Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2015/09/media_misanthro.html

Scott Alexander suggests that absolute numbers may be less meaningful than rates, which has occurred to everyone who has ever looked at a bar graph, but now it's a Scott idea with a catchy name.

quote:

I feel this way about a lot of things.

Yes, show us what haunts your powerful brain.

quote:

The media is always giving us stories of how tech nerds are sexist in some way or another. But we may suspect they want to push that line regardless of whether it's true. How many tech nerds are there? A million? Ten million? How many lurid stories about harassment in Silicon Valley have you heard? Do we know if this is higher or lower than the base rate for similar industries? Whether it's going up or down? What it would look like if we actually had access to the per person rates?

1) gently caress you
2) What's the goal, to say maybe tech nerds are no less sexist than baseline sexism, which is still bad?
3) I bet he's not thinking of the "per woman" rate when he's thinking of the "per person" rate. The former would be a better measure of the effect of sexism.
4) What's the implication then? There's no problem at all? And therefore the low rates of women in tech happens because....?

Scott's like the SNL church lady but instead of Satan it's biotruths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Breitbart gained some reasonability points for being one of the few media outlets to cover gamergate in an honest fashion

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

True, but have you considered that icky girls are ruining everything and need to be stopped?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Rush Limbo posted:

The roots of gamergate go back a lot, lot longer than the visible boil it became. You had a lot of the same poo poo levelled against Stevie Case, Jade Raymond, Jennifer Hepler etc.

As far as I'm aware their only 'crime' was being visible women in the industry.

E: Here's an enlightening thread discussing Case's merits from 2001

I think Case probably weathered the storm of a ~30 comment thread about her on gamedev dot net without too much worry. (I was a housemate of hers way back when, it's weird hearing about her now.) She had to deal with some crap, but it wasn't until later when gamers were finding out they could get away with disgusting, career smashing amounts of harassment of women they didn't like, which was more what Hepler saw.

GG was even more than that. It was in the context of Gone Home, and Anita Sarkeesian softly applying feminism 101 to video games. There was a perceived encroachment going on, and then Zoe Quinn ticked too many specific boxes gamers didn't like. I don't think it was just some sexists being even more sexist, or some omegas crazed by the idea of getting cucked. It was a reactionary explosion, basically as close as you can get to a riot on the internet.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

lovely Scott's take is here, where lovely Scott is furious that feminism didn't crumble into nothingness with the revelation of a nerdy white man's sob story.

If only Scott Aaronsen had gotten his wish and been born a woman or a gay man so that he could just focus on math, free of intrusive oppression, who knows where he'd be today. Somehow, though he fought through the pain to be a success -- as did all the other white nerdy guys in STEM, against all odds -- unlike the women and gay men who have such an easy time of things and dominate the field today.

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"*I* should be an elite, but instead I might have to work for a living? Such bullshit!"

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"The biggest driver behind this shift" is named in the penultimate paragraph. And they don't mention the baby boom ever. I love newspaper articles like that, where the rules of journalism are inverted.

Fake edit of continued crankiness:

Also, thanks GIS, your "no poo poo" fallback mode is really useful.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Considering this, read Scott's piece...

Can you just explain what's wrong with it succinctly? I don't want to sift through your comment for the relevant parts that will help me sift through an SSC post; that is like a double nightmare.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Hi guys. I was trapped in a time bubble on November 9th. It's December 12th for you but only a day later for me. Anyway here are my dumb-as-gently caress election hot takes.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

And here he was a week ago with some bad ideas about history. In which he proves civilization actually is in decline, especially if you define civilization as barbarism.

I think he displays some of his reactionary undercoat, too, with his conception of history that seems about as shallow as Sargon or random DE dweeb or 15 year old. Like, I don't think Spartan > Crusader > Frontiersman > Office Worker is really a string of orange-to-orange comparisons and is a remarkably stupid way to make an argument about historical trends, even for Scott Alexander.

Maybe he has dumbed himself down by over-empathizing with stupid bigots all the time.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I think the "tee hee hee random black women tee hee hee" part is my favorite.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: (1) If you look at part IV of my post

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

SolTerrasa posted:

Fake "celebrity faces"

Honestly those are pretty persuasive; I looked at a few of them and thought "huh wait isn't that... nope, never mind".

Shrunk down and blurry the fake ones seem passable, but when you zoom in I think it's fairrrrly easy to tell the real photos.

Strangely, a few of the fake ones remind me of Ted Cruz. The basilisk made flesh!

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

That won't happen if you select speakers from their list, whose ideologies have been pre-screened as being against ideological screening.

quote:

With a separate application, you can gain access to our private diversity of thought speaker database. This database can be used to screen for speakers who support ideological diversity.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

Everyone should read Scott's godawful recent post

He comes so close to realizing a libertarian who actually cares about results is a classical liberal.

I've heard people mock SSC guy as someone who brags about his own IQ, but his more usual mode seems to be finding men who have higher IQs than him and prostrating himself pathetically. He combines that with sneering at the masses whose boots aren't worthy of his tongue. A Gollum/Smeagol-like creature who falls in love with Saruman instead of Frodo.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

More doormat than Nazi.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Rationalists/lesswrongers aspire to be useful idiots in the culture wars, but I think most of them fail even that.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Scott Aaronson's not innately horrible, just a secret trans gal, and therefore real bitter about gender.

SSC guy OTOH is actually a horrible status quo meritocrat which is why he finds himself aligned with nazis and jerks it to Trump's cabinet picks.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"Evola" is a bit on-the-nose, don't you think? -- ed

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

Milo and Lena Dunham should get married :allears:

an Even-Shittier Universe reprise of Neil Gaiman + Amanda Palmer.

VVV it was a juvenile pun, sorry. I didn't mean to enrage everyone. I get all my knowledge from the great minds on youtube, such as the guy with the animal head or the talking trash can. I guess I just can't get calm & reasonable dialogue here, so this will be my last post for a few minutes.

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"Unskilled non-self-starter looking for unspecified work. Please hire me then train me to do something I'm really smart I promise."

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Even leeches and frauds still gotta show some hustle.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Imagine being St_Rev's roommate and having to listen to him bitch about all the mundane inoffensive crap he was exposed to that day.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

"There's is no denying that Black people on average have a lower distribution of IQ "

Cingulate probably agrees with this, though, right? (If by "on average have a lower distribution" is taken to mean basically the findings outlined in The Bell Curve.)

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The memes must flow.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yes, TDE is definitely what happens when you try to grow collective ethics with 4chan dumbfuckery as the only input.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It's an alt 'right'.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The most charitable I can be is that he's talking about gender as an analytical framework, and NOT really the social construct and enforcement side of things where everyone goes in one bucket or the other. He's attacking the idea that we need more words and terminology for non-binary things, instead of just using the words we've got.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I think lesswrongers will probably believe anything if you turn it into an xkcd quality napkin sketch graph.

Dragon Army leader posted:

link
In my work at the Center for Applied Rationality, I frequently tell my colleagues and volunteers "if you're 95% reliable, that means I can't rely on you." That's because I'm in a context where "rely" means really trust that it'll get done. No, really. No, I don't care what comes up, DID YOU DO THE THING? And if the answer is "Yeah, 19 times out of 20," then I can't give that person tasks ever again, because we run more than 20 workshops and I can't have one of them catastrophically fail.

Oh yeah that's gonna be a real good place to live.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

SolTerrasa posted:

Scott made a shocking claim in there in passing, that men are abused at about the same rate as women, but women are just big scaredy pants ("socialized to fear abuse"). Can anyone figure out how you'd justify or source that claim? It sounds like obvious bullshit, and I hoped that Scott was above that.

I don't think he's saying women being scaredy pants is part of the statistics, just that it plays a part of the paranoia he's talking about. He's still wrong because even though the numbers are close, when it comes to serious injury and death it goes back to being not very surprising at all that women are hurt a lot more often than men.

Anyway, even if Scott is wrong about the objective facts, I think you will find he was just talking about his perception from within his high-trust tribe where people are actually very good and negligibly abusive --- maybe things are different in the other filthy tribes where the minorities and paranoid people and abusers are.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Scott Alexander is such a little turd... suggesting Hallquist does "not have sufficient g-factor to follow the detailed arguments on Less Wrong."

The fact that these guys want to freeze their brains is so loving hilarious and crazy, though.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I feel like SSC guy* should probably go in the OP with succinct reasons why he/it sucks.

There was a post earlier in this thread where someone asked, "What's wrong with SSC guy again?" and someone answered with a great list, but I can't find it. I was a fool not to bookmark it...

(*I kinda refuse to call him by his made-up-name-that-sounds-like-a-boring-real-name because I think it's obnoxious; though TBH it does sort of represent a guise of harmless normalcy.)

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

and it's even more stupid because in large parts of america white guys from that class background really do have poo poo-all in terms of prospects for a plethora of reasons.

I think that tweet subconsciously puts a finger near the problem, though: a big part of the reason they are in a dead end is because they are too committed to some of the bullshit aspects of masculinity.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I know so many trans people who struggle to escape the dead-end working class life they were born into

I don't think masculinity is actually the primary problem on an individual level here

Mental health and discrimination have way more to do with trans people's employability than the general state of the economy. A hundred restaurants could open in her town tomorrow and a trans women would still have problems finding a job waiting tables if she doesn't pass great.

If you're a cis het white dude who thinks your only life options are drugs, mass murder, suicide, or some kind of feminization, then yeah, I think your received ideas about masculinity are a problem in your life.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

A PYF mock thread that gets bored and loses focus and starts making fun of people only vaguely tangentially related to the topic at hand?? Well now I've seen everything :monocle:

I'm not sure why anyone is bored while Slate Star Codex still exists, its pillars untoppled, its flags untrampled, its lovely Scott unwedgied.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/07/29/against-signal-boosting-as-doxxing/

another great pearl-clutching scottpost on the evils of twitter feminists

...or wait, no. the twitter person is not an evil feminist in this case because they're libertarian (and thus grey tribe) and thus deserve the gentlest criticism possible.

Scott: I am very pro free speech.

Woman: *uses free speech to shame a sexist man*

Scott: I have now realized there is an illegitimate form of free speech.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Knowing poo poo doesn't mean you know how to participate in a conversation intelligently and constructively, e.g. Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't say it wasn't a real thing that douchebags do, just that it's a real term used by people who are often douchebags diametrically opposed to other douchebags.

It's douchebags all the way down.

Yes, there is also the useless douchebag POV to consider.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

divabot posted:

To be super-nice to Scott,

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Grace Baiting posted:

I'm a little steelman,
Smart + self-taught.
Here is my bailey
And here's my motte.

When I get all steamed up,
Hear me blog!
Respect my phyg
And :goshawk: my :smug:.

🤖: 🎶:biotruths:🎵

:iia:

I feel like I"m seeing a lot of these guys call themselves individualists now.

If there is any motte and bailey going on, it's them. They retreat into individualism to deny any collective argument they don't like. At the same time they can shore up anything they do like as supporting of individualism (especially "dirversity"). And individualism is an unassailable collective good because :911: