Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cyks posted:

The first thing to point out to the company should be that a company with 1000 employees paying an MSP for a dedicated helpdesk employee is just pissing away money.

Wait... what? It totally depends on the company, their business and the level of technology utilized. Sometimes, it's incredibly attractive to outsource the T1/T2 helpdesk while the company has a few senior staff to handle the big stuff. Or sometimes it's even flipped where is just an IT Manager but everything is just outsourced.

It really, really depends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cyks posted:

Most of the time when outsourcing helpdesk it’s to a pool of employees who provide support to multiple different companies though. If the MSP has a specific employee that’s 40 hours dedicated to just one company I can’t see how that would be cheaper or better for the company than having that employee internal to them.

Why not? There's management, HR, etc. and potentially tons of overhead. Sometimes you just need tech to run and it's easy for a company to literally just hire another one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How long is this Google event going on for as I am as in Vegas. Is it free?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No, but you are not missing anything

drat, if anyone's around town but I'd be up for a :guinness:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question for the thread, when a job advert says they want an Expert, SME or someone with a solid understanding of X, Y and Z. What level of depth is expected during the interview? And how hard do you expect them to hit the ground running on the first day? For example, in Active Directory do you really want me to be able to explain each FMSO role in detail? When I open a Powershell terminal, do you expect me to just know the commands to do whatever to a domain controller off the top of my head?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That greatly depends on who is interviewing you and whether it's a MSP. A MSP will want you to know random rear end 169.254 reserved IPs used in a bad DHCP exchange for a "windows SME" as well as FSMO roles; enterprise could give a poo poo. A MSP will want you to hit the ground running so you are profitable without training.

You have some responsibility to deflect those kind of questions however. Asking for what kind of problems you will be solving and talking through how you would approach them, including "I'd ask jives." Soooo many people just do not do research.

What if it's not a MSP but some huge F500 or a large consulting firm?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 11, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The larger the company, the more specialized your knowledge should be for any role with a specific technology. If you're applying to a 50k person company or a large consulting firm that works with 50k person companies and they say they are looking for an AD SME, they are going to want someone who knows AD quite well.

That's fair but my question is as to what depth exactly? What would expect if you where hiring for someone on your team?

I'm trying to think of an example but if it's an AD Expert do you really want to memorize certain commands as task? I know there some situations where you've got to use tools like DSQuery over PowerShell or ADUC but gently caress if I know the exact circumstances or the commands off the top of my head but give a minute and I'm sure I'd figure it pretty quick.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The crux of my questions is kind of a nebulous "I know you want an expert, but how much of an expert?" but what you've said does help and I should probably add stuff like that to my resume. :stonklol:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

AD SME with a large corporation here

What we look for is deep understanding of how AD works. It's not hard to use AD, manage users, groups, GPO's, things like that. We have a team of 11 Senior level "engineers" managing our extremely busy and heavily used AD environment most of us have north of 15 years experience. We run into things at our scale that most folks don't have to worry about.

Interview questions usually revolve around explaining the various FSMO roles and their importance. How things like RID pools work, troubleshooting replication issues, what happens if a domain controller dies and can't be demoted properly. Some of the guys on my team do some trivia style questions. I prefer open ended questions about any sort of odd issues with AD they ever ran into. Things like Kerberos double hop, Kerberos token size limitation, troubleshooting high load, powershell automation, etc.

Our interviews are actually pretty short. 30 to 45 minutes for the technical part, just want to get a feel for someone that knows what they're talking about and has a deeper level of understanding about AD than most. That's plenty of time for us to sus out if someone knows their poo poo or not. No one is going to walk in the door and hit the ground running, so we worry about foundational knowledge more than anything. They're going to have to learn the way we do things here anyway.

Good post, I almost completely forgot about AuthN issues but I haven't touched that in years.

Personally, I'm angling for a standard or Senior IAM Engineer position with Entra ID. Not sure you if you are anyone works in that world but I think I'm pretty well versed with the platform but goddamn sometimes senior engineers blow my head off with their knowledge of SAML or OIDC but I don't get how they know these things without extensive experience.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

So it's like that Farmers' Insurance commercial. "We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two". You just run into weird poo poo over the years, or crazy edge cases, stuff like that you pick up along your career.

This is going to sound crazy, but I don't actually manage the data inside our AD environment. Our IAM Teams handle that. We just make sure the domain controllers are healthy, maintained and running properly. It kinda sucks because I'm 3 years removed from dealing with Entra ID, and other Modern Auth stuff that I used to do at my last company. I try to stay up to speed on my own, but being pigeonholed supporting a legacy service like Active Directory probably isn't the best career move and I need to start looking at moving to a full time role in a modern IAM or Auth stack. They keep talking about wanting to move away from AD, but haven't come up with a solution for the thousands of apps we support that use LDAP or Kerberos. Any given minute of the day the pool of LDAP dc's are servicing 8,000 + queries a second. I'll retire in 22 years before we ever get rid of AD.

Good reply,

I am at a point where I am pretty good at my job because I've been doing this for over a decade and for some very, very big customers. My last projects was divesture for 100k users splitting domains/tenants, 1,000+ SaaS Application migration and then just helping a client get everything setup in Azure (PIM,MFA,CA,etc. Landing Zone, etc.) but in a gov tenant. I feel like I sort of got pigeonholed too because I know quite a bit about the insides of the Entra ID Connect sync. engine, the relationship between Office 365, Entra ID, Intune, etc. but now I'm getting asked what do I know about SAML or OIDC? Too tell you truth, I don't that much off the top of my head but it's a web based AuthN protocol and I feel at this point in my career I'll just learn fast - because that's just what I've done for the past decade? Hell, I didn't know anything how Quests tool for the migration project I was on earlier but I was able to communicate with their engineer to coordinate everything. I just read their docs and made my own small lab. :shrug:

I feel like the only thing that's left more me aside from applying :f5: is to get more certs but is there such as thing as a all encompassing identity certification? is there something that'll give me a seal of approval with Kerberos, SAML, OIDC and SCIM? Or do I start getting things like the CISSP, CISM, CISA, SANS, Security+, etc.? Should I just say gently caress it and make my own SAML App or IdP and learn the whole spec?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 18, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Houston is okay but it's still Texas which with a lot of good and a lot of bad. I'm also getting into the bind where it's looking like I am going to have to re-locate. It really, really sucks but I can't seem to pick up anything in California or Vegas. I don't know what it is but Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey and Atlanta are pretty hot markets with recruiters harassing me but I'm a West Coast person.... so :shrug:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've seen massive 10,000+ user companies literally block and ban PowerShell. The reason? Someone broke something really big once and now everything is done manually.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm so glad freaking faxes and other telephony technology are finally loving gone. That stuff might have worked in the 1990s office but goddamn that stuff was unreliable and notoriously difficult to troubleshoot.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

Everyone has a price, for enough money/perks people will commute to an office

On a related subject, any central New Jersey goons? How much should I ask for the jump and they want me onsite everyday. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's a clever way to get layoffs without doing it officially.

Edit - To be completely transparent, Dell has never had that great of a reputation when it comes to employee pay, benefits, etc. This does not surprise me.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 9, 2024