Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

No, every single moral principle must stand on its own, an entire moral code unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

Super Mar if you're still reading this we don't think Scott Alexander is NRX or hate him, he's just kinda... naive...

Like I don't think anyone in this thread hates him, he's just weirdly, i don't know, adorable in how bumbling and wrong he is about everything.

I hate the guy, for some definition of hate.

More to the point, I think lovely Scott belongs in this thread. Yeah, most of the time he stumbles around like Megan McArdle's evolved form, a fake centrist aiming poisonous arguments only leftward. When you add in the implications of his beliefs, though -- especially his thirst for high-IQ übermensch -- I think you get an NRx flavor of poo poo. He's like a horror movie where James Lileks gets a heart transplant, but it turns out the heart is from Josef Mengele.

Anyway the DE is all just conservative fanfic. They're internet shitlords who take the 'lord' part literally and refuse to age out of it. They'd be moderate Republicans if they had more earning potential or could stand being among the plebs. They'd be libertarians if they weren't such fussy little bitches.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Annointed posted:

SO uhm Trump just defended the nazis and went against the anti nazi protestors. Just letting you know, you might now like the upcoming posts in this thread.

Um, this is impossible, because he was certified Not Racist by lovely Scott.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

pookel posted:

This is a controversy I'm mostly unfamiliar with and I hesitate to ask - who would you classify as "et al" here?

I ask because I'm a huge fan of Alice Dreger from way back (via her work with conjoined twins and intersex people) and it looks like she is somehow involved in this thing, and I don't want her to turn out to be a lovely person.

Sorry, it would appear she sucks.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

divabot posted:

no but you see, if you think in terms of "racist", you have to first explain [3,000 words later] and as mencius moldbug notes [another 3,000 words] sinister tendrils of Gramscian corruption [another 3,000 words] please clap

IV

and thus by adhering to rationality and the principles of proper discourse that i just made up to suit this occasion, you see that, in the important ways, i was right the whole time

(edit: omg the newbie avatar is killing me :argh:)

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Aug 16, 2017

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

pookel posted:

Well, drat it. :/

There was a time when she was basically the only voice anywhere saying "hey, don't give your intersex kids surgery to make them look 'normal'" or "you don't actually HAVE to separate conjoined twins." I still really respect that.
Ah, well if she's motivated by some deep belief that surgery to make people more normative is bad, then trans issues are going to be a challenge to her, and it seems that she failed that challenge spectacularly.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

you were right i did thanks.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Curvature of Earth posted:

I've come across this classic bit of Scott Alexander: Scott's fantasy utopia.

It does the libertarian idiocy almost immediately: sure, there are rich and powerful organizations that can force you to do almost anything that meets the entire society's utility function, but it's not called a "government" and that's key somehow.

There's a lot to laugh at, but I think my favorite part is how evopsych is like a key teaching of rationalism.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

divabot posted:

HOW DO THE FAR-RIGHT AND THE RATIONALISTS KEEP CROSSING OVER, TRULY THE WAYS OF SHEER COINCIDENCE ARE INEFFABLE

When you construct an actually good and decent morality, your greatest foes will be the most vile shitbags and the most clueless nerds.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The far-right is freaking out about this random paper

http://pnas.org/content/114/35/9314.full

Finally, conversion therapy for nazis.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

pookel posted:

Where and what is this mythical six-figure job he thinks you can acquire with a "victim studies" degree?

As one of the true victims of our unjust society, this is exactly what Wesley wants to know.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Holy gently caress this is hilarious.

*gasp* It's not hilarious, it's Science, and if you do anything to move politically against the scientists who are pushing those theories, than you are en evil person who is against the very foundation of Western society, just exactly the same as a creationist.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

What the hell was the pro-simulation argument supposed to be, anyway? Beyond "I want it to be true."
Sleeping Beauty problem, basically. Today's tech interview question is tomorrow's tech spiritualism.

Soon: Elon Musk proposes we're all just bloodthirsty pirates splitting up 100 coins of treasure.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I AM SO loving SICK OF THE GALLING BULLSHIT SPEWED FORTH BY THE TOXOPLASMIC WORLD OF OUTGROUP-HATE SIGNALLING LIARS WHO DON'T ENAGAGE IN calm & honest truth-seeking debate LIKE ME AN MY SLATESTARCODEX GUY.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I strayed and read some of lovely Scott's "You're All Still Crying Wolf Article" linked in that article... oh how nice it must be to live in the world where politicians are sincere and the number of actual racists in America is no larger than the number of people literally wearing white hoods.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

You guys are right. I should adopt a left-critical stance, declare my inability to call anyone a racist, and see what sort of social group I end up in.

Edit: Okay occasionally I might lash out in weird misogynist ways but that's not really who I am, please understand.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Can't they just tell the AI to read the sequences?

quote:

2. “AI Easter eggs” – messages, which create uncertainty in the AI about the nature of the reality in which it lives. For example, the AI may start to think that it is in a multilevel simulation with an unknown number of levels, and that the simulation is testing the AI’s benevolence. Thus the AI must always behave as if it is always controlled by an invisible peer.

:ughh:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will give him that he's not wrong.

Men are victims of sexual harassment too; but I think nearly every bit of lovely Scott's article here is pretty dumb and wrong, because he's essentially an MRA who is pathologically individualist to boot, so he can't really reason well about this poo poo.

Like, this paragraph that devolves into weird nonsense:

lovely Scott posted:

(The “structural oppression” model is false, by the way. Homosexual male harassment is more prevalent than the percent gay men in the population would imply, suggesting that gay men harass men more often than straight men harass women. The obvious explanation for gender differences in harassment has always been that men constitute 80% of sexual harassers for the same reason they constitute 83% of arsonists, 81% of car thieves, and 85% of burglars. Since most men are straight, most victims are women; when the men happen to be gay, they victimize men. Men probably get victimized disproportionately often compared to the straight/gay ratio because society views harassing women as horrible but harassing men as funny. If this theory is right then it’s men who are the structural victims, which means it’s your harassment that doesn’t count and you’re the ones who shouldn’t be allowed to talk about it. The “it only matters if it’s structural” game isn’t so much fun now, is it?)

SSC dude is jerking off to the idea that gay men sexually harass each other so much that women lose overall #1 victim status. It's a fun illustration of how straight white MRA types try to co-opt the oppression of black men or gay men.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

is that Big Yud?

I think that person's blog has come up before, maybe not even in LB quotes. She's a trans gal poisoned by LW/SSC/Blanchard.

Edit:

Tobermory posted:

Or, to put it another way, "It is vitally necessary for me to talk loudly and publicly about my masturbation fantasies, and be protected from all social criticism when I do so".

I think it's, "Trans women -- who won't admit that they are merely men expressing masturbation fantasies in public -- will literally be the death of us all."

(Very tired, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.)

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Dec 15, 2017

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

And sexism too. Rationalists seemed essentially to agree with James "Fired for :biotruths:" Damore

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: I really wish ‘weeaboo’ didn’t already have a common meaning associated with it because you could replace ‘weeaboo’ in the original comic with ‘social justice’ and it’d explain what’s happening at universities, and Google and the rest of Silicon Valley, and Marvel and most other media companies, and the mainline Protestant churches, and the Democratic Party

The average American today makes more in a month than their 1900 counterpart made all year. And that was after a hundred years of relatively rapid growth in the 19th century, which is actually when those Dickensian labor practices happened. When incomes were that much smaller, leisure time and safe working conditions were considered expensive luxuries and workers preferred more wages instead, but as incomes rose, workers increasingly demanded and received those things in lieu of pure wage increases. Families preferred to send their kids to work instead of school until they were earning enough that they could afford school. The fact is that those shorter hours, better working conditions, lower rates of child labor, etc. are things that were largely driven by an increase in incomes mostly well before unions were successful in their organizing and government regulators entered the scene - in fact, those people barely played a role at all, they simply were the ones to take the credit after economic growth had all but solved the problem. The relative economic freedom of the late 1800s before the world wars enabled states to take more and more control over economic matters is in fact still the period of some of the developed world’s strongest recorded economic growth. So the usual story is really blaming the cure for the disease - people had those problems because they were poor, not because they were free. And they stopped being poor because they were free.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't say lovely Scott's post was "obvious", because it's actually bullshit that you have to parse slightly.

That post was obvious in the sense of, "It was already obvious that lovely Scott is bigoted towards progressives and leftists to the point of making himself politically stupid as gently caress."

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

His "joke" about filling out his dream cabinet with random black women, perhaps.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It's hard to judge the best, but this felt like the fairest and deepest cut somehow

quote:

“It’s cool to watch the slate star codex guy inch closer and closer to actually knowing something while his comment sections get stupider and stupider”

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Oppression is just a feeling, and it's a bad feeling to sit through a diversity training session where people are saying things that ARE NOT TRUE!!!!! such as that women and black people aren't inferior.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I don't get why, "The funniest trope is the black-white criminal team." Maybe I don't have enough experience in criminal teams, but it's always interesting what the mega-racists think is ridiculously snortingly obvious.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Congrats to her! I am now less surprised that the TERF chapter of NieRoaction: Atomalisk was good-for-a-cis-person.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

JP: Men are just naturally genetically suited for leadership and dominance that's just how it works out.

Also JP: Women, you have to let us win!! *endless ugly sobbing*

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Reading SSC to someone as a form of torture? I believe it.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

stab stabby posted:

Edit: He fully, wholeheartedly believed this, and kept challenging me on my assumption that death is inevitable - "well you only think that death is inevitable because we haven't defeated death yet"

The anti-deathist faction of these guys is so weird, like this obnoxious "Fable of the Dragon Tyrant". This stupid thing made me almost anti-allegory. I think, as a general rule, if you have to reduce human society to babby fairy tale idiot mode to explain your concept, you also might demonstrate that you are only thinking of human society in babby fairy tale idiot terms.

SIGSEGV posted:

The fun part is that, by writing that, he essentially admits that the smarter than thou crowd let at least one clearly toxic person poo poo up their community for years

Ah but you see, the population-level studies will always show that high-IQ people do these things better, so they can never be disproven by any individual level events. Nevermind that the high-IQ people in the population studies are enmeshed in normal society, not high-IQ cults, so they might not apply at all, shhhh no, here, look here's two overlapping bell curves; I win the argument.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

tumblr tried to make me log on to see that stuff. I think it was so terrible he took his blog private. Anyone have a cp?

https://pastebin.com/raw/YTCmWD5s (edit: it is copied into a comment in the reddit post linked above tho)

It's about what you'd expect from a guy who thinks society is too squeamish about medications with fatal side effects. He's probably one of those psychos that thinks a speck of dust in everyone's eye is worse than torturing one person to death over 40 years.

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jun 24, 2018

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

pidan posted:

I don't get why some people are so obsessed with copying and preserving their brain state. They'll still be dead!

I think many of them have a kind of dissociated narcissism, which is a bullshit phrase I just made up but it sure feels right.

They already see themselves as objects, in a way, so they're not sure how an identical object is not also themselves. This would also explain their really tight bonding with other similar people-objects, and their propensity to be extremely tribal, horrifically egotistical, etc. Maybe they CAN see people as instances of the abstract 'people' object, and they can assuage their consciences by saying that they fully support the abstract people object the best possible way (i.e. effective altruism). This allows them so view themselves as a good and moral person-object as they strive to perfect their beautiful thought-garden intellects --- but the only kind of person-object they can truly understand, empathize with, or love, is their own.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also when you pilot the giant robots you do it by mounting a lady doggy style and using some handlebars attached to her back.
God damnit why did I doubt this even for a second.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Okay let's look at his list

1. "In light of Sarah Jeong stuff, let's talk about community moderation." I agree neutral.

2. "I hate John Oliver for being mean to conservatives & the left is just as bad." Scott says neutral, I'd say center-right.

3. "Let's make some hay over the NYU #meToo hypocrisy bait, also I hate Title IX." Scott says center-right; this is just straight conservative.

4. Question about affirmative action arguments, looking for an anti-AA response. Scott says left-liberal. Poster later says they are "firmly anti-AA", this is a right wing person looking for ammunition.

5. Looking for information and arguing against Alex Jones's removal. I guess defense of Alex Jones is "center right" acc to Scott.

6. "Ninja not streaming with women is fine bc gamers be crazy." Scott says neutral, I say leaning right because of total non-interrogation of other side. In later comments poster seems to think Pence rule is not as bad, eh.

7. Sarah Jeong = Laura Ingraham gotcha comment. Scott says this is liberal-left because he is an idiot.

8. "Most cultural appropriation claims are stupid, this one might not be, thoughts?" Scott says liberal-left, I think neutral at best.

9. Someone's oppressing a religious Air Force General. ARGH someone steel man why this isn't lame. Scott says center-right, it's just conservative.

10. Feeling uneasy about portrayal of a Jewish character. Scott says this is neutral; I think this is the only left-liberal comment of the bunch.

Conclusion: SSC guy is a poor judge of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

divabot posted:

occasional moratoria on /r/slatestarcodex content

Secret ShittyScott-lovers.