Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1stGear posted:

I don't want this thread to die so have the ultimate "Why don't the nice guys get the girl?" video from our friend Davis Aurini.
I keep waiting for him to sneak up on a woman, chloroform her, and then strip off her clothes - before putting them on and sneaking into the Bulgarian embassy to kill a visiting public figure. The turtlenecks just cover up his barcode.

edit:

quote:

Anita Bonghit1 week ago

Alot of your veiws are innacurate. This type if women you speak of, shallow mega sluts, they are not the overwhelming majority. And you seem to be judging women from what you see on tv, not day to day life. And you seem to be viewing males through rose tinted goggles. Men are far from the angelic beings you make them out to be.
Reply · 4
View all 8 replies

Davis M.J. Aurini1 week ago

+Anita Bonghit Bear with me for a moment. Pretend we lived in a world where talk show hosts made endless jokes about a woman who'd been raped and mutilated; who'd had her tits cut off by an angry ex-husband, who put them in the blender afterwards. Imagine Saturday Night Live doing a skit about how "She won't have to worry about breast cancer anymore! Hardy-har-har!" Then, when you point this out to me, I say "It's just a joke - none of my friends would rape and mutilate a woman!" You see what I'm saying here?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Where does Milo Yiannopolous fit into all of this? I have trouble believing that he's not a part of the DE movement, with how pompous and bizarre and repetitive his articles and allusions-cast-as-'valid'-questions/scenarios fits into DE.

UnoriginalMind posted:

What the gently caress is he saying here? I've gone over this like four or five times and I can't make heads or tails of this analogy he's making.
It's a pretty common deflection technique, put together with a patently ridiculous premise to (somehow or other) compare the ludicrousness of how far he takes it, as some sort of way to nullify the point being made by the person being responded to.

You see it a lot with hardcore conservatives, people who don't want to think about how they might potentially be acting offensively to others, etc.

It goes something like this. "Okay I (pretend to acknowledge and) see the point you're making. Now for the sake of argument, let's imagine X, and now imagine X+Y+z equals *difficult question for me to answer*. Do you want to validate my 'logical debating point', or are you going to just REFUSE TO BE A REASONABLE PERSON?!?!"

It's a really kind of amazing way to shift attention from the flaws in one's argument while attempting to paint oneself as some sort of victim because *fantasy scenario as a response to a straight question*.

The epidemic of "welfare queens" are a decent example.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 1, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1stGear posted:

Davis Aurini is here to talk to you about the American and French Revolutions and how they relate to women's sexual liberation. Spoiler: he understands gently caress-all about all three of those topics.

I hate to keep posting him but goddamn, he is a goldmine. This is the dude who wants to be the face of Gamergate.

EDIT: The thing I love most about all of his videos in the Forest of Misandry is how in every one there's a loud, distracting outside noise that any competent video maker would have edited around (or just not filmed in a forest) but gently caress that we need to know about those loving sluts right now!!!!
I like that he starts off "everything needed to be said was said - so I'ma just drop idiot-bombs for 12 minutes between Spider Man quotes."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That was my feeling as well, I heard him in an NPR interview a few days ago where he mentioned how he "only got into this gaming thing a month or two ago" and now he's a firebrand for the movement, as it were... :ughh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why is he sporting an Australian military badge, and filming from within a Gotham City brothel?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Nov 2, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

He gives a pretty direct threat at the end of that video to "take civilization back" from women and black people at the end, right after complaining that nobody's offered him a job for doing his youtube videos, even though he works really hard on them. I think he's going into spree shooter territory.
Would you mind posting the timestamp? I don't think I can stomach the entire video.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Silver2195 posted:

Isn't that the person who claims Beethoven was black?
I don't know enough about Beethoven's ancestors to know if he was black, it seems like it could be possible. Alexandre Dumas was definitely black, though. As was his father (also named Alexandre Dumas,) who was also the highest-ranked black military officer in the the history of the Western world until, well, Colin Powell...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe someone should start a thread about black people who did cool things or who people generally don't realize were black (if there's not one already), "PYF Black People Who Did Neat Things" or something. I'd be interested in it - I read a biography on Dumas a recently (The Black Count) and it was really interesting, and I had no idea that Dumas was black - I just thought he had crazy Einstein hair or something.

I'd certainly get more entertainment and edification out of that thread than watching hours of Aurini's videos. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Double post, so I'll also say that the widespread disgust at his disgusting ideas is also proof of how badly persecuted he must be.
...Kinda like Robert Lopez being persecuted by the LGBT inquisition?

UnoriginalMind posted:

I can't believe I missed this post from the first page. Amazing.

Also, I was unaware that Aurini was a dropout, but that makes sense. Anyone know what he studied? Maybe he paid for his schooling with all that money he made in the :canada: CANADIAN MILITARY :canada:

He was in the military, wasn't he? For like a year? I imagine he killed fitty men. With his fists. While smoking.
Weirdly (to my uneducated american mindset, which sees Canada as the land of happy friendly people who smoke lots of pot,) I've run into a LOT of Canadian military or ex-military who were really, really outspoken racists. Like "holy poo poo did he really just say that about black people? AND follow it up by talking about beating 'injuns' to death as a joke?"

There seems to be some serious racial tension in that country.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 3, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Aurini sarcastically going through a screed on tolerance is pretty :catstare:

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You don't know the half of it. I could make a whole thread about the hosed up race relations here in Canada. Canadian history is a long story about a country's quest to get rid of the First Nations, or failing that, at least getting them out of sight. The short version is that First Nations in Canada are the rough equivalent of blacks in the States (Ghettoization, high incarceration rate, incredibly high suicide rate, reservations without running water, and so on), and we are just as insane about Muslims. Of course, the only reason the modern United States isn't quite so anti First Nations is because they killed enough for them not to be considered a threat to the average rich white guy.
Yeah, looking at a map of Canada's racial demographics I was like "oh no wonder, they're scared of them."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Haha it's a glass of iced apple juice? That's even more ridiculous. They use water/juice in film and on stage because they don't want the person to get drunk - but Aurini doesn't ever, ever sip his drink.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Would a real Übermenschlymensch really need to spend time whining about how people are mean about his looks?

Also, under suggested videos: ADOLF HITLER's Triumph of the Will (1935, 1080p) - German w/ Eng Subtitles :laugh:
Note that the next video (probably filmed the same day, since it's the same office corner with the same open notebook etc laying next to him) is titled "Why I respect Jack Thompson more than Anita Sarkeesian".

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like how reactos simultaneously believe

1: We are in a puritanical society that hates joy and that won't let them have any fun

2: We are in a disgusting decadent hedonistic society that allows too much
Ironically these are almost literally two of the main tenets of fascism.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Dec 3, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Spoiler: she's Justine Tunney.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've been following this thread since page one and I haven't seen this posted yet. Someone dropped this link in the DnD pictures thread. If you're like me and can't sit through an entire Aurini video, this will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Apologies if it was posted already. FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.
I prefer to believe that he's wearing a dickie, not a turtleneck.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a real concept of time preference in non-horseshit econ which simply expresses that an individual's utility calculations can be influenced by the tradeoff of gratification now vs gratification later, without being an estimate of individual worth, but of course if you're busy sucking off Ludwig von Mises you don't really care.
I worked at a psych research center for a good while and they did a lot of studies around this stuff. In every peer reviewed study which I am aware of, they found a direct correlation between cortisol (stress hormone) levels being higher, and people having a more difficult time delaying gratification when given a choice - even when they are aware of a superior potential outcome down the road, be it more candy for waiting a few minutes, or more money for turning down a small fee, in lieu of a larger reward being given weeks later. Stress levels are generally abnormally high among the children of first-generation immigrants, the poor, etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

See, that's an explanation that doesn't glorify white nerds. What kind of SJW mindkilled prog are you?
The scariest part about all of that cortisol poo poo, is that they've already found that high levels of cortisol in children leads to obesity and a ton of other problems, on top of also affecting how their brains develop and negatively affecting their decision-making and planning abilities for the rest of their life, if they developed while under consistent high stress levels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That would be an interesting (if really mean and very unethical) experiment: run it again with a 3rd group who will be lied to about getting their marshmallows, and then see if next time they eat the ones presented to them immediately despite assurances that it won't happen again. See how many iterations it takes before none of the kids will wait.
Not really, that's actually the stuff you usually would learn about in Psych 101 and there's plenty of research on impulse vs reward, and how long a subject will persist a behavior if the reward is intermittent, removed, or otherwise messed with. The most poignant was probably the one with the puppy, the light and the electrified floor - once they randomized the timing between the light going off and the floor electrifying, the dog would eventually just give up trying to avoid it and lie down and ignore the light. There's plenty of marshmallow experiments involving chimps as well, and I'd imagine they've tried lying in certain studies, although "poisoning" the subject presents both ethical and logistical problems when you have a limited/valuable pool to draw from.. All psychological researchers and students who work with humans certainly are very familiar with The Belmont Report because of concerns about being inhumane to subjects, and lying to impressionable children could be a very questionable and risky (for the respondent, not to mention the legal repurcussions potentially) thing to undetake.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jun 9, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sestze posted:

As Col. Santiago from Alpha Centauri would put it:
"A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestionable ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister."
I have literally had a hardcore self-diagnosed aspergers conservative/libertarian/etc brag to me about how he was the captain of a yacht and a crew of dozens of men when he was in high school. Right now he's working at Gamestop and has a wife who's having her fourth or fifth miscarriage (she may or may not be dying her hair to match the number of M-C's) because, well, being a cashier at gamestop is apparently the epitome of solid family-starting time when you're an ubermensch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MizPiz posted:

I feel terrible saying this, but any chance they aren't actually miscarriages?
I dunno, the guy's got this bizarre pity party going on in another forum, about how close his wife is getting to term and how many got lost previously, and how emotionally devastating it is for him. I'm like bro, they hand out free rubbers for a reason and you can't tell me you really are actively trying to put a bun in the oven while you're working part time at a video game store and trying to graduate college.

But it's all the fault of the liberals, who are trying to nullify his 4.0+ GPA.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just your average fat white chick with hair dyed six colors and a penchant for pony cartoons and anime, who married your average neckbeard tea partier.

I actually got curious just now and the guy's at his normal thing again.

quote:

Now I am not saying that the flag itself has not been the calling sign of some racists, but lets be honest here, the flag is just that... a flag.

To say that the flag is racist, is like saying a gun will kill someone. It won't, and the flag isn't racist. It takes human interaction to cause said things to be true.

The KKK didn't make the flag into a racist symbol, the people against the KKK did, they felt they needed to have a symbol to rally against, and since white hoods didn't really do it... the flag was an easy target.

I am not condoning the actions of anyone, I am simply stating that we are talking about an inanimate object as if it has power over us... and I am here to say, that it only has power if we allow it to.

You want something to rally against that is relevant today... rally against ISIS and it's flag.

So lets be realistic, today's Democrats are having an issue with this because it is an easy, and feel-good situation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

lancemantis posted:

Its fun to look through their staff page and see a bunch of people with no real qualifications to be performing research.

Then again its a research institute for sci-fi fantasy AI, as opposed to AI research most anywhere else.
This has always been one of the stand-out points I can come up with against most of the weird pseudo-science stats I see: I look up their cited journals and research institutes and stuff, and they're always, always some 20 year-old website (often with broken hit counters) which cite one or two super extreme-case "scientists" (who are often dead and have very little outside of essentially self-published bibliographies, and lists of retreats and encounters and training exercises which literally span 30 years and 200+ entries).

It's just a weird thing about being entirely loving wrong: when your only sources have no real credentials.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

"The biggest problem with white people is that they're too nice to other races" is a popular fascist idea.
This is an interesting distillation of the SJW attack thing, do you have anything I could check out which explores it further? Or is this just the progression that you get when white people poo poo on white people for not treating their race like their local football team, and just stated elegantly and succinctly?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Are they into lord of the rings and stuff too, or is that too liberal in its importation of 1950s English Christian notions of mercy and forgiveness?
You seem to forget what started this thread off:

It's from The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T, a film Dr. Seuss was involved with in the 50s. Here's the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8TQOzyCu8Q

Never has a man minced like Hans Conried.
The only live-action Dr Seuss movie. And it is totally worth watching for the roller skate fight alone, but the music is brilliant. (I own a copy)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

neonnoodle posted:

The ONLY live-action Dr. Seuss movie :colbert:
Yep! CGI is not live action. If you have entire characters who only appear due to CGI animation..

And LOL @ anyone who thinks cat in the hat was anything but a hungover truck-stop abortion.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Canadian militants are so quaint. They are convinced that the only reason America hasn't invaded (again!) is because of the RCMP being the equivalent of Mossad or something. And they're sooo racist like holy poo poo whoa did that guy just really say that about the aboriginals on the land he now occupies?! :allears:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

Why doesn't this guy just drop the charade and embrace his inner fash? He hangs out around fascists, he kind of sort of criticizes but not really fascist thought all the time, he seems completely obsessed with these neoreaction dorks. Everyone already knows he's a goddamn fascist, he cam give it up now.
Guys like this spend a lot of time accusing everyone who mildly disagrees with them as fascist or "dragging people into the showers," and the like.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

J_RBG posted:

Not to mention that the 'meme' was theorised in various forms pretty consistently pre-Dawkins. He's late to a party he didn't even know existed. And it's been put it in far less dodgy terms than strictly Darwinian evolution.
Really? I never really delved into it, my first brush with it was in a copy of Snow Crash that came boxed with a tank videogame I got in the early 90s.. Do you have any sources I can check out, I'd be really interested thanks!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/27/im-worried-not-enough-teenagers-are-self-harming/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also, Milo gave a half-hearted thank you on twitter to that Cernovich guy for calling him a not-cuckservative, despite him rear end-humping thai ladyboys. Holy poo poo I went down a rabbit hole learning what the gently caress the word is supposed to be about. This Cernovich is like the Stevia guy - even the backdrops for his youtube throwdowns look like they're taken in his mother's living room.

https://therightdrama.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/the-unbearable-faggotry-of-erick-erickson/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Possibly. It's funny as heck to see it on fox news clips.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I picked up Ta-Nehisi's book because I always love hearing him speak, and I suspect he's probably at least that good a writer. And because I liked the play on words in the title and his premise of the "black body" being a two-way filter which changes both how to world sees and treats an individual, as well as how they see and treat the world. He's the only author who's ever given me any kind of base of undertstanding for why all the black dudes I know just act hard, or like they don't give a gently caress, at all times, in all situations. Been too busy to read it however, I suspect it will be a fun and gorgeous read, even if I don't agree with him on some or many points.. Kinda like Anne Rice - I'm just not a cat lady who lives in New Orleans, but at least I can pretend to be in her shoes for a little while.

DarklyDreaming posted:

You know the cliche about Republicans who are all about family values turn out to be very, very gay? Milo's like that, only he's willing to admit he's gay. I don't know what exactly that says about him, but I feel like it's something bad.
Well for one he uses his homosexuality to lend himself credibility on subjects which he would otherwise not be welcome in or a part of (or often even educated about by any stretch), such as #Gamergate, where he's written a bunch of pro-GG stuff and casts himself as "one of the many women and LGBT gamergaters," despite having admitted to multiple people, that he doesn't lpay video games, or actually know anything about the game industry. I'm still not sure how he managed to be the "fair and balanced" voice of rebuttal when #GG hit the mainstream, but good lord did I see him in a lot of interviews alongside women who'd received death threats, crowing about how anti-GGers had sent him threats as well (yet never once producing any examples or proof)..

It'd kinda be like a racist southern white guy finding out he has a black relative 4 generations back, and then using it to lend credibility to how the confederate battle flag stands for his proud history as a poor whiteblack person who went to fight for the rich landowning class of the south who didn't like paying taxes. Sure Milo is gay, but he still seems to hate women, liberals, social safety nets, and the scientific method whenever it doesn't align with his own pre-decided premises.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is the mainstream right (such as Erik, son of Erik) responding to "cuckservative" the first time the mainstream right has acknowledged the internet /pol/8chan/NRx/redpill community?
I'm actually beginning to wrap my head around the word, and holy poo poo is it fun to throw back at someone who accuses you of white guilt or of being an SJW. "I may be guilty about being white, but you're guilty about allowing your country to be invaded (through the back door) by brown people, and you get off on it!" It made one conserva/libert-troll who I commonly have trouble riling up, lose his poo poo at me entirely.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jul 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What is with these people and their self-proclaimed "child prodigy" status? Every time they bring it up it reminds me of
It's one of those little things that show your privilege. When I first went to college to study software engineering, it was a big shock to me to suddenly no longer be the smartest kid in the room, and it took smoe gettnig used to the idea that I was really just average like almost everybody. Most of my classmates never seemed to figure that out, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you reference the paper? I know a few Bayesian-biased researchers who may find it irritating/insightful.
After spending close to a decade in a psych research institution, anyone who throws up numbers without sources - is full of poo poo or just cherry-picking. True science has a longer citation page than the 100 page white paper article in a scientific journal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd like to push Charles Krauthammer into a wide, deep pool of thin concrete.

Am I a bad person?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Aragorn was a descendent of the first men, aka Africans.
Atlantean, to be true to source.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
pray, sing me the song of your kindergarten literature readings of 60 year-old material

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Robotnik Nudes posted:

gently caress u.Someone tried to make an arghument for Simarillion literalism and that's a heresy you loving apostate.
I ignored him because he is misremembering the creation story in the silmarillion anyway. ;)

edit: weirdly, Tolkien and Moldbug do share one thing in common - they spend a lot of time making up fantasy languages.

BobHoward posted:

Nah. As in all else, he is a motherfucking attention seeking loon who's trying way too hard to be clever.

https://github.com/urbit/urbit/blob/master/urb/zod/arvo/behn.hoon

Loon, hoon, kyoooooooooon
why does it suddenly say "hard kiss" in parenths, midway down?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Aug 13, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

They won't have computers or any other advanced technologies for very long with a society like that.
Naw, haven't you read Anathem? They'll be techno-monks, virtually living gods of knowledge!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think their position isn't actually scientific but brute economics: "we "invest" into these people, and yet they refuse to improve, clearly we need to rethink our portfolio and our approach to these toxic properties"
Unfortunately in these watered down, politically-correct times, it's become harder and harder to bundle those people up and sell them to unsuspecting consumers.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

You missed the "hobo kiss", just after a "hen=duct". As to why, well, I refuse to actually try to learn hoon so I can't help you there friend.
Well supposedly they are mnemonic based or something? So I'd say a hobo is probably a temporary (transient) variable, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

luzie posted:

Hoon uses 1 to 4 letter names for everything. It gives arbitrary new names to existing concepts in order to appear obscure while not doing anything actually novel or interesting.

If you feel like deciphering it, "hobo" is defined here along with useful names for some of the definitions in comments.
I was being facetious. I majored in software engineering. I just think that the old "How to Write Unmaintainable Code" keeps being remade by idiots who don't even recognize what kind of absurd waste of time they're performing. I've known people with enormous abbreviation libs just to save themselves typing entire descriptive words, and they are either bad at coding, or insufferable idiots in most other things. Good programming practise is a team affair, and creating a super secret decoder ring just to write out normal poo poo, is something that most of us got over with back when we stopped eating Cracker Jacks.

I like that despite hobo being a kiss wrapper, he still has to write kiss on the same line. Maybe kiss is just a basic term for an object. No, I don't actually care past thinking about it amusedly for a moment in passing.

A White Guy posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?
Read R. A. Wilson's Illuminatus!

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Aug 14, 2015