Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Time Dissolver posted:

They made the magic cards themselves? I had figured it was the work of some admirer.

This is a group that called itself 'The Dark Enlightenment'. Figure nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Does Yudkowsky even want to be associated with these people? It's a different and way worse flavour of daft to his stuff.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Justine Chuuni.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A bloviating neofascist is a pretty good choice to write a potted history of LF, really.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Didn't Helldump precede LF or am I misremembering?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you think the nazis seemed this pathetic when they tried appropriating vikings and poo poo, or is it more the face that these turds are using comfortable nostalgic avatars of their bourgeois childhood to style themselves the death of liberal democracy?

Like, how scary can you be when you can't let go of your suburban home and how Dragon Ball Z helped you feel safe when you were a fat nerd who got bullied every day?
Nazi germanic mysticism and parading would be just as laughable if it wasn't legitimised by being connected to actual power. Luckily these guys have little chance of snaring more than a few impressionable silicon valley wunderkind.

You can compare the KKK's goofy names too. 'Grand Dragon'. 'Imperial Wizard'. The history of radical right thought is the history of ridiculous dorks.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The other thing he credits 'elites' with is knowing how to run an economy, something they've been spectacularly failing at for years.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

We can use experiment to establish things that aren't directly measurable but which are implied by measurements via a successful theory? That's pretty mindblowing stuff, my mate Francis Bacon will amazed when he hears about this revolutionary new development.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm just going to assume he's getting a lot of asks from concerned parties about how this random twitter statement that was clearly in jest means Ta-Nehisi Coates thinks all white people should be genocided or whatever.

Maybe he considers Coates a serious thinker because he advocates genocide. Not that he personally is in favour of genocide, you understand.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Disqualified if you ever attended two protests or more? Jesus Christ those are some reactionary fuckers. Don't want no people with actual opinions here!

Also, no urban music.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

Definitely the words of people who don't want identity politics in comic books :ironicat:

tbf I think Vox Day, unlike the Sad Puppies, has been pretty open about having a political agenda. It's the others that put on the contortion acts.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Did he try to do more with the idea than just suggesting it as a notion in one of his books? That's all I remember but I haven't read all of his work.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

My understanding is the Japanese nerd-right is mostly centered on militarism and fighting the villainous Chinese. I used to say this made it distinct from the American nerd-right's libertarian focus, but the latter's collapse into outright reaction has probably closed the gap some.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Oligopsony posted:

Does anybody have a sense of when this happened? It seems like the Google Ron Paul crowd has neatly separated into reaction and Feel The Bern, and it's definitely clear that libertarianism is the most common reactionary background story (one even described it as "post-libertarianism") but I'm not seeing any eg sharp trend lines on Google Trends (other than a rise in alt-right shibboleths from around the end of the decade) or the like so I might just be forcing a narrative.

It is a tempting narrative. As a social democrat I tend to think of American libertarianism as a structure of liberatory rhetoric surrounding a practical outcome of elitism, racism and so on. If 2008 and the aftermath did a lot of damage to libertarianism's credibility, then it's natural to expect an exodus in those two directions depending on which was the heart of the appeal (to be hideously reductive). Since then the American political polarisation has hardened the camps.

But like you I'm skeptical. It's a narrative that flatters my preconceptions, with a neat division of redeemed and damned libertarians.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I saw (but didn't read) articles with titles about 'Christianity under attack' or words to that effect, but they were from right-wing outlets rather than 'the media' as a whole. However I'm also not American.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

SatansOnion posted:

And when the "trait" at issue is "being a really good President", you're getting deep into "perfect frictionless spherical cow population of cows" territory.

The argument is a joke from a post full of jokes. The rest of them are about the kabbalistic implications of Ben Carson's neurosurgery or whether humans should rationally precommit to ignore everything Cruz says because he won a debating competition.

I mean it may well reveal errors in his understanding of statistics but let's not slip into mock thread failstate #1 here.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If fascism is a disease of the body politic, neoreaction is chuunibyou.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I've seen the idea of smaller units in a broad federation being an endstate of the EU project from advocates so it's not totally from nowhere. Scotland, for example, is more pro-EU than the UK as a whole.

They may be rationalising just as much, though.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Don't worry, he got it back.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Also English language education in India is relatively good, so you're more likely to encounter Indians in a position to read and respond to your tweet than otherwise, all else equal.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I am also naive to all of those fields, so could you talk me through it so I don't have to guess?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That is actually very interesting.

Are there good easily-available starter resources for studying this? I'm a physicist by training but I've wanted to become informed on this topic even if I don't land there for an actual job.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Can you be a bit more specific on where you are and what you want?

I'm finishing up a physics PhD so I'm comfortable with maths and programming, and I'm interested in resources or texts which will help me achieve or at least get started on a lay familiarity with machine learning, for personal interest. I'm not opposed to spending money if a book isn't easily accessible via library.

Practical stuff like the Karpathy thing is also cool, though my computer is pretty weedy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, that looks really cool. Thanks.

e: actually, while we're here, what's the difference between linear svm and linear discriminant analysis? I assume they're two different ways of getting to results of that 'shape'?

e2: the 'neural networks have to be so small they can't learn everything they see' thing is the most interesting thing I've heard all week. It mirrors directly the philosophy of science point that you can trivially describe a 'law' to 'govern' any set of data by just writing the data down again, but it won't have any application outside the data. You want your laws to encompass the data with simpler principles. It's cool when something so abstract appears directly in real work.

Peel has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Feb 14, 2016

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A thread about actual factual AI research would be pretty great. These threads keep sliding into discussing the topics themselves rather than dorks mangling them for the same reason those people take enough interest to mangle them: they're cool and interesting.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, I have that thread still bookmarked pretty much for that reason.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Cingulate keeps this thread from entering the mock thread death spiral.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

pro-thana

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

nobody's stopping you making a new thread about your dubious psych theory buster

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The sleep posts are interesting and people should stop straining to whine about cingulate.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

please no more giant metaposts, just laugh at DE people and have derails on interesting science

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What was the charge?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

eschaton posted:

Also the Alphas in this analogy have a mediocre understanding of algebra at best (certainly none of calculus) and also spend all their time writing stories about King Arthur, except it's somehow totally relevant to rocketry you guys

Also they're attempting to solve spaceflight using aristotelian physics and a ptolemaic model of the cosmos, while dismissing the people making inroads on newtonian mechanics.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

this is actually bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This is the first thing by Moldbug I've ever actually read.

Initial reaction: 'politics' and 'democracy' are not synonyms because you while you can't have democracy (good) without politics (bad), you can have politics (bad) without democracy (good). For example, in a monarchy.

Does his stuff normally just fall over right at the first hurdle like that?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/why-eliezer-yudkowsky-should-back-neoreaction-a-basilisk-a-bayesian-case/

lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Please stop engaging Hermetic.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Peel posted:

Please stop engaging Hermetic.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is there some big body of people who both 1. are 'progressives' and 2. think Gawker isn't a rag that Rev is sallying against here? I've never heard anyone with a good word for them but maybe I'm in the wrong circles.

This doesn't include people who think Gawker is a rag and who are alive to the dangers implicit in an oligarch shutting down a media site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A Man With A Plan posted:

Good news everyone! The alt-right has been neuteted. We can close the thread now.

There's still one goal left for the last 16 hours of the nurkzab kickstarter though.

Kickstarters go fast in the last day but it's still close.