Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Look up Planetes some time, the only fetish it has is for meticuliusly accurate real world spaceflight physics and depressingly spot on depictions of capitalism in 50 years
If watching an unhealthy amount of anime has taught me anything it's that a substantial portion of the nerd population has an extreme fetish for exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

You see they're robot ladies who want to gently caress you so they can turn into a real girl like pinnochhio.

I'm not kidding.

This isn’t really true.

They live in a repressive society we’re emotions aren’t a thing.

It’s biggest issues aren’t the sex thing but the fact it isn’t sure what message it wants to have.

Does get pretty misogynistic tho. Also it’s last message doesn’t seem to figure out gay people are a thing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nick Land is the dumbest of these people in the sense that he had actual academic status and threw it away so he could do tweets, link to Jacobite, and make approving gestures in the direction of Jordan Peterson. Yud has never and will never achieve anything, but Land had something for a brief moment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hackbunny posted:

*a quick image search later*

lmao

Huh, first time a search for a "no, actually it's good" anime doesn't turn up anything gross

I mean, GGGNK is kids’ edutainment. The official product, at least, is unlikely to be gross (although we all know the fandom can be quite another matter).

For the record, the latest episode calls out the Japanese education system for glossing over the country’s bad behaviour in World War II, which is very in-keeping with the original author’s politics.

quote:

However, in 1942, he was drafted into the Imperial Japanese Army and sent to New Britain Island in Papua New Guinea. His wartime experiences affected him greatly, as he contracted malaria, watched friends die from battle wounds and disease, and dealt with other horrors of war. Finally, in an Allied air raid, he was caught in an explosion and lost his dominant (left) arm. Regarding this life-changing event, a Nov. 30, 2015 NHK announcement of his death showed excerpts of a video interview with him at age 80, in which he said that as the only survivor of his unit, he was 'ordered to die' — a prospect he considered ridiculous. The result of Mizuki's wartime experience was a concurrent sense of pacifism and goodwill. In the same interview, he explained that his Yōkai characters can be seen only in times of peace, not war, and that he purposely created these supernatural creatures to be of no specific ethnicity or nationality as a hint of the potential for humanity. While in a Japanese field hospital on Rabaul, he was befriended by the local Tolai tribespeople, who offered him land, a home, and citizenship via marriage to one of their women. Mizuki acknowledged that he considered remaining behind, but was shamed by a military doctor into returning home to Japan first for medical treatment to his arm and to face his parents, which he did reluctantly.

Upon arriving home, Mizuki had initially planned to return to New Guinea; however, the occupation of Japan changed that. His injuries did little to help, nor did the fact that his older brother, an artillery officer, was convicted as a war criminal for having prisoners of war executed. After his return to Japan he worked at a variety of jobs including as a fish salesman and kamishibai artist.

In 1957, Mizuki released his debut work, Rocketman. He published numerous works afterwards, both dealing with the military and with yōkai. He has also written many books on both subjects, including an autobiography about his time on New Britain Island and a manga biography of Adolf Hitler. In 1991, he released a short work titled War and Japan published in The Sixth Grader, a popular edutainment magazine for young people, detailing the atrocities committed by the Japanese Army during their rampage in China and Korea and is narrated by Nezumi Otoko. The work serves as a powerful counterpoint to revisionist manga like the works of Yoshinori Kobayashi and by extension a way for Mizuki to express his anger at those responsible for all of Japan's victims. When not working in either field, he painted a number of subjects, though these works are not as well known as his literary ones which have made him a household name. In 2003, he returned to Rabaul to rekindle his friendship with the locals, who had named a road after him in his honor.

Darth Walrus has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Aug 16, 2018

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nick Land is the dumbest of these people in the sense that he had actual academic status and threw it away so he could do tweets, link to Jacobite, and make approving gestures in the direction of Jordan Peterson. Yud has never and will never achieve anything, but Land had something for a brief moment.

He left academia in the early 00s because Warwick was losing patience with him and his group and he wanted to dick around in China instead. Becoming a genocide dad on Twitter over a decade later was maybe a consequence of him being cut out, it wasn't the reason he left (also linking jacobite and approving of Jordan Peterson are hardly why he's persona non grata now, lol)

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Also amphetamines.

So very many amphetamines.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
No I’m sure the bugs under his skin are entirely real.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Facebook seems to have pushed him over the edge. He was eagerly awaiting a thrilling cyberpunk future and he got Facebook.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fairly passive posted:

Facebook seems to have pushed him over the edge. He was eagerly awaiting a thrilling cyberpunk future and he got Facebook.

Which is a shame because I liked Nick Land. His blending of Bataille and Deleuze\Battari et al, plus 4 edgy 2 you occult cyberpoetics was really fun & definitely felt like a strong influence on Grant Morrison's voice in The Invisibles. He's maybe the only Dark Enlightenment guy who I feel like "did the work" to get to that point; ie drove himself insane with rigorous high level academic study of philosophy*, instead of a lot of toxic levels of internet fart huffing, so I have a bit of begrudging respect and sympathy.

* also, the drugs. I assume.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/homunculette/status/1031971093135994880

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man I know what video that's from, it's hosted by this "professor" who paints these loving terrible, generic paintings of boy scouts and is clearly super upset that the art world doesn't recognize his clear genius. He talks about how in the art class he teaches he starts by showing the class a picture he claims is by Jackson Pollock, and has the kids interpret it, and then *gasp* it's actually just a picture of his own messy, paint-covered smock, and you dumb idiot kids couldn't tell the difference because art is decadent and depraved now, how dare you try to find meaning where nobody has explicitly spelled it out for you!!!

Then the rest of the video is him griping about specific art pieces he doesn't like :allears:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

What the gently caress is Prager U? I only know them from crazy long youtube commercials about how Israel is good, or a black guy saying that racism is over and that other black people who talk about it are whiners... wait, I think I just accidentally contexted myself a good enough answer.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

What the gently caress is Prager U? I only know them from crazy long youtube commercials about how Israel is good, or a black guy saying that racism is over and that other black people who talk about it are whiners... wait, I think I just accidentally contexted myself a good enough answer.

It's just a bunch of videos some right wing pundit called Prager puts out to counter the evil liberalism of actual education.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

there wolf posted:

It's just a bunch of videos some right wing pundit called Prager puts out to counter the evil liberalism of actual education.

Pretty much that. This video (originally uploaded with the title "PragerU: The Blog That Thinks It's a University") does a pretty good job breaking down and debunking one of their videos on creationism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwKhX-1gZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r0-obve7s

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Aug 23, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Pretty much that. This video (originally uploaded with the title "PragerU: The Blog That Thinks It's a University") does a pretty good job breaking down and debunking one of their videos on creationism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwKhX-1gZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r0-obve7s

To be honest you can just watch their original videos which don't really need to be dissected because they're so incredibly obviously stupid it's hilarious.

e: lmao look at what I get in the suggestions on youtube

How could you go wrong with choices like that :allears:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
The fact that those videos have millions of views should be a cause of concern.

Slickly animated stick men can both be used for good and evil.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

White Rock posted:

The fact that those videos have millions of views should be a cause of concern.

Slickly animated stick men can both be used for good and evil.

They've been rediscovered by different groups and passed around the internet and mocked heavily several times since they came out, I know I've seen people find them and link them on these forums at least four times so far and I'm sure a lot of other sites go through the same cycle. I think many if not most of those views are probably people making fun of it, though I'm sure there's a not-insignificant amount of Facebook Dads that have passed them around to own the libs as well I guess

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I only knew about them because they take out extremely long youtube ads. I've gone to watch an old episode of The Computer Chronicles, then I got some guy being like "The western Left wants to tell you that Israel is a nation committing genocide against its neighbors. But consider this; Stalin was a leftist and he committed genocide. So genocide is a Leftist thing. Problem is, Israel is extremely Right wing, so by that logic they couldn't be committing genocide. But now look at who is making the claim, the Leftists. Seems pretty convenient, doesn't it? AlsoLechembreadissupergoodcallyourmothershemissesyouGodbless."

Except it takes like 20 minutes to get there. I'm sure some other weirdos like me stop to gawk at the weird commercial, but I'm guessing overall people skip them, as you should, so they're wasting a lot of cash on being something you see five seconds of before your music video starts.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

I only knew about them because they take out extremely long youtube ads. I've gone to watch an old episode of The Computer Chronicles, then I got some guy being like "The western Left wants to tell you that Israel is a nation committing genocide against its neighbors. But consider this; Stalin was a leftist and he committed genocide. So genocide is a Leftist thing. Problem is, Israel is extremely Right wing, so by that logic they couldn't be committing genocide. But now look at who is making the claim, the Leftists. Seems pretty convenient, doesn't it? AlsoLechembreadissupergoodcallyourmothershemissesyouGodbless."

Except it takes like 20 minutes to get there. I'm sure some other weirdos like me stop to gawk at the weird commercial, but I'm guessing overall people skip them, as you should, so they're wasting a lot of cash on being something you see five seconds of before your music video starts.

I've always wondered if people like that would explode if you told them about Israel's huge welfare system and socialized medicine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oddly enough Prager U's video about the Civil War is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. An Army guy explains that the South seceded to keep black people as slaves and they all committed treason.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The hole left by the disco dark ages

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Oh man I know what video that's from, it's hosted by this "professor" who paints these loving terrible, generic paintings of boy scouts and is clearly super upset that the art world doesn't recognize his clear genius. He talks about how in the art class he teaches he starts by showing the class a picture he claims is by Jackson Pollock, and has the kids interpret it, and then *gasp* it's actually just a picture of his own messy, paint-covered smock, and you dumb idiot kids couldn't tell the difference because art is decadent and depraved now, how dare you try to find meaning where nobody has explicitly spelled it out for you!!!

Then the rest of the video is him griping about specific art pieces he doesn't like :allears:

Captain ACAB is an incredible username, and I am really jealous. Also, the actual video Prager U posts is... really worth a watch. He's obsessed with technical proficiency, and holds up Vermeer as an example, a dude who literally used a proto-camera to cheat his way to proportional accuracy. Also, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that someone who claims that art can be objectively measured by a universal standard is a closet modernist and relies heavily on the idea of objectivity is probably also reliant on other measures which can basically be reduced to "old stuff is better".

And I think this claim can be buttressed by another video they posted where a woman is tasked with explaining that toxic masculinity is the part of the same biological drive that inspires men to rescue kittens from fires and should be thus harnessed, not denied. I am only halfway through, but this is so far very :biotruths:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not a fan of modern art (at least, the popular definition of modern art, which more or less seems to mean those shapeless lumpy sculptures that infest public parks), but I understand why it exists and I don't begrudge it's existence, and I can tell you the exact moment I came to this viewpoint:

I was visiting a major art gallery in London which had their paintings arranged more or less chronologically. The effect was incredibly numbing, because it meant I was looking at room after room of portraits of dead rich guys interspersed with a few landscapes and Biblical scenes. After a certain point I was almost running through the rooms until I got to the mid-1800s and the first of the Impressionist paintings, and I don't think I've ever appreciated seeing one of Claude Monet's thousands of loving lily pad paintings more than that afternoon. The abstract paintings a couple rooms later were even more of a breath of fresh air.

What I'm saying is that art changes and evolves, and we're all better for it. For every few hundred insufferable rear end in a top hat art majors who get their degree for making a fingerpaint recreation of Picasso's Guernica done in their own bodily fluids or a performance piece consisting of making GBS threads into empty Campbell's soup cans as a comment on the violence inherent in the system, there's someone doing something truly new and creative.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Aug 27, 2018

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What I'm saying is that art changes and evolves, and we're all better for it. For every few hundred insufferable rear end in a top hat art majors who get their degree for making a fingerpaint recreation of Picasso's Guernica done in their own bodily fluids or a performance piece consisting of making GBS threads into empty Campbell's soup cans as a comment on the violence inherent in the system, there's someone doing something truly new and creative.

I feel that people who spend inordinate amounts of time defending the deepness of their art are typically missing the point of postmodern art (which, poo poo in cans is definitely postmodern); early examples of obnoxiously underskilled pieces, like that guy who poo poo into cans and sold it, did so simply as a protest against collectors, the upper-middle class, etc, or as a signal to the absurd. It means nothing because life is meaningless, which is the typical message, but laymen and strict modernists alike either don't understand or heavily disagree with that message, which is where you get nineteen year old art students who will make a plaster cast of their own hand and then claim it's about their father's rigid parenting style*.

*: Real example from art school!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cash crab posted:

I feel that people who spend inordinate amounts of time defending the deepness of their art are typically missing the point of postmodern art (which, poo poo in cans is definitely postmodern); early examples of obnoxiously underskilled pieces, like that guy who poo poo into cans and sold it, did so simply as a protest against collectors, the upper-middle class, etc, or as a signal to the absurd. It means nothing because life is meaningless, which is the typical message, but laymen and strict modernists alike either don't understand or heavily disagree with that message, which is where you get nineteen year old art students who will make a plaster cast of their own hand and then claim it's about their father's rigid parenting style*.

*: Real example from art school!

My favorite protest-against-collectors art is Wool’s Apocalypse Now. OK, maybe that wasn’t the intent, but SELL THE HOUSE SELL THE CAR SELL THE KIDS works pretty well as a summary of the values of the sort of person who would pay 26 and a half million dollars for a painting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Beyond that a lot of abstract art isn't seeking representation or symbolic meaning- it's sometimes just "these shapes/colors, arranged in a certain way, are interesting to me". There's no meaning to decode, it's pure aesthetics.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Abstract art made a lot more sense to me once I got really into photography in high school, to the point I was in a dark room literally until I got kicked out and told to go home, and after a while I started trying to recreate reality as closely as possible, later on I found it was really fun to expose different parts of the picture differently or use the developer as a paint brush to get interesting end results. The final photos barely represented the real world in any way but it was so much fun to work with and the end result was still aesthetically pleasing and had meaning to me because of all the time and effort I put into it. So I assume that most abstract art I don't understand comes from a similar place, I know that Picasso did realistic paintings early in his career and then developed cubism later, while I don't necessarily like the end result I'm not exactly going to say it's lazy or lacks merit.

I dunno, other than photography I don't have an artistic bone in my body and sometimes modern artists seems really up their own butt, but that doesn't mean that there is an objective standard to what art is and isn't good, art by it's very nature is subjective and even. Also claiming art is degenerate has a long and proud history of not ending in super dark places, no siree.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oddly enough Prager U's video about the Civil War is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. An Army guy explains that the South seceded to keep black people as slaves and they all committed treason.

So was this some combination of them not vetting the guy beforehand and him not knowing what the channel is about? I can't imagine why anyone with non-extreme right views would be on a PragerU video.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

Beyond that a lot of abstract art isn't seeking representation or symbolic meaning- it's sometimes just "these shapes/colors, arranged in a certain way, are interesting to me". There's no meaning to decode, it's pure aesthetics.

Also, pre-photographic art didn't seek pure representation or pure abstraction, depending on the artist or subject matter. If I can bring up Vermeer again, that dude literally used a projector so that he could paint milkmaids. You could argue, I guess, that there was some level of symbolic importance in either the grand scheme of his work, or in individual paintings, but you're still talking about a guy who basically wanted to be a photographer but was born in the wrong era. And ever seen The Garden of Earthly Delights? I would argue a huge portion of its credibility is derived from its age; not to say I don't like the painting, but it's pretty abstract for its time.

I'm sorry if I'm continuing a derail here, but I have this really specific pet peeve for people hearkening back to some specific era to criticise the present. In addition to the fact that we've been doing that as long as there have been people older than us, but a channel like Prager U also does it to get sentimental about, for example, war and some lost concept of masculinity, and much like golden American eras, it never loving existed. If anyone's interested, there's a very good book called The Way We Never Were that discusses that whole idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've been told Milo is having/had a meltdown because nobody's paying attention to him and nobody wants to book him as a speaker at anything. I'm not going to check because I don't need the google results for milo on my mind but it was nice hearing that he's apparently fully washed up and miserable at least. Burn in hell you gently caress :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's crying about no one wanting to deal with insurance claims for his asshattery, and how the cancelled venues are thousands in out of picket expenses.

Also some bullshit about The Americans not supporting their alt right warriors more and he's fighting everyday for ARE RITES but people cant be assed to get off facebook and help him out.

waah.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cash crab posted:

like that guy who poo poo into cans and sold it,

he also blew into a balloon and sold it. and don't forget that one of the buyers attempted to make his own artistic statement by opening one of the "artist's poo poo" cans... and found another, smaller can inside

but my favorite piece of his is an upside down plinth set on the ground, declaring the entire world to be a work of art and effectively making art obsolete. piero manzoni won at art

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I've been told Milo is having/had a meltdown because nobody's paying attention to him and nobody wants to book him as a speaker at anything. I'm not going to check because I don't need the google results for milo on my mind but it was nice hearing that he's apparently fully washed up and miserable at least. Burn in hell you gently caress :3:

here's the direct link to that Milo comment. (You need to be logged into Facebook for it to go to the comment.) Here's the text:

quote:

Over the past three years, I have spent literally millions of dollars trying to do talks, speeches, events, rallies and protests, to say nothing of all the stuff I do behind the scenes I can never tell you about. A lot of that money was my own wealth, from before I even started in journalism. My events almost never happen. It’s protests, or sabotage from Republican competitors or social media outcries. Every time, it costs me tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. And when I get dumped from conferences, BARELY ANYONE makes a sound about it — not my fellow conservative media figures and not even, in many cases, you guys. When was the last time any of you protested in the street at the treatment meted out to me or Pamela Gellar or Mike Cernovich or Alex Jones? I have repeatedly put myself in harm’s way in service of American values. My annual security bill amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars — just so my husband and I don’t get killed going for sushi. I have to make that money somehow just to stay afloat, and that doesn’t scratch the surface of staff costs, insurance, your insane American taxes. I’ve fought bitterly and endlessly for freedom in a country I don’t even belong to — not for my benefit, but for yours. I have been betrayed and abandoned by everyone who ever called themselves my friend, with a small handful of notable exceptions. I was a significant factor in Donald Trump getting elected, for which I have received zero credit. I almost single-handedly ignited the current debate about free speech on campus and NO ONE has ever matched my ability to draw attention to these issues. For my trouble, I have lost everything standing up for the truth in America, spent all my savings, destroyed all my friendships, and ruined my whole life. At some point, you realize it’s occasionally better to spend the money on crabs and cocktails. If anyone has a problem with that, then frankly they can go gently caress themselves. All I ever read here is criticism and ingratitude. You guys have no idea what I have sacrificed for you, and you think just because I drown my sorrows with a few expensive bottles of wine, you’re justified in calling me lazy and self-involved. I don’t advertise my selflessness, because I’m not a victim. But for the love of God show some recognition of what your front-line warriors have accomplished on your behalf, you entitled loving babies. YOU WILL KEEP LOSING until you support those of us out there on the front lines while you tweet and Facebook from your living rooms.

:discourse:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9kZVTLc840

Milo's Lament - A Dramatic Reading by Elliot Chapman

divabot has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 28, 2018

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

YOU WILL KEEP LOSING until you support those of us out there on the front lines while you tweet and Facebook from your living rooms.
Fighting the good fight of outing transgender and undocumented people in front of a live classroom audience of chuds, advancing alt-right operations in the true theatre of the culture war, a bunch of colleges dumb enough to take him.

Or did he mean Infowars of all things?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bless u milo for all your selfless not talking about how selfless you are, you're so brave for being a not victim in all of this :allears:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

cash crab posted:

Also, pre-photographic art didn't seek pure representation or pure abstraction, depending on the artist or subject matter. If I can bring up Vermeer again, that dude literally used a projector so that he could paint milkmaids. You could argue, I guess, that there was some level of symbolic importance in either the grand scheme of his work, or in individual paintings, but you're still talking about a guy who basically wanted to be a photographer but was born in the wrong era. And ever seen The Garden of Earthly Delights? I would argue a huge portion of its credibility is derived from its age; not to say I don't like the painting, but it's pretty abstract for its time.

I'm sorry if I'm continuing a derail here, but I have this really specific pet peeve for people hearkening back to some specific era to criticise the present. In addition to the fact that we've been doing that as long as there have been people older than us, but a channel like Prager U also does it to get sentimental about, for example, war and some lost concept of masculinity, and much like golden American eras, it never loving existed. If anyone's interested, there's a very good book called The Way We Never Were that discusses that whole idea.

Also the discussion hinges entirely around a very small and narrow genre of art, ignoring the vast majority of art around the world that has its own standards that aren't based on realistic representation. Really, if we're going to argue about art having objective standards, I'd say that the completely realistic stuff is the deviation, given how many cultures don't value it at all.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I love the willful refusal to acknowledge his own withering popularity here. "No one supports me, even the people who are ideologically obligated to support me! Clearly, you are ungrateful." Guess what, buddy, when your entire appeal revolves around being a contrarian, rude rear end in a top hat who is dismissive of everyone but themselves, don't be surprised when your acolytes do the same to you.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Given his whole shtick revolved around being the conservative stereotype of what gay men are like, he's lucky his side getting rid of him came down to ignoring him, rather than what they usually do to gay people.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

there wolf posted:

More than once in trans spaces I've come across people wondering why transhumanists have such a bad reputation and it's entirely because their image of a transhumanist is a gender-queer person wanting cool robot bodies and cyberpunk body mods.

The saddest thing is there are actually decent transhumanist communities. Some of them have been doing theory since the sixties. Some were part of the trends that became cybernetic socialism, others were outgrowths of socialist-feminism, others were the works of singular trans people with​ a utopian vision of not feeling like poo poo all the time. It's just that none of them, not a single one, is based on some piece of poo poo fanfic author's rewrite of Science.

A bit like the women in the New Atheist movement who worked​for decades on social and academic projects only to get mugged by a bunch of has-been lecture circuit grifters.

Big Hubris has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Sep 9, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
posting so i can find another post, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EdithUpwards posted:

The saddest thing is there are actually decent transhumanist communities. Some of them have been doing theory since the sixties. Some were part of the trends that became cybernetic socialism, others were outgrowths of socialist-feminism, others were the works of singular trans people with​ a utopian vision of not feeling like poo poo all the time. It's just that none of them, not a single one, is based on some piece of poo poo fanfic author's rewrite of Science.

A bit like the women in the New Atheist movement who worked​for decades on social and academic projects only to get mugged by a bunch of has-been lecture circuit grifters.
I'm part of a few transhumanist communities and I have to rein in others who, while not intending to be malicious, get into "what if someone wants ..." and is completely ignorant of transgender issues. Dude, you implanted chips in your hands, you're not qualified to speak about gender dysphoria because of it.