Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell do you guys get let alone find gigs that offer 5-weeks of PTO? Or even get it approved to be able to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

air- posted:

Been on the lookout for professional services/consulting type gigs, and found out about a company moving their HQ from San Diego to Dallas. I've got my in person interview coming up and the HR contact told me expect salary of 35-40k for a job that has 75%+ travel.

I'm having a hard time believing that's a serious answer, so I will see what the actual consultants have to say. My initial reaction is that is way, WAY low, even for Texas. I am going through culture shock at my current job, but that salary range has to be well below market rate.

Consulting for what? Printer installation or some Linux HA Application?

It does sound low but we need more details...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's a rather vague posting. Yes, you need to have "strong troubleshooting skills" but what are you troubleshooting? A bunch of beep codes or are you looking at java logs?

If anything, I'd say at least $45k/y+ and they better be putting you in a decent hotel and all expenses paid.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the environment? I bet we could spec it out really quick :smug:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

RE: improving help desk metrics

When I was on helpdesk we would have hundreds ( thousands?) of tickets a day.

The metrics used were: first call resolution, time spent in aftercall, ticket accuracy, schedule adherence. That was it. No time spent on the phone, no # of tickets.

All the deskjockeys were then ranked daily by their metrics. The reward for being at the top was getting to choose your schedule for the next rotation.

I liked how transparent the metrics were. But I'm glad I got the gently caress out.

I used to be on a tech support helpdesk and absolutely every single metric you could possibly imagine was recorded and critiqued. No matter how well you did there was always room for improvement which was just excruciating aggravating.

Curious, to those that have had positions like this did you get to see your own statistics? I was never told why but we weren't allowed to anyone's, an average or even our own. Maybe a manager can chime in, is there a good reason for this? I would have like to have known how well I was performing...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sarcasmatron posted:

Proactive Butthurt Mitigation.

Butthurt from what?

I could see not sharing everyone's statistics but not be able to my own? Eh...

EDIT - Personally, I kind of feel it would be wise to run your call center like Moneyball. Tech's should see their stats, know what they're good at where there's room for improvement.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 27, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

We don't really have a lot of those here (in BC, not sure about Alberta where that dude is from) and the few we have are pretty sketchy and lovely, and if you go to one of them they're not usable for transfer credit to a real school.

In the States, many of the two-year associate degree colleges are flaky diploma mills. It can be difficult to tell the difference between what's legit and what isn't especially when places like the University of Phoenix spend multi-millions on advertising against totally legitimate but very small local community colleges. They don't have a fancy campus, trendy commercials but they're accredited by the state which is what really counts.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't think most HR Departments or Recruiters would throw your resume aside if they saw a title that wasn't sufficient. At some point everyone goes from Help Desk Technician to System Administrator.

Sarcasmatron posted:

Who I'm reporting to, and the quality of that relationship, is the single largest factor in my job satisfaction.

This and having one primary supervisor not a dozen.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In other news,

Oregon AG: "Oracle sold the State of Oregon a lie."

Statesmen Jorunal posted:

Oracle committed fraud and racketeering, breached contracts, and made a series of false claims in its dealings with the State of Oregon's Cover Oregon website project, according to the lawsuit filed Friday morning by Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum's office.

The complaint alleges the technology company repeatedly failed to deliver on its obligations, overcharged for "poorly trained Oracle personnel to provide incompetent work," hid the true extent of its "shoddy performance," continued to make promises it could not keep and "willfully" refused to honor is warranty to fix errors without charge.

In total, Oracle's false claims cost the state an "extraordinary" $240,280,008, Rosenblum said.

The complaint offers a scathing assessment of Oracle's work.

It accuses Oracle of lying to the state from the very beginning—lying about its ability to meet Oregon's IT needs, lying about its products being "flexible" and "integrated," lying about its programs needing little customization.

"Oracle sold the State of Oregon a lie," it says.

I knew Oracle was always kind of sketchy but drat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I guess it sort of depends where you are on the pay scale but if you could get the new and keep the old for only 20 hours it would work out.

There's also free food, :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't see any kind of SMB or Enterprise Networking thread but does anyone have experience with Gate Protect Firewalls? We're having a problem where we're getting a tiny fraction of our up/down 50mbit bandwidth and not even GP-Support can figure it out.

It was working a few weeks ago without a problem. :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Let's talk about lovely office buildings. They've added on to this building like 3 times. Mystery light switches, wiring this place with new CAT6 is a nightmare. Brand new chair with 80's carpet that's missing a huge strip and then a 80's desk that got hit by a car or something because it's so warped and bent the drawers won't even close.

DON'T TRIP ON THE WIRES!

Yea, I've been in the same situation but that honestly looks like a potential fire hazard...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Didn't we just have a few pages over how IT Titles are essentially meaningless?

My official title is Senior System Administrator but that doesn't mean I'd be apply to simply move to another employer and get the average salary of $75,000 per year. To make a decent judgement we'd need to know your actual day-to-day activities.

Second, I wouldn't be putting any actual big purchases on my own credit card such as a server but I regularly float a grand or two of company expenses on my personal credit card since I travel quite a bit. It's never been a problem, I pay them off before any interest and you can get some free stuff that isn't junk like airline miles and $50 giftcards to all sorts of stores.

We actually had company CC's at one point but the sales guys kept buying booze with them :ha:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

most insane people of them all: C-level clients.

I have no idea how anyone is able to do this in the first place, still maintain employment and their sanity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Called back on that job offer and insisted on $70k base. They balked, I walked. They took the time to give me a lecture on how anyone who comes to work at a startup needs to prove themselves and I'm all like nigga please, do you think I'm fresh out of college? They just secured $25m in funding and work in Class A office space in the middle of Boston.

Did you call them out on their bullshit? I've had some interesting conversations and with the hiring managers it usually goes along the lines of "I understand you want a significant compensation but the economy these days..."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd probably save tons if I cooked at home but I live right in middle of downtown.

It's hard to say no when it's only a minute of walking to good pizza,burgers,beer,tacos,etc...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Just a trend I've noticed, no one cooks anymore.

Eh, sort of...

It's a social thing too and sometimes I just want to get out of the office.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

We have two large locations that have their own I.T. staff. One has its own I.T. Manager and two guys, the other place has a phone guy and an I.T. support person. They report to their site VPs. Over the years my various bosses have tried to strong-arm me into providing "oversight" of these two teams without giving me the Director title and more pay. Each time I bring up getting the appropriate title they hem and haw and talk about my basically doing what they want first and then maybe they'll make the change, as if I haven't already proven I know how to do this drat job well.

Today the VP overseeing those two sites tells me that there have been numerous prolonged network outages, bad enough that people have been getting sent home early. I haven't heard any of this, and pointed out that since none of these people report to me it makes sense that I wouldn't have been notified. He's trying to work me back into that gray area where I somehow need to know about this and provide feedback or take action to resolve things.

After over three years of pushback from my many bosses on giving me the appropriate title and compensation for this additional responsibility I'm not giving in now. Perhaps this is the situation that will make it clear to them that if they want my skills applied they need to do the right thing. Or maybe they'll just can me. I think they just spin a wheel of fortune to make these decisions.

This got glanced over but...

If you refuse the promotion, you stay where you are and nothing changes.

If you accept the promotion you don't get the title or salary increase but despite this your for all intents and purposes a manager.

Your no longer a tech responsible for just some system or whatevers in your ticket que but an entire IT Infrastructure - which is essentially the business because we all know how important IT is...

If things go well, you can go to your supervisor and prove to them how you've prevented outages and helped make whatever systems more efficient. Then you're totally open to demanding the appropriate title and compensation.

Of course, they may bullshit you but you're still technically a manager. That's when you start applying for other IT Management positions. Granted, it may be difficult with your title but a carefully worded Cover Letter or interview conversation explaining your circumstance may just open the right door.

If you want to be even more methodical, get all buddy-buddy with your techs. When you quit, tell where you're going and open positions :evil:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What is pre or posts sales anyhow?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does anyone work with any document imaging products? Square 9, iDatix, FileBound...

Holy hell, I need a new job :smithicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

We use Kofax and EMC ApplicationXtender.

They're okay, I guess.

My problem is the training and general documentation is atrocious.

To make matter worse sales told my supervisor that'd it'd be easily to implement after I got :airquote:certified:airquote: through their training which mostly consisted of the instructor going back and forth between development trying to figure out why we couldn't the program to work on anyone's laptop and half the class bitching about Obamacare.

I was surprised the training was only a few days and I asked the instructor how on earth we were expected to be able install with so little instruction. He flat up told me it's geared towards 1st level support and only in-house techs implement the product due to the complexity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A whiteboard and a marker are the best things ever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yea, the evaluation version of 2012 R2 I think lasts an incredible 180 days until it expires. It's free for basically anyone.

On another topic, may anyone recommend a interview prep book? I haven't interview in years and I don't want to bomb a new gig.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

You can get an Eval Edition of RHEL too, granted it's only 30-days :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Hey all, could I get a value check on this IBM Series i5?

We currently have it listed as a public surplus item in Massachusetts if anyone is interested :ssh: It's about to go for a criminally low price if it's worth what I think it is

Last I checked, about a grand or so... If someone buys it they could still call IBM and get software and hardware maintenance.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

And take showers on a regular basis with soap...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My boss came into my office yesterday and told me I get to go to IBM Enterprise 2014! :krad:

I'm totally stoked, if anyone wants to meet up and grab a few drinks let me know. I love beer and it tastes that much better when IBM pays for it :guinness:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've never been to a official event and while I'm mostly focusing on the hardware and IBMi side of things I'm totally going to try to get into as many Linux ones a possible. Both Red Hat and Canonical have booths and there's an event explicitly titled "What can Power Do that Intel can’t?".

When I get back I'll throw up a short summary of the whole week.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

You're probably going to run into a lot of stupid procedures or ways of doing things that are obviously inefficient or costing the company money or something that you have the perfect solution for. Ignore the impulse to try and fix these things, and just do the job you were brought in to do. Nobody likes the new guy coming in and telling them how wrong they're doing everything, even if it's the truth (especially if it's the truth).

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm going to disagree with this. :words:

There's some truth to both of these lines of thought but I think in most circumstances it's better to at least initially bite your tongue. As always, you'll come across plenty of things that are inefficient but improving them is often much more difficult than it appears.

If you are going to attempt to make a change be sure to be tactful. Nobody wants to hear "Whoever wrote this script had no idea what they're doing". Don't throw your boss, co-workers or even previous employees under the bus. If you had a time machine and went back to whenever what was implemented 99.999% of the time you'd find they're overworked, underpaid just as much as everyone else and did the best they could under the circumstances. Second, before you start re-inventing the wheel be sure that your primary duties are completed as that's priority number one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Drinks on Zero VGS :guinness:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Agreeing with just about all of the above. Take the high road and salvage the reference, managerial refs are worth their weight in gold if you ever find yourself stuck without a gig.

And if you can bill them back while consulting, it's a win/win.

Should add this to the OP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Quick networking question,

I am a little confused how TCP/UDP Ports work. I understand that TCP is "smart" and UDP is "dumb" but I don't understand when it comes to inbound/outbound and the randomly generated port number.

For example, if I have a host computer that attempts to access a server across a separate network. It will use a specific port for the outbound and always(?) randomly generated number for inbound. Is this accurate?...

Basically, you could theoretically have a web server (port 80) on a network that could be reachable via the internet and locally but you could block your users from accessing any HTTP resources outside of the WAN by blocking 80.

Am I getting this?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it always going to use a random port number for the incoming connection?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

:words:

Is it outlandish for me to request this access? Can I really screw up that much with read-only access in a testing environment? We had a rep from the software vendor here for a few days and the reports he was able to pull from our database were full of useful information. I'd love to be able to do that.

It is a hospital and there's a probably a ton of red-tape for a variety of good and not so good reasons but that said...

Discuss it with your co-workers and your supervisor(s) not over an im, email but in person. Show them how it makes you more efficient but try to translate this into a dollar amount.

When your supervisor takes this up the chain of command he has ammunition aside from "Welp, it makes peoples job easier" as "We could save the company money" is much more effective.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

How long did it take you guys from applying to finally land an interview or a job? I'm beginning to think I might have something wrong with my resume because I'm not hearing back from anyone, or I'm just impatient which is also a good possibility. 😅

If it's a big corporation, be prepared to sweat out for a bit over a month.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

I've put in for a lot of spots independently and worked through recruiters for some too. When using recruiters does it expedite or complicate the process normally?

Ask the recruiter.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

As an SQL novice, what are the chances that I'd accidentally write a query using READ-ONLY access and bring down the database? That was the reasoning I received today when I denied by our application manager, even when I told him it was the training database and not production. So, I've asked three different parties and have been stone-walled. Which sucks because I really want to become proficient in SQL to pick up a new skill, plus be more marketable. PLUS our entire team depends on two people for anything involving databases, HOSPITAL WIDE, and one of them is out for 2 weeks due to a medical issue.

I realize this is a minor issue and I enjoy the people I work with but it is a bit annoying. I feel like they are stifling my professional growth. And at a certain point, that might become an incentive to look elsewhere.

I suppose you could accidentally write a query that would return the entire database and that could potentially slow things to a crawl.

I did this once in production :lol:

We really need a DBA to chime in here...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Could someone explain to me why a select * from table could potentially hose a whole database? Yea it could lock individual rows but once it's returned it's unlocked and occurs extremely quick.

What's the actual technical limitation here?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Hardware resources. A query like that on a huge multi-million row table could peg the CPU and/or disks for minutes, making it an effective, if inadvertent, denial-of-service attack.

What's the correct way to return an entire table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Left work early today to tour the systems at the new job. The IT guy showing me around had an incredibly thick accent and I could only get the gist of what he was saying. They run Active Directory from a Microsoft Managed cloud, no servers on-site whatsoever except a VoIP system called Shortel. He told me they need a ticket system and I said I could set up Spiceworks, then he asked me if I can run it off-site and if it would run on Linux.

I find it a little hard to believe they have nothing on-site, how are they authenticating to whatever's hosted? I'd be a little surprised if they aren't on a domain, but maybe they aren't.

The shoretel server is just managing the phones which is mostly easy if it's already setup. I don't know a know lot about spiceworks other than it's quite popular.