Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Aurini sarcastically going through a screed on tolerance is pretty :catstare:

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You don't know the half of it. I could make a whole thread about the hosed up race relations here in Canada. Canadian history is a long story about a country's quest to get rid of the First Nations, or failing that, at least getting them out of sight. The short version is that First Nations in Canada are the rough equivalent of blacks in the States (Ghettoization, high incarceration rate, incredibly high suicide rate, reservations without running water, and so on), and we are just as insane about Muslims. Of course, the only reason the modern United States isn't quite so anti First Nations is because they killed enough for them not to be considered a threat to the average rich white guy.
Yeah, looking at a map of Canada's racial demographics I was like "oh no wonder, they're scared of them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

UnoriginalMind posted:

Similarly, Alexander Pushkin, who is considered to be the greatest Russian poet of all time if not the greatest Russian writer. Wikipedia says his great-grandfather was brought over from Africa, so that makes him 1/4 of African descent, right? I never read him, but a professor of mine specialized in his work and mentioned that his heritage was pretty well known and people often made fun of his lips. In response, he dueled people all the time.

Goodness, an important part of western culture being influenced by Africa?! UNSPEAKABLE.

Is there any evidence that their African heritage influenced their creative output in any meaningful way, though, other than people making fun of what are not entirely rare features for non-African-heritaged Europeans? I'm probably at least 1/8 Latvian, but if I ever got famous and Latvians started claiming me as their own I'd be more than a little bit annoyed.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What ethnically separates the "Canadian" bits from the "English" and "French"?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What ethnically separates the "Canadian" bits from the "English" and "French"?
"Colorblindness".

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there any evidence that their African heritage influenced their creative output in any meaningful way, though, other than people making fun of what are not entirely rare features for non-African-heritaged Europeans? I'm probably at least 1/8 Latvian, but if I ever got famous and Latvians started claiming me as their own I'd be more than a little bit annoyed.

Not so much his output, as far as I'm aware, but people were definitely aware of it and it had an impact on his life in a number of ways. Despite reading quite a bit of Russian literature, I haven't read Eugene Onegin since it's poetry and that's rarely fun in translation.

What does Aurini do for a living anyway? Just these videos via his Patreon?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is Aurini an actual name or did he make that poo poo up? It sounds like a god drat dungeons and dragons wizard name. What a stupid manchild.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

To be fair most of those area's with a Native American majority have a really low population anyway right?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

To be fair most of those area's with a Native American majority have a really low population anyway right?

Yeah. In fact, that is a map of federal ridings, meaning that every section has approximately the same population. However, First Nations and Inuit people still make up 5% of the total population. I've been kinda waffling on making a thread on race relations and anti First Nations sentiment in Canada. Main thing holding me back, honestly, is whether I am really qualified to speak on the subject. I've studied it a fair bit, am status Indian, and I grew up on a reserve. On the other hand, I am still pretty white (I was nicknamed porcelain boy growing up) so I'm worried I am an outsider.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If your goal is to educate people outside of Canada, you're more of an insider than probably 95% of the thread.

As an obnoxious arrogant cowboy American, I have always been really curious about how Canada understands and deals with both race and racism. Like, how does Aurini get along with his fellow citizens? I have heard that there are vocal MRA groups at universities there, which shocks the poo poo out of me because even Americans at school shout that down or just don't know about it. Is he part of a larger domestic culture of urban racists?

And what about hate speech laws? What would it take to get him censored or fined?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah a thread on the FN would be awesome. I'm painfully ignorant of issues both historical and current facing FN Canadians, and I'd love to learn more about them before I move back to Canada.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

How are u posted:

Is Aurini an actual name or did he make that poo poo up? It sounds like a god drat dungeons and dragons wizard name. What a stupid manchild.

It's his last name. His first name is Davis.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

If your goal is to educate people outside of Canada, you're more of an insider than probably 95% of the thread.

As an obnoxious arrogant cowboy American, I have always been really curious about how Canada understands and deals with both race and racism. Like, how does Aurini get along with his fellow citizens? I have heard that there are vocal MRA groups at universities there, which shocks the poo poo out of me because even Americans at school shout that down or just don't know about it. Is he part of a larger domestic culture of urban racists?

And what about hate speech laws? What would it take to get him censored or fined?

Canada is quite a bit better than the US when it comes to xenophobia, even our conservatives have have strong representation in immigrant communities. But racism against natives is unbelievable. I don't know if anybody outside the US really pays attention, but violence against aboriginal women is such a massive problem in Canada that the UN has criticized us for it.

Our government has of course reacted by defending our stellar human rights record and denying that a problem even exists.

Seriously there are like 700 unsolved disappearances and murders still open right now that the RCMP literally gives no fucks about. It's just one of the ways that our collective racism is staggeringly obvious with even a cursory examination of the lives of aboriginal people in Canada.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Some rear end in a top hat named Badger of Barsa suggested I crosspost this from DnD Chat Thread.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I don't really know where to put this but holy gently caress I want to throw this guy off the Kibbie Dome.

Feminism is Poison!!!! OMG

quote:

Feminism is a destructive force in American society

Blogger Matt Walsh, contributor to The Blaze, put it best: “feminism is poison.” It has done nothing less than destroy the heart of our nation — but that didn’t stop University of Idaho President Chuck Staben from proclaiming his undying support for it.
Andrew Jenson

Recently, Staben wore a shirt with the phrase “This is what a feminist looks like” printed on it when he spoke to Women’s Studies students. He said he’s been a feminist for a long time. He said his definition of feminism means valuing and respecting women as individuals. He added, “Women have a right not to be assaulted, to earn the same salaries as men (and) to resume a place of equality in society.”

This all sounds nice on the surface. However, as shocking as this declaration is, what does it say about anything? Other than that Staben is good at winning political points, it says nothing. This is the same ridiculous nonsense our generation has been spoon-fed since birth.

One doesn’t have to be a feminist to believe women should be respected and shouldn’t be assaulted or treated unfairly. Does one have to be a masculinist to believe men shouldn’t be assaulted or treated badly? Of course not, because such a person believes in equality under the law.

Despite Staben’s sentiments, feminism isn’t about equality or justice. Feminism is about hatred of womanhood. That which makes women unique and beautiful, feminism tears down as vile and degenerate.

Generally, feminists champion causes like sexual freedom and reproductive rights, which have been the detriment of women and the family unit. In their fear of true womanhood, feminists have desecrated that which is good.

For example, the ability to conceive life — a truly remarkable gift — is turned into a burden and curse on a woman’s career or life choices by feminism. A child turns into an inconvenience or a pest that must be avoided in the name of equality and fairness. Those aligned with feminism proclaim no one can tell a woman what to do in these situations — especially if she doesn’t desire the hindrance within her belly.

This hatred of womanhood stems from marriage and our society’s great misunderstanding of it. Since the time of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, women’s suffragists and feminists in America have done everything in their power to dissolve marriage — the sacred institution in which true womanhood is fully realized. People like Stanton saw marriage as it is often seen now — a means for men to enslave women and hold ultimate power over them.

During her speech entitled “Marriage and Divorce,” Stanton commented on marriage and stated, “When husbands and wives do not own each other as property, but are bound together only by affection, marriage will be a life-long friendship, and not a heavy yoke from which both may sometimes long for deliverance.”

What an unfortunate understanding of marriage. Yet, we see this view embraced so highly today and it continues to harm our nation. It encourages men and women to function as two, rather than work together as one in a life-long bond.

Feminism works to further this divide. It seeks to separate and destroy the very foundation of civilization, the family — and it has succeeded. According to a 2012 Pew Research poll, marriage is “being replaced by cohabitation, single-parent households and other living arrangements.” This downturn of marriage has all the makings of an anarchistic society.

Feminist views reflect the shallowness of our generation and in the process trample the family — society’s richest treasure.

Here's his picture from the article in case you don't like clicking things:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
And that, ladies and gentlegoons, is what we in Germany call a Backpfeifengesicht.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ahahahaha motherfucker thinks he's a cowboy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Ahahahaha motherfucker thinks he's a cowboy.

Unsurprisingly he's a Doctor Who fan. Surprisingly that cowboy hat may actually be making him look better: http://www.uiargonaut.com/2014/09/11/arg-reviews-doctor-who-robot-of-sherwood-series-8-episode-3/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arivia posted:

Unsurprisingly he's a Doctor Who fan. Surprisingly that cowboy hat may actually be making him look better: http://www.uiargonaut.com/2014/09/11/arg-reviews-doctor-who-robot-of-sherwood-series-8-episode-3/

He looks like he's 15 and Alfred E Neuman, yet still the most attractive reactionary in the thread:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DemeaninDemon posted:

He looks like he could be Mark Prindle's rear end in a top hat younger brother.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Some rear end in a top hat named Badger of Barsa suggested I crosspost this from DnD Chat Thread.

Hey :mad:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this one count?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/13/the-waronnerds-how-far-left-feminists-and-the-media-created-gamergate/

I can't copy-paste the text, but he thinks that nerds giving people over video games is just revenge on all those women who date disgusting, hateful nerds.

He's on the board of directors for an anti-gay marriage group:

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/yc/profile/mytheos-holt/

Feels oppressed by the existence of gay people and requests that college students not commit rape:

http://www.academia.org/elegy-for-wesleyan/

Believes stolen nude photos of celebrities are the front line of protected free speech:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/16/rip-the-fappening-reddits-bastion-of-free-speech-dies-an-indecent-death/

Made an argument about Trayvon Martin being a juvenile delinquent that was so dumb that Glenn Beck deleted it from his website:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/the-blaze-site-founded-by_n_1370843.html

We've finally grown our own American Aurini.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
For an anti-gay MRA he sure does look like a butch lesbian. I thought I recognised him for a minute, turns out he just looks like a couple of my (female, gay) friends.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are your friends going for like a Biff-from-the-bad-timeline look too? Because that would actually be pretty boss. Your friends would also probably need to stuff way less newspaper into the shoulders of their blazers than this guy, although his dad probably only lets him play dress-up with the old ones he doesn't need any more.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this one count?

What is it with these people and their small heads/big jackets? Why must they tarnish the legacy of David Byrne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-mxVxFXLg

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Spoilers Below posted:

What is it with these people and their small heads/big jackets? Why must they tarnish the legacy of David Byrne?

They think it makes them look bigger. Instead, they look about as ridiculous as did Michael Dukakis in that tank.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jack Gladney posted:

Are your friends going for like a Biff-from-the-bad-timeline look too? Because that would actually be pretty boss. Your friends would also probably need to stuff way less newspaper into the shoulders of their blazers than this guy, although his dad probably only lets him play dress-up with the old ones he doesn't need any more.

Kind of, yeah, except we get suits in our size.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Spoilers Below posted:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken that's an overcoat. If you look closely you can just see what looks like a normal suit underneath the top layer. It's probably still slightly big for an overcoat I'd say it's still acceptable. Not to say his style is acceptable he's obviously just trying and failing to imitate Don Draper and trying to appear all manly like but at least his suit seems to fit decently.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this one count?

This is a grown man doing cosplay in an official photo. He is not wearing a suit and tie, nor is he holding a cigar. He is wearing a Don Draper costume and I feel that's all I need to say about him and all that he stands for.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Yep just gonna pose for a photo with an unlit cigar and a heavy overcoat that I'm wearing indoors for some reason. Yep. This is going to make me look awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is a grown man doing cosplay in an official photo. He is not wearing a suit and tie, nor is he holding a cigar. He is wearing a Don Draper costume and I feel that's all I need to say about him and all that he stands for.

They literally call themselves the Dark Enlightenment. I think this bears repeating.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't decide whether I'm more impressed by the tasteful, skillful lighting or by the classy little light switch behind him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this one count?

Does he not want to light that cigar for health reasons, or is he afraid of burning his whole allowance from mom in one go?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does he not want to light that cigar for health reasons, or is he afraid of burning his whole allowance from mom in one go?

Much like that one other guy with his untouched cigarettes and scotch, he probably doesn't enjoy the act of smoking, but carries a cigar as a prop anyway just so people know for sure just how goddamn manly and old fashioned he is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Much like that one other guy with his untouched cigarettes and scotch, he probably doesn't enjoy the act of smoking, but carries a cigar as a prop anyway just so people know for sure just how goddamn manly and old fashioned he is.

To be fair, no-one would ever guess otherwise. I mean, they still won't now, because useful problem-solving is not a known skill for Internet neo-Nazis, but his self-awareness about his manliness shortfall is commendable.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Are we sure it's a Don Draper costume? Because the bright tie and unlit cigar make me think of a different, highly successful male role model...

http://youtu.be/fsIgphDPytM?t=13s

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

quote:

Learn how a mom made smallpox doctors furious with this ONE WEIRD TRICK!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

More high quality thinking from a leading light of the Dark Enlightenment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bartlebyshop posted:

More high quality thinking from a leading light of the Dark Enlightenment.

I know this is a bit of a forum cliché at this point, but is this guy basically butthurt because good white Christians like him are being cucked by Muslims and immigrants? :allears:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know this is a bit of a forum cliché at this point, but is this guy basically butthurt because good white Christians like him are being cucked by Muslims and immigrants? :allears:

Don't forget the danger of black people using Drexler-style nanotechnology to destroy the glorious white bourgeoisie. His existential terror of both these things has led him, as far as I can tell an ethnically Slavic person, to ally with straight up Nazis. He likes to tweet a lot about he's really a European Russian, honestly, he swears.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes. All this poo poo is rooted in misogyny as much as racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just how small can his penis possibly be? Most people just get a big car.