Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NikkolasKing posted:

That is the greatest difference between Left and Right. It's practically a running joke that people on the Left can never rally agree on anything and are so obsessed with ideological purity that we get nothing done.

Yay for principles.

That's more of a myth than anything that really happens,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pookel posted:

Yep. Mostly it's what happens when right-wingers see left-wingers having a friendly, spirited discussion about something like whether "American Indian" or "Native American" is a more appropriate term, and interpret it as us tearing each other's throats out over accusations of racism.

I see this all the time in the former-Gawker-verse, where we're having a friendly discussion in the comments about some nuance of racism or sexism or what-have-you, and right-wing trolls show up to crow about how angry we are and how we'll never accomplish anything when we're so busy fighting.

It should be noted as well that all political groups are naturally fractious, it's just used against the left because they aren't as successful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't understand how reading the book will help understand this guys interpretation as that isn't how that works. Though I also don't think his interpretation is some subtle satire of um, something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean it isn't going to magically make his words mean different things. It can give you context but it isn't going to radically shift it.

Unless you think this is extensive role play.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Race Realists posted:

goddrat benghazi is having the most glorious meltdown :allears:

He has a weird hard on for Ennis.

Fun to watch him go full CD on it tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Wait, where?

lol if you can't pump out 3000 words in half an hour on anything you've enjoyed enough to actually think about.

Lol if you don't read his post as shrieking into the void.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hackbunny posted:

how could I have known I accidentally wasn't being ironic but 100% spot on. "don't take things out of context to attack them in the most literal way" > proceeds to take things out of context to attack them in the most literal way, over and over and over until accidentally falling rear end backwards into moral superiority, claims victory
and here another rhetoric giant folds like a card table under the slightest lack of fawning adoration. Sam Kriss must really hurt if you have gambled everything on winning through the most and best facts (alternatively). I guess the best the rest of us can hope for - should we be so lucky - is that Dark Enlightenment and internet rationalists mutually destroy each other

I do agree you weren't being inronic, just a shithead who hides behind irony.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh it's just the " disagreement is the same as censorship" taken to its logical conclusion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What.......what point is he trying to make?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But storefront is very mad a white person died.

That is their whole MO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvCjHyTDwA
How does your media of choice smooth this poo poo over every time it happens? Were the car owners nazis? Shouldn't buy VW I guess!

You are getting weirdly defensive about cars.

They are just cars man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

J_RBG posted:

As someone who has been sexually assaulted it makes me feel like a loving idiot to have defended Sam Kriss.

Team politics is a powerful drug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

J_RBG posted:

shut up

What? That is what happened.

It sucks but it's a good lesson to learn.

I ain't judging anyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s not how you respond to someone admitting to being a victim of assault, dude.

Oh fine I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You can enjoy reading the politics discussions without agreeing with them.

Those aren't political discussions. Like he said it's more a lecture, so unless it converts you you will get nothing out of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Yes, I know, I read it several times when I was a kid. I still managed to enjoy reading it because, [video][/video]weirdly enough, I enjoyed reading something I ended up not agreeing with, even at the time. I enjoyed the attempt at creating a society and read it through a lens of "how would someone from this society describe their own society and try to sell it to a modern reader" (I compared it to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress a lot in my head.) I still don't understand why people have decided that its impossible to derive pleasure from reading something even if you aren't "converted". I basically read it as a thought experiment and enjoyed it on those terms. I should probably re-read it and see how I feel, because I was admittedly a teenager, but still.

This is also true.

Because dumb lectures are boring as poo poo and you get nothing of value from it. If you want a treaty on other political views and not them clumsily inserted in a sci fi book.

I mean he you write an elaborate fan fic scenario to justify wasting your time then you do you.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jan 16, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You're posting in the "lets read the works of idiots and comment on them" thread to tell me that there's zero value in reading works that you politically disagree with?

Same. Personally I thought it was fun to try to figure out something about an author when he swings wildly between revolutionary ancap moon colonies that require unprecedented AI power to "function", an ode to fascist militarism, and an exploration of free love communes and a new religion. Comparing and contrasting those is pretty great, and I'm not sure that Heinlein was ever 100% endorsing any of the societies he lays out in any of those books.

It doesn't matter whether i agree or disagree there is no worth in dumb lectures in books that aren't specifically about that. It's like Rands lovely book, whether a libertarian or not John Galts speech is a dumb time waster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

You see they're robot ladies who want to gently caress you so they can turn into a real girl like pinnochhio.

I'm not kidding.

This isn’t really true.

They live in a repressive society we’re emotions aren’t a thing.

It’s biggest issues aren’t the sex thing but the fact it isn’t sure what message it wants to have.

Does get pretty misogynistic tho. Also it’s last message doesn’t seem to figure out gay people are a thing.