Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like gawker and the rest of the kinja krew for their uncanny ability to piss off nerds about everything :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munin posted:

The sad fact that a cashier job (or three) is what many people have to rely on to raise their family out of necessity. I am sure though that our budding ubermensch and captain of industry does not see himself in that set though.

Not that this isn't absolutely the case for far too many people, but he seems to be in the position to, you know, wear a condom right now and have a family later when he can afford it like the perfect rational actor he is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

American conservatism has a fetishistic set of symbols and dog-whistles around the 1950s -- when folks left their doors unlocked and everything was the Andy Griffith show! The unspoken message being, "Things were great until all THOSE people started getting uppity!"

I always imagined the fetishizing of the 50's came from people growing up in the McCarthy era where if you didn't announce what a GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL AND FREE AND NOT COMMUNIST COUNTRY AMERICA IS every 5 seconds you got blacklisted. A lot of the modern in-power conservatives (or their parents, in some cases) came of age in that and took it entirely at face value and then the 60's hit them like a brick and now we must suck since we totally used to love america way more all the time :patriot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I don't know if anybody here has a personal acquaintance who is roughly aligned with manosphere or NRx stuff but it is an extremely frustrating experience. Since they usually like and respect you, they try to convince you that you're an ubermensch and should unite with them against the underclasses. But if you are left of centre, they also tell you that you're a fool because of your beliefs. The most confusing conversation I've ever had was when an acquaintance tried to convince me that I had the Empathy Gene, a gene most often expressed in white people, that proved whites were better than blacks... but that empathy was foolish, and I should stop empathizing with black people. :psyduck:

"You see the Vulcans on Star Trek were so cool because they had emotions and learned to completely suppress them, not because they were void of them completely" - what a nerd thinks probably

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

For sure. There always is.

No shut up the only factor at play is that I'm genetically superior to everyone I don't like and deserve to be king :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

What kind of answer do you want - a biographical one, where I explain how I started listening to Hitchens a lot because I became interested in oratory and so on, an appraisal, where II talk about Harris' arguments I like, or a meta one, where we all (unironically) give that 1. we're all liberals etc. and understand Harris is shunned because he's almost a racist and definitely an imperialist and I have to defend how I could have the audacity to diverge from the implicitly approved groupthink?

Is it too late to still get number three? I think we all want to hear number three.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So they have their own stupid ideas around "toxoplasma?" Because it sounded to me like he just grabbed at a big word that sounded spooky and bad that he had heard before but didn't remember very well and shoved it in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

America is a communist* country.

* A word which here means something completely different than what other people mean when they say "communist"

America is literally located on the Moon

[t/n: literally means figuratively and also not]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm just reminded of this

I'm the #niCUCKelodeon :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We've been over this before. He doesn't understand Bayesian anything because he doesn't even understand conditional probabilities.

No you see if anything has a nonzero probability it is certain to happen in some possible alternate universe and therefore should be treated as if it has a probability of 100%!

Coincidentally in some possible alternate universe I am now King of Cool Guys With Good Ideas so you better start respecting me!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The singulatarian community is similar to the zombie apocalypse fandom. Much of the original work is about the anxieties of modern civilization. Singulatarian stories often have themes revolving around dehumanisation of society by technology, and social stresses that form through contradictions between optimal behaviours and humanity's biological predispositions. Zombie apocalypse stories are often about the revelations of the true nature of individuals in the face of a crisis. Protagonists are only in the position they are in due to blind luck: one misstep and they lose their life and individuality. From this unprepared baseline, good men can go bad.

In both forms of literature, "fans" take one look at the scenarios, and think to themselves "I really hope all these awful events take place, because in my arrogance I'm sure I'd always make the Correct Decisions". They strip out all the interesting parts of the settings, all the anxieties, and replace them with power fantasies.

Back in 9th grade CAD class my teacher made the whole class stop learning CAD for a week to instead research and do a report on the singularity and Kurzweil and that stuff and even back then when I had no idea what he was talking about after some cursory research I was like "uhh assuming these graphs will increase exponentially forever is a bad assumption especially since here's some other graphs that leveled off" and he just did one of those "yeah well that's like, your opinion, mannnn" and I got a B on it.

OK thanks for listening to my dumb highschool story everyone :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

And where, exactly, is the energy for this simulation going to come from if the universe is near heat death? There is no "loophole" to that.

Something something black hole event horizon something time dilation.

(it's actually a Real Science Idea I've seen put forth before that could allow a simulation to run for near-infinite time in finite space using finite energy but it was a thought experiment and I'm sure these guys missed that part)

EDIT: I have just been told that that's the plot to Interstellar, I haven't seen it so I had no idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Traditional social structures are failing, therefore I must merge my body with the Sandtrout, and live for a hundred thousand years as the Sandworm God-Emperor of a Thousand Stars

Mods please change my name to Sandtrout tyia

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Just caught up on the thread; I'd like to point out this gem from that piece (italics his):

What is with these people and their self-proclaimed "child prodigy" status? Every time they bring it up it reminds me of

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

It's one of those little things that show your privilege. When I first went to college to study software engineering, it was a big shock to me to suddenly no longer be the smartest kid in the room, and it took smoe gettnig used to the idea that I was really just average like almost everybody. Most of my classmates never seemed to figure that out, though.

During orientation my first week of college, the dean was giving a big speech to all the incoming freshmen and one of the things he said was "A lot of you were probably the smartest kids in your highschool, maybe even your town! But now you're all on the same level, it will take some getting used to!" and I remember thinking "oh I'm definitely not the smartest kid at my highschool and I got to this college merely by being really good at taking tests and scoring high on the SAT's but I'm not really that good at classwork I hope nobody finds out :ohdear:"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Merdifex posted:

Have you guys come across the clever alt-right troll Godfrey Elfwick? Satirizing what the shitlibs think (trust me, they totally do!) by taking their beliefs to their logical extents!

Hey guys let me tell you about how Harrison Bergeron is a cautionary tale about progressivism...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hellequin posted:

I think you're thinking of Aristasia, which had a weird fantasy world as part of it and involved a lot of Victorian S&M. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martindale

I've got some links saved somewhere because it was such a fascinating and bizarre thing.

That wiki page is very sparse, care to post the links?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

What do you mean by homogenization? Just that they all become enamored with the same idiot garbage? Because the internet breeds lunatic echo chambers all the time, but I can buy that they end up pretty similar in the end.

All subreddits are just like one big subreddit, maaan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/13/cuckservative-republicans-conservatives-jeb-bush

The Guardian posted:

The term “cuckservative” caught the eye of puzzled observers this week amid the froth of commentary floating around the race to become the Republican nominee for president in 2016.

It has been dubbed a sign of a “raging civil war” tearing the Republican party apart, “the GamerGate” of white supremacists, and a meme expressing “a certain kind of contempt”. But the dictionaries have yet to step in, leaving readers to take it apart more or less on their own.

Yesssssss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Jack Donovan. He's a gay neo-nazi dude who fetishizes ultra-masculine warrior cultures from antiquity. He refuses to call himself gay and instead uses the term "androphile" because current gay culture is too feminized for his tastes.

He is actually more insane than I'm making him sound but I don't have all night

Oh boy I remember him from a different thread a while ago, he's hilarious. If you read Oglaf, he's basically the one with those two gruff ultra-manly warrior dudes super-manly-manfucking each other. Except he's not actually that manly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

The furthest alt-right you could go and still be in neoreaction.

What exactly is right-er than NRx, outright murdering everyone in the world?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that LW and SSC are kind of a lesson in how learning about all those fallacies doesn't stop you from obviously committing them constantly.

Meta-Fallacy Fallacy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

He is the perfect demonstration of that principle, in fact.

What's he done? All I know about him was when I read Why People Believe Strange Things when I was a shithead teenager.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

For one thing, he's a serial sex criminal! So there's that. But also, he's one of these skeptic apologists for free market economics. Even though he's no longer a Randroid, he hasn't rejected the bulk of libertarian ideology, only the cult-of-personality parts of Objectivism.

It's probably just because Leonard Peikoff is just not all that charismatic. In an alternate universe where Ayn and Nathaniel stayed together, there would probably be an even deeper cult around her, if that can be imagined.

Yeah okay. I guess I never took him for a libertarian since an entire chapter of Strange Things was about why Ayn Rand's cult of personality was awful.

Are you serious about the sex criminal thing? I can't find a single mention of it on the wiki page...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well that's just loving terrible, thanks for catching me up :stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolie Ghost posted:

It just stuns me that these guys have never heard of the Female Choice research during the 80s and 90s on various primate societies. We have multiple documented examples of female chimps leading the alpha males around in random walks until the male is tired, and then leading him to an area where he has an aggressive competitor, and while those two are fighting, skimps off to the bushes to mate with a "lower status" male primate who grooms her more frequently. Do they not know about basic sexual dimorphism in primates? They can't even get their pet theories right! I've only taken rudimentary bio courses to supplement my psych studies and even I know this. I try explaining this and other basic tenets of evo psych to my almost-TRP brother and he just goes "you don't get it man, evolutionary psychology says I'm hosed! I'm hosed!"

So if I'm cherry-picking that study correctly, what you're saying is that Nice Guys™ are a phenomenon that's been observed in nature :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My friend just told me the following and I thought you'd like to hear:

quote:

A few years ago I tried to read a book written by one of the sad puppy dudes, the monster hunter international series, and I couldn't take it at ALL seriously because in the first few pages it was like "UH YEAH I'M PRETTY MUCH AN AWESOME BADASS, MY BOSS IS A PIECE OF poo poo WEAK LIBERAL BUT LUCKILY I CONCEALED-CARRY MY BIGASS GUN AT WORK SO WHEN HE TURNED INTO A WEREWOLF I BEAT HIS rear end UP AND SHOT HIM"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They can't be that like the Dork Enlightenment because DE hates "degenerate" art like literally anything that's not exact realistic depictions of things.

I mean pretty spot on in every other way, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

And if anybody's interested, today (purely by coincidence I'm sure) The Nation has an interview with the Puppy's antithesis, Samuel Delany. It's a hell of a read.

Huh, I thought he was dead. 13 year old freshly-gay me loved Dhalgren :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wait, NAMBLA is real? I honestly thought South Park made it up. It seemed like some ridiculous parody of a real organisation.

That's uh ... that's sure something.

It was real. It as an organization hasn't existed in any meaningful form for like a decade now, but of course it's not like the Internet didn't keep the "movement" alive :barf:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Aug 26, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

The idea that a humanities education actually helps you help making the world a truly better place is highly speculative.

It wouldn't necessarily make the world a better place in and of itself but at least it would force STEMlords out of their comfort zones for part of their lives.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Either way, "understanding the human condition" is rather different from "understanding car engines" in the sense that the latter allows you to fix cars, but the former doesn't allow you to fix humans/society. Or cars, sadly.

I think the idea is more that if we include it in education properly they'll be less likely to make poo poo up to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. I mean look at Moldbug, to bring it back around - you don't get to that level of smartly stupid through actually studying the things you're trying to make statements about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Political Whores posted:

I think forcing integration would probably work better. Don't let people shield their children in bubbles. It will matter a whole lot more than whatever mediocre introduction to politics and history an elementary or high school teacher can provide. Especially when it comes to empathy for people lower on the economic totem pole, for which I find humanities students aren't much better than business school assholes about.

E; Quote is not edit.

Yeah I think actual active, mandatory integration of schools would transform the country into a massively better place within a generation. This will also never, ever happen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The happier the man, the more stupid he is. The more a person enjoys his life, the more superficial his personality. The retard always has a smile on his face no matter what. The better a fellow’s spirits, the more he is possessed by alien beings. Just as the most disgusting woman always laughs the loudest, so the most obtuse man will always be the most outgoing. The slave always greets you with a smile and a kind word.

What.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

It's completely commercialized by mainstream interests now.

See also: http://www.salon.com/2015/08/27/why_the_rich_love_burning_man_partner/

Fun fact: It's also where billionaire tech asshats go to feel like they aren't totally isolated from the world

Also this year it was inundated by MILLIONS OF BUGS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

What is he ranting about in relation to Brahmin? All goggle is turning up is a line of hand bags and fallout New Vegas articles.

You see America has a caste system and we have to use the terms from India's caste system because it makes our writing more impenetrable and academic sounding! So basically he went to a college for one particular caste but they kicked him out because he was too edgy (read: an overtly racist asshat).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Merdifex posted:

He's referring to Moldbug's American castes, which is racist, and is pure supposition, with a mix of Moldbug's own brand of dog-whistling (which is human audible, but yet pretends it isn't, if it even cares.) I don't even know what to say about it. It's not something you can prove or disprove, just soak in the bullshit nature of it all.

Moldy Bugs posted:

In the Dalit caste, status among men is defined by power, wealth and sexual success, among women by attractiveness and popularity.

I love this sentence the most because it's really really transparently viewing the world through the eyes of a nerd in high school who gets beat up by those mean jocks who date cheerleaders.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Atheist libertarian MRA. The trifecta.

I like that they had to explicitly say it's not an M4M gay hookup group, I wonder why they put that in :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

In case you weren't going to click:

Does anyone have that :ironicat: that just keeps getting bigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

It makes total sense if you just assume the DE forces aren't actually out to do anything but seize power, with the DE itself as a convenient way of leveraging themselves into power that they can't earn under our current system. They'll embrace the Cathedral the instant it works in their favor. The philosophy itself is purest sophistry. Since it's just a means to an end, whatever deals they make to gain power will be easily rationalized.

I'm sure they've made up some "well the natural order of things means that me, pasty freelance blogger, will be crowned king by divine right!" reason or something along those lines.