Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Friend of Gamergate David Auerbach who writes long blog posts complaining about Wikipedia editing wars? Say it ain't so!

Exactly, isn't the author of the Slate article a neoreactionary himself or at least a fellow-traveler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

neonnoodle posted:

Ugh absolutely not. I'm not even a computer programmer but I understand at least that in a number system with zero and place value, having a zero in a place value indicates a "No/False" -- is this place value represented in this number? 0 = No = False.

Obviously the best way to arrange things is to have three truth values, not two: True, false, and unknown, represented by 1, 0, and the Optional/Maybe monad.

If you're creating an entirely new system it's nuts to not actually try to call out null separately since "no value" is such a common concept, and also to be entirely explicit about its propagation by using a monad.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

EDIT: Well I guess you could just declare that +5 volts is zero and 0 volts is 1 if you're an rear end in a top hat and want to be special...

Don't you mean “declare that -5V is zero and ±0 is 1”?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

divabot posted:

I have a copy of Superfreakonomics because I got it for Christmas from a loved one desperate to find something they could actually get me for a present. It's the same market Glibwell targets.

(yes, I read it. No, it's glib bullshit. Yes, I gritted my teeth in a smile and said "thank you!")

If you're looking for a guide to "turns-out" "journalism" check out The SHAME Project. It's kind of like this thread, but for hack propagandists in the service of the right wing.

Like Malcolm Gladwell (2, 3) and the Freakonomics (2, 3) folks.

I'm surprised nobody has put together a comprehensive "Dark Enlightenment" takedown in that style.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

Hey, Mark Ames writes for that site! He's got some pretty shameful stuff in his past:

Yep.

Doesn't make the stuff he's written for SHAME, NSFWCORP, or Pando wrong.

Also, I've heard is that the Exile stuff was more than a bit embellished, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

eschaton has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 7, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Really? I never really delved into it, my first brush with it was in a copy of Snow Crash that came boxed with a tank videogame I got in the early 90s.. Do you have any sources I can check out, I'd be really interested thanks!

The game would be Spectre VR for the Macintosh, which I worked on.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Time Dissolver posted:

poo poo, I played the hell out of that. Honored to speak to you.

Oh, I joined the company too late to do any development on it, I mostly just did some play testing and level layout while Howard fixed the last few bugs.

I did do some work on trying to port it to PowerPC though! Unsuccessfully, alas. The original code was a mix of 68K assembly and Pascal (for which there wasn't a PowerPC compiler available for a while), and it wasn't really feasible in the time I had available while also in school.

Now there's a rewrite available on the App Store, plays just like I remember it!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Theorizing that an evil robot god will torture a simulation of you in the future: a banworthy offense

Saying nazis had some good idea: not a banworthy offense

And that's doubly bizarre considering the founder's family is Orthodox and he probably lost relatives to the Nazis.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Peel posted:

The other thing he credits 'elites' with is knowing how to run an economy, something they've been spectacularly failing at for years.

They're only failing if you think the economy is for everyone's benefit.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gum posted:

It's literally impossible to have a debate with someone who just outright rejects the use of evidence. Best you can hope for is just saying your opinions at each other

See also "Austrian economics" and "praxeology," which is the economic equivalent of Lysenkoism and its political adherence to Lamarck's theories of heritability.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

To be fair, Lamarck's theory was actually legitimate at some point. Austrian economics has relied on sleight-of-hand and willful misinterpretation since its birth.

Both theories when first proposed were not unreasonable, but both Lysenko in the Soviet Union and Austrian economists rejected any evidence that didn't fit their theory for political reasons.

Unfortunately Austrian economics still has plenty of powerful supporters still arguing for it primarily for political reasons, while Lysenko's promotion of Lamarck was finally discarded half a century ago.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

divabot posted:

I used to be a child prodigy - my mum sent me a newspaper clipping from back then, I was in local papers and on TV a coupla times

And you're not going to share with us?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Also the idea of masturbating to a Malcolm Gladwell book or equivalents thereof is funny to me.

"Turns out…"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nobody "no true scotsmans" like libertarians.

Are there libertarian Scotsmen? Not Americans who claim Scottish ancestry, actual Scots.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Illuminatus! is super-dated but it's still pretty fun.

It was dated when I read it, which was probably before some posters in this thread were born...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MizPiz posted:

I wanted to see if I could make one of those "quote without the [quote]" posts, but I never stopped to considered if I should. :ohdear:

:justpost:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cingulate posted:

What's Yud got to do with the Hugos?

He's been trying to figure out ways to get HPMOR in the running, including trying to tap his dad's SMOF connections.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cingulate posted:

In contrast, I don't even know what "SJW" is supposed to mean. I think even "cuck" is better defined.

I actually first encountered the term "SJW" on SA.

It was in a thread mocking people who claimed that being a demisexual trans-ethnic otherkin with fictive headmates (at least one of whom is married to Sephiroth on the astral plane) was just as legit as being trans, and anything that contradicted their preferred view of themselves was a form of violence in need of trigger warnings etc. lest they have an attack of PTSD. Tumblr dot txt stuff.

The term "SJW" was being used then to mock the crazy attention-seekers who were trying to out-special-snowflake each other in their Internet hugbox, and who were coopting the language of social justice to do so.

The canonical example was the person who said, in apparent seriousness when their parents demanded they get a job rather than continue to mooch off them, "A toddler and a flying dog CANNOT do work intended for an adult human."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

And these days this term is used by gators and the like to describe anybody they don't like, because they want people to associate basic civility with crazy otherkin.

There are plenty of genuinely crazy left-wing and lgbt-esque people on tumblr, but right now when an MRA starts talking about "SJWs" that's not who he's talking about. He's talking about women who have the balls to say "I would like to not receive rape threats in my inbox".

Yeah, it's unfortunate how the term has been usurped by terrible people.

On the plus side there are also people trying to undermine the term from the other side and turn it into a positive. "Social Justice Warrior? Sounds awesome, how can I be one?"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smudgie Buggler posted:

To the best of my knowledge these people mean really well and aren't the slightest bit fascistic.

The Dark Enlightenment and Neoreactionary idiots are a direct offshoot of LessWrong.

Eli is almost as much not one of them as the Slate Star Codex guy: Claims not to be, but hangs out with them, takes them seriously, and says a lot of suspiciously congruent things.

(Though to his credit I doubt he has anything at all to do with the couple of hard-core anti-Semites in that crowd.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

It's a little surprising that Elizeier Yudkowsky has seemed to be on that train too, of course, but there's no guarantee he got educated rigorously in Judaism.

He was.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

spite house posted:

Last time this came up someone posted a picture of China looking insanely loving fine and exactly like the dude all these sad, pasty critters wish they were, and now I can't find it. Woe.

Oh well, here's a different one of him looking insanely loving fine

hi there comrade :allears:

That's a Rollins gaze right there. I could see him in a cameo in "Henry & Glenn Forever & Ever."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The events of the past several days have me wondering how the NRx assholes are reacting.

And then I started to wonder if any of them participated in the planning, given that pastebin showing an email chain of white supremacists explicitly planning to show up to Black Lives Matter protests armed with the intent of antagonizing, confronting, and shooting protestors.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think it's just Moldbug's usual obscurantism. You can't prove that his ideas are fundamentally wrong without wading through more bullshit than any sane person would.

Also if he can reinvent the world with all his own terminology which means very subtly different things to the established terminology, it will get people to buy into his philosophy as a side effect of using his poo poo.

I'm pretty sure I've read that as an explicit rationale for all the stupid naming in his stuff. It's like he's stuck in the 1960s, when a lot of that sort of thing were being experimented with. (Eg languages like APL, SNOBOL, Lisp M-Exprs, and so on.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

On that page there was this sentence:

quote:

Instead of writing material to build support and get more funding, Eliezer (and a research team!) can do actual work.

Somehow, I highly doubt this. After all, he has to save his biggest skill—rewiring his brain—for when humanity most needs it, since it's a one-shot deal. He wouldn't waste it on something so mundane as getting over his crippling inability to actually do work.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Somfin posted:

his dad won't roll his eyes when he talks about his stories ever again

I'm pretty sure his dad would roll his eyes way more about the rest of the things than the fanfic.

(His dad is a friend of friends, I've hung out with him at cons and stuff.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

In the world that is constructed here, that sort of makes sense, but the analogy is a little too on the nose: the Alphas should of course be able to describe the general shape of their research even in vague terms, like "we think we should aim where the moon will be instead of where it is" or even better "we think that if we account for gravity we'll have a better idea of how to do trajectory planning". MIRI, of course, can't do that, so the purpose of the analogy forces the Alphas to look artificially stupid, and the Betas even more so.

Also the Alphas in this analogy have a mediocre understanding of algebra at best (certainly none of calculus) and also spend all their time writing stories about King Arthur, except it's somehow totally relevant to rocketry you guys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

People can bitch as much as they want about millennials who don't want to work, but it's a proven fact that people will work harder with a gun in their back for a bowl of rice a day.

They get things done.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Who's AA in this context? Alcoholics Anonymous?

Arthur Andersen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

McGlockenshire posted:

This doesn't mean that there haven't been machines tailored to specific languages / language types before, only that general purpose computers don't think like functional programmers.

And honestly, Lisp Machines aren't that hardware-tailored to Lisp. The MIT CADR and TI Explorer macroinstruction sets are actually relatively conventional, it wasn't until the Symbolics 3600 architecture that things started to really get exotic with 40-bit tagged data paths and things like that.

I say macroinstruction set because these were CPUs with writable microcode, which was regularly updated to modify the instruction set for things like GC support. I only claimed they were relatively conventional…

If you want to peek at the implementation of a Lisp-oriented CPU, take a look at this Verilog Lisp microcontroller implementation.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

divabot posted:

Peter Thiel. Who is using his money the way a nerd billionaire might be expected to, i.e. a million here, a million there on whatever whacky BS takes his fancy (MIRI, Tlon).

Don't forget Thiel is a pretty right-wing libertarian, and has been involved with things like that idea to park a boat full of cheap foreign programmers in international waters near SF to provide indentured servants talented workers to tech companies and the Seasteading Institute.

(Read the goonfic collection "In Golden Waters" if you haven't.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Thiel certainly has enough money to do that, what happened to make him not?

He's not going to put up all the money, that would require commitment. He just threw a token amount at the project like he does with everything else.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I am constantly amazed at how Roosh manages to dress himself in the morning.

Doesn't he still live in his parents' basement?

That could have something to do with it.

Does his mother know what kinds of things he says about women?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Well you say that, but then I think of Creationism and Liberty University et al.

Basically I think eloquent duncery is becoming the new normal. Among wingnuts, as in.

Somebody doesn't remember William F. Buckley, Jr.

Eloquent duncery has been common among the right for a long while.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Let me put this in terms you post-rationalists who wank your insight cocks to insight porn might understand: We at SA do not believe libertarians like Scott and Rev are nazis. In fact, we believe the the Nazi party spread sinister memetic tentacles of Spenglerian damage through the water supply shortly before the Cold War, which created the modern libertarian memeplex.

:tinfoil:

Remember when Reason experimented with Holocaust denial?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

I personally am very glad that Google bought the Usenet archive DejaNews and over time made the service essentially unusable, effectively hiding the secret shames of my youth behind an :effort: wall.

Yes, I am pretty loving old.

Same.

It also preserved the first Open Source I released, so I could find it again recently, which was kind of nice. You know, in case anyone wanted to use Minix 1.5 on 68040 hardware.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gawker, for all it's dumb tabloid flaws, was definitely One Of The Good Ones. It had sections like Valleywag that were great, broke important news stories like The Silk Road, had some genuinely good reporters (Sam Biddle) and, most importantly, was pretty much the last large news outlet that isn't owned by one of the big five media conglomerates.

At least there's still Pando! (Motto: “We’re all hosed.”)

eschaton has a new favorite as of 02:58 on May 27, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

When the hell did Pando stop being just a bunch of press releases?

It's still garbage but it's different garbage, I wonder what happened.

When Sarah bought NSFWCORP and made Paul Carr editor in chief, and also hired Mark Ames and Yasha Levine. I'm glad to see Leigh Cowart has had at least one article too.

I enjoy it quite a bit. For example, they have tons of good reporting on Uber, which led to Sarah being told by an Uber exec that she and her family were "fair game" (in the Scientology "suppressive person" sense) which of course made them double down on the investigative reporting.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Well now I want to put a gun to his head and making him do it for something trivial like a sudoku.

Remember though, he's talked his way out of the box in the AI box experiment...

(He hasn't really. But he totally could!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Magnusth posted:

For the record, i'm pretty sure he just puts up cash in those 'experiments.'

I'm not sure. Yudkowsky bragged that when he played the game with them he'd been able to convince several cultists to let the AI out of the box, but then when he played with people outside his cult, he failed consistently.

So there's something that the cult believes that the boxed AI can prey upon...