Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
"Thinker" is such a generous term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Luisfe posted:

Or they played it and really, really did not get it.

I'm not joking: in undergrad, I knew somebody in my program who really got into objectivism after playing Bioshock. He did come to class on shrooms occasionally, but did surprisingly well in courses.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Alan Moore posted:

The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.

Personally, I think it's more that we live in a world where we're constantly aware of the achievements of people who are way, way smarter than us, who might be better at the things we do than we could ever hope to be. So, in order to feel good about themselves, conspiracy theorists construct this narrative where *everybody else* is stupid and deluded 'sheeple', and they're the only ones who really see what's going on, allowing them to believe that they're smarter/better without actually doing anything to prove that.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

DStecks posted:

No poo poo. If New Vegas was supposed to present an actual legitimate choice between the Legion and the NCR it colossally failed.

On the other hand, I think it's great that the game gives you the freedom to make a completely horrific set of choices; doing good stuff only really has weight if you have the option to do otherwise, and aren't just getting railroaded into being the hero.

The error that these folks are making is similar to the one they make regarding left-wing vs right-wing movements, in that they believe that if there are two opposing viewpoints, both sides must in some sense be equally valid (or invalid).