Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Man, nerdy white guys sure come up with a lot of crazy, elaborate ways to say "I loving hate black people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
He's like the world's most low-budget Bond villain.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Frogisis posted:

There was that Dr. Pepper campaign a few years ago but I'm 99% sure that was Tim & Eric-style parody attacking this trend and way too many people just took it at face value.

I think you're being a bit too generous. Sure, the campaign was meant to be silly and over-the-top, but it's not like they were trying to make a statement. They still wanted men to buy their special manly diet cola. Made the whole thing come across as just obnoxious.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

There are basically those who understand what old MA was saying here, and those who don't. The latter are exhibiting a highly peculiar combination of smugness and despair.

marcus aurelius sounds like a real tiresome person to talk to

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Voter suppression cost Clinton Wisconsin (most likely) and possibly North Carolina but most probably not. She lost it by 3.8%, voter ID laws suppress turnout by 1.5-4%. So unless all the people who would have otherwise voted in NC were intending to vote Democrat and it's on the high estimate, the Democrats still would have lost North Carolina and even if they didn't, they still would have lost the election.

And I'm not expecting you to be nice to anyone. All I'm saying is that while a majority of the people who voted for him saw the nativism as a good thing, there are people who voted for Trump because he offered them something that Hillary wasn't and yes, they're going to vote to not give a poo poo about minorities if they see it as a choice between loving themselves over and loving minorities over. It's really loving lovely but if the Democrats had listened to the concerns of these people when they were in power, maybe we wouldn't be having this argument now. Or maybe I'm wrong and all these people were motivated solely by racism and people are going to keep voting for bigoted demagogues no matter what the left offers them and the world is going to poo poo. I'd like to hope that's not the case though.

hey dude, thinking of life as a zero-sum game between whites and minorities is pretty loving racist

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Where did I say that?

Baron Corbyn posted:

All I'm saying is that while a majority of the people who voted for him saw the nativism as a good thing, there are people who voted for Trump because he offered them something that Hillary wasn't and yes, they're going to vote to not give a poo poo about minorities if they see it as a choice between loving themselves over and loving minorities over. It's really loving lovely but if the Democrats had listened to the concerns of these people when they were in power, maybe we wouldn't be having this argument now.

that is literally the scenario you provided for why whites may have voted for trump besides being racists

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Darth Walrus posted:

Note the 'if they see it as'. I think the idea is to create a convincing, appealing counternarrative rather than letting that idea fester unchallenged.

and what is the appealing counternarrative when you're already so loving deep into this that you see minorities as the enemy?

if they see things that way they are already definitively racist, is my point

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh, I thought you were saying that you thought I viewed the world that way. It's not so simplistic as that. I'm talking about the people in the rust belt who've been voting Democrat for decades but didn't think that Clinton offered them anything personally, so went for the guy that is going to be really lovely for everybody else but promised them their manufacturing jobs back. Still a racist decision, but not motivated by racism and remedied by not coupling social and economic liberalism and leaving economic populist rhetoric to the fascist.

He wasn't hiding his bigotry behind high-minded ideology or even bog standard dog whistles. His promises about fixing the economy were bullshit to even cursory inspection, but all he needed was some fuckheaded excuse to get closet racists out to the polls.

I don't think you know as much about the Rust Belt as you think if you believe it's full of working class whites who were just kind allies to minorities before suddenly some threshold was reached where they were just that desperate. If you throw out social policies as a way to appeal to middle class whites you simply aren't getting social policies, ever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So this is just a D&D thread now, huh

D&D's actually worse than you're imagining atm

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

divabot posted:

Let's get back on topic! This is apparently a college propaganda kit from The Right Stuff:

Could this be ... the return of KOANIC SOUL??

huh I thought you were trying to shift topic

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is Trump a thal, a cro-mag, or a melonhead

he's clearly amphibian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey guys, please stop rushing to insult poptart_fairy every time he posts. It's way more distracting than the posts he's actually making.

hi gently caress poptart fairy