Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My Posting Career would seem like a good target for a Weekend Web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The problem is that they're an SA spinoff so they'd get really obnoxious about it.

That sounds like it would make it better and funnier.

Also, half the Internet is a spinoff from SA at this point, and I feel that it's our God-given right to persecute people who refused to pay :10bux:.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The mean spirited guy is incredibly vain, because his spirit is way, way, way below the mean. "Mean spirited" has to do with the arithmetic mean, the average. It was a way for the nobility to make fun of the plebs. He is so much worse than average, though.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

[citation needed]

What?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

I believe he's asking where you got the idea that 'mean spirited' meant the arithmetic mean or 'common pleb' - I suppose because the historic etymology is somewhat cloudy.

For the record, the adjective 'mean' to mean (heh) cruel, spiteful, etc. supposedly comes from the Old English gemǣne, from the same root as the Germanic gemein (common). Basically the idea that commoners were petty and small-minded, unlike the noble class.

Interesting. Although it amounts to the same thing, doesn't it? I'll cheerfully admit to being wrong if I'm wrong, but it sounds like meanness works the same way from either etymology.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

Oh I was basically agreeing with you, just saying that while it's not the arithmetic mean, it does indeed come from 'common'

Shockingly, it turns out I know literally nothing on any topic. Neat, though.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I think lowtax and fart are the only two people I follow on twitter

I'm never on twitter

Let's take a moment to remember that Lowtax loving owns, and just because this is a dying comedy forum (it's been dying since I signed up, somehow it lives on) Lowtax will forever loving own.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

The early Germanics were less barbarous than popular history (heavily informed by Roman propaganda, which was little more factual about Germanics than Hans-Hermann Hoppe is about black people)--they had writing, kings, governments, and nations. However, they happened to be occupying land that Rome wanted, so the Romans invented racist nonsense to justify stealing it from them and selling them into slavery.

Hey, that sounds familiar...:911:

Aren't you thinking of the Celts? The Germans got off OK, partly because Rome didn't actually want their land.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

Actually, they did, but the Romans didn't have diseases that could kill 90% of the German population like whites did in the Americas, so they ended up losing a shitload of troops to German ambushes and gave up.

They had some very significant setbacks when they crossed the Rhine during Augustus's reign, true, but overall Germany was more like Ireland or Scotland in that the Romans largely just couldn't be bothered.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

The whole Sartre essay that I quoted some of above. Holy poo poo, it's completely about our alt-right friends, in 1946.

That's a pro click.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Are there any DE "thinkers" left? I'm not talking about general purpose alt-right losers, I mean Carlyle-quoting monarchists and the like. I haven't seen any good hate reads posted here in a while.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm uncomfortable with describing all Trump supporters as functionally racist or racist-adjacent or whatever when the word "racist," as applied to human beings, carries the connotation of "bad or malevolent person." In the context of my preferred liberal echo chambers, racists are people that you can feel free to spit on, basically. Knowing the connotation and using the word anyway in a context like that is dangerously useless.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Marcus Aurelius posted:

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today inquisitive, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill. But I, because I have seen that the nature of good is the right, and of ill the wrong, and that the nature of the man himself who does wrong is akin to my own..., I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of upper and lower teeth. To work against one another therefore is to oppose Nature, and to be vexed with another or to turn away from him is to tend to antagonism.

There are basically those who understand what old MA was saying here, and those who don't. The latter are exhibiting a highly peculiar combination of smugness and despair.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Do fascists like Robert Anton Wilson and trolling Big Yud now? Maybe fascism is something worth getting behind after all.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Illuminatus was good.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Illuminatus was good, though.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ate all the Oreos posted:

Someone's reply to that Nyd tweet made me suddenly vaguely remember this funny thing someone made a year ago and I spent like 10 solid minutes trying to figure out the correct combination of google keywords to find it so even though it has nothing to do with anything I'm gonna foist it on this thread to make it feel like it was worth it

http://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/post/126993307991/quoms-the-best-ever-bitcoin-cannabis-drone

It was worth it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

As a cool non-tumblr-havr, that links to nothing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

You're living in a bubble. In the real world, your president-elect is Donald Trump.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean in your head, but the actual message it expresses is "Cingulate continues to be a dumb rear end in a top hat."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm not reading this but I appreciate you posting

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's cool that these guys have decided to consciously ape the fascists, some of history's greatest losers. I anticipate this going well for them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What did Vince Vaughn do, anyway?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Scott Alexander posted:

I mean, really. If, like Nietszche, your thing is the BRUTE STRENGTH of the valiant warrior, do you think that the modern office worker has exactly as much valiant warrior spirit as the 19th century frontiersman?

What a dummy. What is it about Nietzsche that causes him to be brought up by people who've never read his works?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

but the system in Scandinavia works and has executed infinitely less innocent victims than the American system.

Rare to see "infinitely less" as a kind of euphemism for "finitely fewer."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

Depends how you interpret - I was suggesting a ratio of 0 innocent victims of the Scandinavian system to <x> of the American system. The absolute value is undoubtedly a finite number but my point was that the Scandinavian system will produce 0 in perpetuity, thus causing an endlessly changing ratio (assuming neither system changes). Hence my X system v Y system being 'less' (implying ratio) instead of 'fewer' (implying numerical comparison).

You would still just say "100% less" then. I can see an argument for stating that the US executes infinitely more people, although that'd still be pretty dumb.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

His "welfare czar" is the author of The Bell Curve, because Scott's a loving Nazi.

It's a post-Trump election world, there's no need to hide it anymore.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9waxR6wk_s

This fellow seems to have the right ideas, let's all follow him!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Those are ISIS dudes showing off a captured flag, right?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh, I get it now, they've partially knocked over the ISIS flag in the background.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
CotSG is a real fake religion? Something one can be active in? I thought it was like Discordianism.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We can still post Yud stuff here, right?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

failing forward posted:

That is a word salad with zero nutritional value. That is an iceberg wedge. That is ice with celery leaves. He is not saying anything. I think I am going crazy. He's doing the thing he is complaining about. I-- I--

It's very poorly written, and that's the first thing I took from it, but he's not saying nothing, he's saying something extremely dumb: "Are you all as shallow and vapid as you appear, or is it simply that you lack the skills for self-expression that abound so naturally in a genius like myself?" He's a pretentious 16-year old in a rapidly decaying shell.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What was his deal again? Is he the ancap papist?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who doesn't work in statistics who describes themselves as "Bayesian" should be set on fire.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not really comfortable with morally condemning people based on their aesthetic tastes, to be honest.

The central question of personal ethics is "what ought I to do?" In this case, the answer is "develop better taste in art." Inasmuch as they fail to do so, they deserve to be judged for their unethical behavior. :colbert:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Race Realists posted:

goddrat benghazi is having the most glorious meltdown :allears:

Wait, where?

lol if you can't pump out 3000 words in half an hour on anything you've enjoyed enough to actually think about.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I used to peruse this thread, but I haven't for 6-8 months. Are Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson subjects of this thread now, or is there a separate thread for people like them?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ravenfood posted:

Same. Personally I thought it was fun to try to figure out something about an author when he swings wildly between revolutionary ancap moon colonies that require unprecedented AI power to "function", an ode to fascist militarism, and an exploration of free love communes and a new religion. Comparing and contrasting those is pretty great, and I'm not sure that Heinlein was ever 100% endorsing any of the societies he lays out in any of those books.

The an-cap society of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was, explicitly within the text, something that could not work.

Prior to the revolution, it relied on the benign tyranny of Earth forces, and, due to impending extreme environmental collapse caused by everyone following their own individual self-interest, the society would literally eat itself within decades.

During the revolution, it was held together by an omnipotent Big Brother (seriously, the computer was named Mycroft).

After the revolution, it immediately gave up its earlier anarchist pretensions -- which were just that, as stated above -- to adopt parliamentary democracy.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BobHoward posted:

One of the main lecturers is a likely authorial self insert and, even so, he's pretty fun. By all accounts, Heinlein prided himself on writing well, and he knew enough about the craft to avoid being a Rand.

Almost every male character in every Heinlein novel is a self-insert. The thing was, he contained multitudes, so it actually worked out OK for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Friend of the thread Cingulate is over in the libertarian thread talking about his fondness for Charles Murray.