wouldn't have majored in Political Science but probably MIS or a 2-year technical degree.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My life is way too stressful...

How would you handle this... You're suppose to do a major system upgrade yet the client has expressed a lack in confidence surrounding planning but your supervisor is pushing for it anyway, what do you do?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Pushing poo poo through without planning is how the big Sidekick Data Outage happened.

I just read that and I don't even want to think about was said on that outage conference call...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Had two Microsoft employees come in and train 5 of us who were relatively new to Exchange earlier this week. We had two days of training, plus we had a lab that was built for us to play in. Pretty cool experience and I actually picked up quite a bit from the class. Anyways we were chatting during a break and one of the trainers mentioned that there were a huge number of Microsoft employees who actually had teaching degrees after someone had asked what kind of education requirements MS had for employees. There was even one person, he told us, who had quit his practice as a neurosurgeon to work for Microsoft. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.

When I was working for a vendor, our previous SharePoint Trainer who's now an SharePoint Architect has degree in psychology.

The world is interesting place.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jim truds posted:

Nothing that extreme, no one is sitting in their office cackling about all the poor people they are keeping from getting jobs.

Yea, there's no vast conspiracy :tinfoil: but trying to imagine it in my head is hilarious.

Keep them poors of them computers. :smuggo:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if they make you sign some kind of wavier - employee must remain here for X amount of days or foot the bill for training.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Drink for the following terms:

Synergy
Paradigm shift
Low hanging fruit
Going forward
Outside the box
Let's pull up offline
It is what it is

My list is probably a bit dated, feel free to add your own.

My personal favorite "Feel free to ping me offline" which essentially means "talk to me in-person". :lol:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sepist posted:

My coworker has been bugging me for a linkedin recommendation for a while now since endorsements are pretty much bullshit, finally caved and made this one. I think I did a pretty good job.

That's really good, mind if I barrow it? :haw:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Eh, I'm rail thin because I have an awesome metabolism but probably should work out :haw:

If anything, I need to start cooking at home. Eating out all the time is a huge waste of money, even if you have the money.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 20, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There are an enormous amount of companies that refuse to use any cloud services. Security being their absolute first priority. Then features - not every On-Premise feature works in the cloud but cost is also something that surprises a lot of people.

If you're dealing with just a hundred users - Exchange Online is potentially a good email solution however once you start hitting a few hundred, or a thousand it's not so tempting.

Exchange Online Plan 2 - $8.00 for each user per month.

500 Users is $8x500 = 4000 or $48,000 per year. If you've got that many users you've probably already have decent hardware, Full-Time-Employees. I can't speak for exact Exchange Licensing but it's comparable. Once you start looking at even bigger deployments, the SLAs for Exchange Online are often not sufficient. Microsoft will certainly offer some kind of guarantee but it's not going to be as affordable.

Lastly, the service is merely hosted and you still need to manage it. You might not need to know how to install Exchange but you're going to need to know how to manage it. Not everything you want to do is in a nice GUI either and you'll need to have somewhat decent understanding of Powershell.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not necessarily. About 4 or 5 years ago we moved from GroupWise to Exchange and I can count on one hand how many times I had to use Powershell, and that was only to get a report of mailbox sizes.

It's not something that would necessarily be done everyday but I imported users from an existing environment with a csv, adjusted password policies, mass-reset passwords.

Larger environments probably see a ton of PS use. Someone with bigger Exchange background should probably chime in here...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 20, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yup, but I'm more of adding onto what Evol explained earlier. You didn't necessarily need to know Powershell before but now it's nearly a requirement for Windows Administration.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there any credibility that the demand for software is infinite?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Groupwise and Lotus are still enormously huge products, or product-lines if you will. Plenty of big corporations still use them and there's still active development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

To me, the point is that it's so obvious yet people still don't do it, so it's still worth highlighting.

Agreed, sometimes you need to see things on paper not just in your head.