Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I am not a book posted:

I'd normally be upset by what he's saying, but I just can't take him seriously because of those loving cigarettes.

I just need a video where he smokes a cigar or something for the first time, and results in like a 5 minute uninterrupted stretch of him coughing up a lung. And then decided that was good and uploaded it, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah a thread on the FN would be awesome. I'm painfully ignorant of issues both historical and current facing FN Canadians, and I'd love to learn more about them before I move back to Canada.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

RottenK posted:

Who the gently caress thought that "Dark Enlightment" is a good name for their movement?

It sounds dumb as gently caress, like something made up by a 12 year old who thinks that he's an edgy genius

You can't handle the hard truths these ubermensch are laying out like "that dum broken form of government from like 100 years ago was the best" and "Fascism would be great, I totally am not the exact kind of person a fascist regime would kill first for being too weak" so their enlightenment is as dark as the latest Evanescence* album.

*(or whatever kids these days listen to, you get the point)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm five paragraphs in and this has yet to make a point.

I skipped to the end to see if it get better. It does.

quote:

I wish I could close this post by putting these events into some properly Cenozoic context, but I can’t. I’ve moved too far away from Leftism to give a gently caress, and when the dam broke, what value that was made visible by virtue of being stored in a major Mesozoic reservoir ran away into the Internet-in-general. Perhaps those streams can be traced to see if they just ran away into rocky wasteland and thence to some sunless subterranean sea, or if they got trapped in aquifers where they are enriching — or poisoning — things quietly. If this essay illuminates anything latent in Cenozoic institutions like /pol/, or tumblr, or I don’t know what, that a reader was not aware of before, then I suppose this will not have been written in vain.

"Hmm, closing this out with 'I used to be leftist but then I became a little poo poo, anyway I hope tumblr and /pol/ notice me' seems weak, but what if I keep saying "Cenozoic" and quadruple the wordcount..."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Munin posted:

Why is he referring to geological eras anyway?

I presume he redefines the terms somewhere or is he just using them as allusions to current as opposed to from a previous and now outdated era? Even if so though that is drat lovely writing.

I searched the essay for Cenozoic and Mesozoic to see what he redefined them to, but I couldn't find anything. I honestly have no idea what he wants that to mean. At first I thought he meant "antiquated, old as the Cenozoic era" but then it would mean the same thing as Mesozoic and he doesn't seem to be saying /pol/ is outdated so :shrug:.