Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

Yes. All this poo poo is rooted in misogyny as much as racism.

More specifically, it's sexual insecurity and women as chattel and reward, a just reward being stolen by those swarthy foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

bartlebyshop posted:

black people using Drexler-style nanotechnology to destroy the glorious white bourgeoisie
Is this just a goony conflation of the "Dark" "Enlightenment" at large and LessWrong, or is that seriously one of these people's talking points?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Is this just a goony conflation of the "Dark" "Enlightenment" at large and LessWrong, or is that seriously one of these people's talking points?

Behold.

Choice quotes:

Michael Anissimov posted:

The standards of Transhumanism have fallen in the last decade as well. In the late 90s and the early 00s, when the primary transhumanist venues were the Extropians and SL4 mailing lists, the technical understanding of the average transhumanist was excellent. Today, it is quite poor. There’s an emergent brilliance produced when you put Spike Jones, Robin Hanson, Anders Sandberg, Chris Phoenix, Eliezer Yudkowsky, and Robert Bradbury on the same mailing list, which simply has no modern-day analogue. This environment was the forge that crafted the most capable Transhumanist leaders of today. Second-generation students of transhumanism are simply not the same.

The key concept is that molecular manufacturing and transhumanism are guaranteed to highly empower someone. Some set of people will be highly empowered; preventing this isn’t an option. Fewer people, with a deeper sense of responsibility, coupled with moral and spiritual values, is a superior option to the alternative.

Speaking for myself personally, my key motivation is not having to witness or experience global nanowar.

Even more effective is the system similar to monarchical Europe, where the elites were related by blood and more related to one another than to their subjects. This builds a sense of mutual respect, understanding, and camaraderie that today’s politicians can only blink in confusion about. Elites managing a government for the long term are incentivized to care about far futures, not just the next election cycle. Unencumbered by the frivolous winds of public opinion, they are free to consult advisors for the most intelligent decision, not necessarily the most popular one.

Another stability-inducing effect produced by putting responsibility in the hands of an elite is that wars are less likely to be fought for highly abstract, nationalistic reasons such as “promoting democracy in the world.” Rather, leaders have an incentive to fight wars over tangible assets, which tend to be limited, or not fight them at all.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that Anissimov dope at one point held some kind of position at MIRI. He also started a site called "More Right" as a right-wing companion to Less Wrong.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

Behold.

Choice quotes:

What exactly is an excellent technical understanding of fairy tales?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Political Whores posted:

What exactly is an excellent technical understanding of fairy tales?

Well see if you put atoms together in this way, it looks like a gear! Therefore it will work as a gear and there are no nanoscale effects re: van der waals forces, thermal jitteriness, etc. that will be an issue. Next stop, universal replicators!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bartlebyshop posted:

Behold.

Choice quotes:

RaNaWa

Also, I love how monarchs never went to war over the most frivolous poo poo. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
He literally believes that the state of modern science could and should be improved by a few generations of inbreeding. Holy poo poo. I mean, has he seen what the family trees of European royalty used to look like?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

He literally believes that the state of modern science could and should be improved by a few generations of inbreeding. Holy poo poo. I mean, has he seen what the family trees of European royalty used to look like?

These people have this idea that genetics in the real world works like it does in ASOIAF, where it's very important to preserve Targaryen physical and mental characteristics through constant inbreeding. Except even GRRM realized that this tends to make people in the family super hosed up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

These people have this idea that genetics in the real world works like it does in ASOIAF, where it's very important to preserve Targaryen physical and mental characteristics through constant inbreeding. Except even GRRM realized that this tends to make people in the family super hosed up.

All I'm saying is, I hope this guy doesn't have any sisters. Or nieces.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

bartlebyshop posted:

Behold.

Choice quotes:

Surprisingly there's a lot of overlap between the techno-libertarian transhumanists and neo-reactionary monarchists.

Well not very surprising when you find the common thread: That rich western European people are just naturally better than everyone else and we should just step aside and let the natural order maintain itself.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DarklyDreaming posted:

Surprisingly there's a lot of overlap between the techno-libertarian transhumanists and neo-reactionary monarchists.

Well not very surprising when you find the common thread: That rich western European people men are just naturally better than everyone else and we should just step aside and let the natural order maintain itself.

White women are all fools in bed with the foreign hordes.

Edit: I'm going to leave a quote from the futurist manifesto here. The original Dark Enlightenment. I particularly like 8, 9 and 10.

F. T. Marinetti posted:

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.
2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.
3. Literature has up to now magnified pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt movements of aggression, feverish sleeplessness, the double march, the perilous leap, the slap and the blow with the fist.
4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.
5. We want to sing the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.
6. The poet must spend himself with warmth, glamour and prodigality to increase the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.
7. Beauty exists only in struggle. There is no masterpiece that has not an aggressive character. Poetry must be a violent assault on the forces of the unknown, to force them to bow before man.
8. We are on the extreme promontory of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we have already created eternal, omnipresent speed.
9. We want to glorify war — the only hygiene of the world — militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of the anarchists, the beautiful ideas which kill, and contempt for woman.
10. We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice.
11. We will sing of the great crowds agitated by work, pleasure and revolt; the multi-colored and polyphonic surf of revolutions in modern capitals: the nocturnal vibration of the arsenals and the workshops beneath their violent electric moons: the gluttonous railway stations devouring smoking serpents; factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts flung across the diabolic cutlery of sunny rivers: adventurous steamers sniffing the horizon; great-breasted locomotives, puffing on the rails like enormous steel horses with long tubes for bridle, and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propeller sounds like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Nov 23, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartlebyshop posted:

Even more effective is the system similar to monarchical Europe, where the elites were related by blood and more related to one another than to their subjects. This builds a sense of mutual respect, understanding, and camaraderie that today’s politicians can only blink in confusion about.
I think blinking in confusion over this statement is a perfectly normal reaction for anyone remotely familiar with Mediaeval politics.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Well see if you put atoms together in this way, it looks like a gear! Therefore it will work as a gear and there are no nanoscale effects re: van der waals forces, thermal jitteriness, etc. that will be an issue. Next stop, universal replicators!
Now I want someone to try to build some nano-scale Lehmer chains.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
How could anyone be opposed to global Nanowar?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

bartlebyshop posted:

Don't forget the danger of black people using Drexler-style nanotechnology to destroy the glorious white bourgeoisie. His existential terror of both these things has led him, as far as I can tell an ethnically Slavic person, to ally with straight up Nazis. He likes to tweet a lot about he's really a European Russian, honestly, he swears.

It might sound strange, but no-Nazis are really huge in Russia these days. Its generally the same thing that Hitler used to spout, except that Slavs are actually not untermenschen and are actually the Master Race all along.

Nazis tend to be pretty good at picking up the ideology and dropping whatever doesn't fit with the location. There was a serious neo-Nazi movement in Israel, of all places, founded by Russians with one Jewish parent who emigrated because the Russian government considered them Jewish but then decided that they weren't Jews after all since religiously they weren't considered Jews (or something along those lines, I don't remember the article properly). It was really weird.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

This picture is actually slightly relevant.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

I think blinking in confusion over this statement is a perfectly normal reaction for anyone remotely familiar with Mediaeval politics.

But those blood ties were immensely beneficial - a lot of wars probably didn't happen because the heads of great powers were cousins and - oh.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nazism is big in all kinds of weird places.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But those blood ties were immensely beneficial - a lot of wars probably didn't happen because the heads of great powers were cousins and - oh.

I see no way that Red Pill ideology and ridiculous legalism could ever conflict with each other leading to a terrible outcome.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartlebyshop posted:

I see no way that Red Pill ideology and ridiculous legalism could ever conflict with each other leading to a terrible outcome.
You don't say.

And that's not even counting poo poo like The Hundred Years' War.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I also like the idea that elites not beholden to any form of public scrutiny or support would be less likely to go to war than politicians who have to win re-election every few years. It almost as if their entire worldview runs on the assumption that everyone else thinks like them and that they aren't assholes (they are wrong on both counts, who'd have thought).

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

White women are all fools in bed with the foreign hordes.

Edit: I'm going to leave a quote from the futurist manifesto here. The original Dark Enlightenment. I particularly like 8, 9 and 10.

Somebody needs to give Marinetti a swirly. I can imagine a bunch of SCA rejects stomping through Silicon Valley only to be pepper sprayed by a mall cop.

Dean of Swing has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Nov 23, 2014

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dean of Swing posted:

Somebody needs to give Marinetti a swirly. I can imagine a bunch of SCA rejects stomping through Silicon Valley only to be pepper sprayed by a mall cop.

Unfortunately it is a bit late for that. The Futurists were a primarily Italian movement of impotent middle class artists in the first half of the 20th century. The manifesto was written in 1909. They played a part in the first decade of Mussolini's regime, but eventually ended up getting dumped. I just like the parallels between them and modern More Right/Dark Enlightenment idiots.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Swirly the skeleton.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So why do they put themselves on top of the genetics leaderboard when asians tend to outperform in lots of areas and had one of the longest-running fairly stable monarchies ever known? I mean I know the real reason, that then they wouldn't get to be the magic future space robot rape kings, but what's their bullshit reason?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
simple, asians are philosophical zombies and therefore no match for the wits of the Dark Enlightenment

(bicameralism is a crock of poo poo)

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So why do they put themselves on top of the genetics leaderboard when asians tend to outperform in lots of areas and had one of the longest-running fairly stable monarchies ever known? I mean I know the real reason, that then they wouldn't get to be the magic future space robot rape kings, but what's their bullshit reason?

Oh don't worry, some of them pretend that they really think that

Some DE dude posted:

Multi-ethnic states are not ideal conditions. If one literally treated every racial group equally before the law [Which is what most self identified conservatives want, and what SJW's refer to as colour blind racism] You would have a socioeconomic hierarchy which for the most part resembles what it does now; European Jews on the top, followed by east Asians, then whites, then Hispanics, then blacks. That is not a prescribed order, that is simply what *WOULD* occur.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

bartlebyshop posted:

Oh don't worry, some of them pretend that they really think that
Is this an argument that white people need affirmative action? Is that what I'm looking at here?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

simple, asians are philosophical zombies and therefore no match for the wits of the Dark Enlightenment

(bicameralism is a crock of poo poo)

Haha oh wow, I mean I knew about bicameralism and all that and it never really amounted to more of a "huh I guess that's one way it could have happened" sort of thing for me. I didn't realize anyone thought that asians literally had them to this day. How do you even reconcile that image with anything about reality? Wait I know the answer to that one too.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Is this an argument that white people need affirmative action? Is that what I'm looking at here?

No, the argument is that in fact it's East Asians (except only some of them like Han people or Japanese, not Koreans or anyone from what used to be called Indochina) who are better than whites, and then European Jews are best of all. It's an attempt to backdoor white supremacy by making it seem more palatable because, really, it's not white supremacy. Theoretically we'll totally accept that Asians are smarter than most whites! Then we can just revert to an argument about standard deviations (like we did with women in STEM fields) to show that it's totally acceptable to have white people running everything (more white geniuses after all...) with a token Asian or two so the bamboo ceiling is less obvious.

To make things clear I find everything in the preceding paragraph completely abhorrent and false but they've figured out how to make their poo poo stink less by trying to include Asians in it. It's hand in hand with the attempts PUA/Red Pill dudes are making to get Asian men who feel sexually frustrated due to awful racist stereotypes to hate "Westernized" women.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Haha oh wow, I mean I knew about bicameralism and all that and it never really amounted to more of a "huh I guess that's one way it could have happened" sort of thing for me. I didn't realize anyone thought that asians literally had them to this day. How do you even reconcile that image with anything about reality? Wait I know the answer to that one too.

I think Phobophilia was being partly facetious there (although I agree that bicameralism is highly improbable).

On the other hand, this guy (who probably doesn't identify with the Dark Enlightenment but can be reasonably placed in the same general cluster) does seem to make some arguments about Asian educational achievement that seem to imply that Asians have some special tendency to seem to acquire knowledge without actually understanding it: https://educationrealist.wordpress.com/

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

I think Phobophilia was being partly facetious there. On the other hand, this guy (who probably doesn't identify with the Dark Enlightenment but can be reasonably placed in the same general cluster) does seem to make some arguments about Asian educational achievement that seem to imply that Asians have some special tendency to seem to acquire knowledge without actually understanding it: https://educationrealist.wordpress.com/

This is the guy who teaches in Oakland but thinks Black and Hispanic people are just way stupider than Whites, right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Racists also tend to think of Asians as "good, but not perfect like us whites". They really do think of it like Dungeons and Dragons or some poo poo, where the Asians have "high intelligence" but are weak everywhere else, ditto with Africans but with strength/stamina instead, and then whites are the jack of all trades that do everything great.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Racists also tend to think of Asians as "good, but not perfect like us whites". They really do think of it like Dungeons and Dragons or some poo poo, where the Asians have "high intelligence" but are weak everywhere else, ditto with Africans but with strength/stamina instead, and then whites are the jack of all trades that do everything great.

It's important to note that this only applies to the "right kind" of Asian - some kinds of Chinese, Japanese, and sometimes "high caste" (ugh) Indians. Some of the brighter ones among them like to draw analogies between the Han/high-caste Indians and the Germans in Russia or Austrians in southeastern Europe. Since they want racially homogeneous societies, or societies with what amounts to a slave class, it's fine if the Chinese want to dominate the "obviously inferior" Malaysians. But if those same Chinese want to live in America then of course they can do R&D for us but not actually run anything important!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I like how half the thread is about Justine Tunney. She's right up there with Ahuyiva Harel for the "most pathetic trans woman" award, for good reason.

I'm just wondering if the Venn diagram of DE people and LaRouchites is more like a circle. Certainly they're philosophically similar, and both were active in loving up Occupy before it even got started.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

echopapa posted:

How could anyone be opposed to global Nanowar?

Thank you for showing me the beauty that is Nanowar (they're on Spotify, btw).

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

bartlebyshop posted:

No, the argument is that in fact it's East Asians (except only some of them like Han people or Japanese, not Koreans or anyone from what used to be called Indochina) who are better than whites, and then European Jews are best of all. It's an attempt to backdoor white supremacy by making it seem more palatable because, really, it's not white supremacy. Theoretically we'll totally accept that Asians are smarter than most whites! Then we can just revert to an argument about standard deviations (like we did with women in STEM fields) to show that it's totally acceptable to have white people running everything (more white geniuses after all...) with a token Asian or two so the bamboo ceiling is less obvious.

To make things clear I find everything in the preceding paragraph completely abhorrent and false but they've figured out how to make their poo poo stink less by trying to include Asians in it. It's hand in hand with the attempts PUA/Red Pill dudes are making to get Asian men who feel sexually frustrated due to awful racist stereotypes to hate "Westernized" women.

I didn't realise that was done to recruit Asian men, I thought it was because white PUA types have this weird racist idea about all east Asian women being perfect submissive waifus who will put up with their poo poo, and are somehow different from all the other women who think their approaches are a bit creepy and dehumanising and who expect them to do at least some of the chores.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
One thing I don't get about all of this conspiracy stuff is, if the Jews can secretly take over the world and suppress all dissent, ten why aren't they "naturally" suited to rule? What makes them "bad rulers"?

Besides their not being white.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zemyla posted:

One thing I don't get about all of this conspiracy stuff is, if the Jews can secretly take over the world and suppress all dissent, ten why aren't they "naturally" suited to rule? What makes them "bad rulers"?

Besides their not being white.

The DE doesn't believe Jews are "bad rulers," or even that they're the ones who rule the world. That's part of what distinguishes them from other far-rightists.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

The DE doesn't believe Jews are "bad rulers," or even that they're the ones who rule the world. That's part of what distinguishes them from other far-rightists.

Moldbug does admire anti-semites though

quote:

In fact, anti-Semitism MacDonald style is probably the most courageous political belief anyone can hold in 2007 - at least if you live anywhere west of Gaza City. This does not make it right, but it certainly does not give anyone who believes in "diversity" and "the environment" any right to sneer. I admire conviction, I despise cant. Anti-Semitism was cant in Munich in 1936, or in 1886 for that matter. It is cant in Tehran today. In California in 2007, it can be nothing but conviction.