Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah maybe they break even on operational costs, but the initial investment probably has them way in the hole and if they need any more they'll just dip right back into those town coffers

it's cool how this is the point at which you start arguing against hypotheticals instead of facts

also why the gently caress is evrybody allergic to capital expenses

god

just build poo poo and let the finance people sort it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

uh yeah we invented it and also we have ICANN so get used to it bub

lmao at some fuckin foreigners thinkin they can just roll up into our internet, paid for with our taxes and sit down at the grownups table

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

it's cool how this is the point at which you start arguing against hypotheticals instead of facts

also why the gently caress is evrybody allergic to capital expenses

god

just build poo poo and let the finance people sort it out

well the list of government projects in the black is so long and we're running on these huge surpluses so idk where I got the idea it would be a mismanaged pile of taxpayer debt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

read the drat article. they buy the gas wholesale, add enough to the price to cover the cost of running the station, and sell the gas for what turns out to be less than the local private stores. the station pays for itself.

also its important to realize that its effectively a tourist town for lake cumberland so all the tax revenue should be from gouging out of towners

this is what the gas stations were trying to do by colluding on pricing it 30 cents above neighboring counties. unfortunately this pissed off the townies who did this.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

if ur on the side of the tech companies and net neutrality proponents then ur wrong

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

well the list of government projects in the black is so long and we're running on these huge surpluses so idk where I got the idea it would be a mismanaged pile of taxpayer debt

yeah, it's a shame that "government" is an actual physical creature and not composed of human beings who can be voted into or out of office

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, it's a shame that "government" is an actual physical creature and not composed of human beings who can be voted into or out of office

ya it is

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

let ISPs do what they want we can't afford a new network anyway. we need to put at least 75% revenue into the military unless u all want to be russian slaves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

no it's a giant building with arms and legs made of humans strapped together which roams the countryside and eats free markets

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i wonder if shaggar submits his best posts to the fcc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

yea that is a shame

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no it's a giant building with arms and legs made of humans strapped together which roams the countryside and eats free markets

i would be okay with my tax dollars funding this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bump

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

six months huh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I live in Philadelphia so my Comcast service is great and generally very needs suiting.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

Student Lending comes to mind.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

well its a good thing that government debt is a surplus for private enterprise

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
:ohdear: did the minorities ever get their slow lanes?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

The Management posted:

no google is building out on the other side of the tracks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

http://www.internetessentials.com

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hey, $10/mo for 5mb/1mb internet service could be just fine for a small family with non-technical women and/or children

and it sets the speed right to where online streaming netflix/etc is gonna suck and not be realistic to do, so, better upgrade that to include Xfinity TV.

while you're at that, have you heard of the Triple Play? Let's get you a landline too. What do you mean you dont need a landline? Ok well what if your cell is out of battery? Ok well what if the power is out? Cmon if you do the triple play we'll give you a locked-in low rate for 6 months! JESUS CHRIST *throttles by neck* JUST TAKE THE TRIPLE PLAY OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL PUT YOUR DOG IN THE MICROWAVE

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

hey, $10/mo for 5mb/1mb internet service could be just fine for a small family with non-technical women and/or children

do u have to have past comcast debt for this?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i'm the $1000+ bike pictured in the splash art for poor people internet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

Ok well what if the power is out?

then the "landline" won't work either

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

then the "landline" won't work either

yes it will. by law it has to have a battery backup in the cable modem/voip component so if power is out you can still reach E911

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

yes it will. by law it has to have a battery backup in the cable modem/voip component so if power is out you can still reach E911

comcast was skimping on those as of late iirc

there's a slot but you have to get your own battery

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

computer parts posted:

comcast was skimping on those as of late iirc

there's a slot but you have to get your own battery

yeah when they gave me my modem it had no battery installed

also it was the wrong modem for my service

also i told them i already had my own modem and didn't need it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sniep posted:

tell that to time warner as my parent's voip modem still has no battery unless they buy it themselves.

also in tyool 2014 they were finally told that they have an alternative to time warner: at&t finally offers 6/0.5 mbps dsl on their street for $50 a month. for an extra $30 you can even bundle it with an old landline that still has the concept of long distance charges and local toll calls.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
maybe they don't have to supply the battery, just the capability? weird.

i dont deal with any consumer poo poo so it might be buried in the rental for hte modem that the renter is contractually obligated to get a bettery for it and do that side of maintenance on the customer side of the demarc (i guess the battery is the CPE side?)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it probably boils down to shipping weights and/or battery-related hazmat regulations tbqh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just installed my own modem because I didn't want to participate in their "free upgrade" to one of their awful wireless routers that they piggyback their "free wifi" [for customers] service onto and the woman that helped me had to do the big sales pitch at the end and I felt bad for her

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got the modem from the company and i wasn't willing to pay for the router modem because i already had a router and the plain modem was still docsis 3 so what's the difference? they told me i would not be able to do wireless networking without the router modem and i was like "right, i know, sure". they said "this is for one computer only, you need the networking package (a more expensive one) to use it with more than one computer" and again i said sure whatever.

so i got the modem and guess what -- it has some idiot hell fucker java-based provisioning software that you have to run on your computer to "set it up", and after that the modem only responds to the MAC address that the software sent it. so if you set it up on your laptop it will not function when plugged into any other computer , or an external router. unbelievable lovely racketeering.

i spoofed the router's mac with the mac i used for the setup and it has worked perfectly fine from then on, only took like 30 seconds, but aaaaaagh i can't believe they even try this poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

i got the modem from the company and i wasn't willing to pay for the router modem because i already had a router and the plain modem was still docsis 3 so what's the difference? they told me i would not be able to do wireless networking without the router modem and i was like "right, i know, sure". they said "this is for one computer only, you need the networking package (a more expensive one) to use it with more than one computer" and again i said sure whatever.

so i got the modem and guess what -- it has some idiot hell fucker java-based provisioning software that you have to run on your computer to "set it up", and after that the modem only responds to the MAC address that the software sent it. so if you set it up on your laptop it will not function when plugged into any other computer , or an external router. unbelievable lovely racketeering.

i spoofed the router's mac with the mac i used for the setup and it has worked perfectly fine from then on, only took like 30 seconds, but aaaaaagh i can't believe they even try this poo poo

lol that sounds illegal somehow

possibly in many different ways

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

thank you for confirming that $60 on amazon was money well spent

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

lol that sounds illegal somehow

possibly in many different ways

i'ts basically the same as the phone companies charging extra for tethering your phone to your computer and i imagine they'd justify it the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

wow

• Locked thread