Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i got the modem from the company and i wasn't willing to pay for the router modem because i already had a router and the plain modem was still docsis 3 so what's the difference? they told me i would not be able to do wireless networking without the router modem and i was like "right, i know, sure". they said "this is for one computer only, you need the networking package (a more expensive one) to use it with more than one computer" and again i said sure whatever.

so i got the modem and guess what -- it has some idiot hell fucker java-based provisioning software that you have to run on your computer to "set it up", and after that the modem only responds to the MAC address that the software sent it. so if you set it up on your laptop it will not function when plugged into any other computer , or an external router. unbelievable lovely racketeering.

i spoofed the router's mac with the mac i used for the setup and it has worked perfectly fine from then on, only took like 30 seconds, but aaaaaagh i can't believe they even try this poo poo

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bonus points for the java

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah mac address binding is common v0v

that java app is annoying tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i got the modem from the company and i wasn't willing to pay for the router modem because i already had a router and the plain modem was still docsis 3 so what's the difference? they told me i would not be able to do wireless networking without the router modem and i was like "right, i know, sure". they said "this is for one computer only, you need the networking package (a more expensive one) to use it with more than one computer" and again i said sure whatever.

so i got the modem and guess what -- it has some idiot hell fucker java-based provisioning software that you have to run on your computer to "set it up", and after that the modem only responds to the MAC address that the software sent it. so if you set it up on your laptop it will not function when plugged into any other computer , or an external router. unbelievable lovely racketeering.

i spoofed the router's mac with the mac i used for the setup and it has worked perfectly fine from then on, only took like 30 seconds, but aaaaaagh i can't believe they even try this poo poo

free market bitch

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

lmao

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
a cable company claimed they needed to send a technician out to change the mac filtering so it would let my new cable modem. i just berated and mocked the manager over the phone until they agreed it was stupid to charge me 60 euro and send a technician to my place to do nothing. i even think i got a discount. moral of the story: be horrible to customer service and good things happen.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'ts basically the same as the phone companies charging extra for tethering your phone to your computer and i imagine they'd justify it the same way

Lol, look at all these lawyers, bring it bitch?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ugh....................................

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

the att breakup lead to a fragmentation of technology that probably set the telcom industry back 10 years

pram posted:

i agree completely. its much easier to fund something like bell labs when yr shareholders arent wanting to strip mine any value from the company

I agree with both of these things in a qualified way that i will not detail at this time. But I will say that with a huge privatized strategically important infrastructure system a regulated monopoly is better for the public good then a bunch of petty cash-grab company's who were handed a shitload of capital investment with no expectations except to make a bunch of money for the politically connected individuals lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ehhhhhhhh that's a pretty lovely argument, and you're focusing on the US only

once Alcatel bought Lucent there are no remaining telecom specific megavendors in the US, they're all Chinese or European (Cisco doesn't count)

deregulation of telecom if anything probably only helped overall, all at&t did was spend 100 years perfecting voice telephony, a monolithic giant like 100% vertically integrated att/bell labs/western electric would not be able to keep up in the 21st century at all

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

and i mean this purely in the technology space, not the provider/operator space

all deregulation of operating companies has done in the us for consumers is allow for insanely high price gouging

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah vertical integration in technology sucks these days just ask Samsung

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

they are the loving worst

the fact that mac spoofing is not only common but a bullet-point-on-the-box feature for nearly all consumer routers is bonkers to me

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

bonus points for the java

shaggard again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

maniacdevnull posted:

they are the loving worst

the fact that mac spoofing is not only common but a bullet-point-on-the-box feature for nearly all consumer routers is bonkers to me

yeah with the explicit "Clone This MAC" button, its so obvious lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this was a holdover from back in the day when they used to charge you for multiple IP addresses if you wanted to have multiple computers on the Internet. IP masquerading, as it was called at the time, was against the terms of service and this was their gently caress you to people doing that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

IP masquerading, as it was called at the time, was against the terms of service and this was their gently caress you to people doing that.

is this any different from "network address translation"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

this was a holdover from back in the day when they used to charge you for multiple IP addresses if you wanted to have multiple computers on the Internet. IP masquerading, as it was called at the time, was against the terms of service and this was their gently caress you to people doing that.

if they were really super-anal they did packet inspection and if the ttl was less than 63 or whatever, they'd drop your poo poo. of course people iptables'd around it but still

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
comcast jacked up their rental fee to $10 so anyone renting a modem (shaggar) for more than 7 months is a loving moron

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shaggar posted:

the children are rhetorical, obviously.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

uhh who did this. every poo poo broadband router ive ever had used nat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this was before routers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm too young to really have dealt with that but i have vague memories of helping people set up their internets

i was still using dialup at home but i was still the guy who set up the internet for all my friends parents because i was Good With Computers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

*posts relevant xkcd*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are u guys talking about isdn or something

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

a good album but i still think the lifeforms 2cd set was prolly my favorite

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pram posted:

scott adams sincerely believed that isdn would be the future of high-speed internet

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

scott adams sincerely believed that isdn would be the future of high-speed internet

It's sorta where highspeed fiber is. Of course tech analogies are lol.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i had like the fist cable internet available, people used to plug hubs into the modems and connect multiple pcs so the isp would frequently run out of ips. they set up an internal site to deal with it where you logged in with your subscription number to be assigned an ip and it would log you out every 20 minutes unless you clicked on a button in the popup window you had to keep open at all times. such quality service.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pram posted:

uhh who did this. every poo poo broadband router ive ever had used nat

all of them, everyone, everywhere, back when cable/dsl rollouts first happened and your computers were hooked up directly to raw internet with SMB wide open to the local segment
and if you wanted more than one computer you had to pay for them, and they would send you a 10mbit hub to link them together

But even then, the ISps around here were very loose with the MAC address stuff, if a new one appeared you just had to log in and say "yes this is the mac for this connection give me the real internet now" and itd re-dhcp you

now the only restriction is if you change mac too many times too fast they just won't send more leases until an old one expires, but that's not really a common thing to happen.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have twc and bought my own docsis 3 modem. u can change the computer that it's plugged into but u have to reboot teh modem every time you do it. also it gives you a static ipv6 /64 subnet out of the box too which is pretty cool

also you can literally run an smtp server or any other kind of server if you want and iirc it isn't against the tos

then again i live in nyc and there's fios everywhere (not my building :( ) so they actually kinda sorta have to compete which i'm sure we can agree is literally communism, ugh. i'm sure out in the sticks they gouge the gently caress out of u

twc: "hey at least we aren't comcast" lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

all of them, everyone, everywhere, back when cable/dsl rollouts first happened and your computers were hooked up directly to raw internet with SMB wide open to the local segment
and if you wanted more than one computer you had to pay for them, and they would send you a 10mbit hub to link them together

But even then, the ISps around here were very loose with the MAC address stuff, if a new one appeared you just had to log in and say "yes this is the mac for this connection give me the real internet now" and itd re-dhcp you

now the only restriction is if you change mac too many times too fast they just won't send more leases until an old one expires, but that's not really a common thing to happen.

calm down there grandpa

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU85IGjDvPY

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

thanks but

Sniep posted:

a good album but i still think the lifeforms 2cd set was prolly my favorite

see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XQ0RYUX5o
then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEOdNxdVQM

Sniep fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like :we have explosive" the best but idk what album that is

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSD0Rnl84b0

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

i have twc and bought my own docsis 3 modem. u can change the computer that it's plugged into but u have to reboot teh modem every time you do it. also it gives you a static ipv6 /64 subnet out of the box too which is pretty cool

they actually give out /56 addresses if you set the prefix-hint in the dhcpv6 client

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

twc: "hey at least we aren't comcast" lol

yet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Smythe posted:

dead cities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

my isp keeps leaving me messages about how they want to swap modems because mine isn't taking full advantage of their service or whatever but i'm getting as-advertised speeds so i have a feeling it's a trick of some kind

• Locked thread