Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Has Scott revisited his whole “stop calling Donald Trump a white supremacist” in light of the events of the last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ate all the Oreos posted:

Man you had it for like, two and a half sentences there buddy, what happened

You have 31 pages of posts in this thread, how do you not know who LoB is.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
RokoCoin. You've seen it, you can't unsee it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hate Fibration posted:

The actual trick here is to stop living in your head and start being a part of the world around you. Focus less on being successful and more on forming genuine connections with the people around you and in your life.
Do your best to cultivate meaningful experiences that have nothing to do with your intellect. Go dancing, talk to strangers about stupid poo poo, wander around town or a forest and look at cool poo poo and do your damnedest not to think about yourself. Eventually you will learn a trick for it. Focusing on my breathing works for me. Another good trick is learning a lot about local plants and animals, especially insects, before going hiking. Then you have a massive variety of things to focus on that aren't you.

Boo! Boo this man!

After lessons my dancing is terrible, and after years of practice I smile on the outside while internally I say, with dread, "I have nothing to say in this conversation, what can I do when the conversation stops?"

There's no "actual trick." "Stop living in your head" is a cliche. Don't be facile.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hate Fibration posted:

It is a cliche for a reason. If none of that works then you should probably get anti-depressants.

Jesus Christ.

I only mentioned my own experiences to hopefully make you realize that your own experience could not be generalized, and there is no "actual trick."

Your response is "well, if my 'actual trick' doesn't work, I guess you should take...drugs. I don't know which ones, I'm not a doctor or anything. Just not weed, that won't work."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hate Fibration posted:

I was deliberately not engaging you and being flippant you weirdo.

Shaddup. You'll note I quoted your original, very flippant post.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Munin posted:

Sorry, I can't let totally let this go as telling someone with social issues that they should just go out take dancing lessons etc is about as useful as telling someone with depression that they just need to cheer up.

Second piece of advice of talking to a Psychologist (and I'd add to that talking about your problems to someone you trust if a Psychologist isn't an option for some reason) is much better but also not a Panacea.

Call it stupid and leave it, for the sake of comity.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zohar posted:

If you can be bothered with this stuff the original, meandering post about it by Spandrell is here: https://bloodyshovel.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/leninism-and-bioleninism/

I read some of this and then gave up out of boredom.

It's always the same dreck, with the NRx and the rationalist posts. They act like they're Jane Goodall studying us apes, and refuse any awareness of their own apeness.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

or tl;dr on Scott's post:

"bitch be cray, ignore the crazy lady"

tumblr tried to make me log on to see that stuff. I think it was so terrible he took his blog private. Anyone have a cp?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There should be a Mock the Alt-Right thread and a Mock the Rationalists thread, because the OGs of the DE are gone now. What even happened to Mencius Moldbug?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

Just came up in the alt-right thread: Counter-Currents: Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid vs. Ethnonationalism. Not too long for a "what the gently caress did I just read." And it's kinda comforting to see these guys hate themselves as much as they hate everyone else.

I saw that on reddit. The title made me think it was generated by a Markov chain.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just read that dreck, and now I'm starting to miss Mencius Moldbug.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Currently being subjected to universal mockery on the front page of reddit.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

gayest of posters posted:

Someone asks why Scott's audience has so many loud far-right voices. Scott's response it to look at at 10 random comments on the SSC subreddit... and guess what, turns out there are no far-right commentators!

Jesus Christ.

quote:

I looked at the first ten top-level comments I saw on the subreddit Culture War thread right now. I classified four as neutral, three as left-to-liberal, three as center-right not out of place in the National Review [...]

When the National Review is "center-right" to you, you have lost your goddamn mind.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pfff, that's actually r/ssc.txt. That Twitter account is a fraud!

r/ssc is so rabidly right-wing these days that their weekly Culture War threads could fill up a thread of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Relevant Tangent posted:

This thread is dead so post them here if you like. Nobody'd mind seeing it repurposed I imagine.

Nah. I hate to recommend Reddit, but just read r/sneerclub. The few times I've done a deep dive myself I came away angry at humanity.

Pretension is bad, racism is awful. Reading a pretentiously racist circlejerk makes me want to do harm to myself or others.